• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BritGAF |OT5| Superb Birds, Absurd Turds and Disturbed Nerds

Status
Not open for further replies.

Marc

I was telling the mrs last night, I think BGAF is super hard to get into as a newbie. Super referential, circular inside jokes going back years. Not to mention all the various avenues of communication. I'm on all of them and still feel a bit confused at times! Just bear with us, and if a joke needs explaining then just ask. We need to bolster our numbers with newbs.

Its a big community, I think you have to keep posting and ride the wave. Once you step out, hard to step back in... well intimidating and get lost in the midst of things. :)

Problem as well is I feel like I am ignoring them if I don't respond to every comment which you can't really do. Saying that, I am doing it right now. Agh

Cool to see you like comics, I used to be nutty about them but my love was getting stabbed, raped and generally tortured by Marvel with Spider-Man. ASM #500 was the last comic I bought, Uncle Ben in a magic fucking box. I read Superman Red Son and Marvels to my daughter at night now, she loves the imagery more than anything. Ever read MiracleMan (aka Marvelman)?

Supe and Rage? I like you.

NIN? I like you too

I think you said that before in the last thread, haha. :D I just did the introduction again for new questions, place everyone else was doing it and I am not cool enough to break trends. Thanks, love RATM too... gotta love bands that have a message.

I left an hour ago, nobody knows/cares. My boss has flat out told me before that I can go when I like as long as the work gets done, which it does. Lucky.

Have to work shifts but the best hours I ever worked, mostly in my line of work you are expected to work 14 hour days as standard. Hours now are the best you can get and will never find again.

It doesn't necessarily get any easier to follow if you hang around for a few years though.

For all that BritGAF looks like a clique it is not a very good one. I mean, for a good clique you need to be excluding people, and BritGAF is appallingly bad at that.

If you want a clique guys, you got to work harder at it. But - er - don't take that as a challenge.

Ah, well definitely need to stay active in the thread to benefit from the jibber jabba. :D

Everyone is very friendly here, just the nature of constant chat, familiarity and knowing when to pick your moments to get involved.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
Its a big community, I think you have to keep posting and ride the wave. Once you step out, hard to step back in... well intimidating and get lost in the midst of things. :)

Problem as well is I feel like I am ignoring them if I don't respond to every comment which you can't really do. Saying that, I am doing it right now. Agh

Cool to see you like comics, I used to be nutty about them but my love was getting stabbed, raped and generally tortured by Marvel with Spider-Man. ASM #500 was the last comic I bought, Uncle Ben in a magic fucking box. I read Superman Red Son and Marvels to my daughter at night now, she loves the imagery more than anything. Ever read MiracleMan (aka Marvelman)?

Ha! Yeah mainline Spidey has been pretty wack for quite some time now. People say the current run is goud but it's really not. Ultimate Spider-Man is really really good though. If you ever wanted back in I would read that. Also very kid-friendly.

I never read Miracleman, no, one of the few 'classics' i never got to. I just saw Marvel are re-releasing it in issues starting today so I picked it up digitally. Hope it's good!

Pookmunki

Good for making progress on book reading at least.

True, although I usually cycle to work, the odd occasions I get the bus there is trouble due to tramworks / general idiocy on the a52.

Plus I forget to bring my kindle / Vita so I'm sat listening to gobshite.

Reknoc

True, although I usually cycle to work, the odd occasions I get the bus there is trouble due to tramworks / general idiocy on the a52.

Plus I forget to bring my kindle / Vita so I'm sat listening to gobshite.

Thankfully I nearly always have my Vita or 3DS if it gets too bad. Which it nearly always does since working in Beeston means the tramworks are a constant pain in the arse.

phisheep

NeoGAF's Chief Barrister
You were at the '92 Guild? Maybe I ran into you (although I was only 6 years old at the time).

Pretty unlikey. I was at the 1972 one!

Some of my friends and I are diligently trying to bring back "once in a Preston Guild" as an expression, but it's not that useful if you have to explain it every time you use it :-(

I use it all the time, and nobody down here understands it at all.. We need to preserve the legend.

You've got a while to wait until the next one unfortunately Phi. We just had the last one in 2012, and they happen every twenty years.

Oh dammit, now that gives me a sense of feeling old. Going by family history I might not make it to the next Guild. If I am still alive I shall try to get there.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Since I got a tablet I've gone back to reading after a massive break. But I still keep my 3DS is my bag. Gotta get them streetpasses.

Finally reading the Haruhi Suzumiya light novels... wait I mean I'm reading the complete works of Charles Dickens. Phew, they may have thought I was a right nerd for a second there.

But seriously, I'm going to make an effort to read all those classic novels that I should have already read so I don't feel completely out of touch with the world. Though I do sometimes wonder what makes someone culturally unaware. I mean consider the amount of people who have played Super Mario Bros throughout time, it's a high number, so if you don't really know much about it couldn't it be argued you are culturally unaware? I bet number of SMB players outweighs viewers of most sporting events and yet we are expected to know about those.

Speaking of comics, my favourite Indy comic book writer, Neil Gibson, just informed me that he's named a character after me in volume 5 of Twisted Dark!

For anyone who is unaware of him and his work I very strongly recommend you check it out, so god damn awesome.

Marc

The first part of the reprint series is actually out today from Marvel, looks wonderful recoloured.

Ha! Yeah mainline Spidey has been pretty wack for quite some time now. People say the current run is goud but it's really not. Ultimate Spider-Man is really really good though. If you ever wanted back in I would read that. Also very kid-friendly.

I never read Miracleman, no, one of the few 'classics' i never got to. I just saw Marvel are re-releasing it in issues starting today so I picked it up digitally. Hope it's good!

I heard Spidey died and Doc Ock took over his body or something... so yeah, happy to stay away right now from spidey. My fav. superhero and not been a good ten years for him in comics or film IMO. I read Ultimate for a while when it started but didn't like it personally, bit too kiddy and didn't like the changes like the Goblin.

Oh wow, weird timing for Miracleman shout out... the beginning is like "Wut? This is Moore?" then it gets soooo good, my favourite of his in fact. My favourite comic full stop actually. Shame they are not releasing it as a trade, but this might break me from my comic sabbatical. Won't say anything more but hope you guys like it. Wonder if they will print the Gaiman ones too.

Good man.

Sleep now in the fire is too good, so many of their songs are incredibly relevant right now. What other bands you into Supes? :) Hard to think of many modern bands with a political message... Manic Street Preachers I guess.

War Peaceman

You're a big guy.
Thankfully I nearly always have my Vita or 3DS if it gets too bad. Which it nearly always does since working in Beeston means the tramworks are a constant pain in the arse.

Those fucking tramworks, what a pain. The tram line is literally outside my front door (no vehicle access) and each day it feels like there is a different way in and out of the street.

sploatee

formerly Oynox Slider
Since I got a tablet I've gone back to reading after a massive break. But I still keep my 3DS is my bag. Gotta get them streetpasses.

Finally reading the Haruhi Suzumiya light novels... wait I mean I'm reading the complete works of Charles Dickens. Phew, they may have thought I was a right nerd for a second there.

But seriously, I'm going to make an effort to read all those classic novels that I should have already read so I don't feel completely out of touch with the world. Though I do sometimes wonder what makes someone culturally unaware. I mean consider the amount of people who have played Super Mario Bros throughout time, it's a high number, so if you don't really know much about it couldn't it be argued you are culturally unaware? I bet number of SMB players outweighs viewers of most sporting events and yet we are expected to know about those.

Happy to recommend stuff. did an English lit degree.

Read Tristram Shandy!

Edit : Musha - how cool is that?!? That's amazing.

Pookmunki

Naw, I work near the town centre.

Ah, I'm Boots, Clifton bridge is a fanny. My wife is expecting our second in May and I'm paranoid I'll be stuck in traffic, missing all the action.

Speaking of Nottingham, I'm booked to go to Annie's Burger Shack 3 times in payday week with 3 different groups, gon' be a fa fu...

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
I heard Spidey died and Doc Ock took over his body or something... so yeah, happy to stay away right now from spidey. My fav. superhero and not been a good ten years for him in comics or film IMO. I read Ultimate for a while when it started but didn't like it personally, bit too kiddy and didn't like the changes like the Goblin.

Oh wow, weird timing for Miracleman shout out... the beginning is like "Wut? This is Moore?" then it gets soooo good, my favourite of his in fact. My favourite comic full stop actually. Shame they are not releasing it as a trade, but this might break me from my comic sabbatical. Won't say anything more but hope you guys like it. Wonder if they will print the Gaiman ones too.

I think they'll be doing all of Moore and Gaiman and then probably new stuff too. Wouldn't surprise me if they get Gaiman back for it.

Sleep now in the fire is too good, so many of their songs are incredibly relevant right now. What other bands you into Supes? :) Hard to think of many modern bands with a political message... Manic Street Preachers I guess.

I posted this at the end of the last thread, but this band Desaparecidos put out a bunch of singles last year that I hope will make it onto an album soon. Really good, angry political rock music, I've been playing the shit out of this all week http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9buZsbhsP3A (scrappy sounding upload though)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MYXxgDCI7hU (kicks like a mule :) )

Reknoc

Those fucking tramworks, what a pain. The tram line is literally outside my front door (no vehicle access) and each day it feels like there is a different way in and out of the street.

Yea, they keep blocking off or severely narrowing down passages I use to get to work. Which is right next to a school and nursery so I also have to fight through beeston mums with their armies of children.

Traffic around Hyson Green/Forest Fields is shenanigans because of the Asda and tram there, on top of all the pedestrian controlled traffic lights. :S

Reknoc, you hyping for dat Full Boost?

Marc

Happy to recommend stuff. did an English lit degree.

Read Tristram Shandy!

Edit : Musha - how cool is that?!? That's amazing.

Crime and Punishment is a must too, character work at its finest IMO.

I think they'll be doing all of Moore and Gaiman and then probably new stuff too. Wouldn't surprise me if they get Gaiman back for it.

I posted this at the end of the last thread, but this band Desaparecidos put out a bunch of singles last year that I hope will make it onto an album soon. Really good, angry political rock music, I've been playing the shit out of this all week http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9buZsbhsP3A (scrappy sounding upload though)

Cool, could be very interesting.

Awesome, will check it out when I get home, sounds like my kind of thing.

I was trying not to, but thanks for reminding me :mad:((((((

also maybe playing these trailers on repeat doesn't help D:

Come ride the hype plane with me!

tumblr_mwqomgq3AR1spbvjho6_1280.jpg

Superman

You have good taste. One of my favourites there too. Battle for Los Angeles is one of my favourite albums ever actually...

Killing in the name is awesome... Renegades of funk... Bulls on parade... So many great tracks.

I'm one of them who say they like "everything".
I swap to a different genre when I feel burnt out by one type (RATM being the exception, hence why they are my favourite band). Monday I could be rocking out to Led Zeppelin, Rolling Stones & The Who. Tuesday I could be happily content listening to Busta Rhymes, Eminem & Bone Thugs. You get the picture.

With other political bands? I'd say the only one I can think of that I like is U2. There may be others, can't think off the top of my head...

What about you? What you into?

spuckthew

Might as well make my Britishness known!

When is your birthday: 7th September 1990.
Where do you live: Godalming, Surrey.
Where are you from: Godalming, Surrey.
What do you do: IT technician (secondary school).
What is your quest: To start my own for-profit cult.
Favourite actor/actress: Dunno really...I'm really into Benedict Cumberbatch at the mo.
Favourite band/artist: Incubus.
Favourite TV show: Boardwalk Empire (I have loads of faves but this is my 'right now' fave).
Favourite crisps: Chicken.
Favourite biscuit: Hobnobs.
Least favourite Pokémon: Exeggcute.
Stalactites or stalagmites: Stalactites.
How do you cut your sandwiches: Rectangularly.

Favourite actor/actress: Dunno really...I'm really into Benedict Cumberbatch at the mo.
Favourite TV show: Boardwalk Empire (I have loads of faves but this is my 'right now' fave).

Hello! Excellent choice of fave band. What's your fave song?

Guy doesn't get Flex OR All Star Superman, I mean, what can I say? I can't help it if he's got no soul. I would cut off a piece of my own to share if I could...

It's a sad situation.

What thread is this? If he doesn't like The Filth then there is no helping him, so just cut the mug loose.

I'm TPB only these days and I finally got the last piece of the whole of Morrison's run on Batman. I'm gutted about Damian, I loved that little snot nosed oik.

Best. Batman run. Ever.

Saying that, I've also started Snyder's stuff. That guy can really write a good story. Just finished Death of the Family and was very impressed. Still waiting on City of Owls and the Zero Year stuff though. It feels like Bats hasn't been outside of some major event or other in years.

I also got 7 Soldiers on your recommendation, but I haven't dipped into that yet.

Snyder is really good too I think. Have you read Black Mirror? It's a must. Brilliant 11 issue story with art by Jock and Francavilla, easily the best thing he's done so far and I loved Court of Owls. But Black Mirror is the shit.

Black Mirror is superb, but I'm always hesitant to recommend it to new fans because of it having Dick Grayson as Batman.

Moore vs. Morrison

Can't we have both? Although Moore hasn't written anything worth a damn in years, and Morrison's Action Comics was super dissapointing outside a few highlights like the Krypto and Earth-23 stories. I'm hyped for Multiversity, whenever we get it.

People say the current run is goud but it's really not.

Bollocks. ASM's been really good since Brand New Day and that was 175+ issues ago. I like Ultimate, but the line is tainted by Ultimatum and you basically have to read it or the middle part of Peter's saga has no context.
Miles Morales
is great though, I've been catching up since All-New Ultimates looks like my kind of comic.

I was really hoping for a new writer on Amazing with the relaunch though, any of Fraction, PAD or Mark Waid would be good.

Mikeside

No way, you live right near me and Jedeye

Pretty unlikey. I was at the 1972 one!

I use it all the time, and nobody down here understands it at all.. We need to preserve the legend.

Oh dammit, now that gives me a sense of feeling old. Going by family history I might not make it to the next Guild. If I am still alive I shall try to get there.

:-O Ah, I knew you were one of BritGaf's more senior members, so I originally typed '72. Then I replaced it with '92 as I thought you might think I was being cheeky.

It must have been a different place back then (albeit with the same bus station as present). Well, here's hoping you're around for the next one. I'll see you there if so!

phisheep

NeoGAF's Chief Barrister
:-O Ah, I knew you were one of BritGaf's more senior members, so I originally typed '72. Then I replaced it with '92 as I thought you might think I was being cheeky.

It must have been a different place back then (albeit with the same bus station as present). Well, here's hoping you're around for the next one. I'll see you there if so!

I remember very little about Preston itself at the time, in fact I think it is the only time I ever went there - got many more memories of Bolton. Manchester, Bury, Blackpool, Southport, Lytham and Fleetwood.

The one bit of the '72 Guild that I recall vividly was the one huge tent full of everything that Roland Emmett had ever built - including all of the machines from the ChittyChittyBangBang movie and a whole lot of other stuff. That tent alone got national coverage (hey, it was previewed on Blue Peter!) and I felt really privileged to see it.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned

Waiiiiit, what school in Godalming do you work at? I'm at the big one at the top of the hill that I'd rather not be searchable in conjunction with my user name :p

Speaking of comics, my favourite Indy comic book writer, Neil Gibson, just informed me that he's named a character after me in volume 5 of Twisted Dark!

For anyone who is unaware of him and his work I very strongly recommend you check it out, so god damn awesome.

I will keep this in mind :). Having a character named after you is weird, my name is in a game. All I did was pimp that game hard around here, and the dev liked my whoring enough to put me in lol.

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
Over in the main Comics thread, look for the massive walls of text. He was one of those classic "Morrison is weird and drugs" people, they drive me mad. So I can imagine that the Filth would be just a smidge too much. Love that fucking book though, it's so fucked up and is actually saying something. So many comics (or stories in particular) say nothing at all. The Filth is actually a useful thing to have read.

Yeah, I spoke to Veelk about ASS before. He likes grounded comics... Whatever that actually means.

Glad you liked Batman too. I think I would like to have experienced it all in trade, the last issue was a smidge underwhelming when it came out, but I think if all the Spyder stuff is fresh in your mind then it would feel a bit less of a Deus Ex Machina at the end. But I did love it though, loved how the end was Gordon interviewing Bruce, can't believe I've never seen that done before. And Damian... man... he was the best. Such a great character. I've been reading Batman for 20 years now and this is hands down the best Batman story ever, there's not even a contest. Every single little piece of it made me so happy (and I've explained each one to the mrs in exacting detail the poor woman). The Return of Bruce Wayne stuff was especially neat for me since I'd read the original Barbatos arc in the 90s and so when he started referencing it I was so chuffed. Seeding Batman into the history of Gotham and the Waynes was also an amazing touch that was not only giving Morrison's story more depth but also validated and retroactively gave depth to loads of old Bat stories where the Wayne family had Bat symbolism everywhere. And the whole Black Glove thing, Dick as Batman, recontextualising Dick and Bruce as brothers for the first time... fuck it's so good!!

Quite the achievement on his part. Although I must have missed some Batman inc. Spydra did come out of nowhere. Fuuuuuck.

Snyder is really good too I think. Have you read Black Mirror? It's a must. Brilliant 11 issue story with art by Jock and Francavilla, easily the best thing he's done so far and I loved Court of Owls. But Black Mirror is the shit.

I have. I really like Francavilla's work. Black Beetle is brilliant.

Even your very mention of Seven Soldiers makes me want to go grab the issues and do another read (what order to read the issues in this time, hmmmmm). Also has one of my favourite SF tropes in it that I never get tired of seeing.

Oh great you got me all Morrison high, it's going to take ages to calm down now.

I can't wait to dip in.

It's the rolling comic thread, Alan Moore said some rude things and some untrue things recently and it's boiled into a Moore vs. Morrison clusterfuck. Best avoided tbh.

Yeah, I read the interview. It was amazing! That guy can really write.

Still like both of them, though. I must be shallow.

Marc

Btw Musha, in case you didn't know, NIN are coming here (O2) in May. Actually got good tickets this time! *squee*

Congrats on the comic, that is so cool. Heard of Dave Gibbons obviously, not Neil... any examples?

Right, listened to now, pretty cool band and good lyrics. Loving the intro on the Backsell song. Thanks for the links!

Been listening to this song non-stop the last few days, needs to be on a Fantastic 4 movie soundtrack:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tulPARGsY4Y

You have good taste. One of my favourites there too. Battle for Los Angeles is one of my favourite albums ever actually...

Killing in the name is awesome... Renegades of funk... Bulls on parade... So many great tracks.

I'm one of them who say they like "everything".
I swap to a different genre when I feel burnt out by one type (RATM being the exception, hence why they are my favourite band). Monday I could be rocking out to Led Zeppelin, Rolling Stones & The Who. Tuesday I could be happily content listening to Busta Rhymes, Eminem & Bone Thugs. You get the picture.

With other political bands? I'd say the only one I can think of that I like is U2. There may be others, can't think off the top of my head...

What about you? What you into?

Renegades of funk, oh man, such a cool song. Need to go listen to that right now in fact.

Monday sounds like a brilliant day when you put it like that, great taste. Not a fan of rap bar the odd song so tend to give it a miss but generally I like a lot of things. Listen to a fair bit of classical as well just to throw people off. :)

Into mostly rock so stuff like VAST, NIN, Stones, Joy Division, Crystal Method, PJ Harvey, Audioslave/Soundgarden, Chemical Brothers, Iggy and the Stooges, The Verve, Otis Redding, Massive Attack, Filter, The Who, Curve, Nina Simone, Prodigy, Ray Charles... and of course Beethoven and Chopin. :D A sample of the stuff I listen to, but I am like you but worse, I burn out on artists quickly and move on... very few I will listen to several of their songs in a row. No attention span I guess.

Welcome! Love Incubus' Megalomaniac, Boardwalk is up there as my favourite too, work in IT as well and Benedict is boss... so good taste! :D Everyone here seems to have good taste, people in real life need to step up their game.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom