• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BritGAF |OT5| Superb Birds, Absurd Turds and Disturbed Nerds

Status
Not open for further replies.

SKINNER!

Banned
My work xmas outing was today. Started at 12pm with an adult xmas panto followed by drinks and an indian xmas banquet. I had to sadly decline the invitation as I - thankfully - have baseball practise tonight.

The_Poet

Banned
My brain is in a state of fuck knows what to play. I am dipping in and out of my Steam library and not getting too involved which isn't helping.

I am in one of those bloody moods where I cannot seem to concentrate so that isn't helping. I wish I could perform a home made lobotomy as my brain is not fit for anything at the moment.

It would be nice to go back to my heyday in Titanfall and Hawken but playing online doesn't feel like the right thing at the moment.

A question to others: If you feel low do you find it hard to play online games? I find them stressful because I always put pressure on myself to play well which isn't something I want to heap onto myself at this time. It just makes the game a miserable experience.

Anyway, it looks like the Steam sale starts next week. That means buying more games I will never play.

I know the feeling you're having, sometimes I just cant bring myself to make the effort required for an online game, especially if there is noone online to play with.

I play a fair bit of Dota 2 and CS:GO and often there will be a couple friends online who are willing to play with me, I find that helps, as it takes the pressure off and we can just chat and joke around.

But then there are also times when I just want to do nothing, in those times I end up defaulting to watching TV / twitch while talking to people on teamspeak.

8bit

Knows the Score
I fucking love Ikaruga. Easily one of my all time favourites (and much better than Radiant Silvergun, no matter what concensus says). Keep plugging away at it, because an awful lot of it boils down to memory rather than outright reflexes. Defeating the last boss is orgasmic.

Man, I never did beat the last boss. Usually ended up wiped out halfway through level 5.

I played it before I got to Radiant Silvergun and by the time I got round to that it seemed needlessly complicated.

NinjaBoiX

The last boss on Ikaruga is amaze. Get the timing right and it's just:

switch>absorb>supershot>switch>absorb>supershot>switch>absorb>supershot

If you time it just right you can nail it in under a minute, such a rush!

Love that game, even if they managed to almost ruin it with the continues nonsense.

Reknoc

Continues are good though, gives you something to aim for and punishment for failing. Not a fan of Ikaruga, or Radiant Silvergun, or any Treasure game that isn't Mischief Makers or Bleach.

SmokyDave

A question to others: If you feel low do you find it hard to play online games? I find them stressful because I always put pressure on myself to play well which isn't something I want to heap onto myself at this time. It just makes the game a miserable experience.
I find online gaming a miserable experience at the best of times. I fucking hate it, in fact. I play games to get away from other people, not join them.

Even playing a co-op game with a mate gets on my tits. Always having to make small talk over the mic, can't just pause it and walk away, those weird 'are you talking to me or someone else in your room?' moments. Ugh.

Man, I never did beat the last boss. Usually ended up wiped out halfway through level 5.

I played it before I got to Radiant Silvergun and by the time I got round to that it seemed needlessly complicated.
RS is needlessly complicated. I'm glad it was re-released so more people can see through the hype.

The last boss on Ikaruga is amaze. Get the timing right and it's just:

switch>absorb>supershot>switch>absorb>supershot>switch>absorb>supershot

If you time it just right you can nail it in under a minute, such a rush!

Love that game, even if they managed to almost ruin it with the continues nonsense.
So fucking good. It turns into a rhythm game for the last boss and it feels amazing.

sploatee

formerly Oynox Slider
So good to see all the Ikaruga love! I'm trying not to use continues at the moment. I have that arcade mentality where if you can't so it 1cc you haven't reallt done it.

My brain is in a state of fuck knows what to play. I am dipping in and out of my Steam library and not getting too involved which isn't helping.

I am in one of those bloody moods where I cannot seem to concentrate so that isn't helping. I wish I could perform a home made lobotomy as my brain is not fit for anything at the moment.

It would be nice to go back to my heyday in Titanfall and Hawken but playing online doesn't feel like the right thing at the moment.

Anyway, it looks like the Steam sale starts next week. That means buying more games I will never play.

I know the feeling far too well.

It depends on the game. I quit playing Smite because the griefing got me down (too sensitive as usual) and I never switch on voice chat unless I'm playing with people I know. I guess I'm just paranoid about getting abuse, even more so if they find out I'm a girl. I've heard too many horror stories and seen too many videos of the trolling that goes on that online MP is totally a no mic / mute zone for me.

Titanfall and Destiny are fine for me although I found CoD and TLOU too much. I just accept that I'm crap and then when I finish mid -table or even near the top it's nice.

Still patiently waiting for the PS+ version of Driveclub :-/

It's such a shame that it's been such a botch with the demo, it looks like a really good game from the pics and gifs I've seen. The weather looks especially tasty - rain droplets moving up the windscreen etc.

Edit:

I can't believe I'm actually going to have to renew my PS+ subscription at Christmas to get it! Wasn't it a launch game at one point??

Ah well, I was going to renew anyway, since plus is ace.

NinjaBoiX

Continues are good though, gives you something to aim for and punishment for failing. Not a fan of Ikaruga, or Radiant Silvergun, or any Treasure game that isn't Mischief Makers or Bleach.
Yeah but they fucked it up. I've whinged about it before, but they basically drip feed you continues over time after so many failures, then give you infinite. Then your only choice is none or infinite, you get no other choice. It basically makes the game almost impossible or basically pointless.
It turns into a rhythm game for the last boss and it feels amazing.
Yup, it's one of those last bosses that isn't even that difficult, but that uses a specific mechanic to exploit it's achilles heel. It's a proper David and Goliath moment. Love it!

sploatee

formerly Oynox Slider
Today was a proper grown up day. I've been described as a 'recognised expert' in my field and also had to deliver serious words to a junior member of the team.

So. Watch it. My obscure knowledge is now truly obscure.

8bit

Knows the Score
Today was a proper grown up day. I've been described as a 'recognised expert' in my field and also had to deliver serious words to a junior member of the team.

So. Watch it. My obscure knowledge is now truly obscure.

I had someone comment that my views on outsourcing IT from Monday night were interesting and gave him pause for thought.
I only remember bellowing something mostly incoherent about cheese at him

edit, I should probably point out it was during a work end of year thing which had loads of beer and schnapps, not entirely random.

sploatee

formerly Oynox Slider
I had someone comment that my views on outsourcing IT from Monday night were interesting and gave him pause for thought.
I only remember bellowing something mostly incoherent about cheese at him

edit, I should probably point out it was during a work end of year thing which had loads of beer and schnapps, not entirely random.

Ha!

Mine is because I'm the only lawyer on the floor and I speak all long words n stuff to sound clever

Also : cheese is supreme! Because you are a big cheese. Duh!

Symphonia

Banned
I need advice of the business kind. At this present moment in time, I am self-employed as a sole trader. I deal with everything to do with running the business. I have no problems in that aspect. One thing I am struggling with, or beginning to struggle with, is the work load. I have several projects on the go with various individuals and companies in the local area and nationwide, and a couple abroad. Trying to get all this work done is, as you can imagine, quite stressful when you're trying to take into account the sleep patterns of the clients abroad. This is, in fact, one of the reasons I've been such a cunt as of late - a hugeee lack of sleep.

I'm thinking about, or at least entertaining the possibility of, hiring someone to help ease the flow of work. Now, when I set up my business through The Prince's Trust, I didn't even research hiring people as I really enjoyed the idea of going 100% alone. The amount of work coming in (and the type of work, too, which is why I started reading up on the development side of web design) makes this nigh on impossible.

Does anyone here have expeeience in self-employment or hiring people? Where do I begin? What exactly do I look for? I really need to unload this stress but thinking about this only adds to it!

Short term you might actually be best contracting someone to handle the work that you can't do / don't have time to do (there are loads of sites for this sort of thing). If you actually take someone on you're going to find (for a while) that you probably spend quite a lot of your time just getting across what you need them to do

If you really need to get someone in now for the longer term, then the quickest / least stressful way would be through an agency. They're more expensive that way, but far less hassle.

If I'm right in thinking you're a designer (based on your post), then you'll have no problem getting someone to do the tech stuff you need to get done. We work the same way with a number of designers (we can't do the pretty stuff, they can't do the techy stuff).

Yeah, my biggest freelance commission was like that - was chatting with one of the developers who said the team was delighted I was handling all the front end look stuff as that wasn't their bag. The place I work right now is pretty much split like that too, a design and dev side. Obviously, devs can do some design and design can do some dev, but it's a fairly standard way of doing it. I guess before that I was doing stuff that mainly hinged on design - several Wordpress sites with a few custom bits, but the bulk of the dev stuff already sorted by that.

There'll be other people who'll have actual advice on hiring/subcontracting, but that's my experience of the web stuff.

sploatee

formerly Oynox Slider
Go to the Citizens Advice Bureau. Go to gov.uk. Go to a law clinic. Take advice from professionals, not from the Internet. And make sure you keep the contracts tight and the taxes paid.

Symphonia

Banned
Short term you might actually be best contracting someone to handle the work that you can't do / don't have time to do (there are loads of sites for this sort of thing). If you actually take someone on you're going to find (for a while) that you probably spend quite a lot of your time just getting across what you need them to do.

If you really need to get someone in now for the longer term, then the quickest / least stressful way would be through an agency. They're more expensive that way, but far less hassle.

If I'm right in thinking you're a designer (based on your post), then you'll have no problem getting someone to do the tech stuff you need to get done. We work the same way with a number of designers (we can't do the pretty stuff, they can't do the techy stuff).
That was one of the options one of my contacts mentioned and if I do choose to draft in some help, this will be the way to do it. I'm OK with designing the layout on Photoshop, but slicing it and coding it where I start to go wrong. Give me a graphics tablet and ask me to draw the Mona Lisa, I'm fine, but ask me to build a website using PHP and I'll break down.

Yeah, my biggest freelance commission was like that - was chatting with one of the developers who said the team was delighted I was handling all the front end look stuff as that wasn't their bag. The place I work right now is pretty much split like that too, a design and dev side. Obviously, devs can do some design and design can do some dev, but it's a fairly standard way of doing it. I guess before that I was doing stuff that mainly hinged on design - several Wordpress sites with a few custom bits, but the bulk of the dev stuff already sorted by that.

There'll be other people who'll have actual advice on hiring/subcontracting, but that's my experience of the web stuff.
I'm fine with all the design stuff, and I actually enjoy the admin stuff too, it's just developing the designs I struggle with.

Go to the Citizens Advice Bureau. Go to gov.uk. Go to a law clinic. Take advice from professionals, not from the Internet. And make sure you keep the contracts tight and the taxes paid.
I wouldn't expect anything less than sound legal advice from you ;)

sploatee

formerly Oynox Slider
That was one of the options one of my contacts mentioned and if I do choose to draft in some help, this will be the way to do it. I'm OK with designing the layout on Photoshop, but slicing it and coding it where I start to go wrong. Give me a graphics tablet and ask me to draw the Mona Lisa, I'm fine, but ask me to build a website using PHP and I'll break down.

I'm fine with all the design stuff, and I actually enjoy the admin stuff too, it's just developing the designs I struggle with.

I wouldn't expect anything less than sound legal advice from you ;)

If you're going to need someone, you need to think clearly about what you need them to do and draw up a role description. You then need to think about (a) what this means for your business from a tax perspective - there are lots of rules regarding employment status and you need to be sure you meet your obligations and (b)you need to make sure youre protected when things inevitably go wrong. There's tons of free advice out there from people who you can rely on and who you can hold accountable. If this is your business, you need to be in control of it - don't listen to me or anyone else. Citizens Advice , gov.uk (used to be business link - might be worth googling), lawcare (I think they're called), even the Big 4 - all have programmes in place where they will find out your actual circumstances and then dispense real advice. That's about all I can say.

Disclaimer : the above is being provided on a no-recourse basis and is indicative guidance only. The outline is provided only on the basis of the post made by CyanideStrike and should not be relied on in any circumstances. CyanideStrike is strongly advised to seek independent and legal financial advice.

Schedule to the above advice:

Sploatee has switched into work mode and is now switching back to emotionally unstable brainmush mode. Kind regards

SKINNER!

Banned
WXLZq4F.gif

sploatee

formerly Oynox Slider
I've never got those down. Too eager.

I usually play dodge-heavy, so I think I'm just going to play heavy. ME MEAT. ME CLOBBA. Etc.

It's so satisfying when it works though!

I just used 4 black firebombs to kill that armoured boar. I feel guilty. But I do have this cool "I am the predator" helm now.

AcridMeat

Banned
Sploats how long has it taken you to get to that point? When I first started playing DS I was such a pansy that I stayed in undead burg, the initial starting first bonfire you find area, for a few hours just grinding it out and making inches of progress.

When I first encountered that black knight at the tower I ran straight back down and lead him into the boar hoping they would fight each other.
Glorious haha.

sploatee

formerly Oynox Slider
Sploats how long has it taken you to get to that point? When I first started playing DS I was such a pansy that I stayed in undead burg, the initial starting first bonfire you find area, for a few hours just grinding it out and making inches of progress.

When I first encountered that black knight at the tower I ran straight back down and lead him into the boar hoping they would fight each other.

Glorious haha.

Ha! Yeah. Everything only cares about killing you. I just ran past the boar and by mistake found the path down to the other side.

I'm on about 12 hours. I've wandered around the garden for a bit but there's a white light there and I'm scared to go through. I think that's where the game is suggesting I go. Maybe. There or the graveyard, but I need to kill the big skeleton there. Who knows?! I like the giants in the garden though. And the treebeards are creepy.

Farage vs Brand on QT wasn't as explosive as expected. Brand basically gave up half way through and stared despondently at his notes. There were some shouting matches in the audience though.

People talked at length about schools and the NHS. Quite hard to shoehorn "rich people are bad!" into those kinds of discussions. I think he was expecting more sparring with Farage who really didn't try to fight him.

banofypie

Banned
Despite his views, Farage isn't a complete idiot. He knows how to deal with himself in most situations where debates come about. Going against Brand would have strengthened Brand's idiotic political streak, and Farage knew that.

I've wandered around the garden for a bit but there's a white light there and I'm scared to go through.

the only way to win dark souls is just to stay at the bonfires. lovely, lovely bonfires. have a nice sit down, maybe drink some tea. no need to go anywhere. shhhhh. it's all going to be okay.

edit: my new beard balm smells a bit tobacco-y. hmm.

So apparently people don't tend to let facts get in the way of a good bit of uninformed racism. If anyone watched QT last night they'd have seen a woman going on about how there's not enough space for immigrants, and that her local prison (Canterbury prison) was full of immigrants.

Turns out Canterbury prison was closed over a year ago. It has no criminals, foreign or otherwise. Though in fairness to the woman, it was a foreign national detention centre at the time, so she can't be blamed for remembering all those dirty foreigners.

nFSebim.gif

NinjaBoiX

lol, shorty, that's amazing!

I just tried to play a CD in my Sony PlayStation 4™ Entertainment System only to find out that's apparently too much to ask.

Wut...

I also dropped a bottle of lager at the checkout in Asda and it squirted out all over my trainers.

MgYashD.gif

But on the plus side, the little lady just got on the coach at Sunderland and will be here in a few hours. And Mikeside and his missus are coming tomorrow!

tumblr_lg6qqdBXl21qa4yas.gif

Spookie

Never seen Brand so lost for words.
He did say 'I'm a comedian mate' [not a politician] and I think he should stick to that, unless this whole thing is just an elaborate joke and we have yet to hear the punchline.

Oh dear, I didn't watch it but after that line did he grab his coat and leave? Lets be honest after that corker he might as well fuck off home. :/

The_Poet

Banned
Oh dear, I didn't watch it but after that line did he grab his coat and leave? Lets be honest after that corker he might as well fuck off home. :/

He just got shouted at a bit by the white van man (its in the video daps linked).

He should go back to his roots and release live crickets out on the audience, that'll teach 'em

sploatee

formerly Oynox Slider
But on the plus side, the little lady just got on the coach at Sunderland and will be here in a few hours. And Mikeside and his missus are coming tomorrow!

tumblr_lg6qqdBXl21qa4yas.gif

I love how you're not excited at all by the chance of me and E coming too. 😛

Tbh I'm not sure if we are gonna make it.

Not seen QT yet. We're watching it together later. Can't wait! The Guardian disagrees with your analyses and says it was quite eventful.

Also, I'm fine today. Working from home and hoping to get a lot done. How is everyone else?

sploatee

formerly Oynox Slider
Sorry mate, here's a gif for you two as well:

FXRh54N.jpg

Boo! Not even a quick coffee to say hello?

Poo balls Bethany, smelly little poo balls.

Edit: what about CHEEZMO too?

It's alright, we only live round the corner, it's not a big deal. I'm not sure Bowen, our collective health is pretty shocking at the moment - I'm still on a phased return and E has no drugs at all at the moment for her RA. They don't arrive until Tuesday.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom