• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BO 08•05-07•16 - Harley & squad Puddin on the ritz, Nine Lives DOA

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ridley327

What's tracking looking like on Pete's Dragon? I think the reviews have taken a lot of people by surprise, and in a good way, but I don't know if that's going to be enough for a remake of a film that was not much more than a cult favorite in the first place.

Hope SS can pull off profit, it was decent.

Lol, can't believe people actually watched the conspiracy rich Hillary movie. Actually, I can believe it.

Something something Batman something something iconic + chrisevanslaugh.jpg.

Looking forward to seeing how well SS holds. Audience here seemed to love it.

I have never in my life been with an audience that seemed to clearly dislike a movie. Of course they're going to be buzzing, they've just had their senses dazzled in 4K surround sound for two hours. Even that awful zookeeper movie with Paul Blart got a positive response from my crowd. Hell, I've heard tell of Transformers Revenge of the Fallen getting standing ovations, so I don't think audience reactions are really an accurate barometer of what people thought about the movie in the long run. It's like taking pre-release hype pieces about video games as an indication of the reviews to come.

Sorcerer

I hope SS got legs.. Even a tiny one.

Box Office Mojo:

"Looking ahead, in all likelihood it seems safe to expect a drop around 67% or more next weekend with a strong possibility Suicide Squad may finish with a multiplier right around 2.22, pushing hard for a $300 million domestic run, perhaps coming up a bit short."

sirap

I have never in my life been with an audience that seemed to clearly dislike a movie. Of course they're going to be buzzing, they've just had their senses dazzled in 4K surround sound for two hours. Even that awful zookeeper movie with Paul Blart got a positive response from my crowd. Hell, I've heard tell of Transformers Revenge of the Fallen getting standing ovations, so I don't think audience reactions are really an accurate barometer of what people thought about the movie in the long run. It's like taking pre-release hype pieces about video games as an indication of the reviews to come.

This was after reviews hit, and no one seemed positive after BvS was finished. Same movie theater, and generally the same audience (Subang isn't really a big place). So yeah, I definitely think people enjoyed this more than BvS. Of course, that's only based on my own experience, I can't say the same is true about your location.

wachie

Box Office Mojo:

"Looking ahead, in all likelihood it seems safe to expect a drop around 67% or more next weekend with a strong possibility Suicide Squad may finish with a multiplier right around 2.22, pushing hard for a $300 million domestic run, perhaps coming up a bit short."
I'm feeling safe with my first 200M pic of the year prediction even though I lowballed the opening by quite a long way.

Window

giphy.gif

I just wanted to post this gif

The weekend’s other new release, EuropaCorp’s “Nine Lives,” died a quick death. The story of a ruthless executive (Kevin Spacey) who gets transformed into a cat, coughed up $6.5 million, and managed to score even worse reviews than “Suicide Squad.”

VvIA2ZP.jpg

DeathyBoy

Banned

Such a sheltered life. I've seen films get heckled midway through a lot.

I have never in my life been with an audience that seemed to clearly dislike a movie. Of course they're going to be buzzing, they've just had their senses dazzled in 4K surround sound for two hours. Even that awful zookeeper movie with Paul Blart got a positive response from my crowd.

Its rare but does happen. I went to the second transformers movie completely blazed so didn't mind the awfulness but by the end my buddy pointed out that around 1/3 of the people had left. It was pretty crazy to see.

Kite

Did GB16 open in any of it's remaining foreign markets yet?

IMDB says just a few more:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1289401/releaseinfo#releases

Release Dates
USA 9 July 2016 (Hollywood, California) (premiere)
UK 11 July 2016
Ireland 11 July 2016
Argentina 14 July 2016
Australia 14 July 2016
Brazil 14 July 2016
Chile 14 July 2016
Colombia 14 July 2016
Kuwait 14 July 2016
Netherlands 14 July 2016
Singapore 14 July 2016
Thailand 14 July 2016
Taiwan 14 July 2016
Uruguay 14 July 2016
Canada 15 July 2016
Philippines 15 July 2016
Pakistan 15 July 2016
Poland 15 July 2016
USA 15 July 2016
Croatia 16 July 2016 (Pula Film Festival)
Hong Kong 21 July 2016
Israel 21 July 2016
Portugal 21 July 2016
Finland 22 July 2016
Indonesia 22 July 2016
Norway 22 July 2016
Sweden 27 July 2016
Albania 28 July 2016
Czech Republic 28 July 2016
Georgia 28 July 2016
Greece 28 July 2016
Croatia 28 July 2016
Hungary 28 July 2016
Italy 28 July 2016
Cambodia 28 July 2016
Kazakhstan 28 July 2016
Republic of Macedonia 28 July 2016
Serbia 28 July 2016
Russia 28 July 2016
Slovenia 28 July 2016
Slovakia 28 July 2016
Ukraine 28 July 2016
Kosovo 28 July 2016
Bulgaria 29 July 2016
Estonia 29 July 2016
India 29 July 2016
Lithuania 29 July 2016
Romania 29 July 2016
Turkey 29 July 2016
Vietnam 29 July 2016
Austria 4 August 2016
Germany 4 August 2016
Denmark 4 August 2016
Belgium 10 August 2016
France 10 August 2016
Japan 11 August 2016 (limited)
Spain 12 August 2016
Japan 19 August 2016

tkscz

Can't say if SS legs will be good, but I can definately say they'll be better than BvS legs.

I wish WB cut me a fucking check, they gave me money I'd be writing 10k reviews on how BvS is the film Kubrick wishes he could have made while sending Slayven Deadpool panels every thirty seconds via PM

*gets out checkbook*

I make it out to Mr. DeathyBoy, rite

Chamber

love on your sleeve
Box Office Mojo:

2.22 multiplier sounds pretty good after BvS.
yeshrug.png

pestul

Can't say if SS legs will be good, but I can definately say they'll be better than BvS legs.
Well, mostly because of summer weekdays. I wouldn't say anything is definite right now since it appears to have dropped a worse % Thurs+Fri to Sat than BvS did. Given the slate of movies for the remainder of August, WB would hope that it does better though.

Busty

Banned
The idea that a record breaking opening for August is anything short of amazing is incredible to me. I actually saw someone in another thread refer to this as a 'bomb' because it fell under the initial $145m estimate.

There is genuinely no other part of GAF that is so wilfully ignorant and arrogant as film GAF.

Did GB16 open in any of it's remaining foreign markets yet?

The idea that Ghostbusters will finish its run at the international box office with, possibly, less than $100m is nothing short of a catastrophe for Sony.

I will be surprised if 135M holds.

The exact, final number is almost irrelevant as the record is broken. Mission accomplished. Worry about the second weekend numbers is another thing entirely.

3N16MA

Banned
The idea that a record breaking opening for August is anything short of amazing is incredible to me. I actually saw someone in another thread refer to this as a 'bomb' because it fell under the initial $145m estimate.

There is genuinely no other part of GAF that is so wilfully ignorant and arrogant as film GAF.

The idea that Ghostbusters will finish its run at the international box office with, possibly, less than $100m is nothing short of a catastrophe for Sony.

The exact, final number is almost irrelevant as the record is broken. Mission accomplished. Worry about the second weekend numbers is another thing entirely.

I'm just curious to see how much the actuals differ. The real test starts on Monday moving forward.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom