• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BritGAF |OT6| Dark Souls? More like Arse Holes

8bit

Knows the Score
chicagoanoftheyear-600x406.jpeg

Danj

I see an Overwatch avatar, I'm guessing you preordered? I'll be getting a preorder for my birthday tomorrow, anyone wanna add me on PC and play some games later in the month when it comes out?

My battle.net is Danj#2393.

I think I preferred this thread when no one posted in it.

Sorry... Y'know I've popped in here before, but never had much to say.

Anyway, off for a flat viewing tomorrow. Was just told by the girl I'm potentially letting it with that the tenant might expect us to be a working couple, though...

Wait a second, this is starting to sound like the plot to S.P.A.C.E.D.

CrbFX7D.gif

sploatee

formerly Oynox Slider
I can now play the drums to Brianstorm. Slowly.

Matt Helders is a fucking beast. So good to see a decent English rock drummer. UK bands just don't seem to care that much about beast drummers these days. The Americans put us to shame.

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
I can now play the drums to Brianstorm. Slowly.

Matt Helders is a fucking beast. So good to see a decent English rock drummer. UK bands just don't seem to care that much about beast drummers these days. The Americans put us to shame.

I'm sick of your UK drummer bashing! Oh yeah, maybe in yer high falutin famous bands they aren't hench or beast or whatever you kids call it, but you be looking all wrong ways, innit? Grass roots, man, that's where the good shit be.

Shitwife have Aphex Twin's younger brother on drums. Not literally. GAWD. White Devil White Devil have a monster for a drummer. Punching Swans' drummer is all over it. Nitkowski have a crackin drummer boy on toms who'll put most US bands to shame. TO SHAME! Fucking Screenwives' one plays with his cock! HIS COCK! YES, HIS COCK! I SEEN IT! Do your Arctic 'George Formby ooo Ain't I So Northern LaDeeDa' Bellends do that?! Eh?

EH?!

...yeah. sorry.

Mikeside

I'm sick of your UK drummer bashing! Oh yeah, maybe in yer high falutin famous bands they aren't hench or beast or whatever you kids call it, but you be looking all wrong ways, innit? Grass roots, man, that's where the good shit be.

Shitwife have Aphex Twin's younger brother on drums. Not literally. GAWD. White Devil White Devil have a monster for a drummer. Punching Swans' drummer is all over it. Nitkowski have a crackin drummer boy on toms who'll put most US bands to shame. TO SHAME! Fucking Screenwives' one plays with his cock! HIS COCK! YES, HIS COCK! I SEEN IT! Do your Arctic 'George Formby ooo Ain't I So Northern LaDeeDa' Bellends do that?! Eh?

EH?!

...yeah. sorry.

stop being so edgy with your unknown bands & put on some Coldplay, like the rest of us

NinjaBoiX

"lol, why would you listen to GloballySuccessfulSupergroup#437 when clearly listening to UndergroundArt-RockBandWithTheEdgyName#335 is the path to a more rewarding and fulfilling life?"

*sips goat's milk skinny chai latte through an agave straw*

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
....I actually like Coldplay

BUT THEY DON'T PLAY DRUMS WITH THEIR COCKS SO WHATS THE POINT EH

I'd bet there's a Coldplay track or two in Super Hans' Glasto set.

In between snippets of Tristan and Isolde and Der Ring des Nibelungen.

"lol, why would you listen to GloballySuccessfulSupergroup#437 when clearly listening to UndergroundArt-RockBandWithTheEdgyName#335 is the path to a more rewarding and fulfilling life?"

Bless. Let me fix that for you:

"lol, why make a generalisation about UK drummers when you only reference GloballySuccessfulSupergroup#437 when clearly UndergroundArt-RockBandWithTheEdgyName#335 prove this to be untrue?"

You're welcome.

Also: I like my coffee like I like my men; hot and mean.

You know if I actually listened to bands that still played analog instruments made out of wood (FUCKING LMAO) I might give a shit about up and coming indie bands with names for Novice tier rebellious youngsters.

My taste is augmented.

sploatee

formerly Oynox Slider

EH?!

...yeah. sorry.

Why apologise? I'm happy for the tips! I'll have a listen.

Hey - super late to this and I'm aware it makes me look a bit like a Coldplay fan (MIKE HA HO HA) but you ever hear the Mars Volta? I was a massive ATDI fan (saw them back in the early 2000s when they were touring Relationship of Command and it was life affirming) but for some reason I decided Mars Volta were prog and as I physically despise The Floyd I thought I'd leave it to the Yes fans. How wrong I was! I've only heard the first album so far but it's a belter. Great great great drums too. And guitar. But that's obvious with Omar there.

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
I'm sure feral apes also have trouble appreciating Yeats poems.

Are you equating your yacht music to Yeats? Ballsy. :D

Why apologise? I'm happy for the tips! I'll have a listen.

Hey - super late to this and I'm aware it makes me look a bit like a Coldplay fan (MIKE HA HO HA) but you ever hear the Mars Volta? I was a massive ATDI fan (saw them back in the early 2000s when they were touring Relationship of Command and it was life affirming) but for some reason I decided Mars Volta were prog and as I physically despise The Floyd I thought I'd leave it to the Yes fans. How wrong I was! I've only heard the first album so far but it's a belter. Great great great drums too. And guitar. But that's obvious with Omar there.

Ha! Just my tongue in cheek way of highlighting some good UK drummers.

Yeah, MV are super talented. I got onboard with the early stuff (hipster, that I am) but never kept up. Yeah, the drummer(s) is (are) out of this world.

Rubbish King

The gift that keeps on giving
Got uncharted and finished it in a few days....Pretty bloody good I must say, such a reliable franchise for gameplay, story and hot damn this one was like playing a fucking action movie (Not that the others aren't like that, but they got me again.) Problem is those kind of games are the one I play once. Wish they let me play it on the hardest difficulty without having to unlock it via a slightly easier playthrough.

Verdict:

Good game, still not as good as Uncharted 2 though.

Thinking I might trade it in tomorrow so I have the maximum money from CEX or game to reinvest in more gams

Easy target.

The level of dislike for them is a bit interesting. I wonder if it's partly because of:

- The standard 'they're very popular so they're shit, ugh, MAINSTREAM'
- Overexposure to certain songs in talent shows/charity things
- Chris Martin generally seems quite happy and positive. And as a cynical nation, we hate that. GOD, stop being so jolly about your success. And enjoying it. Yet mostly remaining normal. WHAT A PRICK. We want a reason to hate him, and 'some songs are a bit average' isn't enough, so that drives us more mad. WHAT A TERRIBLE PERSON.

Like, U2. They're ubiquitous in a similar way. But Bono being weird and then names like 'The Edge' give us things to pin on to go 'UGH' about. And in Bono's case, rightly so. Chris Martin? Doing STARJUMPS? Cos he's happy? TWAT.

Some of it's dross, but I'm good with some of their work. I remember really liking the Viva La Vida album at the time.

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
The level of dislike for them is a bit interesting.

I can't speak for anyone else but - apart from the fact that Yellow was ubiquitous at a particularly horrible time in my life - I find everything about them offensively inoffensive. Like Enya, I guess. I can't get anything out of it. It's just so dull. The level of adoration they receive considering how anodyne and one note it all is seems a little disproportionate to me.

People like what they like though.

8bit

Knows the Score
The level of dislike for them is a bit interesting. I wonder if it's partly because of:

- Chris Martin generally seems quite happy and positive. And as a cynical nation, we hate that. GOD, stop being so jolly about your success. And enjoying it. Yet mostly remaining normal. WHAT A PRICK. We want a reason to hate him, and 'some songs are a bit average' isn't enough, so that drives us more mad. WHAT A TERRIBLE PERSON.

Like, U2. They're ubiquitous in a similar way. But Bono being weird and then names like 'The Edge' give us things to pin on to go 'UGH' about. And in Bono's case, rightly so. Chris Martin? Doing STARJUMPS? Cos he's happy? TWAT.

Some of it's dross, but I'm good with some of their work. I remember really liking the Viva La Vida album at the time.

They're kind of bland, maybe? I admire Chris Martin for putting up with Gwyneth Paltrow though, as pretty as she is she seems batshit mental.

It's like being annoying with a colour though.

Rage against beige.

Skele7on

Banned
Got uncharted and finished it in a few days....Pretty bloody good I must say, such a reliable franchise for gameplay, story and hot damn this one was like playing a fucking action movie (Not that the others aren't like that, but they got me again.) Problem is those kind of games are the one I play once. Wish they let me play it on the hardest difficulty without having to unlock it via a slightly easier playthrough.

Verdict:

Good game, still not as good as Uncharted 2 though.

Thinking I might trade it in tomorrow so I have the maximum money from CEX or game to reinvest in more gams

I enjoyed it more than UC2 TBH it was a classier affair and DEM EASTER EGGS.

Mistake Crushing destroys pacing, seriously.
MP is amazing you shouldn't trade, also single player DLC on the way.

NinjaBoiX

Coldplay are alright man, as others have said, it's just they're an easy target. You just sound like you've run out of ideas taking shots.

Also, Chris Martin seems like a top dude, for reals. Funny, smart, humble and generous almost to a fault. Really self-deprecating humour too. To be honest, he's like the quintessential example of "likeable British bloke", he also just so happens to be disgustingly rich and famous.
Meanwhile, mine is still in its wrapper and I'm waiting until the weekend to start it. Man, fuck working full time.
I feel you b, I've all but given up on playing games these days. Literally, about two hours a week is all I've really got time for. My time pie chart would be divided thusly (I'm not actually making a pie chart, visualise innit):

Full-time service industry job
Helping my bro with his business
Spending some time with pals
Buying new clothes
Housework
Masturbating
Vidya games

I started Tales of the Borderlands over a week ago and haven't even reached chapter 2 yet.

Also:

nMxdeL3.gif

Was it Coldplay that recently had the music video where they're all chimps?

That video filled me with indescribable rage for some reason, it was just so fucking horrid.

NinjaBoiX

Was it Coldplay that recently had the music video where they're all chimps?

That video filled me with indescribable rage for some reason, it was just so fucking horrid.
The part where the chimp picks up the bluetooth speaker and his fingers coincidentally leave a perfect gap for the Beats by Dre™ logo to be clearly visible:

gdm2T61.jpg

Ugh...

sploatee

formerly Oynox Slider

You see U2 had Achtung Baby and Zooropa. Still occasionally irritating but some neat ideas and sounds. Pop was shit but it was an interesting failure.

Coldplay actually don't annoy me. They disappoint me. :) a rush of blood was good - elegant pop with a little bit of mystery to it, viva la Vida had some good moments too, but since then they've gone full pop and I feel it's a bit of a waste of the interesting stuff.

Loads of people hate whoever is the stadium band du jour. When it was Oasis, it was the same. Muse get it too, Red Hot Chili Peppers, Snow Patrol, Kings of Leon etc.

For me it's the same principle as Coldplay. I don't like it when the quirks and uniqueness of early stuff gets polished into standard Big Mid Tempo Rock. Radiohead are the only one I can think of who stuck to their own path. Will wait to see what the next Arctic Monkeys album is like, but they seem to be doing their own thing too.

I guess I also buzz off of interesting musicianship and a lot of the Big Mid Tempo Rock bands never seem to have that (they seem to disregard that in favour of simple hooks a stadium can sing along to). Ultimately ive never been to a stadium gig ive enjoyed.

NinjaBoiX

Parachutes was decent (never got Yellow though, those blunt, off-key chords always fucked me off), A Rush of Blood was good, didn't really listen to much after that apart from the singles.

I've basically always thought they were a solid band that just never really excited me. The title track from Parachutes is a pretty little ditty though, simple and concise (45 seconds):

Coldplay - Parachutes
Both Coldplay and U2 are also balls deep into their "SAVE THE SHTARVIN CHILDRUN" preaching.
Um, what a bunch of dicks, I guess?

Mikeside

I really like Parachutes through to X&Y, then I sort of fell out of listening to them much, but I enjoy a lot of the singles I hear - Princess of China and Adventure of a Lifetime are pretty great though

Top Bottom