• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Buying a 4K TV for PS4K thread!

picklesjr

Neo Member
If anyone can help me with the epp program or whatever to get a Ks800 Ill pay you 20 buck to use your login info. I just don't want to miss out on this deal.

coastel

Just got myself a philips 43pus6401 just for the bedroom with my pro. Very happy with it after gaming on a 1080p tv. Will buy a better one next year when the better HDR tvs come down in price. Really didn't think I would see much of a difference but it is very noticeable and the colours are far better. Not tried a hdr game on it yet as I don't own a game with it but it's very basic hdr I can only imagine how good the high end 4k hdr tvs look.

ZOONAMI

this is the one I am going for Black friday.

Is there a deal on it for bf? The target $250 hisense I'm pretty sure is an h7.

I already picked up the 55 inch from best buy but will get them to price match is it goes less than $499 anywhere for the 55.

ZOONAMI

Ok, so anyone with the un49js8000?

I have a 55h8c which I like a lot but the main negative is it only has 2 hdr inputs.

I could get an open box 49js8000 from best buy for $800.

I'm just not sure if spending an additional $300 is worth it for 6 inches less screen size.

Any one have direct experience with both the 49js8000 and the hisense h8c?

Is there a dramatic difference as far as pq, colors, contrast? The Hisense has very good pq and blacks/contrast, but color gamut is not quite as wide.

If anyone has experience with both is there a dramatic enough difference to justify $300 more and a smaller screen?

For those of you with the Hisense or OLED how are you finding the input lag, especially if you've tried playing with mouse and keyboard on it? I feel a bit remiss recommending it over the Samsung 6300 now as I'm finding personally 40ms input lag to feel sluggish and 60 or so to be pretty much intolerable. I also come from a gaming monitor though so I guess that doesn't help. The 21ma or so on the KS8000 in gaming mode feels quite responsive though. So personally it seems like my upper echelon for comfort seems to be around 30ms or so (much more tolerable on a controller).

ZOONAMI

For those of you with the Hisense or OLED how are you finding the input lag, especially if you've tried playing with mouse and keyboard on it? I feel a bit remiss recommending it over the Samsung 6300 now as I'm finding personally 40ms input lag to feel sluggish and 60 or so to be pretty much intolerable. I also come from a gaming monitor though so I guess that doesn't help. The 21ma or so on the KS8000 in gaming mode feels quite responsive though. So personally it seems like my upper echelon for comfort seems to be around 30ms or so (much more tolerable on a controller).

Feels fine to me on the hisense h8c. 4K 60Hz 444 doesn't feel noticeably worse than my samsung 28 inch 4k monitor with kbm. I may not be all that perceptive to input lag though so I dunno.

It also runs 10 bit 422 4k and 12 bit 420 4k, I don't know if those might help with input lag at all.

I did discover that 120Hz exhibits frame skipping in further testing on hdmi 1, will try 120Hz on hdmi 3 tonight as hisense Customer support in Amazon comments has actually said 120Hz is supported on hdmi 3. 120Hz 1080p felt like the mouse was moving noticeably quicker though.

I also don't really use kbm all that much for couch gaming, but Xbox one wireless on pc is also responsive.

Weevilone

That's a neat and tidy solution, but that price range is well past what I was hoping to pay.

Might be worth considering down the road, but for now I guess I'll stick with the nightmare of extensions and splitters taking up the dark corners of my room.

I went through a period of time where my power was iffy, and I was constantly having voltage dips. I figured better to spend it on something like that than to have a display or something fail down the road. Even though I consider the power issues to be mostly resolved, it's amazing how often the unit kicks in to fill power dips. There is a mechanical relay and you can hear a faint click when it happens.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I wouldn't necessarily need more, since the only 4K devices I would have are the PS4 Pro and the Xbox One S. The TV has four HDMI inputs, so the receiver would likely just carry the leftover 1080p devices (like the Wii U, PS TV, Apple TV, etc).

But does the Sony receiver actually have 4 HDMI inputs that are all 4K compliant? If so, that extra port plus the cheaper price may cause me to get that one. But I really want to know what the difference between the two is.

Assuming both receiver and tv have an ARC compatible socket you can get audio to the receiver from anything attached directly to your TV.

*however* - you'll only get compressed 5.1. If you connect e.g. a PS4 to your receiver, then it can pass lossless audio (either from bluray or LPCM from games).

So ideally if you buy a receiver with 4K/HDR compatibility, try to get one with enough inputs for things where audio will be important for you. If you're not that bothered and 5.1 is fine then you could just get a non-4K receiver for less

ZOONAMI

Assuming both receiver and tv have an ARC compatible socket you can get audio to the receiver from anything attached directly to your TV.

*however* - you'll only get compressed 5.1. If you connect e.g. a PS4 to your receiver, then it can pass lossless audio (either from bluray or LPCM from games).

So ideally if you buy a receiver with 4K/HDR compatibility, try to get one with enough inputs for things where audio will be important for you. If you're not that bothered and 5.1 is fine then you could just get a non-4K receiver for less

Arc is compressed like optical? I never knew that.

Attrition

How is AGS still in business? I don't get it.

I called them, while my TV was in transit from Samsung's warehouse to their Seattle warehouse, to give them my phone number - which Samsung hadn't passed along. I don't get a call from them until I call them two days after it arrives in Seattle. We schedule a delivery for Thursday between 12 and 4. During that call I realize they don't have a record of me paying for white glove delivery. The lady also informs me that they do not do white glove on any floor but the first floor, even though Samsung doesn't stipulate anything about that, and actually says they will deliver the TV to any room in the house. So she says she has to contact Samsung to make sure that I did in fact pay for white glove delivery and will call me back.

Two days later I call them and the order is no longer being delivered on Thursday but is on hold until they figure out the delivery type. Guy I just spoke to suggested I speed things up by trying to contact Samsung myself to ask them to get in touch with AGS to inform them that I did, in fact, pay for white glove delivery.

I mean what the hell...

TheFlow

Banned
Is there a deal on it for bf? The target $250 hisense I'm pretty sure is an h7.

I already picked up the 55 inch from best buy but will get them to price match is it goes less than $499 anywhere for the 55.

Walmart has the H8 55 inch for 500. I am going for it.

BillyJack

Banned
One of the biggest manufacturers in China, and an Olympic sponsor.

Hardly a McDonalds TV.

I guess I'm more concerned with the quality of the TV. I don't think those two things you mentioned are a good qualifier for quality.
They make a shit ton of them in kazakhstan! Oh and they sponsor the the badminton competition at the olympics.

I haven't really noticed, but then again, I might not notice these things. I will try to pay more attention tonight? What is a good test for input lag?

TheFlow

Banned
Hisense?

What kind of Mcdonalds tv is that?

please lets not shit up the thread.

I guess I'm more concerned with the quality of the TV. I don't think those two things you mentioned are a good qualifier for quality.
They make a shit ton of them in kazakhstan! Oh and they sponsor the the badminton competition at the olympics.
The quality of the tv has already been proven on just about every site possible, and it is recommended here. What else you want?

ronin_cse

Neo Member
I bought the Hisense 55inch H8C. It's an entry level 4k TV, but I'm quite happy with it so far. Great picture quality and rtings had a solid review of it.

I just ordered this yesterday! Can't wait for it to arrive. I understand that other TVs will have better PG and better HDR but oh well. What I really want is an OLED and those won't come down in price for a couple more years I think, this will be a great stop-gap until then.

Edit: also after a bad experience with a high end Samsung Plasma dying a month after the warranty I pretty much have to get an extended warranty for my TV now, but with Hisense supplying a 4 year warranty I don't need to worry about that. Adds even more value.

ronin_cse

Neo Member

There's a huge thread on this tv over at avsforums.com and most comments are very positive on this tv. That community is especially obsessed with picture quality and such so I trust the consensus there. Seriously for this price I don't think you can do better.

Madness

Hisense?

What kind of Mcdonalds tv is that?

They're alright. They have pretty much cornered the low end market of the electronics world because of their prices. Think Samsung in the late 90's or Vizio a decade ago. They are on the cusp of breaking into the top but they need to change perception in the west. Your comment about what kind of McDonald's tv hits the nail on the head. TCL, Hisense, Huawei, ZTE, Oneplus, Xiaomi they are really pushing out their much like Japanese and Korean brands did not so long ago. At this point, I still wouldn't recommend Hisense over the others though.

Attrition

Anyone? Seems like a good deal to me..

It's a pretty good deal for a 70 inch TV. Here is rtings.com review of the television. Their conclusion on the TV is that it is a "good TV for a mixed usage. It isn't bad at anything. It will work in any kind of rooms since it is versatile. It is especially good for video games and sports."

TheFlow

Banned
They're alright. They have pretty much cornered the low end market of the electronics world because of their prices. Think Samsung in the late 90's or Vizio a decade ago. They are on the cusp of breaking into the top but they need to change perception in the west. Your comment about what kind of McDonald's tv hits the nail on the head. TCL, Hisense, Huawei, ZTE, Oneplus, Xiaomi they are really pushing out their much like Japanese and Korean brands did not so long ago. At this point, I still wouldn't recommend Hisense over the others though.

I think I sparked a discussion about this a couple pages ago and the hisense versus the samsung in the same price range had better colors.

Symphonia

Banned
The quality of the tv has already been proven on just about every site possible, and it is recommended here. What else you want?
He's clearly one of these elitists. Unless you have an 65" OLED or higher, you're scum to him. I've seen a few of them mingling in the PS4 Pro/UHD TV threads.

The Goat

Input lag on my B6 OLED feels fine. Even without using game mode setting. Though I've not tried any games that support HDR yet. I imagine that might be where I "feel" the lag.

Weevilone

He's clearly one of these elitists. Unless you have an 65" OLED or higher, you're scum to him. I've seen a few of them mingling in the PS4 Pro/UHD TV threads.

I wouldn't jump to conclusions. My home theater interest is on again, off again.. depending on whether I am shopping for something. I had not heard of them until just very recently either. I was actually thinking it was something available in Europe only, or a retailer's house brand (ie Insignia).

Symphonia

Banned
I wouldn't jump to conclusions. My home theater interest is on again, off again.. depending on whether I am shopping for something. I had not heard of them until just very recently either. I was actually thinking it was something available in Europe only, or a retailer's house brand (ie Insignia).
I was referring to BillyJack, not you.

It's a pretty good deal for a 70 inch TV. Here is rtings.com review of the television. Their conclusion on the TV is that it is a "good TV for a mixed usage. It isn't bad at anything. It will work in any kind of rooms since it is versatile. It is especially good for video games and sports."

Thanks for finding that review. Looks like it is 10-bit HDR 4:4:4 - it doesnt say if the HDR is available in Game Mode, but I assume it is. 60hz kind of worries me..

chaosaeon

Has anyone managed to get a KS8000 through the samsung deal if you live in Canada ?
You'd have to pay a boatload for shipping and or mail forwarding + tax+border fees+conversion right ? Has anyone got a KS8000 in Canada from this deal ? What did it end up costing and which services did you use to make the shipping etc happen ?

Samsung UN50KU6300

Yay or Nay?

No wide color gamaut, so hdr doesnt look as good as tvs with wcg, but regular 4k content looks good, and input lag is good. For the price i personally think its a good tv. I played at a friends house for about 3-4 hours of infinite warfare, first light, and uncharted 4.

I haven't really noticed, but then again, I might not notice these things. I will try to pay more attention tonight? What is a good test for input lag?

I feel like without a contrast point it's hard to evaluate it properly. For me though it was immediately noticeable in photoshop when trying to draw lines, or deal with fine details. It was also immediately apparent in faster moving games like BF1.

Tbh though I can't just tell on the desktop in general. The cursor is sluggish and effects my targeting.

Being in PC mode vs being in game mode had a noticeable difference on my performance in game and the amount of mistakes I made when doing some photoshop work and coding.

No wide color gamaut, so hdr doesnt look as good as tvs with wcg, but regular 4k content looks good, and input lag is good. For the price i personally think its a good tv. I played at a friends house for about 3-4 hours of infinite warfare, first light, and uncharted 4.

Whats a comparable T.V that has WCG? trying to keep my purchase around 1200$ Canadian. (Wife will kill me If I spend anymore then that)

ZOONAMI

Any thoughts on this deal from Amazon and Best Buy?

Sony XBR55X700D 55-Inch HDR 4K Ultra HD TV (2016 Model) + PlayStation 4 Pro For $999

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01M354IAF/?tag=neogaf0e-20

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/offer/1...e6a0ecd61be813e5720INT&id=pcmcat1477337825922

Saw it on SlickDeals

Imo you'd be better off getting the h8c 55 and ps4 pro for $900. Slightly better dci-p3 color coverage and a va panel with local dimming for better black level. Ips panel on the Sony makes it a no for me personally.

Input lag better on the Sony though.

Imo you'd be better off getting the h8c 55 and ps4 pro for $900. Slightly better dci-p3 color coverage and a va panel with local dimming for better black level. Ips panel on the Sony makes it a no for me personally.

Input lag better on the Sony though.

The difference between even the best IPS panels and VA is something I can't get past. VA is too far superior.

Top Bottom