• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Call of Duty: Black Ops II is Aprils 10th Best Selling Gaming in the US [NPD]

Savantcore

Unconfirmed Member
I hope Sony sees this and feel like fucking morons. Horizon outsold by Black Ops fucking 2 :lol

Live scenes:

giphy.gif

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
Blops 2 is the best CoD I've played. It's incredible that it managed to crack the top selling games chart. Just goes to show that bc can give games a longer shelf life on consoles.

TaKeRx

BLOPS2 is definitely an amazing game. I triple dipped myslef! Will play more games soon and get that feeling back from years ago. Good times...

Principate

Saint Titanfall
Yes, I'm sure Sony executives are so sad that they'll sleep on their pile of $50 bills instead of the usual $100s.

I mean Sony as a whole company isn't doing that well profitability wise in comparison Microsoft. I mean franly their small fry profitability wise.

Bergerac

I hope Sony sees this and feel like fucking morons. Horizon outsold by Black Ops fucking 2 :lol

Wanting Sony backwards compatibility is one thing.

Wanting it to the extent that you would throw good new IP under the bus to make a supposed point, is another.

BLOPS 2 was the best COD game outside of MW2 to me so it isn't all that surprising. I don't know if I'll want to jump back in since graphics and bots and all of that stuff are back in order but hey, enjoy.

That is kinda sad huh?

What is sad about this? Lol this is Horizons 3rd month on the NPD chart. I doubt this even makes Sony blink an eye seeing as most BW compatible games are not blowing up the charts like this.

wapplew

It should be number 1. People should stop buying MK8D and GTAV and buy BO2, send them a massage.
No BC no buy.

Effect

Nice! Black Ops 2 is a damn good game in both single player and multiplayer. Better than the ones that came after it by a wide margin.

Horizon sold in February is number 12 in April, when BLOPS 2 BC was released April is number 10 in April.

Why are we console warring here?

Daffy Duck

It's a shame it has some horrible kind of input issue on the multiplayer, really doesn't feel great to play online.

I guess CoD fans have some weird nostalgia complex because the most recent outings for the last several years have been terrible. Never really got into the CoDs after MW2. Nothing came close to that beautiful shitshow.

dugdug

Banned
Why are people saying this should force Sony's hand?

I mean, I agree. I'd prefer real BC to PSNow. But, this is *one* backwards compatible game that's selling well, and, it's from the most popular console gaming franchise outside of Minecraft.

And, did Xbox One beat PS4 in console sales last month, or something?

kuYuri

It's certainly crazy and a testament to BC and the strength of Black Ops 2, but this is just a one off and not a trend. I don't expect Black Ops 2 will continue to chart two or three months later.

Kill3r7

It's certainly crazy and a testament to BC and the strength of Black Ops 2, but this is just a one off and not a trend. I don't expect Black Ops 2 will continue to chart two or three months later.

Correct and if it does it speaks more to its popularity than anything else. Although now with digital data included in the NPD we should be better able to track stuff like this.

jim2011

You may be joking but they already put Black Ops 1+2, COD2, W@W and 3 on BC. MW Remastered existing doesn't mean anything and they put Black Ops 2 on BC after IW+MWR was out. Something happened with Bioshock Infinite, Skyrim, Assassins Creed and Borderlands BC and their remasters. There is money still to be had from old games.

This is activision we're talking about, the company that "remastered" the transformers, prototype, and marvel games instead of allowing them to be bc. If they see a way to make more money, they will and for cod, that means adding micro transactions.

M.W.

How's the input lag if any? I'm used to Titanfall 2's tight responsive controls. Does going back to this game feel "off".

dcx4610

Campaign wise, it's by far the worst CoD I've ever played and almost made me stop playing the series. It's such a goofy and unrealistic game with terrible acting and storytelling. I had to force myself to finish it.

Did anyone actually enjoy the campaign? I'm playing through Ghosts now and expected more of the same but it's leagues better.

gamz

why are we discussing this in a separate thread instead of the official NPD?

Because it's surprising news. A five year old game makes the top 10 because of BC? That's pretty damn incredible.

I mean we make a thread on every Spencer tweet for god sakes.

Gestault

I'm hoping this is one of those case studies that motivate companies to better tailor long-term support on their games (and publishing priorities) after seeing the dividends it can pay when buyers, platform holders, and most importantly the publishers are on the same page. We saw something close to this on the hardware side too with the NES classic getting #2, but I feel like it's getting cut short with it being discontinued while the demand curve is where it is.

Edit: I always try to craft a response to the OP, rather than just reacting to reactions, so I'm glad I did that first, but it's really sad seeing familiar names riled up by good news like this.

Chris1

Because it's surprising news. A five year old game makes the top 10 because of BC? That's pretty damn incredible.

I mean we make a thread on every Spencer tweet for god sakes.

Exactly, games get separate threads all the time when surprising/important sales information come out from charts. Prey had one only a few weeks ago even. Dunno why people making a big deal over this one.

Duxxy3

Campaign wise, it's by far the worst CoD I've ever played and almost made me stop playing the series. It's such a goofy and unrealistic game with terrible acting and storytelling. I had to force myself to finish it.

Did anyone actually enjoy the campaign? I'm playing through Ghosts now and expected more of the same but it's leagues better.

Compared to Black Ops 3, the campaign in Black Ops 2 is oscar worthy.

Backwards compatibility has been an interesting thing this generation. I often wonder if people would buy these games and play them as much if they were BC from the start. Somehow the wave of releases causes anticipation and hype. I like how it shows publishers that they can make money off of old games and do virtually nothing. This is also the first generation of BC that the previous generation had a massive library of games able to be played online. And you can still play them online.

Good job Phil and team.

Ambient80

IMO that's what happens when you try to add gimmicky jumpjet bullshit mechanics arbitrarily to FPS games. Activation was just trying to ride Titanfall's coattails and it tanked all three games that used it.

CoD riding the coat tails of Titanfall? Lol, nah. Titanfall wishes it was in a position to have CoD ride its coat tails. TF may get more critical praise nowadays but in sales they're not even close, even with "weak" IW sales. Now if you said that they drew inspiration from TF, maybe, but AW was the first jetpack game for CoD which released like six months after TF1. Meaning, AW was in development long before TF1 was released. AW also didn't have wall running, just the double jump/boost.

13ruce

Banned
Maybe people want to play a non lootbox infested cod game? Makes perfect sense and black ops 2 is pretty good also contains alot of great multiplayer and zombie maps.

Apdiddy

People still buy Black Ops II and Activision still can't figure out how to do a trophy/achievement patch to fix "Big Leagues." It's been over TWO YEARS since it was last obtained.

PixlNinja

Banned
I REALLY want to switch from a PS4 to Xbox One/Scorpio because of the Xbox having a better ecosystem.

MLB The Show and those Japanese games tho..

Top Bottom