• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Call of Duty: Ghosts Review Thread | Celebrating 10 years of doody

Okay, so PS4 has some frame-rate dips. Every reviewer is saying that. So, if Xbone maintains the frame-rate...

Either way, digital foundry comparison of this game is going to be glorious.

Frame rate issues on PS4. That is just unforgivable on a cross-gen game. What the fuck are they doing at IW, twirling pencils between their fingers?

Betty

Banned
Sn4ke_911 said:
Then he should have let someone else do it instead.
I guess, but maybe he made the thread and something came up before he had the chance to finish it or hand it over to someone else.

iceatcs

Frame rate issues on PS4. That is just unforgivable on a cross-gen game. What the fuck are they doing at IW, twirling pencils between their fingers?

Only 150 people work in the studio. Crazy low for a title on 6 platforms. MS will never go for that, they only do 300+ people in the team per title on ONE platform.

Amused

Okay, so PS4 has some frame-rate dips. Every reviewer is saying that. So, if Xbone maintains the frame-rate...

Xbone would have superior version.

Maybe even more interesting, how will the gaming media react if this is the case? "Minor differences" or "Xbone version is clearly superior"'?

Only 150 people work in the studio. Crazy low for a title on 6 platforms. MS will never go for that, they only do 300+ people in the team per title on ONE platform.

Whilst this is true, it is still running on an old engine that is in dire need of an upgrade. I'm sure the optimisation of a Call of Duty game on what is essentially PC hardware can't be that difficult even for a small studio like IW. This isn't their first rodeo.

TheOddOne

Call of Duty games are usually worked on by multiple teams and outsourcing companies.

Treyarch worked on the Wii-U version too.

For Black Ops II the following companies worked on the game: FXVille, Nerve Software, Radical, Sledgehammer Games, Raven and Beachhead Studio.

SRTtoZ

Maybe even more interesting, how will the gaming media react if this is the case? "Minor differences" or "Xbone version is clearly superior"'?

Won't happen. There has been rumblings for a while that this game had framerate issues that Infinity Ward was trying to sort out before launch on both PS4 and XB1 versions. Also, if the PS4 version had framerate issues and the XB1 didnt, I think IW would have lowered the resolution on the PS4 version to get a stable framerate (900p/720p etc).

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
It's not clear if the ps4 is dropping frames or is load "hitching". Unfortunately I can't take the average review's word for it.

KORNdoggy

wasn't the rumours a while back saying both versions where having framerate issues? you'd hope at 720p the xbone could at the very least achieve a ROCK SOLID 60fps.

The only ones I buy these days are the treyarch games but we'll have to wait and see what they have planned for next year.

Personally I think they're more inventive and their talent could be put to better use outside of the CoD format.

iceatcs

Call of Duty games are usually worked on by multiple teams and outsourcing companies.

Treyarch worked on the Wii-U version too.

For Black Ops II the following companies worked on the game: FXVille, Nerve Software, Radical, Sledgehammer Games, Raven and Beachhead Studio.

Hmm, it could be why it is much lower than other COD. Way too much outsources but few people work on it. (150 people total)

BY2K

Membero Americo
So is this the lowest rated COD ever? Is the press getting tired of COD? (Never thought I'd say that.)

therapist

Yup, Treyarch's cod games are easily the worst in the entire franchise. IW get's my day one purchase every single time!

As a pc gamer its the complete opposite.

Mw2/3 were hack ridden non-fov changeable piles of shit.

The treyarch games had servers , and barely any cheats - and also things like FOV sliders. (And they were indeed balanced for lean)

I can POSSIBLY understand that point of view for a console gamer , but really MW3 was just a giant steaming pile altogether , there was nothing good about that game.

They should just release a cod4 free like quake live and people will love it.
They need to go back to basics like they said they would , minimal perks and killstreaks like mw1. Its gotten ridiculous the amount of bs killstreaks are in this game , its too easy.

Anyways this is the first one im gonna pass on ... i think ever.
After mw3 i will never buy an IW pc game again.
Therse already hacks on cod ghosts on pc sadly - likely the same ones still work.

Its sad how little IW gives a crap about the fanbase that got them on the map.

/rant

What a fucking joke to hear the PS4 version has framerate issues. Bunch of clowns at Infinity Ward can't get this game running smoothly on that hardware? Hardware that every developer goes out of their way to say how easy it is to work with. Sorry guys, you've got no excuses here. None.

E92 M3

Based on what I have seen from Orb on Twitch, the maps looks very ill-designed and way too big. Definitely not tight enough. I was actually in the mood to play some CoD, but looking on the maps, I'm very disappointed. Cod4 (every map was fun) and MW2 still have the best map.s

MW2 is the reason why I stopped playing COD. The campaign was laughable, the plot points were a joke, things happened, you had no idea why, they never touched on again, like the level where you had to save the VIP in the US. Really, I almost lost my eyes they rolled back so far and so many times during that campaign.

And the multiplayer? at any given time after 2 weeks it was online, in any match there were like 3 to 4 different air strikes going on, it was unbalanced, buggy, and a mess.

Can you point out to me the good things about MW 2? I seriously cannot see it.

It was fun, especially spec-ops.

Price was awesome.

MP wasn't perfect but the spawning hadn't quite shit the bed yet.

VariantX

As a pc gamer its the complete opposite.

Mw2/3 were hack ridden non-fov changeable piles of shit.

The treyarch games had servers , and barely any cheats - and also things like FOV sliders. (And they were indeed balanced for lean)

I can POSSIBLY understand that point of view for a console gamer , but really MW3 was just a giant steaming pile altogether , there was nothing good about that game.

They should just release a cod4 free like quake live and people will love it.
They need to go back to basics like they said they would , minimal perks and killstreaks like mw1. Its gotten ridiculous the amount of bs killstreaks are in this game , its too easy.

Anyways this is the first one im gonna pass on ... i think ever.
After mw3 i will never buy an IW pc game again.
Therse already hacks on cod ghosts on pc sadly - likely the same ones still work.

Its sad how little IW gives a crap about the fanbase that got them on the map.

/rant

The fanbase that loves all those killstreaks and bs is probably much, much, bigger than the fanbase that enjoyed the balance and maps in MW1. They love being able to get rewarded with free kills after getting more kills, which give them even more free kills, etc.

Randdalf

So is this the lowest rated COD ever? Is the press getting tired of COD? (Never thought I'd say that.)

Hopefully. Those games are the thing that epitomises all the wrongs in modern games. Incentive based multiplayer, short linear campaigns, terrible writing, shallow gameplay, ...

TriGen

Nice, Jeff's favorite controller to play the game on was the ps4 controller.

Yeah, that was the most shocking comment I've seen. Jeff liking the DS4 more than the 360 controller for a FPS, wow. Frame-rate issues is also up there in the shocking department. With these visuals? Oh boy.

I also have to say, I'm not really surprised by the reviews. Ghosts really seemed like it had the most negativity pre-launch -- and I'm not talking about on GAF. On a very consistent basis I listened to impressions from the press and most of the time they didn't seem that interested.

On famous mortimer's latest podcast he was saying that he heard Treyarch isn't making next years game, but another studio (sledgehammer?). So each team, IW, Treyarch, and this third team will have 3 years to make their version of the game.

Yeah, that was the most shocking comment I've seen. Jeff liking the DS4 more than the 360 controller for a FPS, wow. Frame-rate issues is also up there in the shocking department. With these visuals? Oh boy.

I also have to say, I'm not really surprised by the reviews. Ghosts really seemed like it had the most negativity pre-launch -- and I'm not talking about on GAF. On a very consistent basis I listened to impressions from the press and most of the time they didn't seem that interested.

I missed that. Where did he say it? Was there a live stream or something?

PS4 frame rate issue, yikes. I hope they either iron it out by toning down some graphical features or make it run @ 900p/720p instead to achieve smooth frame rate. This is IW/Activision we're talking about so I won't be holding my breath.

Sounds to me like a port gone bad for next gen systems

Yep. Xbone's stuck at 720p with smooth frame rate (I hope) and PS4's stuck at 1080p with crapshoot frame rate.

TriGen

I missed that. Where did he say it? Was there a live stream or something?

It's in the review. Just instead of writing it in the main part he posted it under the picture of the DS4. He just says that he played Ghosts with many controllers but preferred the DS4.

Here's the review. Scroll sown to the pic of the DS4.

Nymphae

Banned
WHAT THE FUCK DO ANY OF YOU WANT

lol.

I'm a little surprised at that Polygon review score, the press usually loves jerking off these games even though they are the same fucking thing every year, I've been waiting for them to open up their eyes for a while.

lol.

I'm a little surprised at that Polygon review score, the press usually loves jerking off these games even though they are the same fucking thing every year, I've been waiting for them to open up their eyes for a while.

They still do. It's got ~80% average overall. NeoGAF is just on a troll mode right now.

Bailers

i7ugHRgECOWFx.jpg
Haha, very well done.

PS4 frame rate issue, yikes. I hope they either iron it out by toning down some graphical features or make it run @ 900p/720p instead to achieve smooth frame rate. This is IW/Activision we're talking about so I won't be holding my breath.

Yep. Xbone's stuck at 720p with smooth frame rate (I hope) and PS4's stuck at 1080p with crapshoot frame rate.

To be clear, all the talk about framerate problems are saying it's the campaign, not multiplayer. They're not changing the resolution now.

Riky

$MSFT
Not really that concerned about the review scores, multiplayer will take a few weeks to truly evaluate and that's when we really find out if the game is any good. Single player has been an average affair since COD4 and that's not what the player base is really buying it for.

MThanded

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
At least the reviewers aren't drinking the koolaid this time.

It won't have much of an impact on sales though.

I used to love COD too. Haven't bought one in a few years though.

To be clear, all the talk about framerate problems are saying it's the campaign, not multiplayer. They're not changing the resolution now.

Nope. They specifically said PS4 was having frame rate issues in multiplayer as well. What the hell is the point of having 1080p in this case? Give me a choice so I can lower the resolution to achieve that silky smooth frame rate for multiplayer at least.

The maps being "too big" are the only thing giving me hope.

Everyone at work is buying this game (360)and I had no intention on it. Now due to my peers' influence I might be. Why must I be surrounded by bros?

I'm so codfused.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Nope. They specifically said PS4 was having frame rate issues in multiplayer as well. What the hell is the point of having 1080p in this case? Give me a choice so I can lower the resolution to achieve that silky smooth frame rate.
Giant bomba says that. Who else?

Top Bottom