• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Britain to lose EU 'Crown Jewels' of Medicine and Banking within 'weeks'

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chittagong

Gold Member
UK leaves EU. EU institutions can't reside in UK. How is this news?

The more important news is that none of the members will negotiate a trade deal with UK before the exit deal is done. And that's not exactly news either. Except for May perhaps.

The more important news is that none of the members will negotiate a trade deal with UK before the exit deal is done. And that's not exactly news either. Except for May perhaps.

That's actually news for a lot of people. Some on here were even claiming deals would be hashed out before we left, now we have confirmation that won't be case.

This whole thing is silly. EU institutions were always going to leave the UK, EU institutions are based in the EU, not in some foreign country, which the UK is becoming.

It doesn't mean the financial industry is moving, or the medical one. The speed might be surprising, and nobody agreeing to early trade deals might be news to more hopeful folks, but that was also "known".

All it means for the moment, is that EU institutions should be based in the EU, and Britain is in the process of being not-EU, ergo, the institutions need to move. And even the timing makes sense, I'd guess moving this sort of things takes it's time.

The rest, financial and medical industry moving / changing due to Brexit is also coming, but nobody knows what exactly that'll entail, since the negotiations haven't ended yet...

The sky isn't falling.

operon

This whole thing is silly. EU institutions were always going to leave the UK, EU institutions are based in the EU, not in some foreign country, which the UK is becoming.

It doesn't mean the financial industry is moving, or the medical one. The speed might be surprising, and nobody agreeing to early trade deals might be news to more hopeful folks, but that was also "known".

All it means for the moment, is that EU institutions should be based in the EU, and Britain is in the process of being not-EU, ergo, the institutions need to move. And even the timing makes sense, I'd guess moving this sort of things takes it's time.

The rest, financial and medical industry moving / changing due to Brexit is also coming, but nobody knows what exactly that'll entail, since the negotiations haven't ended yet...

The sky isn't falling.
Things are looking pretty good. Whatever helps you to sleep better at night I guess

I saw an article in the express (lol I know) where Ireland was being portrayed as sneaky, disingenuous, traitorous, because instead of siding with the UK the minister confirmed something along the lines that Ireland acting with the other EU 27. No appetite trade negotiations etc.

We chose to side with the EU over the UK.

It's like they can't understand we didn't chose to side with the EU, We Are the EU.

There was no other way it was going shake out.

Comments were golden too.

LOL, negotiations haven't ended yet.

When did they start?

Shortly after the British voted to leave, initial arguments from Britain were "We'll eat all the cake and still have it, smelly Euros will fold without glorious Britannia", countered by the EU position of "Actually, you'll get nothing and you'll like it, nobody likes you guys, this isn't the 19th century anymore".

More grownup arguments followed from there, but I'd guess we're still pretty close to the initial positions...

I saw an article in the express (lol I know) where Ireland was being portrayed as sneaky, disingenuous, traitorous, because instead of seeing with the UK the minister confirmed something along the lines that Ireland acting with the other EU 27. No appetite trade negotiations etc.

It's like they can't understand we didn't chose to side with the EU, We Are the EU.

It's the British old paranoia since Napoleon that a somehow united Europe would be directed against the UK. Being in the EU, enjoying benefits and special deals for decades wasn't able to fix that.

Can't be helped at that point.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4

The sky isn't falling.
Yet David Davis running around like a beheaded chicken, telling people that no decision has been made yet (Financial Times).

David Davis, Brexit secretary, does not accept that the two agencies and roughly 1,000 staff will have to move from London's Canary Wharf, even though the EU is about to run a competition to relocate them.

A UK Brexit department spokesman said: ”No decisions have been taken about the location of the European Banking Authority or the European Medicines Agency — these will be subject to the exit negotiations."

Mr Davis may simply be putting the agencies into the wider Brexit negotiation in the expectation that they can be traded for a concession elsewhere; EU officials say there is no question they must move.

Also negotiations have not started yet. So if this is how things are going to play, somebody is about to get a dressing.

Shortly after the British voted to leave, initial arguments from Britain were "We'll eat all the cake and still have it, smelly Euros will fold without glorious Britannia", countered by the EU position of "Actually, you'll get nothing and you'll like it, nobody likes you guys, this isn't the 19th century anymore".

