• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bravely Default - producer interview about genres, localization, social RPGing, etc.

Kenka

OK, you guys are doing a good job at convincing me in trying the game.

I hope S-E will make the right choice. This only time.

Please.

Yeah. A lot of 2ch impressions from further into the game say it gets difficult due to the ways in which enemies tend to use brave/default. Difficult to predict their next move.

Kenka

I got my hopes high up for exactly 200 seconds. Quoting a gaffer from the MC thread:

Just as a sort of append to what Vinnk said (even though I'm in Japan, I still enjoy reading your posts):

-Here in Osaka, Wii U reservations are plenty visible. At both Sofmaps there have been employees standing outfront holding signs that say reservations are open. At Yamada Denki they had a big sign at the front of the game floor and staff was waiting to ask me if I wanted to reserve. Sofmap also had a Wii U intro catalog that I took and it just has some basic information about the system (mostly about the tablet controller and software lineup).

-Ys Celceta is still gone. Everywhere. I haven't seen it in stock in any store (been to around 10 in the last week). Although, it looks like a new shipment just went out (Amazon restocked today and is already down to 18 left with more on the way). Obviously I can't speak for Falcom's projections when it originally started creating the game and the Vita wasn't out yet, but as for it's apparent projections as of shipping, it seems like it has done very well. Doesn't hurt that it is a very good game.

-About Bravely Default, I also find it weird that there seems to be somewhat of a lack of advertising for this game. Even at my Geo, they have a big TV showcase outfront for new games, and they were showing Project X Zone -- not Bravely Default. Strange. Also, regarding Vita Miku, the kiosks/TVs for that are still all over the place in Osaka as well.
You bet it's strange. What is S-E doing.

If this isn't localized... I... I don't know what I'll do. ;_;

You'll import. Or export yourself to Japan.

dengekicodeauctions1p4sjp.png

Those prices... This is what happens when DLC becomes an "achievement".

I got my hopes high up for exactly 200 seconds. Quoting a gaffer from the MC thread:

You bet it's strange. What is S-E doing.

On the flip side, there's tons of advertising for the game down here in Nagasaki. A smaller prefecture, sure, but its definitely being marketed well over here.

A.E Suggs

But yeah as long as the combat remains interesting difficulty is not of my utmost concern :)

Well your in luck, some have confirmed that difficulty does in fact pick up :).

If this isn't localized... I... I don't know what I'll do. ;_;
I know what i'll do, BEG! I need this game i'm not opposed to begging this time around. My 3ds needs to be fed, I'll start buying 3 copies and handing them to friends down the line to those who would never buy it.

What are the chances that Squeenixis just messing with us for some free publicity vs. the chance that this game really isn't getting localized.

I want this game really bad. Hell, I imported the Square-Enix Store Exclusive Limited Edition and I can't read a lick of Japanese.

If this game doesn't eventually come here I will cry.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Im surprised you didnt already have it ordered considering what you do.

There was a small part of me hoping SE would have announced a localization already ( ._.)
My Japanese 3DS needs something to play anyhow and by waiting till the last minute I managed to snag the game for 6000 yen including EMS shipping, so I guess that worked out.

No it doesn't. I'm tired of these campaigns fans got to do to be able to buy a localized game. I want to play it but I'm with that poster. Not doing it. If they don't bring it over because of that, their lost while I give my money to someone who will localize stuff without having to start huge petitions and Twitter spams.

After awhile, I have a feeling more and more people are going to get tired of doing this as well.

Again, "Generation 7 strikes again!"

My god, that OST.

Totally reminds me of PS1-era JRPG soundtracks. Beautiful.

Yeah. A lot of 2ch impressions from further into the game say it gets difficult due to the ways in which enemies tend to use brave/default. Difficult to predict their next move.

dA9vc.gif

You'll import. Or export yourself to Japan.

dengekicodeauctions1p4sjp.png

Those prices... This is what happens when DLC becomes an "achievement".

All the more reason to ignore such foolishness for the above.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
There was a small part of me hoping SE would have announced a localization already ( ._.)
My Japanese 3DS needs something to play anyhow and by waiting till the last minute I managed to snag the game for 6000 yen including EMS shipping, so I guess that worked out.

You and APZ should do your best to remind anyone you can at SE that there will be a major fan revolt if they don't localize this game.

Impressions of the first hour (or two):

Haven't played as much as I want between work stuff and a cold.

The game begins with
Aerie talking to you (she's the fairy of the crystals, seen on the box. The game then prompts you to begin an AR movie featuring Agnes. The marker is on the folded up 'manual' in the box. I thought that this was a weird way to begin, but whatever.

You then watch the four CG trailers featuring each character that have been seen in the various trailers. The order is Agnes, Ringabel, Idea, then Tizz.

You wake up as Tizz in an inn in the city of Caldisra. Caldisra is the tower town from the second demo, I believe. It's beautiful, especially when the game zooms out so you can see the entire town in the screen. This game uses the 3D effect really well - one of the best on the system so far, in my opinion. It's the first game since Mario Kart that I've played almost exclusively with the 3D on.

The voice acting is good. There's not much humor, but it's a serious situation so far. (Kingdom under attack, Agnes being chased, Tizz's town, family, friends all destroyed). All major plot events are voiced and feature either the overworld models or the battle/detailed models of the characters. The animation is just detailed enough and very cute. You still have to press A/L for the conversation to move on to the next dialogue, which is useful.

Something that slipped my notice during pre-release was Party Chat, which is somewhat similar to the support conversations in Fire Emblem. These are optional conversations you can have with the characters in your party (and Aerie too) to flesh out the story/characters a bit. "Party Chat" will appear on screen when one is available. These are not voiced and use only the 2D character art.

Agnes is against Tizz joining her at first, but eventually caves. This felt a little stereotypical to me, but it didn't bother me as Tizz's reactions felt genuine. He basically says to her 'I've lost everything, all in one moment. I have nothing. Please, let me help you.' Aerie basically convinces her to allow you to join her.

The battles, so far, are easy and fairly straight forward. The job system, Brave/Default system, and the friend invite system are all useful and intuitive. The ability-mixing system is interesting and will allow for some interesting strategies later on. Switching jobs is encouraged and inconsequential in terms of money/items.

Defeating the first 'bosses' give you the monk and white mage classes.

You meet Agnes, then Ringabel, then the three of you go to 'rescue' Idea from a dark wizard (the bad guy from the 3rd demo). The first dungeon is a simple switch and open door affair. Rescuing her is the end of the first dungeon. You receive the Black Mage job for defeating the boss.

The 'D Notebook' that Ringabel holds is not only a record of the "future" but also acts as the record of enemies, bosses, characters you've met, weapons, items, spells, armor and so on. It also keeps track of your battle bosses (like 1-turn KO, or No Damage). It's useful and simple to use.

Rebuilding Tizz's town is part of the game. Steetpass and Spotpass increases the population. I have 4 villagers, all whom I brought over from the demo. Some things require huge amounts of time quickly, like 50+ hours, so it's important to have more than one person to cut down building time. Time in the village still passes if the game is on while the 3DS is in sleep mode.

The game offers text 'help' boxes when a new element is introduced. You can close them as soon as they open up if you already know what you're doing and you can review all of them in the D Notebook later if you missed something.

The game is beautiful and fun so far, if a little simple (but it's still early and there is a learning curve). The characters are interesting and the story is reasonably compelling. I'm hoping it doesn't become a convoluted mess later on and continues to get more difficult.

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
what if you can't do any of those?

Then you are SOL obviously.

---

The monk does seem to taper off a bit later on in the game, but its still pretty much the one stop damage dealer vs all the other classes I have currently.

One thing that kinda sucks though is the whole rebuilding the village system makes a lot of the items you can buy in the stores worthless. Esp since your characters can equip pretty much whatever. Im still trying to see if besides weapons, the whole ratings on armor that can be used actually mean anything since from a numerical standpoint does not seem to have any sort of effect on it.

Just one more area to unlock on the town then will have everything opened up. Most of my shops are lv 3 and up.

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
I'm about 9 hours in, really loving it.

The town stuff is addictive, as well as all the streetpassing, has me constantly checking my game to see how things are going.

Like others have said, music is amazing, art is amazing (The thief's den is like straight out of Hobbit animated movie, really awesome)

Gameplay is really great too, was worried that all battles would be in the demo (just default till you have 3bp then let it rip, rinse and repeat) but some of the enemies have interesting patterns that essentially force you into using your bp else you'll be doing little to no damage. The trick being you have to expose yourself to attack. Really fun.

This game has to come out in the west.

Stark

Banned
Didn't know the Steins;Gate writer was doing the scenario. I need this even more. ;w;

Also, thanks for the impressions.

Ugh. Why was I stupid enough to watch a video of someone unboxing the collectors edition? That only makes the lack of localization confirmation all the more painful.

Incidentally, it also spoiled me on the final two classes.

zroid

Banned
Ugh. Why was I stupid enough to watch a video of someone unboxing the collectors edition? That only makes the lack of localization confirmation all the more painful.

Incidentally, it also spoiled me on the final two classes.

When you said that, I couldn't resist; had to see an unboxing for myself. Oh my god it's gorgeous.

I wish I had just bought it and sold the Japanese game.

Sinople

Just finished the prologue and I think I already have the answer to my first question...

Regarding the game itself, my only gripe for now is how everything is so small scale. A grand total of 3 screens for the whole first city (main street, inn and throne room)? That's a shame. And the dungeon aren't much longer either :(

I'm about 9 hours in, really loving it.

The town stuff is addictive, as well as all the streetpassing, has me constantly checking my game to see how things are going.

Like others have said, music is amazing, art is amazing (The thief's den is like straight out of Hobbit animated movie, really awesome)

Gameplay is really great too, was worried that all battles would be in the demo (just default till you have 3bp then let it rip, rinse and repeat) but some of the enemies have interesting patterns that essentially force you into using your bp else you'll be doing little to no damage. The trick being you have to expose yourself to attack. Really fun.

This game has to come out in the west.

The town stuff is great because you're getting stuff done in-game even when you have your 3DS closed.

I typically have peopled assigned to tons of different things through out the day and it feels awesome.

My thoughts are pretty much in line with yours. I'm only 5 hours in but I'm in love with this game.

The game begins with
Aerie talking to you (she's the fairy of the crystals, seen on the box. The game then prompts you to begin an AR movie featuring Agnes. The marker is on the folded up 'manual' in the box. I thought that this was a weird way to begin, but whatever.

Sounds like a great way of not being able to sell your game digitally!

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
I wish the town was something that you could actually run around in and see your progress. That would have made it far more special. Got about 15 hours to go to unlock the final area, then will finish the last building spot on the map.

From there it will just be all about raising the levels as high as they will go.

As neat as this is, I really think it takes away from the shops in game and such. Which is unfortunate.

tuffy

Sweet, I actually found it for around that price
actually 400
. Ordered!
Yikes. I had a copy pre-ordered when it went up on Square-Enix's store and it only came to ~230, even after deputy service fees. I'm surprised it shot up so much.

StayDead

I need to stop checking this thread, it keeps making me go and check my shipping status and that won't change until it arrives in the UK (left Japan Thursday). T_T

Top Bottom