• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BO 08•05-07•16 - Harley & squad Puddin on the ritz, Nine Lives DOA

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kin5290

Must be gut wrenching for Marvel fans that DC has better box office three films in than Marvel did at the same time. With worse reviewed films.

If DC does this with films people love, they'll curb stomp Marvel if they produce something acclaimed.
Marvel has better box office performances. Large OW are a function of marketing and hype, not a function of good movies. I expect we'll see an abysmal second weekend drop as the poor word of mouth turns everyone who hasn't already seen the movie away from seeing it.

It's certainly an unconventional moneymaking strategy to front load your movie earnings so much by building the movie to cut a 2 minute trailer to build hype, with little regards for the actual quality that keeps people coming.

Kathian

Banned
Marvel has better box office performances. Large OW are a function of marketing and hype, not a function of good movies. I expect we'll see an abysmal second weekend drop as the poor word of mouth turns everyone who hasn't already seen the movie away from seeing it.

It's certainly an unconventional moneymaking strategy to front load your movie earnings so much by building the movie to cut a 2 minute trailer to build hype, with little regards for the actual quality that keeps people coming.

Quite. It doesn't seem that difficult to make the film in those trailers.

Must be gut wrenching for Marvel fans that DC has better box office three films in than Marvel did at the same time. With worse reviewed films.

If DC does this with films people love, they'll curb stomp Marvel if they produce something acclaimed.

This is what I'm saying. These opening weekends prove that DC apparently has a much stronger slate with mainstream audiences (people want to see Batman, Superman, or even the Suicide Squad more than Captain America) or much better marketing.

Either way, if they actually made a great film, they'd be raking in the money.

BLACKLAC

I guess being a DC fan doesn't grant you much to crow about so you need to reach for whatever you can. Ignoring inflation the genre is in a much more lucrative place now than it was when Marvel first started out, thanks almost entirely to Marvel.

Batman Begins (the rare good dc movie) $374,218,673
Green Lantern (just as trash as SS) $219,851,172

Hell Man of Steel brought in less profits than TDW. But please, go on....

DeathyBoy

Banned

How is that unconventional?

Make great trailers, people show up. Make a "good" film with shit trailers like STB, people don't show up.

And Marvel has better box office now. Sure wasn't the case pre Avemgers, their big team up film.

DeathyBoy

Banned
Haha such salt.

How is it salt?

No Marvel film cracked 800 million until their sixth film. They're unquestionably in the lead now, but even with "bad" films DC is destroying the box office. Would Marvel get to 800 mill within RT 30% film?

How is it salt?

No Marvel film cracked 800 million until their sixth film. They're unquestionably in the lead now, but even with "bad" films DC is destroying the box office. Would Marvel get to 800 mill within RT 30% film?

You can't see the salt, but it's really apparent from an outside view. Especially seeing your posts across several threads. You're super transparent, it's hilarious.

guek

Banned
How is that unconventional?

And Marvel has better box office now. Sure wasn't the case pre Avemgers, their big team up film.

I can't tell if you're just trying to troll marvel fans. Clarification needed.

But to answer your question seriously, it's unconventional because good will can run out. It's not a sustainable strategy for obvious reasons. Iron Man 1 and 2 also outperformed Man of Steel and Suicide Squad probably wont beat either. The superhero movies genre is also a bigger moneymaker today than it was prior to the MCU, as others have pointed out.

How is it salt?

This is an idiotic hypothetical. Would DC be able to do it outside of a teamup movie? Will they be able to do it again with their next teammup if it also hits 30%? Would a 90%RT for BvS have translated to 3x the box office sales?

Maybe Marvel WOULD get to $800M with a film as bad as BvS...too bad we don't know how a 30%RT Marvel film would perform in 2016.

Raguel

You can't see the salt, but it's really apparent from an outside view. Especially seeing your posts across several threads. Your super transparent, it's hilarious.
It must be gut wrenching to him to see DC release consecutive movies that barely qualifies as movies and watch them get slaughtered by critics and audiences alike. I say this as a DC fan and one who puts the dark knight in my top 3 or 5 comic films of all time.

You can't see the salt, but it's really apparent from an outside view. Especially seeing your posts across several threads. You're super transparent, it's hilarious.

I just hope he doesn't hide in the community forum like the rest of DC GAF did when BvS' 2nd weekend numbers came in.

SMG

How is it salt?

Marvel has tons of films making bank. So much so they are getting down to guys like Stange, Antman and Black Panther.
DC has just now moved a baby step away from the Super/Bat-man ghetto.

Harmen

Another difference is that Marvel took a bunch of no names and made them huge ip's by making quality products that keeps people coming back (and attracts new audiences).

DC came of the fantastic and beloved Nolan trilogy, hyped up MoS being for Supes as being what Batman Begins was to Batman. Then with BvS we had Bats for the first time since the Nolan trilogy and a first time Batman vs Superman live action film, two of the most iconic superheroes pitted against each other, one of which just had an iconic trilogy. And then with Suicide Squad they heavily focused marketing on the Joker, which is one of the most iconic villains of all time and was the most memorable/impressive character to come out of the Nolan trilogy. No shit these ideas attract huge audiences. But I believe their current output will likely hurt their future endevours, box-office wise.

kmfdmpig

Rth is implying that Suicide Squad made 13 million on Monday, which is not as steep a drop as some thought would happen.

Another difference is that Marvel took a bunch of no names and made them huge ip's by making quality products that keeps people coming back (and attracts new audiences).

DC came of the fantastic and beloved Nolan trilogy, hyped up MoS being for Supes as being what Batman Begins was to Batman. Then with BvS we had Bats for the first time since the Nolan trilogy and a first time Batman vs Superman live action film, two of the most iconic superheroes pitted against each other, one of which just had an iconic trilogy. And then with Suicide Squad they heavily focused marketing on the Joker, which is one of the most iconic villains of all time and was the most memorable/impressive character to come out of the Nolan trilogy. No shit these ideas attract huge audiences. But I believe their current output will likely hurt their future endevours, box-office wise.

You're right that making Iron Man a billion dollar franchise is an incredible accomplishment and one based on the quality of the first film. As much credit as Feige gets and deserves I think that Favreau should also be recognized for really jump-starting the success of the MCU with such a fun and good film.

The Suicide Squad is a bit of an obscure pull, however, as the comic is always on the verge of cancellation due to poor sales. It's never been a major series for DC.

Harmen

The Suicide Squad is a bit of an obscure pull, however, as the comic is always on the verge of cancellation due to poor sales. It's never been a major series for DC.

It is true that Suicide Squad as a comic is obscure (didn't even know it was a comic myself until recently), but for the general public that is just the name of the film. In cinemas it is not unheard of to have the title of a major franchise be something different (look at Bond, or hell, even Man of Steel). The Joker (and probably even Harley) is absolutely a big name that was heavily featured in marketing. In the end the names Batman and Superman are undeniably bigger, but I do think the pull of the Joker is quite big. Which is why he is in the movie without real plot justification (apparently) and why he appears in a music video of Skrillex. WB knew what they were doing.

That said, the marketing has been a very impressive feat by WB. Not only is SS everywhere, it does a good job of selling it. Also, SS as a concept does add something fresh to the whole comic book films formula. Instead of a group of heroes and/or rogues, this time it is a group of straight out villains.

For sure, I don't think anyone contested that DC's slate of characters simply resonate more with audiences on account of pure recognition. Batman, Superman, Joker vs. ... Thor and Captain America?

I mean, you gotta hand Marvel credit for closing that gap with a handful of films, at this point, IM/CA are more bankable than Batman and Superman. They were essentially working with nobodies from the start. Now they can pull in potentially billions with Guardians of the Galaxy, while DC fails to take in $900m with their three biggest characters.

That said, I gotta agree with guek and the others, man, haha. You're super transparent about this whole Marvel vs. DC thing, and it shows. It's been extremely apparent from the moment reviews came out for SS. And that Marvel rose-tinted thread, I swear you comprise like 25% of the posts in there lmao

BumRush

Lmao, I hope this is at least somewhat kidding or you care too much.

kmfdmpig

DC has one key advantage - they control all of their big characters whereas Marvel has no control over some of their best heroes/villains due to deals with Sony and Fox.

The major issue for DC is that they have built up a ton of ill will among audiences and critics, whereas Marvel has built up mostly good will. Whether you or I think that's fair if the average person associates Marvel with fun and well made movies and DC with confusing and dreary movies then that will make people more likely to turn out to see the next Marvel movie and less likely to do so for the next DC movie.

If Wonder Woman also disappoints (I liked the trailer, so I hope it does not) then JL will be saddled with Man of Steel (mixed), BvS (strongly negative), and SS (strongly negative) and Wonder Woman. That's a lot to overcome. Batman Begins, I think is a good example of a film that likely would have made quite a bit more if not for the bad memory of Batman and Robin, which was a totally different production and separated by many years. Even if SS makes money, and it likely will, there is damage done to future movies when one in a series disappoints.

For DC to curb stomp anything it would need to string multiple successes together to start generating some goodwill and start making general audiences excited to go see DC movies. They have a long way to go to get there, I think.

How is it salt?

lmao, Marvel had to introduce their characters and build them up, not a lot of people outside of the USA knew who the F any of these characters were.

DC relied on a zillion Bats and Superman movies. They went in with the big guns right away and walked away.

BumRush

Man, I really wish the weekly BO thread were devoid of comic book fan boy nonsense. Can we try to do that? These threads are an amazing source of information and don't need that.

kswiston

$13M Monday in the middle of Summer is ok, buy nothing spectacular. Guardians made close to $12M and Suicide Squad opened 40% higher.

The Dark Knight Rises opened $27M higher than Suicide Squad and made just under $20M that first Monday.

tkscz

I'll probably watch Suicide Squad just for Margot Robbie in that outfit.

I was not a fan of seeing her ass that many times and she was into every scene, you can tell.

Thus far this movie is far more splitting than Ghost Busters or BvS, at least on GAF. Outside of GAF, I see a lot more people liking the movie than hating it. At least feeling the everything up to the final moments was good

kswiston

Also, there is no point in comparing worldwide grosses of comic films post-Avengers to those that came out pre-Avengers. Avengers majorly raised the genre's popularity for all companies. So much so that Thor 2's (now fairly standard) international gross wasnt too far behind TDK's (which was the second biggest comic film ever overseas after Spider-Man 3 until the Avengers released).

Look at the X-Men films.

gamz

Also, there is no point in comparing worldwide grosses of comic films post-Avengers to those that came out pre-Avengers. Avengers majorly raised the genre's popularity for all companies. So much so that Thor 2's (now fairly standard) international gross wasnt too far behind TDK's (which was the second biggest comic film ever overseas after Spider-Man 3 until the Avengers released).

Look at the X-Men films.

Yep. Iron Man 3 probably benefited the most.

DeathyBoy

Banned
It must be gut wrenching to him to see DC release consecutive movies that barely qualifies as movies and watch them get slaughtered by critics and audiences alike. I say this as a DC fan and one who puts the dark knight in my top 3 or 5 comic films of all time.

It must be gut wrenching for people that they have to ignore the many times I've praised genuinely good Marvel films like Winter Soldier to form an "anti Marvel narrative."

But it seems fitting that I'm turned into a patsy inside a Suicide Squad thread.

So again, for the record, I like the good MCU films. I just don't drink the kool aid there, same way I don't drink the DC kool aid and think MOS is anything other than okay. I like what I like, and I don't sugarcoat shit to appease fanboys.

BumRush

But DeathyBoy, you're in a general box office thread saying that it must be gut wrenching for marvel fans that the early MCU movies haven't made as much as a superman, batman, joker movie, etc. Why do you even need to make that point?

I mean, shit, guardians of the galaxy (who even knew what that was outside of fans) made only $100M less than a BATMAN AND SUPERMAN movie. What is your point, other than to start something that doesn't need to be started in this thread?

kswiston

Marketing is still king among comic films. Look at Suicide Squad. Look at Deadpool. Having characters with pre-existing fanbases helps, but marketing got people in those seats.

Slayven

Marketing is still king among comic films. Look at Suicide Squad. Look at Deadpool. Having characters with pre-existing fanbases helps, but marketing got people in those seats.

Could a good marketing program get an Alpha Flight movie to 860 million? Will it save Captain Marvel?

BumRush

Agreed, but the quality of GotG definitely had more to do with its success than marketing. I mean, it made $200M of its $333M (domestic) after week one.

Could a good marketing program get an Alpha Flight movie to 860 million? Will it save Captain Marvel?

Captain Marvel: Civil War II

Two birds with one stone. A good Captain Marvel movie and something good will come out of Civil War II just like the first one.

This idea should never happen.

dabig2

Beta Flight? No, nothing will save Canada. Carol Danvers? Yes, as long as you put some of the other MCU cast in there to help her out and give her a personality that lets her interact with the rest of the cast in an enjoyable fashion. Let Brie Larson be Brie Larson in other words.

Slayven

Beta Flight? No, nothing will save Canada. Carol Danvers? Yes, as long as you put some of the other MCU cast in there to help her out and give her a personality that lets her interact with the rest of the cast in an enjoyable fashion. Let Brie Larson be Brie Larson in other words.

Beta Flight?

Betaflt.jpg

Puck, Marrina, Canadian Iron Man, and Canadian Multiple Man?

Marvel magic can only stretch so far

tkscz

Captain Marvel: Civil War II

Two birds with one stone. A good Captain Marvel movie and something good will come out of Civil War II just like the first one.

This idea should never happen.

Comic or movie?
Either way, both were pretty meh. Comic the worse of the two.

Comic or movie?
Either way, both were pretty meh. Comic the worse of the two.

I loved the movie. But even if I didn't, the movie would still be leagues ahead of the shitty comic.

And CWII? That's a comic worthy of a Snyder adaptation.

y2dvd

I'm feel the same salt with the Transformers series.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom