• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BritGAF |OT6| Dark Souls? More like Arse Holes

I love my flat but it being ground floor with the bedroom being on the roadside means I can't have my window open overnight. And in this heat...sigh.

NinjaBoiX

OYuA4Ae.jpg

mclem

So, earlier this year I wrote this in a topic about Jury Duty.

I did jury duty in the UK a few years ago and found it pretty interesting. Wasn't waiting around *too* much - was on a case by the first day's afternoon, did that case for five days, was not required for the second week - and it was interesting to see the process. The case was an unpleasant one with quite a lot of detail (although, frustratingly, not a lot of direct evidence) so it made discussions fairly in-depth about what we regarded as reasonable doubt.

If I were to be called again, I wouldn't try to dodge it.

...and now it appears that I may have to live up to that...:

i5oZS8S.jpg

I guess it's just random selection at work, but twice in the space of four years is a little surprising.

Qasiel

So, earlier this year I wrote this in a topic about Jury Duty.

...and now it appears that I may have to live up to that...:

i5oZS8S.jpg

I guess it's just random selection at work, but twice in the space of four years is a little surprising.

Same thing happened to my Dad a while back. He had 3 summons in the space of about 5 years.

So I realised I hadn't actually commented in this thread before, time to rectify that.

Where do you come from? Reading, Berkshire
What's your job/current education/whatever the heck it is you're up to? Fulltime University Student
What do you hope to achieve before your futile existence comes to an end? Publish my own novel. Also maybe figure how far back my Polish ancestry goes.
Favourite daytime TV show? I don't think the news counts as a proper TV show.
Fish or chips? Chips
Daddy or chips? Chips
What's your tipple of choice? I don't drink
Favourite party snack? Chocolate Fudge Brownies
Who is the best bald person? Patrick Stewart
What's your disappointing claim to fame? I was part of an archaeological field school that began work on the Vale of Pewsey last year, and human remains were found in the trench I worked on. I left the week before the skeleton was found.
What's your perfect Sunday? Slightly overcast, slightly cool, with the promise of a roast dinner at the end of the day.
Did you threaten to overrule him? What?
Did you threaten to overrule him? I don't understa-
It's a yes or no question minister, did you threaten to overrule him? Fuck off.

Mikeside

So I realised I hadn't actually commented in this thread before, time to rectify that.

Where do you come from? Reading, Berkshire
What's your job/current education/whatever the heck it is you're up to? Fulltime University Student
What do you hope to achieve before your futile existence comes to an end? Publish my own novel. Also maybe figure how far back my Polish ancestry goes.
Favourite daytime TV show? I don't think the news counts as a proper TV show.
Fish or chips? Chips
Daddy or chips? Chips
What's your tipple of choice? I don't drink
Favourite party snack? Chocolate Fudge Brownies
What's your disappointing claim to fame? I was part of an archaeological field school that began work on the Vale of Pewsey last year, and human remains were found in the trench I worked on. I left the week before the skeleton was found.
What's your perfect Sunday? Slightly overcast, slightly cool, with the promise of a roast dinner at the end of the day.
Did you threaten to overrule him? What?
Did you threaten to overrule him? I don't understa-
It's a yes or no question minister, did you threaten to overrule him? Fuck off.

I just moved out of Reading.
You're an archaeology student? My friend Greg graduated from Reading uni doing that course last year

I just moved out of Reading.
You're an archaeology student? My friend Greg graduated from Reading uni doing that course last year

Museum Studies and Archaeology specifically. I stayed local due to my autism and figuring it'd be easier to cope that way, but it also worked out since I've had a thing for history since I was a child and well, Reading is one of the better universities for that stuff. Still, nice to discover those little connections.

You a born resident of the town yourself, or came here and then left again?

Mikeside

Museum Studies and Archaeology specifically. I stayed local due to my autism and figuring it'd be easier to cope that way, but it also worked out since I've had a thing for history since I was a child and well, Reading is one of the better universities for that stuff. Still, nice to discover those little connections.

You a born resident of the town yourself, or came here and then left again?

From nearby - Crowthorne. I just moved out of Reading to Blackwater which is nearby. Are you born and raised?

From nearby - Crowthorne. I just moved out of Reading to Blackwater which is nearby. Are you born and raised?

Yep. Family's scattered in and around the county; Dad works in Bracknell, I've got cousins in Newbury, and grandparents in Chieveley. Went to English Martyrs and Blessed Hugh Faringdon, if you know either of those schools.

I went to Trocadero yesterday (that ~gallery in Piccadilly, central London), what the fuck did they do to it? Where are the anime merchandising shops now? There is a fucking horrible gift shop with that horrendous loud music and cheap products instead =(.

Qasiel

Trocadero's awful now, and has been for a while. Namco by the London Eye's the only big place with an arcade in it anymore.

Mindwipe

I went to Trocadero yesterday (that ~gallery in Piccadilly, central London), what the fuck did they do to it? Where are the anime merchandising shops now? There is a fucking horrible gift shop with that horrendous loud music and cheap products instead =(.

Even the Starbucks is gone now, it's crazy how badly they've mismanaged that place. And that Starbucks was reliably packed, so it can only be rent insanity that has backfired.

Trocadero's awful now, and has been for a while. Namco by the London Eye's the only big place with an arcade in it anymore.

That's a pretty dismal, rat infested shithole too to be honest. But at least it's there.

Qasiel

That's a pretty dismal, rat infested shithole too to be honest. But at least it's there.

I'm finding it hard to disagree with you, considering how all the games are slowly getting phased out for more fruit machines. The beer's a joke too.

Still, like you say, it's there.

Hey brit gaf never knew this thread existed lol always been a lurker in gaming and off topic with occasional posts but never venture to off topic community

Where do you come from? Leicester
What's your job/current education/whatever the heck it is you're up to? Auditor
What do you hope to achieve before your futile existence comes to an end? No idea
Favourite daytime TV show? Scrubs
Fish or chips? Chips
Daddy or chips? Chips
What's your tipple of choice? Don't drink bit milk
Favourite party snack? Sausage rolls
What's your disappointing claim to fame? None
What's your perfect Sunday? Gaming in morning walk in the afternoon with dogs and good meal and movie at night.
Did you threaten to overrule him? Why yes I did
Did you threaten to overrule him? YES
It's a yes or no question minister, did you threaten to overrule him? Okay I didn't you got me

Started watching Stranger Things. Interesting so far (only 2 episodes in), hoping in holds up for the rest of the season. Seems to have awesome reviews overall.

Qasiel

Regarding arcades, are those of you lusting familiar with heart of gaming? Moving to Shepards Bush soon.

Yeah, I follow them on Facebook. Looking forward to checking them out when they open. Its unlimited gaming all day for something like a tenner if I remember rightly. Sounds like a day well spent.

Been tempted to try this as well. U recommend it so far
Yeah I'm intrigued as to where it's going next for sure.

Also tonight finally got around to watching Archer. The first half of season 1. Loving it so far. Archer is an incredible assshole and all the characters are funny. The DVD extra has the pilot episode where Archer is replaced by a velociraptor. It's amazing.

So is the GWR the main train network in the UK? I am looking to get from Bath to Cardiff for a day and I am trying to work out my options. I will leave in the morning and return at some point in the evening.

So is the GWR the main train network in the UK? I am looking to get from Bath to Cardiff for a day and I am trying to work out my options. I will leave in the morning and return at some point in the evening.

GWR routes cover much of the south and south west of the UK - our rail network is heavily regionalised, with a major company covering each region. But, GWR is what covers your intended route - Bath Spa to Cardiff Central - so just grab an off peak return if you think that'll fit your hours, or an anytime if you want flexibility (basically peak hours are when operators expect to be busy due to commuters). Having just checked on the National Website you're looking at around £20 for the trip.

GWR routes cover much of the south and south west of the UK - our rail network is heavily regionalised, with a major company covering each region. But, GWR is what covers your intended route - Bath Spa to Cardiff Central - so just grab an off peak return if you think that'll fit your hours, or an anytime if you want flexibility (basically peak hours are when operators expect to be busy due to commuters). Having just checked on the National Website you're looking at around £20 for the trip.

Thanks. That's what it looked like when I did my search.

The Enchanter

Neo Member
Started watching Stranger Things. Interesting so far (only 2 episodes in), hoping in holds up for the rest of the season. Seems to have awesome reviews overall.

I'm about 5 eps in and I'm enjoying it also. Equal parts creepy, interesting premise, characters. Also loving the nostalgia factor of it being set in the 80s too.

sploatee

formerly Oynox Slider
CHEEZMO™;214652787 said:
Any Mancs going to Pride this weekend?

Yep

might do shit lesbian disco on Friday (but prob not)

only definite is bollox at the deaf institute on sunday night

I will be parading my new hair

I just finished 4 so I'm halfway through. Loving it.

There's a Stranger Things themed clubnight here in Bristol next month. I really want to go but it's a Wednesday night. Why can't it be a Friday or Saturday!? Grrrrr...

sploatee

formerly Oynox Slider
CHEEZMO™;214781562 said:
Sound

Gonna be getting smashed in Village across the weekend (but nothing new there lol)

Ossum. I'd say I'd probs see you but it'll be so rammed all I'll see is armpits

Your new hair is fantastic. I'm well jell :( It really suits you :)

Ha thanks! I opened the closet door and have stepped out into the beautiful Manchester sun

Daffy Duck

I got back from a weeks holiday abroad last week and got out of the loop of all this Brexit bollocks, and now I've only heard about it the last few days I started watching the news again but it's pissing me off hearing all about it, and the same old squabbles of may or may not actually happen and BS media articles about it all.

I wish I was back on holiday.

faridmon

Any one know a cheap place to stay in for a weekend in Liverpool?
Or, even better, if there is a GAFfer who have a Sofa I could crash :p

Thanks

Top Bottom