• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Byron Smith convicted of premeditated murder of two teens during home break-in

Status
Not open for further replies.
There is no material possession worth someone's life. I think the fact that they only came in because they thought he was gone would demonstrate they were interested in stealing, not attacking the owner.

I'm not excusing their robbery, but I can't take the logical step of "they wanted to take a TV without paying for one, therefore they deserved to die".

This is the problem with the death penalty. When you have one, everyone thinks it's okay to mete it out on their own as a valid punishment.

Saying I don't feel bad for them is not the same as saying I wish death upon them. I don't know these people any further than their singular act of criminality. I'm not going to shed any tears over two doped up kids breaking into a vets home, that's all.

homeowner-fatal-shootings.jpg

The mother of the male victim.

Holy shit. Woman looks like a meth head. No wonder this poor kid's life was all screwed up. Girl's parents don't look like stable and responsible people, either.

That nut job needs to be put down like a rabid dog, and these parents deserve to live with their grief for the rest of their lives.

Those people are disturbed. It's like they want someone to break into their home so they can fulfill their sick twisted fantasy of blowing people away.

this is how it is from the crime ridden streets to the burbs to the country. Have guns for defense? You glorify and worship what guns are meant to do...to kill, render deceased, to end life...all based on fear and slaying your enemies first.

CrankyJay

Banned

Holy shit. Woman looks like a meth head. No wonder this poor kid's life was all screwed up. Girl's parents don't look like stable and responsible people, either.

That nut job needs to be put down like a rabid dog, and these parents deserve to live with their grief for the rest of their lives.

You got all that from a single photo? That's solid, Champ.

Carnby

You're basing this on one picture of the parents at their killer's sentencing. What the hell is wrong with you?

Regardless of premeditation, he ended them both execution style long after they'd been incapacitated. Dude deserves to rot in a cell for the rest of his days.

Kastrioti

Persecution Complex
Does anyone know if any of the family members had a chance to tell this psycho how they feel in the courtroom after his conviction or are they going to do it during sentencing phase?

That audio was frightening.

BLACKLAC

wtf?

Anyway I'm not surprised to see justice served in this case.

You're basing this on one picture of the parents at their killer's sentencing. What the hell is wrong with you?

Like I'm the only person on GAF to point to a picture and say "Person looks like they're on meth."

Okay then, give me your sterling analysis on what, you think, kind of home environment would lead a kid to a life of crime?

I'm just saying, ALL of the adults in this situation are responsible for the death of the two kids.

Carnby

Like I'm the only person on GAF to point to a picture and say "Person looks like they're on meth."

Okay then, give me your sterling analysis on what, you think, kind of home environment would lead a kid to a life of crime?

I'm just saying, ALL of the adults in this situation are responsible for the death of the two kids.

I don't know. And neither do you.

Zabuza

Banned
Oh my God at that audio. People like this make me sick to my fucking stomach. God fucking damn. No remorse either. Christ.

But is it a stretch to blame the parents as well for not knowing where their kids are and what their kids are doing?

I'd quit while your behind here. It is a stretch actually. Kids from upper class families break into peoples houses just for kicks sometimes.

You have no idea the circumstances that lead to these kids doing these things and making a series of connect the dots based on the physical appearance of the mom in a photo is jumping to conclusions to put it lightly.

Trey

\I'm just saying, ALL of the adults in this situation are responsible for the death of the two kids.

The man who shot two kids and is getting life is responsible, yes.

The One and Done™;110304109 said:
Stories like this and some people in threads like this demonstrate very clearly why there is little hope for humanity.

Hardly. You are easily discouraged.

It's a pretty huge generalization that ALL delinquent teens or children come from low income or broken families. You don't know anything about this family or about these people.

This guy should have checked the race of those teens before shooting them, had they been Black he almost certainly would have been found not guilty by the jury.

Again, I don't know. I'm not an armchair critic or Captain Hindsight.

Okay then, and that's totally fair. I see where you're coming from, but I think we can all agree that most troubled teens who turn to crime come from broken homes/lack of parental guidance, etc. This is a statistical fact.

I agree that it's harsh to judge someone based on a photo, but I'd wager money on the notion that these families have dealt with some very serious problems which lead these teens to act out and perform criminal acts. I wonder how many here would bet against that.

Zozz

Banned
Solidchamp you sound like a real piece of shit. Have some decency.

My god that audio.

I'm at a loss.

This news came in a couple of days ago. Surprised to not see the other thread bumped(but maybe it was when I wasn't looking). Jury got it right in just over 3 hours no less.

Carnby

My god that audio.

I'm at a loss.

Hey now. There's no need to insult the guy.

You're probably just worked up from listening to the audio. That's the reason I won't ever listen to it. In a way, I feel like if I listen to it, I'd lose what little innocence that I have left. Because up until now, I haven't listened to audio of two teenagers being murdered, and I'd like to keep it that way.

My god that audio.

I'm at a loss.

You don't know the first fucking thing about me, dude. I'm not without decency or compassion. Quite the opposite, I am very sincere.

I fucking care that the goddamn parents didn't seem to have control over their kids. Better parenting might have helped to avoid these poor teens getting shot by a sick maniac.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative

The parents deserve to live with grief because you don't like the way they look?

Wow.

Okay then, and that's totally fair. I see where you're coming from, but I think we can all agree that most troubled teens who turn to crime come from broken homes/lack of parental guidance, etc. This is a statistical fact.

I agree that it's harsh to judge someone based on a photo, but I'd wager money on the notion that these families have dealt with some very serious problems which lead these teens to act out and perform criminal acts. I wonder how many here would bet against that.

How is that relevant at all? Their children were just murdered. Let them grieve in peace without unnecessary judgements.

How is that relevant at all? Their children were just murdered. Let them grieve in peace without unnecessary judgements.

I won't dispute that.

Though I still hang my head and wonder why these kids felt they needed to live that kind of life.

It's tragic, the whole damn thing.

It's important to KNOW who your children are, in this day in age. I just hope these folks have learned that.

You don't know the first fucking thing about me, dude. I'm not without decency or compassion. Quite the opposite, I am very sincere.

I fucking care that the goddamn parents didn't seem to have control over their kids. Better parenting might have helped to avoid these poor teens getting shot by a sick maniac.

you judging someone to be a meth head and deserve to live the rest of their lives with grief based on a picture? A-OK. Someone judging you though? "How fucking dare you!?"

I honestly couldn't listen past the 14 minute mark when he killed her. Anything else crazy happen after that?

Right after he kills her goes back into the conversation he was having (with nobody) at the beginning of the recording. It's pretty weird and crazy. I'm curious if he has had a mental evaluation.

At one point he starts going on this spiel where he seems to be ranting to himself about how what he did was the right thing cause he can't rely on the legal system. It seemed like pretty damning evidence.

He also clearly says at one point "I left my house at 11:30, they were both dead by 1". Again, seems pretty damning since it seems to prove the prosecution is right and he had planned this all out.

So you're saying it wouldn't be fair for us to judge you based on our first impressions of you?

Okay, then.

Zozz

Banned

Ohhhh assumptions can be completely incorrect! Who knew!?

GSG Flash

Nobody ruins my family vacation but me...and maybe the boy!
The guy is a psychopath murderer so that's the correct conviction. Even without all the psycho premeditated planning, the kids posed no threat to the guy once they were injured, but he murdered them in cold blood.

This whole thing is like a story out of a horror movie.

The parents deserve to live with grief because you don't like the way they look?

Wow.

They deserve perspective. They've got it with this insanely unnecessary event.

Do you understand how needless this whole thing is? These kids were foolish and misguided, and they didn't deserve to die.

At what point are the parents responsible for the things their kids do? I've seen both sides of the coin, fellas. I've lived in the lower-middle class, come from a problematic family myself, seen my brother turn to petty crime...as a result of bad parenting. That whole "hands-off" approach, not caring.

Now I live in a place where it's all upper class. I live in a solid community centred around one of the top international schools in the world. I see families who GIVE A SHIT about where their kids are and what they're doing.

It's a difference maker, folks.

I am wrong to judge based on appearances, but I just wish there was more guidance involved in these teens' lives.

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.

Do you understand how needless this whole thing is? These kids were foolish and misguided, and they didn't deserve to die.

At what point are the parents responsible for the things their kids do? I've seen both sides of the coin, fellas. I've lived in the lower-middle class, come from a problematic family myself, seen my brother turn to petty crime...as a result of bad parenting. That whole "hands-off" approach, not caring.

Now I live in a place where it's all upper class. I live in a solid community centred around one of the top international schools in the world. I see families who GIVE A SHIT about where their kids are and what they're doing.

I am wrong to judge based on appearances, but I just wish there was more guidance involved in these teens' lives.
So upper class people give a shit about their kids and lower class don't. Got ya.

edit: and rich kids can be fucking idiots as well, you know. Your whole argument is ridiculous here.

I know they were doing B&E's.

What do you take away from that?
That they are doing dumb fucking shit and shouldn't be doing it.

You know, I'm glad he's in jail and all, but I don't really feel bad for the criminals. No one "wins" here, just an awful situation brought about by awful people clashing head to head.

why are you saying 'the criminals' as if Byron Smith isn't the biggest criminal of them all. yes, the two dead teens broke some laws and should have lived to be caught and had some serious and appropriate punishment dolled out to them.

but they didn't murder anyone. when someone commits a crime against you, that doesn't give you the right to commit a bigger crime against them.

Byron wasn't threatened. He didn't use his weapons in self defence. He set a trap, and lay in wait, and then *executed* two teenage criminals. That's murder one, and that's exactly why he was found guilty of it.

The teenagers thought they were breaking into an empty property. They are not comparable to the people who break into a property while the inhabitants are asleep. They were not home invaders. They were not armed. The only reason they broke into someones house while that someone was home, was because Byron purposefully made it look like he was out.

You are allowed to use lethal force to defend yourself. In states with castle law, you are not expected to flee, should you be able to do so. You are absolutely not allowed to bait a trap, and then murder the criminals that walk into it. That they are committing a crime at the time, doesn't matter one jot.

Byron did not use lethal force to defend himself. He murdered two people. He would have murdered more, had more people entered his house to see what happened to them.

Big Chungus

Wow...really dude?

Okay.

So here's where we stop and take a step back. I've said some stupid things that probably need rephrasing and my intentions need to be restated.

I'm not going to go that route.

You guys are getting pissed off. Instead of asking questions and discussing the matter further with me to see if we can't get on the right track, shit is intensifying and I'm just making things worse.

So I'm opting out here. I've offended all of you, and that was sincerely not my intention, and for that, I apologize.

I AM on the same page as everyone here though, just to be clear. We certainly agree on the simple fact that Smith is a fucking murdering bastard.

I'm just trying to get some perspective on who these teens were. But I've gone about it the wrong way.

Time to chill.

I know they were doing B&E's.

What do you take away from that?

that they should have been caught, charged appropriately, served out their sentences and been given a chance to rehabilitate themselves.

lots of good parents have kids that get into drugs and who turn to crime. espescially in rural areas. I'd love to see how great you'd look showing up in court after someone you loved was murdered. Maybe you'd look a little haggard too. Maybe you'd have bags under your eyes. Maybe you'd let your personal hygiene go.

You wouldn't be the first grieving person to do it.

Holy shit. You asshole.

You have absolutely no idea how those kids were raised or even why they were breaking in. The parents, unless they told them to break in, had nothing to do with it. I mean jesus.

If your brother is an example of bad parenting, how did you turn out so well?

Rorschach

I don't really want to listen to some kid die, but listening to his statement to the police. Did she really laugh at him when he went to go "finish her off"? Dude sounds like a movie villain in this recording.

that they should have been caught, charged appropriately, served out their sentences and been given a chance to rehabilitate themselves.

lots of good parents have kids that get into drugs and who turn to crime. espescially in rural areas. I'd love to see how great you'd look showing up in court after someone you loved was murdered. Maybe you'd look a little haggard too. Maybe you'd have bags under your eyes. Maybe you'd let your personal hygiene go.

You wouldn't be the first grieving person to do it.

You've got me there. I concede.

But I'm also going to remember this the next time GAF makes "Meth, not even once" jokes about a picture of a person.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom