• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Call of Duty: Ghosts online multiplayer discussion thread

cresto

1. What's the max amount of ammo I can get in a clip for an LMG? (sorry if my gun terms aren't correct)
2. How are Blitz/Cranked? (please say fun)
3. Do the large maps work well on Ground Wars?

I played the majority of last night with Blitz. It's a lot of fun if you have a few friends to play with. You have to coordinate who is going to be on offense and defense essentially. The open maps maps trekking across them a chore, especially on Siege (terrible map, way too big and 100 different directions, no exaggeration). I think this is the better gametype from the new group. Think of it like CODs Football. You have to get to their end zone to score.

Cranked is frantic, as expected. I think it's fine, but nothing all that special. You gain the speed boost and quicker reload after you shoot a guy. I have yet to run out of time. It makes TDM more interesting and the kill limit is 100 versus standard 75. It goes quick. Games last 5-7 minutes.

Chojin

1. What's the max amount of ammo I can get in a clip for an LMG? (sorry if my gun terms aren't correct)
2. How are Blitz/Cranked? (please say fun)
3. Do the large maps work well on Ground Wars?

1. I think 300? More with extended mags.
2. Cranked is very chaotic. Its hard to coordinate with teamplay because everyone is worried about exploding all the time. I like Blitz a lot more, its like Football and if you communicate you can dominate easily.
3. Not sure, no ground wars on 360 or WiiU version :( I'd say they'd be fine, a lot better ground wars than it was on blops 2, which felt like a clusterfuck.

I know I say "than on blops2" here a lot, I liked it, but I got bored of it quickly, I found myself only sticking with three guns and not bothering to unlock others, this one feels like there's more variety and with the map sizes there's plenty of use out of other guns. I like how some guns come with attatchments like the Honey Badger allowing you to mix up even ARs for the right combination at the time.

Squads are great because it sets up a lot of custom classes you can use without having to unlock more than the initial three or getting rid of a layout to try another.

Lyonaz

I suck at multiplayer on PC with this game. The mouse aim feels all wrong and way too fast and I tried that smoothing option which only helped a bit. Also it seems I'm lagging way bad when I watch the killcam.
I do like that there is a controller option, which actually feels much better for me. I guess I'll mainly just play the Campaign and Extinction and do MP in BF4. It's a shame, because I was actually decent in MW2 MP.

ShogunX

Online is decent enough but I cant shake the feeling of BLOPS2 being the far superior package. Search and Rescue is a decent new mode but it shouldn't be at the cost of the traditional S&D mode. I have also had a fair bit of fun on cranked just for the pure madness of everybody running around the map but....

The game feels rushed and therefore is missing features and game modes that previous entries have offered. At this stage it seems Infinity Ward is only a name. Treyarch are the true Kings of COD these days.

Where can I change my emblem and player card. Picked both for my first char last night but can't find where to chanfe it now. Or are they permanent on ecery squad member?

alterno69

Banned
Map size isn't really an issue, although some just seem like there is a ton of wasted space and too many branching paths. Whiteout, for instance, has a whole town area and you can enter almost every building. Why? What purpose does that serve?

That's my main issue too, but i'm sure once i get to know the maps i will feel better about it, it was the same for me in Blops II, tho these maps are way bigger.

I played Blitz last night and the above comparisons to Football are spot on. CoD = America.

If they had a bigger or varied goal or target areas, and maps specifically designed for Blitz... imagine the possibilities!

It may just turn into one of my new favorite modes after Kill Confirmed. They're really making the series E-Sports friendly!

I didn't pay a lot of attention to the game beforehand but the new Marksman Rifle class is awesome. I've loved the semiautomatic ARs in the past games and now to have an entire class of one? Joy. Just gotta figure out how they play. I do like the Honey Badger from the regular Assault Rifles though. I mean come on. Honey Badger.

I can see myself enjoying this game quite a bit.

cresto

That's my main issue too, but i'm sure once i get to know the maps i will feel better about it, it was the same for me in Blops II, tho these maps are way bigger.

You could literally cut these maps in half and they would probably average MW3 sized maps, which I never had an issue with. I wish they would block some areas based on the game type so that you could get into some more interesting firefights. I feel like you either stumble into each other or get shot in the back. How can you be tactical with this happening all the time? You can't set up a position because you can get to it from 5 different directions. Yuck

I played Blitz last night and the above comparisons to Football are spot on. CoD = America.

If they had a bigger or varied goal or target areas, and maps specifically designed for Blitz... imagine the possibilities!

That would make it a hell of a lot more interesting and you could get a lot more out of the maps if they rotated between 2-3 locations on each side of the map. These maps can easily accommodate that too. Hopefully they can do something like that. It would prevent people from camping the cap location on either end (I've come across teams just setting up and capping the thing 3-4 times before I can even get over there).

JaggedSac

Yes. All versions of the game get dedicated servers, but they definitely aren't running yet at least for 360. This is pretty typical - Gears 3 and Battlefield 3 were both nightmares initially re: dedis.

Cool, have they made statements on when they are going to be brought up?

It may just turn into one of my new favorite modes after Kill Confirmed. They're really making the series E-Sports friendly!

Yeah, I only played a couple of rounds of Blitz, but it was by far my favorite new gametype. Definitely better than Cranked. Think I'm going to miss Headquarters though...

ant_

not characteristic of ants at all
Blitz is by far my least favorite modes. I like the new maps and all of the routes you can take, but it makes a mode like Blitz almost impossible to defend on some maps. I just don't like it because I haven't really figured out a good way to defend my point.

And if I go on offense I just end up sprinting to the enemy objective and then it just ends up being the two teams swapping points because it's pretty difficult to defend.

I am enjoying Cranked/Kill Confirmed.

okayfrog

Banned
I played the majority of last night with Blitz. It's a lot of fun if you have a few friends to play with. You have to coordinate who is going to be on offense and defense essentially. The open maps maps trekking across them a chore, especially on Siege (terrible map, way too big and 100 different directions, no exaggeration). I think this is the better gametype from the new group. Think of it like CODs Football. You have to get to their end zone to score.

Cranked is frantic, as expected. I think it's fine, but nothing all that special. You gain the speed boost and quicker reload after you shoot a guy. I have yet to run out of time. It makes TDM more interesting and the kill limit is 100 versus standard 75. It goes quick. Games last 5-7 minutes.
Well, I wouldn't have friends to play with, so hopefully Blitz would still be fun. Cranked sounds neat, though. Love that frantic style. If memory serves me right, Kill Confirmed was a part of Ground Wars in BO2. Did they add any other gametypes to Ground Wars?
1. I think 300? More with extended mags.
2. Cranked is very chaotic. Its hard to coordinate with teamplay because everyone is worried about exploding all the time. I like Blitz a lot more, its like Football and if you communicate you can dominate easily.
3. Not sure, no ground wars on 360 or WiiU version :( I'd say they'd be fine, a lot better ground wars than it was on blops 2, which felt like a clusterfuck.
300!? Oh please tell me that is true. It's been a while since I've had 200+ ammo on a single mag/clip/whatever. Good to keep hearing good things about Blitz. Sure sounded fun. Like in regular capture the flag, is there a respawn timer, or is it automatic like most other game types?

Chojin

Well, I wouldn't have friends to play with, so hopefully Blitz would still be fun. Cranked sounds neat, though. Love that frantic style. If memory serves me right, Kill Confirmed was a part of Ground Wars in BO2. Did they add any other gametypes to Ground Wars?

300!? Oh please tell me that is true. It's been a while since I've had 200+ ammo on a single mag/clip/whatever. Good to keep hearing good things about Blitz. Sure sounded fun. Like in regular capture the flag, is there a respawn timer, or is it automatic like most other game types?

End zone has a timer on it. I can't remember if the timer gets longer the more points you have to kinda handicap it or not.

Groundwar again I don't know whats up as I only have it on Xbox and Wiiu, but there is a groundwar like mode where it mixes it up with team deathmatch and kill confirmed.

Rixxan

Appreciate you making this thread

And yes - my post was a tad cunty/douchey but I just grew tired of clicking the OT for actual content and being bombarded with negativity.

Anyway,

Enjoying the game so far, feel like its gonna be hard to maintain a good KDR with this version - probably harder than any of the previous versions.

Kacar

Been loving it so far. Posted most of my thoughts in the OT. Sitting at a 2.5 KD. Its been consistently going up since I unlocked a sniper and have gotten comfortable with the maps.

Having more fun playing Domination on this then I have had on any previous game.

I mostly snipe if its the proper map. Been using the ARX and the 3 burst assault rifles otherwise.

Gonna try out SMGs tonight. Read an article saying Vector had the best damage output. Guess I'll start with that

a916

How are people feeling about the maps? Someone said they are closer to MW2 because of their size (which is awesome if true)

Alright guys I haven't seen any dynamic changes in the maps. Which ones are dynamic?

Is that Flood map have the water rising gradually? I couldn't tell. Other than that I have yet to see skyscrapers falling or destructible buildings or an entire map being leveled.

I was in a map with the hot dog stand, forgot what it was called, and someone ended up calling a "Death Strike". It destroyed the entire map and everything changed. The buildings were broken down and the landscape changed. It was a totally different map from that point on.

I also played on the map where there's a bunch of robots and server rooms. I don't know what triggered this but the entire map ended up getting filled with gas for a good minute.

Enordash

Bought Wiretap on recommendation, but I'm not completely sure how much use I'm getting out of it. I need to try the Marksman rifle with burst after reading about some people's success. The thing kicks really hard and getting three shots on someone can be a pain especially when it seems like an assault rifle would get the job done quicker. The amount of perks in this game is nutso. I need to read through them and see what's interesting. You could make a pretty crazy run and gun class with all the speed perks. Has anyone used Ping? It sounds amazing.

Edit: When people are unlocking perks, make sure you are looking at the squad point number and not the perk value number. That could be why people are thinking they are getting ripped off on their squad points.

a916

This thread is for civil discussion of the merits and demerits of the various guns/builds/maps that can be found in the new Call of Duty game. It is not a place for "lol CoD" shitposting, so please take that to the OT and every other CoD thread on this forum.

This thread is also for recounting your experiences with the game, positive or negative. Please go into detail to avoid general "this game is garbage" types of posts.

Awesome. Wait...

Alright guys I haven't seen any dynamic changes in the maps. Which ones are dynamic?

Is that Flood map have the water rising gradually? I couldn't tell. Other than that I have yet to see skyscrapers falling or destructible buildings or an entire map being leveled.

Really dude? This thread is for people to discuss the MP with civil thoughts, if you want to troll or cute shots and reference BF4, there's countless other threads for that.

okayfrog

Banned
Awesome. Wait...

Really dude? This thread is for people to discuss the MP with civil thoughts, if you want to troll or cute shots and reference BF4, there's countless other threads for that.
I don't think he was trolling, dawg. There are actually maps with dynamic changes in the game. The pre-order bonus map was one of these maps.

bidguy

Banned
im enjoying it but it seems like health is reduced in mp

enemies drop like flies lol

i know its cod but this is way too fast and hectic. everywhere you go theres somebody running. every room has 3+ entrances which makes it even harder to survive 5 or more kills

its better than black ops 2 though.

Kacar

Awesome. Wait...

He's not trolling. Strikezone(I think) has the bug explosion that changes the landscape. The gas station explodes in another. A sattelite crashes in whiteout. Those are the 3 I've noticed.

I was in a map with the hot dog stand, forgot what it was called, and someone ended up calling a "Death Strike". It destroyed the entire map and everything changed. The buildings were broken down and the landscape changed. It was a totally different map from that point on.

I also played on the map where there's a bunch of robots and server rooms. I don't know what triggered this but the entire map ended up getting filled with gas for a good minute.

The gas thing is kind of weak. Hope there's more terraforming maps. I like that kind of stuff.
He's not trolling. Strikezone(I think) has the bug explosion that changes the landscape. The gas station explodes in another. A sattelite crashes in whiteout. Those are the 3 I've noticed.
Thanks. Looks like someone has to get a requirement for it to happen.

I hope at least half the maps have something crazy going on not just like two or three.
Awesome. Wait...

I'm not trolling, LoL!

One of the reasons why I was looking forward to mp for Ghosts was the dynamic maps. I really like maps that change during play like Sonic Racing Transformed. Keeps it varied.

Just asking which maps did what that's all.

im enjoying it but it seems like health is reduced in mp

enemies drop like flies lol

i know its cod but this is way too fast and hectic. everywhere you go theres somebody running. every room has 3+ entrances which makes it even harder to survive 5 or more kills

its better than black ops 2 though.

I agree that health is super low in this one, to the point where core feels a bit more like Hardcore on the other games. I'm vastly enjoying it, though my KDR isn't up to my usual level (2.5 or above, now sitting at a bit below a 2).

Any word on refunding Squad Points, or a SP cap per squad member?

bigf00t

I'm really enjoying the multiplayer so far, but I'm getting a little tired of playing Dom purely with randoms. If you're playing on PC, feel free to add me on steam: bigf00t. It would be great to have one or two other reliable people on my team.

RedAssedApe

Banned
so i did some perk unlocks. was playing with a friend last night and he said that he couldn't unlock those same perks and we were the same level.

do the required levels to unlock a specific perk change if you unlocked some other perk in that same category already?

gun unlocks take forever in this game...i think its because matches take so fucking long due to the large maps/max 6v6 combo.

Zarovitch

I don't know the name of the map, but a gaz station explode and fall apart.

i like that map change, can't wait to play more.

fozzy

Maps are massive. But they're also mazes within their size.

You die so fast! Absolutely love it though.

Also I think cranked is maybe the fastest game type to level up. Between 3 and 4 thousand points for a good player.

Good idea for a thread. Here's my cross-post from the Wii U CoD thread.

Played multi-player for four hours last night. Here's some early impressions:

- Map design is definitely a different philosophy from the idea of having fronts and lanes that Treyarch is so good at. I didn't like MW3's maps, but I do like the large size here (that slows down gameplay) and that may alleviate my issue with the Swiss cheese style of IW's maps. Overall, it's too early for me to judge.

- Pointer controls are great. For the first time, Treyarch carried over the exact same remote values to the next game. I just entered in my Black Ops 2 values that I wrote down, and I was good to go. I tend to favor good map positioning and I am admittedly not the best gun fighter, but I feel like I'm winning gunfights I would've lost in previous entries.

- Connections are smooth. I played and chatted with a random person from Australia yesterday from my apartment in LA, and the game experienced maybe one hiccup in that match. (Talking to polite randoms?)

- Sliding is fun. Not sure if it's helping me, but I use it all the time.

- Spawns are not fun. I have no idea how they messed up the spawns (an issue across platforms), but I have spawned directly in front of and behind enemies. This means I have both gained and lost from the system, but it's not a good one. I spawned a few feet in front of someone on that enormous Stonehaven level.

And you will see people "standing still" on your killcam before they run ahead and shoot you in the back. That means they just spawned.

- They nerfed all my fun campy tools. Okay, some people will like this, but with maps that have a bunch of different entrances, it's nice to know at least a couple of them are blocked off. I don't camp windows, but I do try to control zones. Aside from the maps, this is made even more difficult.

The IED (proximity mine) is weaksauce. It beeps 3 times before detonating and it feels like someone running past will not get killed. Claymore and betties are gone. The motion sensor is completely different. It's not a portable radar anymore. Now it just tags someone that walks by it. I'm not even sure if it paints them on the radar or just gives you a brief wallhack Oracle effect. So for slower players, expect to get shot in the back.

- My biggest complaint is the unlock system. It's atrocious. I'm 7 levels in, and I have 4 guns unlocked. The only thing that unlocks with pure leveling up is perks. Everything else takes squad points. You start out with three loadouts with 2 ARs and 1 SMG.

All guns, scorestreaks, lethals, tacticals, etc. takes points. A lot of points. And you get points at a snail's pace. They could quadruple the rate of unlocking and it still wouldn't be enough.

This really hurts experimentation, and honestly it makes the early game much less exciting. I'm stuck using the same guns and the same gear all the time. Even individual attachments take a lot of points. This is not something that will just be fixed by the time you reach the end level (55 or 80 or whatever). I really hope they change the system somehow. The pace of unlocking is glacial.

- Overall, I'm having fun though. More impressions to come.

Tenumi

Banned
So, as someone who's likely going to end up as a Christmas noob, I've got two questions gun-wise: Anything like the m60/mk48 of previous games, and how are Marksman rifles, balance wise?

Chojin

Bought Wiretap on recommendation, but I'm not completely sure how much use I'm getting out of it. I need to try the Marksman rifle with burst after reading about some people's success. The thing kicks really hard and getting three shots on someone can be a pain especially when it seems like an assault rifle would get the job done quicker. The amount of perks in this game is nutso. I need to read through them and see what's interesting. You could make a pretty crazy run and gun class with all the speed perks. Has anyone used Ping? It sounds amazing.

Edit: When people are unlocking perks, make sure you are looking at the squad point number and not the perk value number. That could be why people are thinking they are getting ripped off on their squad points.

I'm not sure how good wiretap is. Honestly I don't know exactly how the SATCOMS work. I know they stack and get better, but they just seem like they don't work often enough, plus the time limit on them is only a minute. Awareness and a good headset and team communication is best. Plus you'll hear players in game yell out spotting from time to time. It's a lot harder to use the map if at all.

Kick is high on marksman rifles but the MR-28 has a grip already attatched to it. It reduces the recoil by a fair amount for accurate burstfire shots. It's not so much of a headshot device, but on burst the groupings towards the body will usually put someone down. With the grip included it makes it easier to mod to no scope and burst fire. Then if you want muzzle breach or silencer you can get that with a perk.

kilongs

- My biggest complaint is the unlock system. It's atrocious. I'm 7 levels in, and I have 4 guns unlocked. The only thing that unlocks with pure leveling up is perks. Everything else takes squad points. You start out with three loadouts with 2 ARs and 1 SMG.

All guns, scorestreaks, lethals, tacticals, etc. takes points. A lot of points. And you get points at a snail's pace. They could quadruple the rate of unlocking and it still wouldn't be enough.

This really hurts experimentation, and honestly it makes the early game much less exciting. I'm stuck using the same guns and the same gear all the time. Even individual attachments take a lot of points. This is not something that will just be fixed by the time you reach the end level (55 or 80 or whatever). I really hope they change the system somehow. The pace of unlocking is glacial.

Agreed. The unlock system should be how the current Perks unlock:
-Guns/attachements/equipment/perks unlock for free at specific levels/ranks
-Spend squad points to unlock before the required level/rank

I would probably take that a bit further and make weapon attachements unlock via weapon challenges. (ie: unlock red dot sight by getting 25 kills while using iron sights, etc.). And again, squad points can be used to unlock them before meeting any requirements.

a916

The gas thing is kind of weak. Hope there's more terraforming maps. I like that kind of stuff.

Thanks. Looks like someone has to get a requirement for it to happen.

I hope at least half the maps have something crazy going on not just like two or three.

I'm not trolling, LoL!

One of the reasons why I was looking forward to mp for Ghosts was the dynamic maps. I really like maps that change during play like Sonic Racing Transformed. Keeps it varied.

Just asking which maps did what that's all.

Sorry, I apologize. I jumped to a conclusion and assumed you were doing something else. That's my bad.

Adding to that.. I wonder if they should've let you dive for a few seconds and shoot those that swim by... that would've added a different dynamic.

Chojin

Got a question, how much variety is there in the character customization.

I thought I'd be a blonde woman forever until I realizd you can customize :p

I ended up making an avatar of my wife. Its fun headshotting people with an asian woman :p There's a few outfits to mix and match, sadly no pink to troll others like I did in Halo. But you have to unlock the uniforms. I'd say its decent, at least in terms of COD or BF where you're stuck with the same 4 models by class.

kilongs

Got a question, how much variety is there in the character customization.

Off the top of my head:
-Helmet
-Body (Uniform)
-Camo

Aside from gender, each of those customizations have a long list of available options to choose from.

Edit: oh yeah, and like Chojin said, you have to unlock a lot of the available options in each category.

Kacar

Well if you were hoping for constantly changing maps you will be disappointed.

For the satelitte and explosion I'm pretty positive the requirement is a certain number of field orders being completed. Then that care package giving it.

The giant explosion has only happened once to me. The gas station explodes within in the first 30 secs. The satelite crash has happened a bunch but it literally does nothing but a white flash if your close to it. There's a tree you can make fall down in Prison Break for a shortcut which I have found very useful. Havent seen the gas on Sovereign yet.

But all in all the enviroments changing is very marginal in this game.

RedAssedApe

Banned
Unlocking definitely sucks right now. I have yet to unlock a sniper, shotgun, lmg, and so far only have 1 ar, 1smg, and 1 marksmen. Level 11. I wish the first gun unlocks for each category were just available immediately so you could just play around with them and figure out what works best.

And can someone tell me what the point of the canister bomb is? Based on the description I thought it was going to be like the gas grenade in BLOPS. But instead its like an explosive that you can BARELY through and takes a long time to release...

Chojin

- Overall, I'm having fun though. More impressions to come.

In my experience I found that instead of unlocking weapons and attatchments, its better to unlock squad mates and experiment from there. It's only 3 squad points to unlock another squad mate initially, at least its 3 for the first thre squad members, from there you can pick a class that has certain weaponis unlocked already. It seems you always have the first AR and SMG unlocked but you can start off with a new class with weapons. This allows you to experiment more. Its spreading it around a bit but its a lot easier to unlock a dude with 1 set of weapons than to spend 3 times the amount to unlock one weapon for your "main".

Since rank only unlocks perks it kind of evens it out on the overall scheme of things.

Oh and in the long run its better for the squad mode because you'll have a more diversified squad when other squads come battle your pokemons when you're offline.

Top Bottom