• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BritGAF |OT5| Superb Birds, Absurd Turds and Disturbed Nerds

Status
Not open for further replies.

Symphonia

Banned
ZxPsWer.jpg

Aw yiss.

SmokyDave

That's two songs about toast.

I fucking love toast.

Just for you, Cy:

Streetband said:
Morning all. I'd like to tell you about when I was a young boy. Musta been three or four months old at the time. I didn't really know what I wanted, and if I did, I wouldn't have been able to tell anybody, 'cause all I could do was gurgle. So I sat there in me high-chair, thinking one day, looking at me tray and thinking what I'd give for a meal on there. So I started looking round to see what I could have. I was rubbing me eggy soldier in me head, trying to think, and then I looked in the corner and there's a little bread bin with its mouth open, just staring at me, like. And then I looked in and I saw bread.

I thought, oh yeah, I'll have toast,
A little piece of toast.

Well, then I started getting older
I hated this, I hated that
Expensive state was ludicrous
And cafes couldn't cater
For the finer things in life
The upper crust was not for me
I could tell that
So I'd go back home
Switch the kitchen light on
Put the grill on
Slip a slice under

And have toast
A little piece of toast

'Cause there's so much to choose from
There's brown bread, white bread
All sorts of wholemeal bread
It comes in funny packages
With writing on the side
But it doesn't matter which one you have
'Cause when you cut the crusts off
Have it with marmalade
Or butter, cheese, tomatoes, beans, banana
Or chocolate if you're strange
It doesn't really matter

Oh no, it all goes with toast
Just toast

I'm gonna think about it some

boo-boo-boo-boo-boo-boo-boo

That's toast
Mmm yeah
Just toast

That's toast
Just toast

Well I go down the supermarket
With me basket in me hand
I'm walking from one counter to another
Trying to find the bread stall
But I can't find it anywhere
And then I bump into a mother
With a baby in a basket
And she says

Oh look, you've started him off again
I come down here for a little bit of peace and quiet
To get some bread to go home to make toast

Just toast
I like toast

Yeah, but I don't half like toast

OK, scrape that toast, boys

Good, that's toast
Yeah, just toast

I can't think about it any more. I've got to go and have some, it's no good
Here listen, I'm getting a bit browned off standing here
Me too
Shall we go and have some toast?
Good idea
Why not?
OK
I've got the grill on
Got any brown bread?
Yeah
Have you got wholemeal bread? Wheatmeal bread? All sorts of toast
Let's go

Streetband - Toast.

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
"Sha la la la la la la la la la la dee dah dee dah dee dah dee dah dee dah dee dah dee sha la la la la la la la la la la la la dee dah la dee dah la dee dah la d-d-d-d-d-d-d-d-d-d..."

- Brown Eyed Girl, Van Morrison

sploatee

formerly Oynox Slider
Point!
Left right front point!
Left right back point!
Left right flat point!
View!
Point!
Point of view!
Point of viewpoint!
Point of viewpoint!
Point!

x30.

Point of Viewpoint - Cornelius.

What does an inventory involve? Yes, this property has walls, windows, doors, floors...

I also do not like estate agents. I have rarely had what you would define as a good experience with them.

it's an unfurnished flat as well, there isn't even an oven haha, so the inventory is even more baffling. i think generally it is to note the state of the property as well as its contents but still, the fact estate agents seem to have carte blanche to charge what they wish is maddening.
we've had a particularly tough time because our last estate agent was refusing to give a reference for us because they no longer represent the property we rented. they told us the new owners would have to do that despite us never dealing with them and having a contract with the original estate agent. this could fuck up our application you bucket of fucks!

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah, there is a cumulative multiplier on damage with every successive strike, which is why stamina is the single most important stat in the game. Fuck health, that's for people who are willing to fail!

Is that true? I always thought it just added the damage of each strike.

Hahaha! Rumbled! It wasn't my plan, but I noticed that if I strung together a few attacks it really damaged it. So I just dodged and then a chain of attacks and then as soon as the second one came down went crazy.

I was more proud of taking down that metal demon thing to be honest! And the black knight in the undead burg.

I can't wait to get to Ornstein and Smough. I will get my arse handed to me and love it 😄

I just started again last night. So much better than DS2 on every front. Going for a fencing/rapier type build. I need to find some feathered cap and a pencil thin moustache. /nerdage

sploatee

formerly Oynox Slider
Is that true? I always thought it just added the damage of each strike.

I just started again last night. So much better than DS2 on every front. Going for a fencing/rapier type build. I need to find some feathered cap and a pencil thin moustache. /nerdage

I saw you come online!

I enjoyed using the estoc quite a lot, but I don't know anything about builds yet, apart from that my character is rather dexterous and strong but also incredibly stupid. It's very satisfying to figure these things out, though, isn't it?

I had been saving titanite shards and then realised that you can ninja-ify weapons fairly cheaply. I've still not used any humanity yet. In fact, the only item I've used apart from estus and titanite is one homeward bone. I'm scared to use anything else in case I need it! Still not entirely clear on magic or ranged weapons, but looking forward to experimenting at some point.

The_Poet

Banned
I saw you come online!

I enjoyed using the estoc quite a lot, but I don't know anything about builds yet, apart from that my character is rather dexterous and strong but also incredibly stupid. It's very satisfying to figure these things out, though, isn't it?

I had been saving titanite shards and then realised that you can ninja-ify weapons fairly cheaply. I've still not used any humanity yet. In fact, the only item I've used apart from estus and titanite is one homeward bone. I'm scared to use anything else in case I need it! Still not entirely clear on magic or ranged weapons, but looking forward to experimenting at some point.

I know you don't like advice too much, but use humanity, and reverse hollowing! Especially before boss fights.

NinjaBoiX

Sploatee, I know that you want to discover things on your own, but some things to consider early on so you don't waste loads of souls and humanity later:

Builds (strength/dex):

Focus on one or the other, as most weapons only scale with one stat. Some scale with faith and humanity as well, but in the main you're better off focusing on either strength or dex. Some dex weapons have a specific strength requirement and vice versa, so you want to pour a bit into each, but going much over 20 with each starts to become a waste of souls, unless you're fulfilling the requirements for a specific weapon.

Humanity:

Humanity raises the frequency of drops, it's effectively a luck stat, so you should keep it for later in the game for farming purposes. Also, bear in mind there is a soft cap at 10 I believe? Any humanity stacked after that point has little, if any effect.

This isn't "ooh, mystery!" stuff, more general game tips that you'd do well to observe early on.

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
Oh really? I always saw the numbers counting up as the damage of each strike rather than a cumulative total.

I'll take your word for it dude, you know the game better than I!

I think so. I could be wrong. If it was multiplicative, the damage would end up enormous!

I saw you come online!

Absolutely. Everything you need to know is in the game. This is about my fifth play through, and I've always fancied trying out an Errol Flynn/Lady Zorro type ("En garde! Touche! Have at ye! etc"). The Estoc was my first stop!

Stuff is pretty limited for a while. If you find a weapon you are happy with, pump it up. There are no best weapons really, just movesets that you are comfortable with.

EDIT: *hint* You should investigate all the options at the bonfires. Just sayin'.

StayDead

さらば地球よ
とびだつ船は
宇宙戦艦ヤマト

宇宙の彼方イスカンダルへ
運命せおい 今 とびだつ
必ずここへ 帰ってくると
手を振る人に 笑顔で答え

銀河を離れイスカンダルへ
遥々望む 宇宙戦艦ヤマト.

cool as hell song. :>

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uGvIspfzLU4

sploatee

formerly Oynox Slider
Thanks everyone for the tips. I might try a bit of that humanity stuff if I can bring myself to use it. I play the game in a perpetual state of fear that I'm going to bump into some giant enemy that'll just clobber me and I'll regret not having saved up.

There are so many things about it that are exemplary but my current favourite is how flexible it is. It really feels like an open game - ie loads of different ways to take on all the different challenges. It says a lot that I sit at work thinking of what I'm going to try when I get some gaming time.

sploatee

formerly Oynox Slider
Fuck these guys. I could talk Souls all day, but I don't want to spoil anything.

I could too, tbh. My gaming friends at work haven't played it and their eyes glaze over when I tell stories of what I did last night.

"And then there was this SECOND gargoyle! And the bell was ringing just above! And! And!"

So far, it's already one of the best games I've ever played. The level design, the sense of weight, the sense of place, the combat, the mechanics (having to recover is just an incredible idea), the trust it places in you to figure things out and the atmosphere - it's all just how a game should be.

My only concern is the levelling. I really hate that thing in a game where you become over levelled and the whole game just becomes empty busywork. I've avoided grinding on purpose.

I knew it'd be my kind of game from hearing people talk about it - and it is! Hurray!

Also Ikaruga is really difficult too, which is great, especially in that it gives you philosophical words of guidance before every stage. It feels like a spiritual quest (with lots of bullets).

Already feels like they're both gonna be two of my favourite games ever. I'm really chuffed!! At the moment I only have two games I can honestly say are my favourites and they are Fez and Sine Mora. Everything else seems to fade away once I finish it (including Last of Us, sadly, which I seem to remember only for the great story and set pieces and not for the moment-to-moment gameplay).

Rubbish King

The gift that keeps on giving
Big up big up its a stick up stick up and I'm shooting thingys quick if ya hiccup, don't make me fill me clip up in yo back and headpiece the opposite of peace sending mom Duke a wreath

Reknoc

Been playing Kingdom Hearts 2 HD recently, already hit the point where I regret going on normal because the game is EZ mode but I don't want to start again because of the fucking awful and long opening segment.

sploatee

formerly Oynox Slider
Screw Dark Souls, I'm blasting through LttP on SNES.

Dark Souls is better!

Been playing Kingdom Hearts 2 HD recently, already hit the point where I regret going on normal because the game is EZ mode but I don't want to start again because of the fucking awful and long opening segment.

That's a Disney JRPG isn't it? Every JRPG I've played has a 10 hour lead in time until you get to do anything.

Reknoc

That's a Disney JRPG isn't it? Every JRPG I've played has a 10 hour lead in time until you get to do anything.

Yes, other than that it's pretty good but that's because of all the Disney shit happening. Kingdom Hearts shared the same problem but the segment was significantly shorter and contained much less Stupid Anime Bullshit that's rapidly infecting the series.

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
So far, it's already one of the best games I've ever played. The level design, the sense of weight, the sense of place, the combat, the mechanics (having to recover is just an incredible idea), the trust it places in you to figure things out and the atmosphere - it's all just how a game should be.
My only concern is the levelling. I really hate that thing in a game where you become over levelled and the whole game just becomes empty busywork. I've avoided grinding on purpose.

That never really happens.

You may eventually find that you’re one-shotting the rank and file, but if you take your eye off the ball for even a second, even the simplest enemies can royally fuck you. The game only stops getting scary on the last area’s run (it’s very clever how it does that too), partly due to clever encounter design. There’s a great early example in the Undead Burg Church, namely that corridor of 10 or so red zombie dudes who should be a piece of the proverbial piss.

Screw Dark Souls, I'm blasting through LttP on SNES.

That's good but it's not right.

SKINNER!

Banned
Only JRPGs I have played to date are the following:-

Pokemon Yellow
Chrono Trigger
Super Mario RPG

...and that's it. Never played a Final Fantasy or any other JRPG.

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
Yea, but they came with a bellend in a coat :(

who also ended up being a main character in KH :(((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((

Meh. I thought Squall was funny. The thing that stopped me playing VIII wasn't him. It was when they all suddenly remembered being at an orphanage together. It was a horrible contrivance that I couldn't really accept. Up till then, I loved it.

SmokyDave

Also Ikaruga is really difficult too, which is great, especially in that it gives you philosophical words of guidance before every stage. It feels like a spiritual quest (with lots of bullets).

I fucking love Ikaruga. Easily one of my all time favourites (and much better than Radiant Silvergun, no matter what concensus says). Keep plugging away at it, because an awful lot of it boils down to memory rather than outright reflexes. Defeating the last boss is orgasmic.

sploatee

formerly Oynox Slider
I fucking love Ikaruga. Easily one of my all time favourites (and much better than Radiant Silvergun, no matter what concensus says). Keep plugging away at it, because an awful lot of it boils down to memory rather than outright reflexes. Defeating the last boss is orgasmic.

Dave, you're a champ.

I saw the thread about water effects in Driveclub over on the other side and wondered how it is? (Question open to all Driveclubbers, obviously).

Reknoc

Meh. I thought Squall was funny. The thing that stopped me playing VIII wasn't him. It was when they all suddenly remembered being at an orphanage together. It was a horrible contrivance that I couldn't really accept. Up till then, I loved it.

I didn't like him at all, though he wasn't my main problem just one of many that put me off the game completely (the orphanage crap was certainly part of it)

Join the Critical master race~

I should have, but it's too late now

SmokyDave

Dave, you're a champ.

I saw the thread about water effects in Driveclub over on the other side and wondered how it is? (Question open to all Driveclubbers, obviously).
It's a tricky one. It looks absolutely phenomenal, like 'holy fuck that's photo-realistic' incredible. It handles well, and there's very little 'fluff' in there other than pure racing. It has a kinda slick feeling to it (like a nice issue of Evo Magazine or a decent Speedhunters shoot), although it's a little sterile. I'm not 'clicking' with it right now though, and I can't quite decide why. It doesn't do anything wrong that I can point to, but I'm ignoring it in favour of playing three other titles, all of which are racers.

I dunno. Right now I'd say it's definitely a 'good' game, but it's entirely possible that later I'll upgrade that to 'great'.

The visuals though, the visuals are utterly peerless. I'm not sure they enhance the gameplay (fuck trying to see through a snowstorm in the pitch black), but they're just so beautiful.

My brain is in a state of fuck knows what to play. I am dipping in and out of my Steam library and not getting too involved which isn't helping.

I am in one of those bloody moods where I cannot seem to concentrate so that isn't helping. I wish I could perform a home made lobotomy as my brain is not fit for anything at the moment.

It would be nice to go back to my heyday in Titanfall and Hawken but playing online doesn't feel like the right thing at the moment.

A question to others: If you feel low do you find it hard to play online games? I find them stressful because I always put pressure on myself to play well which isn't something I want to heap onto myself at this time. It just makes the game a miserable experience.

Anyway, it looks like the Steam sale starts next week. That means buying more games I will never play.

NinjaBoiX

work christmas meal tonight wahooo!

anyone got plans for later?
It was my works crimbo do Tuesday night! Well, the first of two (Mint Lounge Tuesday night, CLV next Friday).

Tonight I'm helping the bro for a few hours in the kitchen at Atlas, scoring a nice £100 for the weekend for my troubles. Then I'm heading home and having a whip round for the little lady coming down for the weekend tomorrow.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom