• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Breaking News: Next Xbox Reveal Set For May 21, 10:00 A.M. PST, Livestreamed

Status
Not open for further replies.

kyo27

1PM ET?

Wtf.....

Such a stupid time to hold the event.

Stupid why? Because it's inconvenient for you? 10 AM PST is pretty standard for press conferences to get the most exposure and media coverage. Theres a reason Apple has all their conferences at 10 AM as well.

Bgamer90

Banned
You are out of your fucking mind if you actually believe this.

So it's completely crazy for me to believe that MS will look at their competition and try to find ways to make online play free for users while at the same time still making money from them (through ads)?

Ok.

Never said I actually believe it -- just said that I could see it being a possibility.

You, just like me, know nothing about their plans for Xbox Live next gen.

DieH@rd

Banned
12 GB of RAM is quite OK, assuming a triple-channel memory system (like some Intel ones).

There are zero chances they had the time [and balls] to go back to the drawing board after Sony 8GB GDDR5 bombshell and make any changes to the APU [which hosts the northbridge, which connects to the ram pool]. If they made one mistake, that would mean wasting 4-6 months and delaying the console. They already have good quantity of ram.

So it's completely crazy for me to believe that MS will look at their competition and try to find ways to make online play free for users while at the same time still making money from them (through ads)?

Ok.

Never said I actually believe it -- just said that I could see it being a possibility.

Yes, because I don't expect Sony to offer free online gaming this generation either. Microsoft completely ruined that concept for every gamer.

Miles X

I just realized this will be 2AM in Japan.

Microsoft doesn't give a shit about Japanese confirmed :lol

This has to be a joke right?? I've seen it twice now.

What are they suppose to do, have it at 3am in the US their biggest market so the very few in Japan interested can see it? lol

Ballistik

So Xbox announces it really late. Is it ridiculously close to E3 on purpose so Sony has very little flexibility in changes to their presentation/plan last minute?!?

I just realized this will be 2AM in Japan.

Microsoft doesn't give a shit about Japanese confirmed :lol
Well,MS Japan updated this pretty quick
mF8VKfd.jpg

UberTag

US isn't the only territory they want to reveal this too. Europe will appreciate and tune in given it will be 6pm GMT.
"Hey Europe! We scheduled our conference so you could tune in after work and not miss out.
Here's a bunch of media stuff that only folks in the United States get to enjoy.

Still with us? Haven't tuned out yet? Good, we can also announced that FIFA 14 will be exclusive to the new Xbox! You're happy Europe, right? I know you are. <pinch cheeks>"

TriGen

uh, that's too short. Or maybe not... dunno.

It makes sense. Based off Polyon and Major Nelson, they're not focusing fully on games until E3. If you look at Sony doing a two-hour event they talked for about 40 mins before getting into the games/demos (that took over an hour). That means a 1 hr show gives them time to do their presentation and show off about 3 games, or thereabouts.

kyo27

I don't think it's too short if they are focusing about the specs and features. They said E3 is for the games.

Yea I think they will wait until E3 to have developers on stage demoing games. They will pobably have montages and announce some exclusives hopefully.

geoff keighley said:
Sixty Minute Live Special to Reveal The New Generation of Xbox, Telecasting Commercial-Free on Spike TV, Xbox Live, and Microsoft and Viacom Digital Properties, Tuesday May 21 at 1 PM ET / 10 AM PT

Hmm. So this is going to be the mainstream pitch then. GAF probably won't like it as it will be Kinect/TV/Entertainment heavy. But on the other hand, I expect GAF will love the E3 presentation because it will probably be a presentation of game after game.

60 minutes is good assuming it's action packed. Sony's was WAY too long and had too much filler. We had some dude going on about tank doors and sound effects for 20 minutes, the super pretentious lead up to the new Infamous, and some car nut getting hot and bothered talking about a sim racer that'll probably be overshadowed by GT when it comes out

Hawk269

There are zero chances they had the time [and balls] to go back to the drawing board after Sony 8GB GDDR5 bombshell and make any changes to the APU [which hosts the northbridge, which hosts the memory controller]. If they made one mistake, that would mean wasting 4-6 months and delaying the console. They already have good quantity of ram.

But yet Sony did have the balls to do it? I mean, did you even watch the PS4 presentation? The guy made it such a major point to say that it is 8gb of Ram because initially is was not going to be 8gb or Ram. To think that Sony was able to switch and MS can't is pretty stupid.

Reveal a couple of games.
Tell me the specs.
Tell me you can play offline if you own the disk.
Show Halo 2 remake the one i didn't play.
Show exclusive Destiny dlc :p

Then maybe i will buy it day one.

Bgamer90

Banned
So Xbox announces it really late. Is it ridiculously close to E3 on purpose so Sony has very little flexibility in changes to their presentation/plan last minute?!?

That, and also because this will set up the Next Xbox in a better position to not lose hype during the months before it's released.

Especially if rumors are true that MS is planning a September launch for the Next Xbox.

iamvin22

Industry Verified
That would be way to expensive unless MS decides to take some major losses at first, which they can easily afford to do over Sony, but to expect 16gb of GDDR5 is nuts. I say, 12gb of DDR3 is more realistic. This gives them more freedom to allocate a full 8gigs to games and the other 4 to OS/Cable stuff etc.

why did you feed him?;)

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Timezone-wise, is it even possible to make an event which is viewable in US + Europe + Japan?
Not really. MS just chose to focus on their biggest markets, which makes sense. That's why that MS employee grilled MS for alienating UK/Europe.

I really think it has more to do with the positioning of marketing and their schedule for future events and stuff more than trying to play chess with Sony.

Withnail

Interesting time to hold it. That tells me they're hungry for success in Europe.

Really looking forward to seeing what they've been cooking.

Trey

The seventeen people in Japan who care about Xbox will be up at 2AM to catch the stream. It's not a big deal - good time for MS to announce live to their major markets.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom