• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BO 08•05-07•16 - Harley & squad Puddin on the ritz, Nine Lives DOA

Status
Not open for further replies.

Effect

Is the budget (minus marketing) that high because they did a lot of on location shooting vs sound stages? Or does that not really matter now?

vinnygambini

Why are strippers at the U.N. bad when they're great at strip clubs???
Yes. This was the point. That is production budget and marketing. Hence "total". Do you feel that you've added something I missed?

MHWilliams, people such as yourself and me are well versed in box-office budgets and so forth, but some might take the $325M and run with it and confuse the saying with production budget without visiting the link - hence me adding the make and market to your quote.

There's no ill intent.

MHWilliams, people such as yourself and me are well versed in box-office budgets and so forth, but some might take the $325M and run with it and confuse the saying with production budget without visiting the link - hence me adding the make and market to your quote.

There's no ill intent.

I gotcha. I went 0-60. That's my bad and you are correct.

Toothless

Nice opening for Suicide Squad but it's gonna drop hard. Saw it and Nine Lives and actually preferred Nine Lives
I was drunk when I watched Nine Lives though lol

Hopefully Sausage Party dominates next weekend at the box office.

Plenty of the songs were written for the movie and are owned by Warner Music Group. Several others, such as Bohemian Rhapsody and I Started a Joke, are also owned by labels under the Warner umbrella.

Probably didn't come at too great a cost. Guardians would have shelled out much more for the licensed music.

and it's not hitting that

i'd be amazed if it hits $600m tbh

Eh, I can't see it struggling to hit $600m. Man of Steel did it pretty easily and this had a bigger opening and more overseas appeal.

$700m may be out of reach though. We'll know in a week.

Is the budget (minus marketing) that high because they did a lot of on location shooting vs sound stages? Or does that not really matter now?

They did weeks of unscheduled reshoots. Not just exposition scenes, either. Action stuff, which is already expensive, but even more so when you're trying to schedule things in a hurry. When you stretch the shooting schedule, but don't push the release date, it creates a post-production crunch. You have to farm out work to more effects houses. I'm sure they burned through the cash in a hurry. Toss in multiple edit teams working different versions of the movie... your budget blows up in a hurry.

MMarston

Was getting caught part of your plan?
The idea that a record breaking opening for August is anything short of amazing is incredible to me. I actually saw someone in another thread refer to this as a 'bomb' because it fell under the initial $145m estimate.

There is genuinely no other part of GAF that is so wilfully ignorant and arrogant as film GAF.

Agreed. The way movie "bombs" is a term so casually thrown around here is hilarious.

kmfdmpig

Agreed. The way movie "bombs" is a term so casually thrown around here is hilarious.

It's also funny how the idea that a movie neccessarily loses money if it does not hit the black during its theatrical run. There are many other ways for movies to make money (licensed products, Blu-Ray sales, streaming rights, TV rights, etc...). Granted, if it gets to that point it's a disappointment for the studio, but certainly not a "bomb".

The bigger concern for WB has to be the continued lack of acclaim for what they're doing. They need a movie to be a clear hit financially and with audiences/critics to generate some goodwill for future projects.

It's hitting 600m definitely, but much more than that is another question. I'm gonna say $630-650, so it's in the black with box office receipts only. Not bad. More or less how BvS performed.

Suicide Squad will be like BvS in the end. It isn't going to lose WB any money, but it isn't going to make them tons of money either, or make future prospects look good. After two films in a row like that, I wonder how that is going to affect things to come.

It is a damn shame too, because the DC universe is rich with so many great characters and stories that would be amazing to see brought to life on the big screen. The DC universe deserves so much better than what the new DCCU has brought us.

Bluth54

It's also funny how the idea that a movie neccessarily loses money if it does not hit the black during its theatrical run. There are many other ways for movies to make money (licensed products, Blu-Ray sales, streaming rights, TV rights, etc...). Granted, if it gets to that point it's a disappointment for the studio, but certainly not a "bomb".

The bigger concern for WB has to be the continued lack of acclaim for what they're doing. They need a movie to be a clear hit financially and with audiences/critics to generate some goodwill for future projects.

Yeah Suicide Squad will no doubt eventually make money. It may not in the theatrical run if it has a big drop, but it will with the merchandise and DVD/Blu Ray/Download sales.

The big issue is this is another DCEU film will with poor critical reception and mixed word of mouth. How much longer is the general public going to be willing to pay to see DC movies before they decide the entire brand is shit and stop caring? Is anyone going to care about Justice League if Wonder Woman is another bad or merely okay film?

I feel like Wonder Woman needs to at the very least have mostly positive word of mouth/reviews and Justice League needs to hit it out of the park for the general audience to care about the DCEU. Marvel has built up enough good will that a bad movie here or there isn't going to hurt them that much. I really feel like DC/WB doesn't have that buffer anymore.

Anth0ny

Eh, I can't see it struggling to hit $600m. Man of Steel did it pretty easily and this had a bigger opening and more overseas appeal.

$700m may be out of reach though. We'll know in a week.

suicide squad has more overseas appeal than superman?

genuine question. I always saw this doing less than superman because... superman is superman, and this is suicide squad. now that the critical reception has been the absolute shits, <$600m sounds about right to me.

Phediuk

Yeah all the marketing for Beyond has been horrible despite it being the best of the Star Trek reboot series.

Eh.

I thought it was really boring. There were no stakes or any reason to give a shit about anything going on. It was like a filler episode or something. And the action was just the usual CGI shit.

guek

Banned
busty plz. don't lump box office or comic book movie gaf with film gaf. might as well throw popgaf in there too while you're at it.

All subcultures on gaf have good things about them but they all suck in their own way as well. Film-gaf is no exception.

Branduil

Star Trek Beyond with Ghostbuster numbers was unexpected.

Expected is that animations print money

Star Trek has never really been a huge Box Office draw. The reboot in 09 was easily the biggest it's ever gotten, but Into Darkness and bad marketing seems to have squandered most of that good will.

Decado

So break even is probably around the 400-450 million mark WW due to theater cuts?

Honestly that's more reasonable than I expected. They'll probably turn a profit just not a large one.
Break even in theatres is more like $700m+. Afaik, general rule of thumb is 50% domestic and 40% or less internationally depending on distribution deals.

This film will definitely be profitable at some point in its lifecycle. Bigger issue is future prospects as WB no doubt want MCU money.

Break even in theatres is more like $700m+. Afaik, general rule of thumb is 50% domestic and 40% or less internationally depending on distribution deals.

This film will definitely be profitable at some point in its lifecycle. Bigger issue is future prospects as WB no doubt want MCU money.

But there's places like China where they get only a 25% cut. So in the end it's more than half, depending on where it sells good. It's probably 750-800 million to break even.

Harmen

Well, there are actually commercials specifically for the soundtrack of Suicide Squad.I don't recall having seen anything like that before. Should bring them some extra money on top of the merch.

Also, the soundtrack (film as well?) has a cover of Bohemian Rhapsody by Panic! At The Disco, but the trailers had the original version by Queen. Not that it really matters, just found it interesting that the version used in marketing is different from the official soundtrack.

Acorn

Well, there are actually commercials specifically for the soundtrack of Suicide Squad.I don't recall having seen anything like that before. Should bring them some extra money on top of the merch.

Also, the soundtrack (film as well?) has a cover of Bohemian Rhapsody by Panic! At The Disco, but the trailers had the original version by Queen. Not that it really matters, just found it interesting that the version used in marketing is different from the official soundtrack.
Clever. "Nothing really matters to me"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom