• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Call of Duty: Ghosts online multiplayer discussion thread

old

I'm enjoying it. They made many great design decisions. They put stopping power back into the guns, thus reducing the "bullet dance". Smart move. They also moved away from the 3-lane trope of map design. Maps are much more open and sight lines aplently.

Right now the two most overpowered things in the game are Stalker and Amplify. Can't play without them. The sound in this game is beautiful. I can pin-point the position of enemy footsteps with absolute ease. It's almost unfair to people not using headphones.

a916

I don't know what it is, but that's exactly what's going on. You'll wander for 30 seconds without seeing anybody, die, and then die again immediately when you spawn. Something is messed up there.

Are they worse than MW2? I remember there were times I got spawn killed and others where I would spawn in the middle of no where and just sit and wait for people to come by.

I know spawns are always f'd up for FFA because it has a hard time figuring out the safest place to put you but domination is usually really good because it spawns you by your base.

LeMaximilian

Alligator F*ck House
I don't think I have an issue with big maps in COD.

Afghan is my personal favorite map ever in any COD game, and I do like a majority of large maps.

Ghosts has a problem, where the maps are way to segregated, making the player feel like they're HUGE. Sure some are big, but here's an example...

A lot of Ghosts maps are similar in size to some from BO2. The issue is that there's so many paths/rooms/doors/entrances/exits and multiple floors to everything, that the player ends up running around looking for one of the 6 opposing players so often, making the maps FEEL gigantic.

There's a map in Ghosts, that has 4 vertical levels. I forgot the name, but it has a subway, a ground street floor, a 2nd floor and a 3rd busted up building floor. It's insane to try and find an enemy on the minimap, when he could be 3 floors below you.

Jeff-DSA

Are they worse than MW2? I remember there were times I got spawn killed and others where I would spawn in the middle of no where and just sit and wait for people to come by.

I know spawns are always f'd up for FFA because it has a hard time figuring out the safest place to put you but domination is usually really good because it spawns you by your base.

I've never seen the spawns so messed up in a Call of Duty game. It's not just FFA. It's every mode.

SmokeMaxX

What's the issue with spawning?

Someone people are complaining the maps are too big and it takes too long to find someone... and then others are complaining about spawning in front of enemies.

What's the percentage of each one happening vs the percentage of spawning 3 seconds from players.

I think I figured it out. Well, just a hypothesis anyway.

What I think the developers were thinking: The maps are fucking huge. How do you fix that? Spawn enemies close to the team that killed them.

Problem: I consistently can't find people in the maps (big or small). If I'm skirting the outside of the map and I'm running away from my team (because spawns are normally in SAFE zones AWAY from the enemy team), then I'll never find anyone. However, those that just run around like sheep or camp will easily see more people. At least 75% of my games, I'll look at the leaderboard and see someone with 20 kills and 10 deaths when I haven't even SEEN 20 people yet. I'm practically running the entire time too; it's ridiculous.

I've also seen several people spawn in my line of sight. One time I was standing in the bar in one of the maps and was about to go prone so I could let my dog out to go pee and some dude spawned right beside the bar. I felt bad, but I shot him in the back.

CoD Developers: We get that the maps are too big for the amount of people, but that doesn't mean bringing back revenge killing (whether intentionally or not). People expect a small amount of safety when they spawn. They don't expect to spawn in the room beside someone else then get shot in the back as they're running to the middle of the map.

Afghan is my personal favorite map ever in any COD game, and I do like a majority of large maps.

Ghosts has a problem, where the maps are way to segregated, making the player feel like they're HUGE. Sure some are big, but here's an example...

A lot of Ghosts maps are similar in size to some from BO2. The issue is that there's so many paths/rooms/doors/entrances/exits and multiple floors to everything, that the player ends up running around looking for one of the 6 opposing players so often, making the maps FEEL gigantic.

There's a map in Ghosts, that has 4 vertical levels. I forgot the name, but it has a subway, a ground street floor, a 2nd floor and a 3rd busted up building floor. It's insane to try and find an enemy on the minimap, when he could be 3 floors below you.
CoD 4 had large maps but I remember liking them. However, I hate Afghan and all the maps I've played in Ghosts so far.

Also, I would love a very small map such as CoD 4's Shipment or Nuketown.

mephixto

Banned

This.

There is another game coming to PS4 that have similar map design, Blacklight, but that game has HRV(wallhack) that makes the game more dynamic and you don't feel lost or running around trying to find someone.

Beepos

Spot on.

I'm always bothered by how little health people have.

COD4 was great. Blops wasn't so bad. But these IW games are frustrating when it always seems to boil down to first-see, first-kill.

Seems even worse in Ghosts.

I used to love playing games like SnD in COD4 because I always had a fair share of opportunities to fight back. Made gunplay/encounters more exciting. All I continue to see is run, kill, die in the blink of an eye, repeat.

The spawns are so bad. I'd rather run around for 2 minutes looking for someone than spawn in front of someone running at me with a combat knife drawn.

I don't really feel the time to kill is actually shorter. I just think that, across platforms, it appears on screen like you die in one bullet, but take four to kill. Not sure why it routinely looks that way.

Another problem with the maps is that you used to be able to use your teammates' blue arrows as an indication of where enemies were. After all, if you were surrounded by 4 teammates, it's likely you were safe. Not so in this game. With the multitude of pathways plus the multistory structures, you can appear surrounded by teammates, but they're far away from being able to cover you.

Had a lot of fun yesterday playing. Netcode is spot on, like mw2 good. My guess is that theatre mode had something to do with it. Also didn't have any host migration with a lot of people leaving so I guess dedicated servers are a go on ps3.

The maps are big but when people start to know them I think it will promote movement instead of just holding a sightline like in bo2 where you just know people have to pass.

My only problem with it right now is how fast you die, I've played with double health against bots and had way more fun, you could actually react against being shot and it made my battles way more fun. I hope they make a play list like hardcore but instead of half health double health, that would be good fun.

I have the honey badger.

I keep getting killed from behind and my guns are nowhere near as effective as the other people who kill me.

Giving it a few more days but may sell this. went from a 1.89 kd to a .98 in one night. Fuck that noise.

Victrix

*beard*
I'm stunned at how good the netcode is this time around

And by stunned I mean 'wow, it only took BO, MW3, and BO2 to get back to MW2 quality netcode'

People actually die when you shoot at them, it's amazing!

Host migration is also damn near instant the few times I've seen it pop.

Also enjoying the maps, it's awesome to have multiple routes to flank again. I've made SMGs and Shotguns work on 'big' maps just by moving smart, but I've also sat back and camped with a DMR or LMG successfully.

If it had totally over the top killstreaks this would feel a lot like MW2 overall.

The spawns simply have to be fixed before everything else. It's impossible to judge how playable some of the big maps are in a KC/Cranked game because there are currently no sides. In earlier games, the teams would mostly stick to one side and you would have a decent idea of where to go; in Ghosts, people constantly get scattered all over the map. Take 10 steps after spawning and you'll often get shot from three different directions - if you were lucky enough to not spawn directly in front of an enemy. It's horrible.

Squads continue to be fun and I'm finding some weapons that fit my hands - I quite like the ARX-160 and have been experimenting with the first marksman rifle. I can't drop anybody with it in a real multiplayer game, though... maybe I'll try it with a burst mod. The fact that XP is capped in a squad game is a bit annoying.

Daffy Duck

I thought it all along, that the theatre mode was screwing up the netcode.

First game they remove it, and it ha splayed fine for me on every game I've played so far.

How does it work? (I was actually surprised I got any XP whatsoever, even it if was not much)

Not sure on the details but it just seems to stop giving you XP once you hit 2000, at least in squad assault. You get some bonuses on top of that (match bonus?).

Jarmel

Banned
So like where the fuck are the dedicated servers?

IW should be publicly humiliated if they lied about this shit.

Angry Fork

I heard they took out search and destroy in this one? Is that true? If so are what non-respawn modes did they replace it with?

Hurley

According to Activision support, dedi servers are up on all platforms -

https://twitter.com/ATVIAssist/status/398370502173261825

I don't know how to post a image of the tweet, sorry.

But yeah, I've yet to get on a dedi server, every game I've been in a host has migrated. :/

I heard they took out search and destroy in this one? Is that true? If so are what non-respawn modes did they replace it with?

They replaced it with Search and Rescue.

Basically, same set up with on team trying to plant the other defuse but this time when you die you drop a tag, if an enemy picks it up you get taken out of the round and if a team mate grabs it you respawn.

CozMick

Banned
Why am I always the guy that gets into a server with the countdown starting at 52 seconds?

I sit there for 20 seconds waiting for people to join then the countdown suddenly switches to 15 seconds....

Am I host or is it a case of my upload speeds getting me into the "dedicated server" faster?

According to Activision support, dedi servers are up on all platforms -

https://twitter.com/ATVIAssist/status/398370502173261825

I don't know how to post a image of the tweet, sorry.

But yeah, I've yet to get on a dedi server, every game I've been in a host has migrated. :/

They replaced it with Search and Rescue.

Basically, same set up with on team trying to plant the other defuse but this time when you die you drop a tag, if an enemy picks it up you get taken out of the round and if a team mate grabs it you respawn.
I'm going to test this when I get home with a programme that pulls the ip to where it connects. I'll post my findings later (ps3 btw) I also tested this with blops2 like a month or 2 ago and it was al dedicated.

Why am I always the guy that gets into a server with the countdown starting at 52 seconds?

I sit there for 20 seconds waiting for people to join then the countdown suddenly switches to 15 seconds....

Am I host or is it a case of my upload speeds getting me into the "dedicated server" faster?
I have this also, that's why I'm going to test, I need to know.

Hurley

I'm going to test this when I get home with a programme that pulls the ip to where it connects. I'll post my findings later (ps3 btw) I also tested this with blops2 like a month or 2 ago and it was al dedicated.

I hope they do have them for PC, but idk, maybe being in Australia I'm just not getting connected to them for some reason, as I said every game has had a change of host mid game...and there aren't that many people online either so I would of thought I'd be getting into them

Do the guns and perks and whatnot I unlock in squads mode carry over to regular multiplayer mode? And at what point do I start getting xp or whatever from my bots offline? This mode is kinda confusing on how it works.

I'm really disappointed that they did away with Mercenary playlists. I only ever really get to play for an hour at a time, and most of my friends aren't online or don't have the game, so I go in solo. 90% of the time, I'm put into a game already in progress with my team losing sorely. Makes for a very shitty, frustrating experience, especially when I'm thrown into a match against a coordinated team. Ugh.

Rixxan

for the love of god, how do you "mute all" in lobbies?

for the love of the most powerful god, how do you mute people once you are in game?

cannot stand listening to most of these people

for the love of god, how do you "mute all" in lobbies?

for the love of the most powerful god, how do you mute people once you are in game?

cannot stand listening to most of these people
I haven't found a way to do it in the lobby itself but in game if you press start and then go to mute players you can mute all or mute all except friends.

Chojin

Do the guns and perks and whatnot I unlock in squads mode carry over to regular multiplayer mode? And at what point do I start getting xp or whatever from my bots offline? This mode is kinda confusing on how it works.

XP gained in Squads carries over to MP. When I got home from work yesterday I looked up my squad report in SquadHQ and saw that there was 5 out of 5 matches played against my squad. My squad won 3 out of those 5 matches and I had a few extra squad points waiting in my pool.

You get the xp as soon as you log into the server. Unlocked squad members get their own xp.

When you play squad assault on another squad, it caps at 1500 or 2000. I thought itw as 1500 last night but apparently there was a poster who said it theirs was capped at 2000.

Activision tweeted me to tell me that dedicated servers are already up. But I see host migration all the time.

Maybe the dedicated servers are rage quitting as well ;)

Enordash

I'm having this weird situation every game where I go 0-4 or 0-5 right off the bat before I claw my way back up to a >1.0 KD. Super strange. I've seen some pretty hardcore camping by some people in this game, but trying to run and gun is pretty difficult when every position seems to have an overwatch. I've been experimenting with full auto, burst, and single shot and they are all pretty effective. I haven't played COD4 in a while, but it seems like you go down at about the same speed. I always ran an M16 with stopping power and people usually went down in a single burst. A marksman rifle with burst is a rather similar experience.

In Blops2 and MW3, it always felt like successive bullets wouldn't connect which was really evident in the final kill cam. You'd be right on someone with an SMG and you'd get a hit marker on the first, fifth, and ninth bullets regardless of being on target the entire time. I'm not getting that so much here. Bullets connect and people go down in three.

Effect

Starting to like the size of the maps. The break from action has been good due to dying so fast. The spawn system is crap though. Me and two others were in an area only for a player from the other team to spawn right behind us.

Extinction is a lot more fun then I expected it to be. The possible lack of DLC on the Wii U version is going to hurt here. I think I'm enjoying it more then normal multiplayer.

Rizsparky

Anyone with the Wii U version, are the gamepad controls any good? I've been playing Zombie U and the controls are really 'light' even after messing with the sensitivity - I was just wondering if it was Zombie U that has weird controls or the gamepad itself.

Top Bottom