• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BO 08•05-07•16 - Harley & squad Puddin on the ritz, Nine Lives DOA

Status
Not open for further replies.

tkscz

Sorry to break up the comic book slumber party, but holy fuuuuck @ The BFG.
The hell happened there?

Creepy CGI, no marketing until it came out, no push for it, very British in tone and released with a ton of competition. It was bound to just fail

Anth0ny

don't forget it came out right when dory came out

who the fuck was going to bring their kids to watch some movie about a big ugly scary looking giant when fucking DORY just dropped

Harmen

It cracks me up that the abbreviated title was tranlated over here, the BFG became de GVR (Grote Vriendelijke Reus in Dutch). Is it like that in other countries as well?

I am aware the books are also called like that, but seeing the abbreviation on big posters promoting a summer blockbuster still seems odd to me.

Suicide Squad having a solid OW isn't too surprising. As bad as reviews were, the marketing was on point and the buzz was there. I think the bigger question is if the negative reviews and any mixed WoM would cause it to tank in its later weeks like what happened to BvS.

As for Nine Lives, the critical thrashing its received, as well as the lousy $6M OW (the film's budget is at $30M...) probably makes it a definitive shoo-in as the undisputed bomba of 2016 (somewhere in Africa, the Gods of Egypt collectively breathe out a sigh of relief :v).

(Those which were not called Ice Age, at least!)

lol yeah. Collision Course looks to be tanking incredibly hard in the US. Only in its third week in and it's close to falling out of the top ten. It'll probably end its run as a domestic underperformer.

Sorry to break up the comic book slumber party, but holy fuuuuck @ The BFG.
The hell happened there?

I'm actually surprised the film is still in the Top 20 TBH.

BumRush

I think so. it got sandwiched between two infinitely more appealing juggernauts.

really no idea what they expected there.

Disney should have released it in September or early-ish 2017 when there isn't much else geared towards kids. They really only have themselves to blame, although I doubt they're that upset given Zootopia, JB, Dory, Cap 3, etc.

I think so. it got sandwiched between two infinitely more appealing juggernauts.

really no idea what they expected there.

I think Disney intentionally sent it out to be buried. It doesn't fit into their currenttentpole strategy of Disney remakes/Marvel/Star Wars for live-action films, and recent live-action films outside that mold that they released were underperformers (The Finest Hours and Tomorrowland).

Their deal with DreamWorks (who originally produced The BFG, but is being branded under Spielberg's Amblin label) has also gone south in recent years (Spielberg's Bridge of Spies, for example, failed to break even domestically in spite of its critical acclaim), and with the deal set to expire this year, Disney probably wanted to get their remaining DW films out the door as soon as possible.

Remember that they really didn't give a shit about BFG to begin with

tl;dr version of above. Thanks Bronson!

BumRush

I think Disney intentionally sent it out to be buried. It doesn't fit into their currenttentpole strategy of Disney remakes/Marvel/Star Wars for live-action films, and recent live-action films outside that mold that they released were underperformers (The Finest Hours and Tomorrowland).

Their deal with DreamWorks (who originally produced The BFG, but is being branded under Spielberg's Amblin label) has also gone south in recent years (Spielberg's Bridge of Spies, for example, failed to break even domestically in spite of its critical acclaim), and with the deal set to expire this year, Disney probably wanted to get their remaining DW films out the door as soon as possible.

I don't disagree, but you'd think if this were 100% the case, the budget would have been as low as possible. It was a massive budget for a film they didn't even care about.

They were likely pot committed for that amount, and they probably didn't put up all of it alone.

Note that marketing was also much smaller.

kswiston

As for Nine Lives, the critical thrashing its received, as well as the lousy $6M OW (the film's budget is at $30M...) probably makes it a definitive shoo-in as the undisputed bomba of 2016 (somewhere in Africa, the Gods of Egypt collectively breathe out a sigh of relief

I typically just exclude low budget films like Nine Lives from being in the bomb of the year running since there are a ton of failed $5-30M projects that get dumped into 300 theatres for a couple weeks out of contractual obligation.

Look at Serena last year. Similar budget to Nine Lives. Made less than $200k domestic and $5M worldwide.

Serena is fucking hilarious because it has Cooper & Lawrence in it, so you'd think it would actually have juice to it

But everyone realized it was shit so \o/

kswiston

Serena is fucking hilarious because it has Cooper & Lawrence in it, so you'd think it would actually have juice to it

But everyone realized it was shit so o/

Even the distributor. Zero marketing and dumped into 60 theatres at the end of March. Did the leads even promote that film?

3N16MA

Banned
$13M Monday in the middle of Summer is ok, buy nothing spectacular. Guardians made close to $12M and Suicide Squad opened 40% higher.

The Dark Knight Rises opened $27M higher than Suicide Squad and made just under $20M that first Monday.

It's pretty close to the same drop as GotG (56% compared to 54%). I think WB will be happy with that. It did not tank on its first Monday.

milanbaros

Member?

I think the main issue with BFG was the budget and release date. It should have been $70m and not $140m. The film should have come out in November time.

As for Bridge of Spies, no film that makes more than 4x its budget WW is anything but a success. Especially a Cold War thriller.

3N16MA

Banned
If they slashed the BFG budget in half the film would look completely different. Spielberg would have bailed and the film would never see the light of day.

Probably for the best.

kswiston

I don't think that kids particularly care for live action stuff these days outside of the all ages blockbusters.

When's the last time thst something like E.T. or the Goonies really blew up?

I guess the first 2-3 Harry Potter films were children's films before they started getting into the later books.

kswiston

My top ones are Order of the Phoenix and Prisoner of Azkaban. After that it gets muddier with the ranking.

I dont have much of an opinion on the series beyond 3 being the best, and the first two being pretty boring adaptations with terrible cgi.

My wife (who was my girlfriend at the time) hated the fifth movie when we saw it in theatres because it messed up some of the relationship stuff from the books. However, I dont know what you can expect out of a 2.5 hour adaptation to a 700-800 page novel.

Penguin

I dont have much of an opinion on the series beyond 3 being the best, and the first two being pretty boring adaptations with terrible cgi.

My wife (who was my girlfriend at the time) hated the fifth movie when we saw it in theatres because it messed up some of the relationship stuff from the books. However, I dont know what you can expect out of a 2.5 hour adaptation to a 700-800 page novel.

I know people who hate 6 for similar reasons (focusing on the couples than the Half-Blood Prince), but there isn't much of a plot in the 6th book.

I think I'd go 3>8>6>5>7>1>4>2

vinnygambini

Why are strippers at the U.N. bad when they're great at strip clubs???
Deathly Hallows Part 2 was the best of the franchise.

Bless David Yates.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom