• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BritGAF |OT5| Superb Birds, Absurd Turds and Disturbed Nerds

Status
Not open for further replies.

Danj

GATIaQd.png

You can all thank NinjaBoiX for assembling this rather snazzy list

Can I get my birthday added on there? It's 11th May.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
Are you talking about the moany old sock worshipping curmudgeon beardo in the comics thread?

No :p but during that discussion I kept remembering Moz's quote about head-disabled/modern people not being able to process metaphor and kept having to stop myself lobbing it as an insult bomb over the trenches.

Guy doesn't get Flex OR All Star Superman, I mean, what can I say? I can't help it if he's got no soul. I would cut off a piece of my own to share if I could...

SteveWD40

Now I've not played Minecraft myself but I thought part of the appeal was the mods. Wouldn't that mean PC is still the only ideal platform for it?

Yes but it sold like 10m on Xbox and most kids who play it don't care about skins / mods as much as being able to play it on the bus / wherever.

Hence MC Pocket Edition selling tons despite it being shite.

It's not even that great a game, it just happens to sell like lube at an orgy and has a big name recognition, which the Vita needs.

Superman

When is your birthday: November 22.
Where do you live: Essex.
Where are you from: Blackpool.
What do you do: Insurance Broker.
What is your quest: This girl I know... Erm... Yea... You get the picture. Any tips would be appreciated as I've been out of the game for years...
Favourite actor/actress: Bryan Cranston.
Favourite band/artist: Rage Against the Machine.
Favourite TV show: Was Breaking Bad...
Favourite crisps: Walkers Sensations, Chicken & Thyme.
Favourite biscuit: Chocolate Hobnob.
Least favourite Pokémon: Nosepass. Wtf is that thing?!
Stalactites or stalagmites: Stalactites. Rather hang from a ceiling.
How do you cut your sandwiches: In half. Traditional & effective.

Hello there my fellow BritGAFfers.

sploatee

formerly Oynox Slider
What is your quest: This girl I know... Erm... Yea... You get the picture. Any tips would be appreciated as I've been out of the game for years...

Hi Superman. May I refer you to a post earlier where I asked BritGAF to kneel before Zod. I hope it didn't offend you.

Marc

Gonna try and get in on the ground floor this time, last thread was hard to keep track of as a newbie.

When is your birthday: In thread
Where do you live: SE London
Where are you from: SE London
What do you do: Trade Support
What is your quest: Become as Alpha as possible? At the moment it is learn to play the Guitar.
Favourite actor/actress: Edward Norton, Gary Oldman and Eva Green... forgot Bale last time.
Favourite band/artist: Stones, VAST and NIN.
Favourite TV show: The Wire, Breaking Bad and Boardwalk Empire.
Favourite crisps: Monster Munch but never eat them.
Favourite biscuit: Digestives
Least favourite Pokémon: Tonibliar
Stalactites or stalagmites: Both have their up's and down's.
How do you cut your sandwiches: Through the middle, you wouldn't gut a fish diagonally would you? Madness!

*SNIP*

TL;DR CRAAAAWLING IIIIINNNNNN MYYYYYYYY SSSSKKKKKKIIIIIIIN

Don't know your job or any details but have had a similar experience. First of all, I learnt fairly on in my career that you have to separate yourself from your personal life. Otherwise you bring things in from home or bring things home with you. Waste of time on both counts so think of them as different worlds and never the two shall meet. I am a bit of an anti-social prick though to be fair.

Unless you are doing a job that is your hobby then you are going to hate it eventually, a job is a job. Doesn't matter if you get more money in that job, just resets things a bit and you go back to hating it eventually. So I tend to go into autopilot mode a bit for certain things. Keep a smile, say your line and get on with it. The role I am in now I am is great in many ways but in terms of getting on with people, its the first job in my life I don't really get on with people. Whereas I got on with everyone in my last job and hated the job itself. Hard to find that perfect balance and at the moment feel like segregated in a crowd which is pretty demoralizing. Still, because I don't let it affect my home life I can kind of fake happiness at work and get on with things. Stay professional no matter what as even if you hate things, not having a job is a lot worse I imagine.

So I think expectations play a lot in how you tolerate things, if you expect little and not emotionally invest yourself as much then you won't be as offended or dragged down by things. Easy to say as sometimes it just gets on top of you, but stay positive about the job itself. I would say in your case maybe speak to individuals... even if you think they are cvnts and just tell them you are sorry for being grumpy lately. That you will try and improve things and feel free to come to you if I am out of line with anything. Then just reign in your interactions for a while, be pleasant and polite, smile and give it some time. I think most will understand and see you are trying and give you some space.

I would also say hedge your bets and look for another job, it can be good to keep things fresh and if as mentioned by JedEye you deserve more then ask more of yourself. Go for a junior role in a line of work that interests you. Some of the junior roles can pay as much as a bar job and if you do well can quickly be on equal levels to others. If not you get experience and can move on again. Maybe list your skillset and what interests you and could recommend some things to look out for?

Jedeye Sniv

Banned

Hey! What kind of Superman fan are you? Movies? Comics? Cartoon? George Reeves? Bicep tattoo?

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
Gonna try and get in on the ground floor this time, last thread was hard to keep track of as a newbie.

I was telling the mrs last night, I think BGAF is super hard to get into as a newbie. Super referential, circular inside jokes going back years. Not to mention all the various avenues of communication. I'm on all of them and still feel a bit confused at times! Just bear with us, and if a joke needs explaining then just ask. We need to bolster our numbers with newbs.

That's a great shout actually... I love Wagamamas. Who doesn't like Wagamamas?!

Bitches. Love. Wagamamas.

afoni

Banned
We're actually very good with new people. The only barrier is the clique that has developed from regular interaction. The clique is dumb as fuck though.

I hate those guys.

War Peaceman

You're a big guy.
That's a great shout actually... I love Wagamamas. Who doesn't like Wagamamas?!

It is good if there isn't an independent Japanese place in your area. In Nottingham this is fine though: Bonzai is cheaper and so much better, but I've struggled in the South (outside of London) to find adequate alternatives. Must be because Nottingham has loads of asians.

It is good if there isn't an independent Japanese place in your area. In Nottingham this is fine though: Bonzai is cheaper and so much better, but I've struggled in the South (outside of London) to find adequate alternatives. Must be because Nottingham has loads of asians.

Bonzai's okay. I do wanna check out Higoi in Nottingham though. Looks pretty baller in regards to the menu. Sheffield has better Japanese options believe it or not. The problem is for a lot of these Japanese restaurants in England is that they aren't managed by actual Japanese people so you'll tend to get meals that are pretty good, but not as good as a one that would be. The ramen, for example, is okay but the broth and noodles are not the same as... let's say the ramen at Japan Centre in London which is pretty legit.

Superman

Hey! What kind of Superman fan are you? Movies? Comics? Cartoon? George Reeves? Bicep tattoo?

Hi there!

Mainly the films! Made my account shortly after watching most of the earlier ones with Mr Reeves. Also watched Man of Steel (twice at the cinema, loved it) not long before too. The gaming side brought me here & I was into Lego Batman 2 at the time (Best Superman game ever made?!). Combination of all the above really. Plus he is my sons favourite superhero too...

Superman

There is one actually called Fujiyama that's not too far away... Haven't been there actually! Meant to be decent actually... Hmmm

Reknoc

Never actually been to any of the Japanese restaurants in Notts, but the high asian population does make it easy to get good instant noodles.. and a variety of weird snacks and sweets which is a-ok by my books. Especially easy since there's like 5 Asian stores in the area where I work.

Supe and Rage? I like you.

When is your birthday: In thread
Where do you live: SE London
Where are you from: SE London
What do you do: Trade Support
What is your quest: Become as Alpha as possible? At the moment it is learn to play the Guitar.
Favourite actor/actress: Edward Norton, Gary Oldman and Eva Green... forgot Bale last time.
Favourite band/artist: Stones, VAST and NIN.
Favourite TV show: The Wire, Breaking Bad and Boardwalk Empire.
Favourite crisps: Monster Munch but never eat them.
Favourite biscuit: Digestives
Least favourite Pokémon: Tonibliar
Stalactites or stalagmites: Both have their up's and down's.
How do you cut your sandwiches: Through the middle, you wouldn't gut a fish diagonally would you? Madness!

NIN? I like you too

Thankful for the replies, will respond to them, seriously greatful

But I'm pretty smashed now

lol

Probably not the best way to sort your head out

Anyway. Glad I introduced myself officially... Overdue.

Stay strong 9-5ers. Hour left.

5:30 for me :(

sploatee

formerly Oynox Slider
I like you too.

I finish at 5:30 aswell actually... 30 minutes overtime :( could be worse I guess.

Yes it could you slackers.

5.30 contracted hour of finishing but I'm lucky to get out before 6.30 and it's usually a bit later (although touch wood this year I'm being sensible) .

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
I left an hour ago, nobody knows/cares. My boss has flat out told me before that I can go when I like as long as the work gets done, which it does. Lucky.

Son Of D

We're actually very good with new people. The only barrier is the clique that has developed from regular interaction. The clique is dumb as fuck though.

I hate those guys.

I've had bad experiences with cliques. Never really fit into many of the ones when I was at school, college or elsewhere. Always been me and a couple of other friends. Feels different with you guys though. It's only been around a month since I joined Gaf so it's still early days for me, but I feel that I can break out of my shell and get more involved.
I just hope I don't botch it like I've botched the last 2 attempts elsewhere.

Reading that out again just made me realise how it makes me look. Ah well, honesty is what's best.

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
Guy doesn't get Flex OR All Star Superman, I mean, what can I say? I can't help it if he's got no soul. I would cut off a piece of my own to share if I could...

What thread is this? If he doesn't like The Filth then there is no helping him, so just cut the mug loose.

I'm TPB only these days and I finally got the last piece of the whole of Morrison's run on Batman. I'm gutted about Damian, I loved that little snot nosed oik.

Best. Batman run. Ever.

Saying that, I've also started Snyder's stuff. That guy can really write a good story. Just finished Death of the Family and was very impressed. Still waiting on City of Owls and the Zero Year stuff though. It feels like Bats hasn't been outside of some major event or other in years.

I also got 7 Soldiers on your recommendation, but I haven't dipped into that yet.

NinjaBoiX

I can leave work whenever I want within reason. I work flexi-time, so as long as I put in 36 hours a week pro rata and leave my phone on until 4pm I'm good.

It's going to be a shock to the system doing a real job in a few months, my current job basically asks that you take the piss.
Man I've been seeing/talking to Riggs and he don't drink anymore!
Haha no way! So, what does he do now? ;)

Maybe he'll manage to stay unbanned for longer than two weeks now.
Which BritGAFers are from Bristol? Just curious.
<raises hand>

Well, I'm not from here, but I live here.
The birthplace of trip-hop. Be proud of your heritage Cumpkin.

sploatee

formerly Oynox Slider
I've had bad experiences with cliques. Never really fit into many of the ones when I was at school, college or elsewhere. Always been me and a couple of other friends. Feels different with you guys though. It's only been around a month since I joined Gaf so it's still early days for me, but I feel that I can break out of my shell and get more involved.

Reading that out again just made me realise how it makes me look. Ah well, honesty is what's best.

Honestly D you have no need to worry. You're doing just fine :)

SKINNER!

Banned

Just be yourself here and don't think you need to post or act in a certain way to become a part of this so-called clique. Only reason a few members here are bonded by a strong friendship is because they live within close proximities of each other, have similar interests and enjoy hanging out from time to time. That's it. There's no "select-few" members who formed together and think they're the shit or they're better than anyone else. This clique idea was just created by meadows or chinner or whoever for a laugh and somehow it stuck. If anything, this whole thread and it's members are a clique. Fucking Neogaf is a clique. and guess what, you're already in it.

phisheep

NeoGAF's Chief Barrister

It doesn't necessarily get any easier to follow if you hang around for a few years though.

I was telling the mrs last night, I think BGAF is super hard to get into as a newbie. Super referential, circular inside jokes going back years. Not to mention all the various avenues of communication. I'm on all of them and still feel a bit confused at times! Just bear with us, and if a joke needs explaining then just ask. We need to bolster our numbers with newbs.

We win some and we lose some along the way, but I don't think there is anything (even the in-jokes stuff) that is all that offputting to new guys except one thing. And that's when some conversation just carries on for 20-40 posts after a newbie drops in.

Slow down and say hello a bit is all it takes.

I hate those guys.

For all that BritGAF looks like a clique it is not a very good one. I mean, for a good clique you need to be excluding people, and BritGAF is appallingly bad at that.

If you want a clique guys, you got to work harder at it. But - er - don't take that as a challenge.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
What thread is this? If he doesn't like The Filth then there is no helping him, so just cut the mug loose.

I'm TPB only these days and I finally got the last piece of the whole of Morrison's run on Batman. I'm gutted about Damian, I loved that little snot nosed oik.

Best. Batman run. Ever.

Saying that, I've also started Snyder's stuff. That guy can really write a good story. Just finished Death of the Family and was very impressed. Still waiting on City of Owls and the Zero Year stuff though. It feels like Bats hasn't been outside of some major event or other in years.

I also got 7 Soldiers on your recommendation, but I haven't dipped into that yet.

Over in the main Comics thread, look for the massive walls of text. He was one of those classic "Morrison is weird and drugs" people, they drive me mad. So I can imagine that the Filth would be just a smidge too much. Love that fucking book though, it's so fucked up and is actually saying something. So many comics (or stories in particular) say nothing at all. The Filth is actually a useful thing to have read.

Glad you liked Batman too. I think I would like to have experienced it all in trade, the last issue was a smidge underwhelming when it came out, but I think if all the Spyder stuff is fresh in your mind then it would feel a bit less of a Deus Ex Machina at the end. But I did love it though, loved how the end was Gordon interviewing Bruce, can't believe I've never seen that done before. And Damian... man... he was the best. Such a great character. I've been reading Batman for 20 years now and this is hands down the best Batman story ever, there's not even a contest. Every single little piece of it made me so happy (and I've explained each one to the mrs in exacting detail the poor woman). The Return of Bruce Wayne stuff was especially neat for me since I'd read the original Barbatos arc in the 90s and so when he started referencing it I was so chuffed. Seeding Batman into the history of Gotham and the Waynes was also an amazing touch that was not only giving Morrison's story more depth but also validated and retroactively gave depth to loads of old Bat stories where the Wayne family had Bat symbolism everywhere. And the whole Black Glove thing, Dick as Batman, recontextualising Dick and Bruce as brothers for the first time... fuck it's so good!!

Snyder is really good too I think. Have you read Black Mirror? It's a must. Brilliant 11 issue story with art by Jock and Francavilla, easily the best thing he's done so far and I loved Court of Owls. But Black Mirror is the shit.

Even your very mention of Seven Soldiers makes me want to go grab the issues and do another read (what order to read the issues in this time, hmmmmm). Also has one of my favourite SF tropes in it that I never get tired of seeing.

Oh great you got me all Morrison high, it's going to take ages to calm down now.

NinjaBoiX

We win some and we lose some along the way, but I don't think there is anything (even the in-jokes stuff) that is all that offputting to new guys except one thing. And that's when some conversation just carries on for 20-40 posts after a newbie drops in.

Slow down and say hello a bit is all it takes.

For all that BritGAF looks like a clique it is not a very good one. I mean, for a good clique you need to be excluding people, and BritGAF is appallingly bad at that.

If you want a clique guys, you got to work harder at it. But - er - don't take that as a challenge.
It's nice that someone takes the time to welcome a newbie, especially when the thread is busy. I must admit, I sometimes notice a new member, but then forget to say hello when I get around to making a post.

Musha often takes notice and welcomes new peeps, I have noticed that. Bless her.

WELCOME NEWBIES TO BRITGAF! Have fun.
But I'm from Preston! The birthplace of...

Er...

.... <checks wikipedia>

Cornershop!

Remember "Brimful of Asha"? That was a good song.
It was after Norman got his hands on it. The original is kind of bland.

Everybody needs a bosom for a pillow.
"mine's on the 45"

I physically couldn't help myself. Damn catchy tune!

Jedeye Sniv

Banned

Aw bless! Don't sweat it dude. All you gotta do is jump in, take the piss out of some folks and talk inappropriately about your private life or sexual proclivities. Feel free to try and steer conversation and start new subjects, but don't feel offended if nobody bites. But really, just be yourself and you'll be totally fine :)

We try darn it, but Cyanide just KEEPS coming BACK gawd

CHEEZMO™;97212056 said:
Sounds like a very London thing.

By that, I take it you mean "expensive"

sploatee

formerly Oynox Slider
It's nice that someone takes the time to welcome a newbie, especially when the thread is busy. I must admit, I sometimes notice a new member, but then forget to say hello when I get around to making a post.

Musha often takes notice and welcomes new peeps, I have noticed that. Bless her.

WELCOME NEWBIES TO BRITGAF! Have fun.

Thanks! I'm new here but you wouldn't know it by the amount I spam during office hours. I second everything. New people, this lot are great. You go over to the gaming side and everyone just seems so angry in comparison. This is the world's mellowest thread.

The legendary Preston Guild maybe? Been there once and had a whale of a time ... it is like once in a blue moon or even scarcer?

You were at the '92 Guild? Maybe I ran into you (although I was only 6 years old at the time). You've got a while to wait until the next one unfortunately Phi. We just had the last one in 2012, and they happen every twenty years.

Some of my friends and I are diligently trying to bring back "once in a Preston Guild" as an expression, but it's not that useful if you have to explain it every time you use it :-(

Edit:

It was after Norman got his hands on it. The original is kind of bland.

This is 100% true to be fair. I think most people are actually referring to the Fatboy Slim version when they talk about Brimful of Asha.

Mikeside

Thanks! I'm new here but you wouldn't know it by the amount I spam during office hours. I second everything. New people, this lot are great. You go over to the gaming side and everyone just seems so angry in comparison. This is the world's mellowest thread.

I agree with this and everything phi posted.

We're all just excited to talk bullshit with cool people & it gets carried away sometimes, but post a couple of times and you'll all for right in.

Sploatee and son of d (and others, but they're on my mind right now) are perfect examples of how to join in. Take it unseriously and have fun.

This thread is full of most of my favourite people in the world.

8bit

Knows the Score

It's the rolling comic thread, Alan Moore said some rude things and some untrue things recently and it's boiled into a Moore vs. Morrison clusterfuck. Best avoided tbh.

Superman

I'm glad this thread is very relaxed and laid back. Makes me glad for making an appearance. I'll check in regularly from now on.

Mikeside

I'm glad this thread is very relaxed and laid back. Makes me glad for making an appearance. I'll check in regularly from now on.

Excellent, you'll start popping in regularly, then before you know it you'll be like the rest of us, madly hitting F5 hoping for those sweet, sweet YouTube links & sarcastic Jimbor responses.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom