• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Call of Duty: Ghosts Review Thread | Celebrating 10 years of doody

Kade

The review events aren't working!

Initialize Operation Oprah. Give everyone in the press new Call of Duty branded Jeep Wranglers.

Ill do it, hope Shinobi is ok he usually updates his threads well:

Call of Duty: Ghosts - Reviews:

GameSpot - 8/10
Game Informer - 8/10
Eurogamer - 7/10
Multiplayer.it - 7/10
Edge - 7/10
VideoGamer - 7/10
GameTrailers - 7/10
Playstation Official Magazine UK - 8/10
Metro GameCentral - 8/10
NZGamer - 87/100
Joystiq - 7/10
The Escapist - 8/10
Telegraph - 8/10
Push Square - 6/10
God is a Geek - 100/100
NowGamer - 75/100
Lazygamer - 83/100
LaPS3 - 78/100
Destructoid - 5/10

EDIT: Thanks guys, added Destructoid!

Giant Bomb (Jeff Gerstman) has a review up and he scored it 3/5.

His main issues are that the new multiplayer stuff is not as good as the modes they took out and the campaign is not as good as BLOPS.

Marleyman

Banned
I like what I am hearing about the campaign and MP modes. I just don't think I am going to have enough time to play both COD and BF4; gotta pick one.

Into

His main issues are that the new multiplayer stuff is not as good as the modes they took out and the campaign is not as good as BLOPS.

Thanks i added it! Id have made the thread had i known shinobi would be M.I.A.

Curufinwe

He mentioned there were frame rate issues on PS3, 360 and PS4 unless I'm reading this wrong.

That said, the 360 and PlayStation 3 versions of Ghosts still look good on their own terms. The facial animations in the campaign are intact and the action is roughly identical across all platforms. If you don't mind some flat, occasionally ugly textures, some frame rate hitching, and a lower limit on bots (11 on current-gen versus 17 elsewhere) you could certainly get away with playing this on a current system.

And if the current-generation runs it better than expected, it also holds that the next-generation versions aren't really doing anything that will blow you away. It looks nice, but it's a sharper, better-lit and textured version of the game, nothing more. Additionally, the PlayStation 4 version has a handful of noticeable dips in its frame rate. This usually seemed to happen when a lot of smoke or other effects were on-screen, but occasionally it occurred in multiplayer for reasons I couldn't even guess at.

jond76

Banned
Hmmm. Those reviews are starting to decline. I'd love to see Battlefield be the military FPS juggernaut this gen.

Portugeezer

Gold Member
I've always wondered why people enjoy SnD -- it's essentially a camp fest and 1 life deathmatch. Not hating, just never got love for SnD and Hardcore mode.

I like that it's one of the more thoughtful game modes, it's not really a camp fest, but it's slower due to one life so you just can't go running around blindly like in other modes.

I never understood why people like TDM/non-onbective modes, so I don't play them.

Search and Rescue adds in the dog tag element which seems to be overdone in Ghosts, just give me 1 life SnD, no bullshit.

I know when I look for impressions on FPS's I often wonder what Jeff thinks...

Big_Al

Unconfirmed Member
What, they fucking removed SnD?! Fuck this bullshit game.

It's search and rescue now. Something to do with you can revive your teammates if you pick up their dogtags (I'm not sure if the other team can pick them up to stop this).

It's sort of the same but not exactly.

Portugeezer

Gold Member
What, they fucking removed SnD?! Fuck this bullshit game.

Yes and no.

The game supports SnD, but it's not in public playlists. Probably to promote SnR but fuck that shit, I bought this game for SnD it better be there at launch.

It's search and rescue now. Something to do with you can revive your teammates if you pick up their dogtags (I'm not sure if the other team can pick them up to stop this).

It's sort of the same but not exactly.

They are different modes.

Sethos

Banned
Yes and no.

The game supports SnD, but it's not in public playlists. Probably to promote SnR but fuck that shit, I bought this game for SnD it better be there at launch.

Well then for all intends and purposes they removed it. Pointless when it isn't part of a playlist. I can't believe a mode that has been stable since it was patched in under the Call of Duty 4 regime is now getting axed. Did you run out of space for an extra mode, you incompetent monkeys? Yes, you only have 83.000 respawn based modes, why not another! Better not have variety, that would violate all sorts of international treaties.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker

So in the real world this would be getting a 4-6/10?

Big_Al

Unconfirmed Member
Yes and no.

They are different modes.

Ah ok my mistake :)

Well then for all intends and purposes they removed it. Pointless when it isn't part of a playlist. I can't believe a mode that has been stable since it was patched in under the Call of Duty 4 regime is now getting axed. Did you run out of space for an extra mode, you incompetent monkeys?

Considering they removed Headquarters as well which I always liked they should have plenty of room!

E92 M3

I like that it's one of the more thoughtful game modes, it's not really a camp fest, but it's slower due to one life so you just can't go running around blindly like in other modes.

I never understood why people like TDM/non-onbective modes, so I don't play them.

My experience has led me to believe that people do tend to camp a lot and in general, I prefer the faster objective types like CTF or Demolition. I remember Demolition on Estate was amazing.

McLovin

Clicked on the GT review for the lols. I wanted to find a "grenade physics that will make you giggle" moment. But was shocked by what I saw. 7/10 I said god damn.

Dawg

Despite thinking a 5/10 is too low this time around, I do agree with this part of Sterling's text.

While Treyarch has steadily gotten better and braver with each new game, Ghosts sees Infinity Ward step into the role of pretender, of flagging inferior, one that doesn't seem to care much about improving its status, not when it could churn out any old guff at this point and come out on top of the sales charts.

Big_Al

Unconfirmed Member
Has anyone said whether bots can be played offline? Or only online in Squads mode?

Seems to be online only for everything (other than single player I assume).

Tried Squads, Multi and Extinction whilst in offline mode on Steam and you can't access anything without going online. Not even solo modes or private games. Not sure how it works on console.

I know when I look for impressions on FPS's I often wonder what Jeff thinks...

You forgot Jim Sterling!
Destructoid 5/10

Thank god he's leaving the industry.

Why so salty? Jim Sterling has only left Destructoid, he's not doing a Phil Fish lol. Jeff's on-point with shooters, and even the Syndicate love is warranted (if you get past the brand name) for such an underrated co-op shooter with just great feedback and cool mechanics.

Into

Boy, you are gonna be so disappointed.

fec.gif

I enjoyed your review Jim, especially the contrast with "Old dog, old tricks" vs. IGN's "Old dog, new tricks".

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Shinobi asked me to update the op. Though he might need to update it again with more when he returns.

Derrick01

Banned
I heard this game was getting "crushed" in reviews and I come in and see a ton of 7-10s.

I guess for a game with this much hype behind it that's probably the best anyone could have hoped for. Poor Arkham Origins.

Top Bottom