• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Call of Duty: Black Ops II is Aprils 10th Best Selling Gaming in the US [NPD]

Gowans

9. Overwatch
10. Call of Duty: Black Ops II
11. Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare
12. Horizon: Zero Dawn

Finally, you may have noticed that 2012’s Call of Duty: Black Ops II outsold Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare. That’s because you can now play the Xbox 360 version on the Xbox One, and that juiced the game’s sales.

Source: https://venturebeat.com/2017/05/18/april-2017-npd/
Full April NPD Discussion http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1376466

Caught this news on twitter and then popped into the NPD thread and saw it, wow. (thought is was worth a thread for the guys who don't check the NPD threads)

I checked out on COD every year at BLOPS1, I must be missing out.

nOoblet16

BO2 was an amazing game and it's so surprising how much Treyarch shit the bed with BO3 and its campaign.

It is also kind of disappointing that Infinite Warfare franchise is now most likely dead because I really loved the SP. It was a very good Battlestar game.

RedRum

Banned
What?? Wow. That's pretty damn amazing. It does show that interest in good games of the past are still legitimately wanted.

Dueck

Banned
Clearly no one uses backwards compatibility. Absolutely no one.

I know. It's clearly inferior to such great paid streaming services as PS Now (which is only allowed to exist because of Don Mattrick leaving Sony with a lot of good will - that has seemingly began to finally erode, mind you). Second place almost always does the smartest things, because they aren't blinded by overconfidence.

So you're telling me that when a company listened to incessant whining by people on social media, they were rewarded? Kind of crazy when you think about the notion 4 a bit.

Falchion

It's insane how much people love that game. Really cool for am older game to have a player explosion like that.

Card Boy

Banned
It's funny when people say BC doesn't sell systems, I bought a Xbox One due to BC (not the only reason, but a big reason). I'm sure there are heaps of other people did the same thing. I truly believe the PS4 could of been even bigger than it is if it had PS3 BC and none of this PS Now bullshit.

Chris1

Really don't know what's better, that it's charting top 10 or that it's above IW.

Actual sales numbers should be quite high aswell since it's revenue based and not units

Creaking

He touched the black heart of a mod
I hope Sony sees this and feel like fucking morons. Horizon outsold by Black Ops fucking 2 :lol

I really hope they invest in PS3 emulation, even if it takes years for it to be viable and it has to be handled on a game-by-game basis. Hell, even if it doesn't see the light of day until the PS5!

Too many good titles stuck on PS3 in suboptimal conditions that won't ever get remasters.

Then again, the PS4 can't even read PS1 or PS2 games. Good grief. That feel of being on top...

amdb00mer

I love the irony of this and the fact it beat out COD: IW. It is directly related to BC on X1. There is no other explanation as to why it made a reappearance. It has been on sale plenty of times before. BC on X1 is the only reason I can think of for it showing up again in the NPD top 10.

Hasney

I hope Sony sees this and feel like fucking morons. Horizon outsold by Black Ops fucking 2 :lol

I hope MS see this and feel like fucking morons. Minecraft outsold by Black Ops fucking 2 :lol

If it was the launch month I'd see your point, but not really now.

gamz

I'm fully on board with digital carrying over. I don't want to lose my collection anytime soon. Really glad MS is making it happen.

I hope MS see this and feel like fucking morons. Minecraft outsold by Black Ops fucking 2 :lol

If it was the launch month I'd see your point, but not really now.

Doesnt make any sense. MS would feel stupid? They implemented the BC feature. BO2 is an old ass game and it managed to pass games that released this year, this many years after it launched. Its impressive.

Nope! Not when they've got remasters to sell you.

They wont sell much bundled into another full game.

Kill3r7

BLOPS2 has been in the top 5 most played X1 games since it was added to BC. Really impressive especially when you consider that IW rarely makes Top10.

BO2 was an amazing game and it's so surprising how much Treyarch shit the bed with BO3 and its campaign.

IMO that's what happens when you try to add gimmicky jumpjet bullshit mechanics arbitrarily to FPS games. Activation was just trying to ride Titanfall's coattails and it tanked all three games that used it.

Card Boy

Banned
Nope! Not when they've got remasters to sell you.

You may be joking but they already put Black Ops 1+2, COD2, W@W and 3 on BC. MW Remastered existing doesn't mean anything and they put Black Ops 2 on BC after IW+MWR was out. Something happened with Bioshock Infinite, Skyrim, Assassins Creed and Borderlands BC and their remasters. There is money still to be had from old games.

Still have half of the first page for an 'Eugh, North Americans have such awful taste in games, ruining the industry and holding down noble Japanese games' post but I'm glad we got the Microsoft has no games one in early.

Top Bottom