More grownup arguments followed from there, but I'd guess we're still pretty close to the initial positions...
I can get actual citations about glutinous cake quotes, yet for the life in me, I cannot see any European officials saying anything like that. As a matter of fact, the EU has been rather germane about it and gave countless warnings about what would happen.

StayDead

yeah? those two aren't mutually exclusive you know. some people are okay with the economic cost of sovereignity.

We were already sovereign and that's what pisses me off so much.

The government could've changed half of the things they promised in the leave campaign years ago with our current cushy position with in the EU. The tories just did what they've wanted for 40 years and let the crazy anti-EU backbenchers win by giving them a referendum which they then spent millions of pounds in supporting the leave campaign.

It's the exact same thing as what happened with the AV vote. FPTP is awful, we could've had something better, but the tories knowing how good it was for them poured millions in advertising an anti-AV sentiment. AV never had a chance.

Nordicus

I saw an article in the express (lol I know) where Ireland was being portrayed as sneaky, disingenuous, traitorous, because instead of siding with the UK the minister confirmed something along the lines that Ireland acting with the other EU 27. No appetite trade negotiations etc.

Next you're gonna say the Irish use Euro instead of sticking with good ol' pounds!

Xando

I mean it's pretty clear that british politicians overplayed their hand by thinking the EU would shake from Brexit and that they still were able to project so much power to force decisions like they when they were a superpower 100 years ago.

The only question is whether they truly believe this nonsense or they're just lying their ass off.

Yet David Davis running around like a beheaded chicken, telling people that no decision has been made yet (Financial Times).

Also negotiations have not started yet. So if this is how things are going to play, somebody is about to get a dressing.

Davis is a clown and he will say whatever shit sticks with the brexit crowd.

John_B

Britain should be a clear example of the costs involved with leaving the EU. Voters in other EU countries will then better understand what will happen if they decide to leave.

Right now all these nationalist political parties are presenting fictional futures outside the EU.

Acorn

I can get actual citations about glutinous cake quotes, yet for the life in me, I cannot see any European officials saying anything like that. As a matter of fact, the EU has been rather germane about it and gave countless warnings about what would happen.
We just need to imagine that the EU financial and medicine agencies are here and it'll be true.

Brexit is like the secret except dumber, failure is because of a lack of belief from non brexiteers​.

I'm exaggerating for effect, I'm assuming the British are still down for this sort of thing, surely Brexit doesn't mean the end of everything that is good and decent about them... :D

Joni

I'm exaggerating for effect, I'm assuming the British are still down for this sort of thing, surely Brexit doesn't mean the end of everything that is good and decent about them... :D

The truth is one side is a toddler and the other side is the parent putting it in the corner after it drew on the walls.

boxoctosis

It clearly doesn't. The thing for me is that there are clear and immediate costs for Brexit, which the Remain side will point at and make capital from. Or try to, I'm not sure either side is listening any more, if they ever were. And the benefits from Brexit are longer term and somewhat nebulous (not being attached to the creeping federal super-state, not being subject to the downsides of free movement of people and capital for instance). So there's an asymmetrical side to any thread or discussion like this.

KonradLaw

Isn't the biggest threat to UK that EU wants to punish them?

Economically, UK and EU probably both want to get as close as possible to what they had before brexit, but EU can't establish a precedent of leaving being not painful at all.

Not really. Everybody wants a good deal, but what counts as a good deal for UK would give them unfair advantage in EU market over actual EU countries. And that won't happen. Since Brits seem to be keen on regaining as much independence as possible their access to single market will without a doubt be limited.

ittoryu

It clearly doesn't. The thing for me is that there are clear and immediate costs for Brexit, which the Remain side will point at and make capital from. Or try to, I'm not sure either side is listening any more, if they ever were. And the benefits from Brexit are longer term and somewhat nebulous (not being attached to the creeping federal super-state, not being subject to the downsides of free movement of people and capital for instance). So there's an asymmetrical side to any thread or discussion like this.
creeping federal super state? Ok...

jelly

Stop taking EU jobs away from the UK you big EU meanies! We hate the EU!

I think the government presumes London is so important that the EU has to concede on these things in a deal and I don't disagree with the former. We will have to wait and see but not looking good. Nothing is coming as surprise, we all knew this was likely possible. I still can't quite grasp what the government thinks they'll get out of Brexit, their jobs are safe, tax haven, buddies with business, get rich. Are they idiots or selfishly riding the gravy train to retirement?

avaya

It's on both sides, had one remainer post it would great that people may die yesterday.

It was me. I have no qualms about saying it again. One of the likely outcomes from this is the death rate and destitution amongst the demographic that voted for this will likely rise. I consider that a small positive in the long run. I want less racists. I would prefer they die off faster.

The funny thing is, I didn't vote for any of that. You did.

War Peaceman

You're a big guy.
Stop taking EU jobs away from the UK you big EU meanies! We hate the EU!

I think the government presumes London is so important that the EU has to concede on these things in a deal and I don't disagree with the former. We will have to wait and see but not looking good. Nothing is coming as surprise, we all knew this was likely possible. I still can't quite grasp what the government thinks they'll get out of Brexit, their jobs are safe, tax haven, buddies with business, get rich. Are they idiots or selfishly riding the gravy train to retirement?

Some are true believers, some are cynics who've spent a long time whipping people into a fury over the EU (Boris used to make up stupid regulations to complain about in newspapers) that now they have to face the consequences.

It is possible that we could flourish outside the EU. Technically that is possible. But for such a vast undertaking one would demand a rigorous and extensive plan. There is none. There is no visible strategy even for the negotiations. I hope that it works out well, but putting the three amigos in charge of Brexit was a huge error. Politically it makes sense to do so, but May is far too cynical in this regard.

It was me. I have no qualms about saying it again. One of the likely outcomes from this is the death rate and destitution amongst the demographic that voted for this will likely rise. I consider that a small positive in the long run. I want less racists. I would prefer they die off faster.

The funny thing is, I didn't vote for any of that. You did.

Classy, and complete bollocks.

seanoff

Is it? The only country I know that has an overtly discriminate immigration policy is Australia.

Is it?

Australia along with Switzerland are the two countries with the highest immigration rates.

So Australia has 526,000 born in China, 470,000 Indian born, 236,000 Vietnamese, 246000 Philippinos, 166000 Malays, 100000 Koreans, 90000+ Lebanese and Sri Lankans, 73000 Indonesians, 62000 Fijians, etc etc. and 600000+ NZers many of who are Maoris. There are 2.4M people born in South and East Asia living in Australia.

So there are East Asians of many flavours, Pacific Islanders, South Asians, a good number of the Middle East etc These are pretty big numbers in a population of 24M.

The percentage of Australians identifiying as Chinese heritage is about the same as all Asians in the USA. That doesn't count the Viets, Malays, Koreans, Japanese, etc which takes the East Asian percentage to close to 10%.

Now the refugee boat people policy is fucking awful and inhuman. But that's an example where the government decreed they did not want boat arrivals which was a huge business for people traffickers. But that doesn't excuse the treatment of the people that arrived. Its overly harsh and terrible.

Like the USA we have a lot of people from the neighbourhood, ie SE Asia. Less from places further away. But that's hardly surprising.

Bleepey

If I was the govt I'd advocate for free movement with Oz, Nz and Canada in exchange for not engaging in Brexit. Call it the Dominion or The White Dominions if not subtle enough for the xenophobes. The racists can deal with the easier immigration from antipodeans and Canadians by the fact they can go to Oz and stuff easier. The EU may be open to the idea since it can stop the uk being involved in shitting the bed for other EU countries by leaving. I think this could allow them to leave with a huge win that the racists could deal with.

8bit

Knows the Score
Some more info on the EMA stuff, almost every other country in the EU wants it.

http://www.fiercebiotech.com/biotec...es-lengthens-as-head-calls-for-rapid-decision

The prize for claiming the EMA is an organization with an annual budget of €322 million (around $340 million) and almost 900 highly skilled workers, as well as an influx of around 36,000 experts a year to its meetings—a valuable asset for any EU country and its pharma industry. The U.K. has hosted the EMA since it was formed in 1995.

There had been suggestions that it may be possible for the EMA to remain in the U.K. in the wake of the U.K. referendum that called for Brexit, but that idea became untenable when the British government confirmed it would no longer be subject to the decisions of the European Court of Justice. Now, the emphasis is on maintaining as close ties as possible between the EMA and the U.K.'s Medicines and Healthcare products Regulatory Agency (MHRA).

As a leftist you should be OK with free movement of people and all that, freedom to live wherever you want? Sounds like a good thing.

I'm going to post this, it's from Twitter, but it sums up what I think pretty well.

ZIYiFvT.jpg

TCRS

Banned
So this was the message the Leave side was putting out all along? My mistake; all I can remember from last year was the laughing off of the silly notion that we wouldn't get a wunderdeal of having the same access to the single market/financial passport, while giving nothing in return for as the gift of trading with us would be enough to make the EU member states bend over backwards for us.

I must be getting things mixed up.

I can only speak for myself but it was clear there's going to be an economical impact.

You already had sovereignty.

What you voted for was a racist platform, you can try an deny it and claim it was for sovereignty and other bullshit, but you know what the vote for Leave was really about.

The problem is that Leavers are a bunch of cowards who won't admit they voted primarily for a racially charged campaign and message. Cowards to the end and that's why all Leavers deserve to suffer.

Binding decisions made by officials elected by other countries doesn't sound like sovereignity for me.

And of course the anti-immigration course was part of the appeal, even if the tone was rough. I don't think I've ever made a secret about not being a fan of mass immigration. What's interesting is that you think being anti-immigration automatically means being racist at which point I can safely disregard your future posts on this matter.

Aaaaand, I stopped reading.

Ever closer union, more and more decisions made by Brussels. How does that not sound like a federal super state? The comission is even trying to control the energy sector now when the treaties make clear that it's a national issue. But that doesn't stop those leeches from their power grab.

Binding decisions made by officials elected by other countries doesn't sound like sovereignity for me.
Would you also say that your local town needs to be able to make all decisions themselves? Should Scotland, Northern Ireland, Wales, be able to 100% decide everything on their own?

Also, the UK has a say and veto in every important decision. Blame your own government for not using it.

Ever closer union, more and more decisions made by Brussels. How does that not sound like a federal super state? The comission is even trying to control the energy sector now when the treaties make clear that it's a national issue. But that doesn't stop those leeches from their power grab.
Give me a downside of more energy integration please that these "leeches" want to force upon you? You might notice that all EU states import and export energy from each other, which is needed in the transition to green energy to deal with demand peaks and lows. Or is this about energy saving vacuum cleaners or light bulbs?

boxoctosis

As a leftist you should be OK with free movement of people and all that, freedom to live wherever you want? Sounds like a good thing.

I don't agree. Weak control of free movement of people isn't always a good thing for a society, as the UK and Europe is finding out.

In any case, free movement is a myth, it's only free movement within the EU. I think a lot of people who advocate free movement would think again if we opened it up globally. There would be chaos.

Here's the big question though (and I do want to point out, the UK government already made a statement before triggering Article 50 to say we always had sovereignty - the fact we're able to leave shows that) but what decisions made by the EU did you disagree with?

I don't agree. Weak control of free movement of people isn't always a good thing for a society, as the UK and Europe is finding out.

In any case, free movement is a myth, it's only free movement within the EU. I think a lot of people who advocate free movement would think again if we opened it up globally. There would be chaos.
Of course free movement on a global scale is bad, since the economic differences are too large. That is why the EU has rules and standards that states have to meet before joining.

GAF regularly calls 'leavers' cunts, racists, xenophobes etc. and nobody bats an eye. Someone calls a 'remainer' remoaner and everybody loses their mind! NeoGAF!

OT none of this is surprising, but calling them Crown Jewels is a bit sensationalist.

Aww bless.

Maybe leave voters should stop being racist and xenophobic. I find that kind of behavior can give off a somewhat cuntish impression.

Xando

What does that even have to do with EU FoM? Who is talking about global FoM? Are you literally making shit up now to explain how you claim to be from the far left but voted because of far right reasons?

Which is why it's limited to the EU. Economic blocs open themselves up to worker movement, it's a result of close economic integration. It isn't a bad thing. And it is controlled. You have 3 months to look for a job and you have to leave if you can't support yourself after that time. I don't want global FoM either, and no advocate of free movement except for anarcho-capitalists wants that. But I believe that free movement between countries in economic blocs is the way of the future. You've got Mercosur and the African Union wanting the same between their members, as an example of 2 trade bodies advocating this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom