• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BritGAF |OT5| Superb Birds, Absurd Turds and Disturbed Nerds

Status
Not open for further replies.

8bit

Knows the Score
Yeah, I spoke to Veelk about ASS before. He likes grounded comics... Whatever that actually means.

Superman_701.jpg

BURN IT! BURN IT NOW!

Fucking Grounded, strong contender for worst comic ever made. What happened to the JMS that wrote his early Spider-Man stories and Supreme Power?

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member

I'm afraid to say I'm not really up on Superman's recent exploits. Actually, I'm not up on anyone's. XD

Raw Power is so damn good.

Preach, Brother Meat!

I don't know if anyone here has ever listened to Turbonegro, but their guitarist listed it as his favorite album of all time, and it shows in his playstyle.

Here's the full song if you're interested. The opening solo rules too.

First one ain't working for me. The song is ballsy, though

Marc

BURN IT! BURN IT NOW!

Fucking Grounded, strong contender for worst comic ever made. What happened to the JMS that wrote his early Spider-Man stories and Supreme Power?

Was going to say I assume that comic must be shite after seeing his name on it.

I hated pretty much everything about his Spidey run, killed me every issue. Loved Babylon 5 and thought he was a genius so was like 'my two favourite things are coming together, hell yeah!' God, the memories are coming back. Nooo, Gwen!!! NOOOooooooo!!!!

Midnight Nation was very good to be fair if you haven't read that. I liked the beginning of Supreme Power but kind of fell apart as they got together for me.

Superman

Renegades of funk, oh man, such a cool song. Need to go listen to that right now in fact.

Monday sounds like a brilliant day when you put it like that, great taste. Not a fan of rap bar the odd song so tend to give it a miss but generally I like a lot of things. Listen to a fair bit of classical as well just to throw people off. :)

Into mostly rock so stuff like VAST, NIN, Stones, Joy Division, Crystal Method, PJ Harvey, Audioslave/Soundgarden, Chemical Brothers, Iggy and the Stooges, The Verve, Otis Redding, Massive Attack, Filter, The Who, Curve, Nina Simone, Prodigy, Ray Charles... and of course Beethoven and Chopin. :D A sample of the stuff I listen to, but I am like you but worse, I burn out on artists quickly and move on... very few I will listen to several of their songs in a row. No attention span I guess.

Good varied taste there. That's fair enough not liking rap, don't really know anyone personally who likes both genres. I do like other genres too, but mainly stick to them 2.

Funny you should mention Classical actually. My Dad was brought up around it, and he always watches the last night of the proms. He passed that tradition on to me, and I now watch it with my son too. There's also nobody on this earth that can raise the hairs on the back of my neck like Andrea Bocelli. Again, my Dad loves him. "Time to Say Goodbye" is a brilliant track (Con te Partirò).

AcridMeat

Banned
Preach, Brother Meat!

First one ain't working for me. The song is ballsy, though
Try this one, it's just an isolated studio session of that last solo.
Good varied taste there. That's fair enough not liking rap, don't really know anyone personally who likes both genres. I do like other genres too, but mainly stick to them 2.
Hey now, I listen to the majority of the artists he listed regularly along with hip hop. But I'm weird and venture forth and find every single kind of genre and try to find something I like. Music is fantastic.

It's understandable not wanting to spend the time to find what you like when branching out though, when much of what appears on the surface is stuff you don't like.

AcridMeat

Banned
Asked this in another thread but being that I'm in the states I'd be curious to hear the differences.

Anyone else a big concert goer? What were some of the artists you saw in the last year?

Thinking about it now I saw, People Under The Stairs, Titus Andronicus, The Slackers, Nine Inch Nails, Pretty Lights, then Little Dragon, Thievery Corporation and a few others on NYE.

Quite an eclectic grouping there, haha.

Son Of D

More songs to add to the ever growing BritGAF playlist.

It's understandable not wanting to spend the time to find what you like when branching out though, when much of what appears on the surface is stuff you don't like.

That's me in a nutshell when it comes to music. I never know where to start looking for new stuff to listen to, and when I do find something new it's usually something I don't like.

Hell no, face to face.

Only way to do things like this if you ask me. I've not had much experience in relationships, but the ones I've had taught me a lot about life. I hope things work out for you.

Asked this in another thread but being that I'm in the states I'd be curious to hear the differences.

Anyone else a big concert goer? What were some of the artists you saw in the last year?

Thinking about it now I saw, People Under The Stairs, Titus Andronicus, The Slackers, Nine Inch Nails, Pretty Lights, then Little Dragon, Thievery Corporation and a few others on NYE.

I've only been to one concert in my life and that was when Muse played Teignmouth in 2009. You can very briefly see me during Time is Running Out (1:55 lower left corner black cap). I'd love to go to another sometime.

sploatee

formerly Oynox Slider

Mostly orchestral stuff at the Bridgewater Hall. best thing was the 100th anniversary Rite of Spring. It was really heavy.

SKINNER!

Banned
Anyone else a big concert goer? What were some of the artists you saw in the last year

*Raises hand*

Frequent concert goer here. What I love about Glasgow is that it always has a gig on every week and 2013 was a great year for gigs. Went to see Dropkick Murphys, Alice in Chains, Megadeth, Public Enemy, A$ap Rocky alongside Kentpaul, The Who, Alice in Chains, Jaguar Skills and of course the Download festival in England with Musha which had Slipknot, Iron Maiden and Rammstein headlining.

Darren870

I haven't been to a concert in like 5-6 years...really weird.

Seen small groups play at bars/clubs but never set out to see a band since then.

Marc

Funny you should mention Classical actually. My Dad was brought up around it, and he always watches the last night of the proms. He passed that tradition on to me, and I now watch it with my son too. There's also nobody on this earth that can raise the hairs on the back of my neck like Andrea Bocelli. Again, my Dad loves him. "Time to Say Goodbye" is a brilliant track (Con te Partirò).

I mean I listen to some rap songs but wouldn't say I follow any rap artists, just odd songs here and there. But then I really like the blues but don't listen to anyone in particular more than any other. Maybe Son House. Appreciate songs over artists as a rule.

Yeah, if Por tí volaré (as I first heard it) doesn't get your blood pumping then what the hell man! :) Thats a great tradition to have, sure your son will appreciate it like you have too.

Cool list, would love to go more but its so expensive to do it in London so don't do it much these days. Used to go to smaller affairs before anyway.

Love Thievery Corporations song 'Shadow of ourselves', such a cool song to relax with.

Wanted to go see Seether late last year but no one was available to take my daughter for the night so feck. Btw, if you guys haven't heard it, check out Seether's cover of Careless Whisper... weird, funny and brilliant.

Speaking of covers, been listening to this cover of cranberries zombie by Breed 77.

Tremas

*waves*

Last year I saw The Flaming Lips, Pixies, and The National. Was supposed to see Deerhunter too at the Roundhouse, alas they cancelled.

Besides that, last year I broke my festivalginity and went to Glastonbury, which I'll be going to again this year, and every year from now until I'm decrepid. Saw countless acts there, none of which came close to the majesty that was Portishead on the Friday night at the Other stage, which remains the greatest single live music performance I've seen.

Anyone else going this year?

Superman

I mean I listen to some rap songs but wouldn't say I follow any rap artists, just odd songs here and there. But then I really like the blues but don't listen to anyone in particular more than any other. Maybe Son House. Appreciate songs over artists as a rule.

Yeah, if Por tí volaré (as I first heard it) doesn't get your blood pumping then what the hell man! :) Thats a great tradition to have, sure your son will appreciate it like you have too.

Ah, misinterpreted what you said, that's fair enough!

Definitely gets the blood pumping! Nothing quite like it.

@AcridMeat ;

Music is indeed fantastic! I enjoy songs that crossover into both genres a lot. Anything like Sabotage or No Sleep 'til Brooklyn by Beastie Boys, or Bring the Noise by Anthrax & Public Enemy. So many genres myself I still have to give a listen to to be honest.

Pookmunki

Used to be a massive concert goer, since becoming a dad it's more scarce but u try to make the effort. Saw the Stones at Hyde Park last year and I'm going to Neil Young there later this year.

Quite hyped as although it''ll be my 3rd time seeing The National and 2nd for NY, having 2 of ny fave acts ever on the bill will be great.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned

You saw Titus? Awww maaaaaaan, I wanna see them so hard!! I don't get out to many gigs that I'm not playing at myself, the trouble with living near to London but also fairly far is that you can get there ok but getting home from a gig is a nightmare, if the band finishes at 11.15 you're fucked. Stupid transport infrastructure...

Played with some blinders last year though that most/all have never heard of but great bands - Physics House Band, Future Ages, my brahs in twothirtytwo, Freeze the Atlantic, Our Lost Infantry, Bastard Eye Scream. Going to see O'Brother with my mate later this year, can't wait for that.

I've become tight/elitest enough that I'm not willing to pay more than a tenner to see a band any more. So much awesome stuff to be had locally instead.

Ah, misinterpreted what you said, that's fair enough!

Definitely gets the blood pumping! Nothing quite like it.

@AcridMeat ;

Music is indeed fantastic! I enjoy songs that crossover into both genres a lot. Anything like Sabotage or No Sleep 'til Brooklyn by Beastie Boys, or Bring the Noise by Anthrax & Public Enemy. So many genres myself I still have to give a listen to to be honest.

Yeah man, keep broadening those horizons! Modern music is ace if you spend an afternoon digging.

Without searching through old threads... Any one from Essex here? Wondering.

Technically I'm in Essex. Woodford.

Btw Musha, in case you didn't know, NIN are coming here (O2) in May. Actually got good tickets this time! *squee*

Congrats on the comic, that is so cool. Heard of Dave Gibbons obviously, not Neil... any examples?

Yeah I know, Can't afford to go though. Won't be able to afford to do anything this year :(

Here's a link to some of Neil's stuff

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/m66vxz0zpmhabp5/bdvSML-z52

I try to go to gigs when I can, but I do most of my live music watching in one weekend a year at festivals. I usually go to Download, last year I also saw Paramore and HIM, as well as small gigs with local bands.

Speaking of covers, been listening to this cover of cranberries zombie by Breed 77.

I've posted that before a long time ago. It's my mate's band. Or rather was before he decided to quit.

sploatee

formerly Oynox Slider
Mornin'

Stravinsky, baby. One of my favourites. The Augurs of Spring are an absolute riot.

Hah! I see what you did there!

Yes, it's great. I'm not very knowledgeable about ballet or dance but YouTube has footage of the original choreography performed by a modern group. It's great. I pity their toes though. It's on my list of things to see (hear?!) along with Messaien's Quatour pour me fin du temps and Tippett's A Child Of Our Time. If it's slightly dissonant and/or takes a while to resolve into harmony, I'm there!

Stupid phone prevents links but I'm gonna try....and fail.

If you are inclined, have a YouTube of Arvo Part's Fratres. Theres an amazing piano plus cello one and one with twelve cellos (that I became obsessed with because I wanted to be a cellist) . It's just like the most amazing like thing like ever, yeah.

AcridMeat

Banned
@AcridMeat ;

Ah yes Beastie Boys' stuff is fantastic. I actually think this is one of the best instrumentals out there. Alright well that's the album version, not the instrumental, it's not uploaded. But fuck it you know what I'm sayiiiin.

You saw Titus? Awww maaaaaaan, I wanna see them so hard!! I don't get out to many gigs that I'm not playing at myself, the trouble with living near to London but also fairly far is that you can get there ok but getting home from a gig is a nightmare, if the band finishes at 11.15 you're fucked. Stupid transport infrastructure...

Played with some blinders last year though that most/all have never heard of but great bands - Physics House Band, Future Ages, my brahs in twothirtytwo, Freeze the Atlantic, Our Lost Infantry, Bastard Eye Scream. Going to see O'Brother with my mate later this year, can't wait for that.

I've become tight/elitest enough that I'm not willing to pay more than a tenner to see a band any more. So much awesome stuff to be had locally instead.
Yeah! Fuck they rocked the hell out of that night. My hearing hasn't been the since, and I had earplugs. I'm actually pretty mad about that fact but that was such a fun time. It's funny though. In London, all of the bad parts of towns are pushed to the outer edges of the city right? Well in San Francisco and America at large, our bad areas are mixed in with the nice. Which means you'll be in a nice place and safe, then a block away is sketchy and you'd like to move quickly.

So that's how it was with the show. Albeit the venue, which is one of my favorites, is next to a strip club and a bunch of homeless, that's not the bad part. We parked in a garage smack dab in the center of one of the worst parts of the city. On the way back, with ears ringing, still buzzing with a smile from the gig, I noticed a fresh blood trail on the sidewalk, looked up and saw a guy standing on the street, looking like he may have been the one. Was like welp it's only a couple more blocks.

Man you guys have seen some great stuff. I hadn't thought about the cost in London particular. I doubt I'd see as many shows as well. I usually spend around $15-30 on shows. Which is around 10-15 pounds. Not so much local stuff, but smaller venues.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
Man you guys have seen some great stuff. I hadn't thought about the cost in London particular. I doubt I'd see as many shows as well. I usually spend around $15-30 on shows. Which is around 10-15 pounds. Not so much local stuff, but smaller venues.

Yeah that's about my level. Got caught on the train with a few hundred people who had been to see the Stones and/or Mumford and Sons. To which my main question was "how fucking much??" People are nuts. Small venues are the shit. Louder, sweatier, get to meet the band if they're cool.

Musha I'm disappointed you don't go to more gigs. Live music capital of England! On your doorstep! I would be so poor and deaf if I lived in London.

SKINNER!

Banned
My all-time favourite gig cost me £0 (excluding travelling costs). Freaks me out whenever I hear how much Beyonce or Justin Timberlake tickets are (£70+)

Rubbish King

The gift that keeps on giving
Well, after eleven hours of solid drinking I am pretty dead in the car to Devon, can't wait to get back to sleep to be quite frank

AcridMeat

Banned
Yeah that's about my level. Got caught on the train with a few hundred people who had been to see the Stones and/or Mumford and Sons. To which my main question was "how fucking much??" People are nuts. Small venues are the shit. Louder, sweatier, get to meet the band if they're cool.
Absolutely right. Thing is I'm outside the actual city so just driving in costs about as much as the ticket itself.

I forgot to mention I bought a Local Business shirt from Patrick Stickles and I can't remember who else. I think maybe their new bassist? Anyway definitely love that intimate setting of the small venues.

NinjaBoiX

I didn't really see all that much live last year. I saw Squarepusher, Pulled Apart By Horses, SBTRKT, Jim White, Luke Vibert, Arctic Monkeys and Paramore. Plus some awesome/terrible local bands on my scummy little hometown.

I fancy going to see Jurassic 5 again this year, so much fun live! They're playing Manchester, London, Nottingham and Bristol in June, I might have to see about sorting out some tickets. I will endeavour to see more live music this year!

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Never been to a concert unless you count Party in the Park (which I basically took a nap at because it was a warm summers day).

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
Hah! I see what you did there!

Yes, it's great. I'm not very knowledgeable about ballet or dance but YouTube has footage of the original choreography performed by a modern group. It's great. I pity their toes though. It's on my list of things to see (hear?!) along with Messaien's Quatour pour me fin du temps and Tippett's A Child Of Our Time. If it's slightly dissonant and/or takes a while to resolve into harmony, I'm there!

Stupid phone prevents links but I'm gonna try....and fail.

If you are inclined, have a YouTube of Arvo Part's Fratres. Theres an amazing piano plus cello one and one with twelve cellos (that I became obsessed with because I wanted to be a cellist) . It's just like the most amazing like thing like ever, yeah.

Wow! Such taste!

I know Arvo Part and ol' Olly Messaien pretty well. I got a soft spot for Debussey too (wife walked down the aisle to La Mer).

If you like dissonance, Bartok's Quartets are ze bollocks.

SKINNER!

Banned
I'd want dinner and a blowjob for that kind of money dammit. If I wanted to see someone dancing and miming I would ask to babysit my friend's little girls.

You seen that video of a Justin Bieber Meet and Greet session where all he does is just pout his lips, pose and get a snapshot with a fan while they get shuffled along like cattle? No hellos, no casual brief convos, no handshakes, nothing. Can't begin to imagine how much they paid for that. To be fair, I really dislike the whole idea of a meet and greet. Just seems fake. and this doesn't only apply to pop stars because KISS does it too.

Uh oh, pregnant woman in the office.

Just pregnant or "about to pop" pregnant?

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
You seen that video of a Justin Bieber Meet and Greet session where all he does is just pout his lips, pose and get a snapshot with a fan while they get shuffled along like cattle? No hellos, no casual brief convos, no handshakes, nothing. Can't begin to imagine how much they paid for that. To be fair, I really dislike the whole idea of a meet and greet. Just seems fake. and this doesn't only apply to pop stars because KISS does it too.

Yeah it's bullshit/hilarious. I listened to a podcast where this guy was talking about meeting Paramore backstage with his kid, that was a nice story. But it sounds super forced. I like it when you see the band members in the bar after a show and you get to shake their sweaty hands and buy them a drink. Got so many treasured CDs from just chatting to bands that I've enjoyed.

I KNOW, RIGHT!!''?!?'!?!!111!!!

I like it when they have the lights that go on and off. And the stairs, boy can those guys do stairs!! <3

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom