• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Call of Duty: Modern Warfare III | Review Thread

Predict The Final Opencritic/MetaCritic Scores for MWIII

• 30-39%

Votes: 18 8.1%
  • 40-49%

Votes: 14 6.3%
  • 50-59%

Votes: 25 11.3%
  • 60-69%

Votes: 57 25.8%
  • 70-79%

Votes: 67 30.3%
  • 80-89%

Votes: 34 15.4%
  • 90-94%

Votes: 2 0.9%
  • 95-99%

Votes: 4 1.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

NickFire

More on the match making patent as it’s designed to influence MTX by pairing new players with players decked out in fancy gear to try to get the newer player to buy stuff and look like the higher level player.

Influencing Game-Related Purchases through Targeted Matchmaking

According to an aspect of the invention, microtransaction engine 128 may arrange matches to influence game-related purchases. Game-related purchases may include an acquisition by a player of an item in exchange for a fee, such as a real currency fee, a virtual currency fee, and/or other type of fee. The item may include an in-game item (e.g., a power-up, virtual weaponry, a virtual vehicle, an extra life, an extended life, etc.), a new level or map, and/or other item that may be used in relation to a game.

For example, microtransaction engine 128 may match a more expert/marquee or otherwise influential player (e.g., clan leader) with a junior player to encourage the junior player to make game-related purchases. A junior player may wish to emulate a marquee player by obtaining weapons or other items used by the marquee player. Other types of pairings and/or other groupings of players may be used as well.

Microtransaction engine 128 may analyze various items used by marquee players and, if at least one of the items is currently being offered for sale (with or without a promotion), match the marquee player with another player (e.g., a junior player) that does not use or own the item. Similarly, microtransaction engine 128 may identify items offered for sale, identify marquee players that use or possess those items, and match the marquee players with other players who do not use or possess those items. In this manner, microtransaction engine 128 may leverage the matchmaking abilities described herein to influence purchase decisions for game-related purchases.

In an implementation, microtransaction engine 128 may target particular players to make game-related purchases based on their interests. For example, microtransaction engine 128 may identify a junior player to match with a marquee player based on a player profile of the junior player. In a particular example, the junior player may wish to become an expert sniper in a game (e.g., as determined from the player profile). Microtransaction engine 128 may match the junior player with a player that is a highly skilled sniper in the game. In this manner, the junior player may be encouraged to make game-related purchases such as a rifle or other item used by the highly skilled sniper.
Let’s not get carried away here being haters. A couple cool skins to match up against new players is a steal of a deal. Don’t mind if I do. :messenger_grinning_smiling:

Last edited:

PSYGN

Just for the sake of discussion imagine there is no sbmm , these YouTubers and cod gods would drop nukes left right and centre all matches and would make life miserable for casual players.

Players that drop nukes left and right without reverse boosting are the top 1%. There's an element of luck involved also. Chances are that you wouldn't face them in a game session without sbmm, so they would not "make life miserable for casual players".

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Players that drop nukes left and right without reverse boosting are the top 1%. There's an element of luck involved also. Chances are that you wouldn't face them in a game session, so they would not "make life miserable for casual players".
In those old cod games with zero sbmm, I played those oldies a lot. Even in random lobbies the number of times someone on my team or other team dropped a nuke I could probably count on my fingers. I used to be really good at cod racking up campy kills and the number of times I got 25 straight kills was ultra rare.

To get a nuke drop requiring a giant kill streak and a guy equipping the kill streak too is such a low probability.

twilo99

Yeah this year they've really ramped up the stakes against KB+M players. All this in addition to higher TTK, faster run speeds and perks. Might help especially with precision guns.

I've recently been using WASP-9 and fast ADS tuning to compensate for aim. Not really ideal for all ranges but feels a lot better to use that most guns in short to mid fights.

This helps somewhat I think, you can give it try

my config file was in

Documents/call of duty/players/options.4.cod23.cst

you can open with wordpad

Gerdav

AR recommendations? My SVA545 is not doing any damage at all

No shame in admitting I have straight up copied these for the MCW and SVA 545, I know it’s a sub but also the AMR9, these builds have really worked for me.

Last edited:
New Info coming in....
516NaG7.jpg
UZcd9vo.jpg

twilo99

In what way?

Just relative to what they did with Warzone "2" last year.. this year's changes are almost as big as what they did with Warzone 2, but not much noise about it at all.. maybe not all that confident after the fiasco last time around

A few more things that might have gone overlooked in todays announcement. We are getting a few Holiday themed modes and maps. Besides the 3 new 6v6 maps we are getting these seasonal variations:

Vortex (New Mode):

In this free-for-all mode, one player spawns in with the infamous Zombies Wonder Weapon, the one-shot Ray Gun. Whoever eliminates the Operator with the Ray Gun becomes the new owner of this powerful and otherworldly pistol. Vortex takes place on three remixed Multiplayer maps: Satan’s Quarry, Sporeyard, and Tetanus.
hUglxKM.jpg

CODMAS: Santa’s Slayground:
Season's Eatings! Santa Gnaws is here to spread horror and fear. Complete Event Challenges to earn rewards and visit classic, holiday-themed maps, including Shipmas and Hangover! Just try not to get bitten. Expect more information on this Event and additional Limited Time Modes closer to Mid-Season.
3oyKl0e.jpg

There are some rumors from the dataminers that 'snowball fight' will be making a return as well.

And to close things up, here is the trailer for Season 1 that was released today for those who haven't seen it.

Really sucks. This is pretty much the only mode me and a couple friends played for most of this year. Oh well, time to move on I guess.
Same, this mode had so much potential and I really hope they bring it back someday even if they call it something else and rework it.

As for the current iteration, my best guess is they will keep the servers on for another year and sunset it completely when Treyarch's 2024 game comes out.

EDIT: Infinity Ward Just posted a Thank You to the DMZ Community:

65SxAPr.jpg

Last edited:

clarky

Gold Member
Just relative to what they did with Warzone "2" last year.. this year's changes are almost as big as what they did with Warzone 2, but not much noise about it at all.. maybe not all that confident after the fiasco last time around
Ah ok. Yeah entirely possible.

How to fuck up your new cash cow 101. I hope they learned their lesson.

Looking forward to Rebirth when it arrives. I could (and did) play that map all day

twilo99

Ah ok. Yeah entirely possible.

How to fuck up your new cash cow 101. I hope they learned their lesson.

Looking forward to Rebirth when it arrives. I could (and did) play that map all day

That map is very good indeed.. hopefully they bring it back. Have they said anything about it?

As far as lessons learned, I doubt it, but at least this time they listened to the "community" more.. at least at first glance, we will see how it plays.

According to this, it will be very fast, so once again.. casual players will likely suffer

twilo99

It's insane how much content they have access to when you think about all the CoD games, zombies, Warzone...

I would love a long term warzone map rotation.. we can have 2-3 months of each big map at this point

clarky

Gold Member
That map is very good indeed.. hopefully they bring it back. Have they said anything about it?

As far as lessons learned, I doubt it, but at least this time they listened to the "community" more.. at least at first glance, we will see how it plays.

According to this, it will be very fast, so once again.. casual players will likely suffer

Yeah its coming back alright, ill be holding down the prison roof all winter( or summer hopefully not thT long)

Fortunes keep is also making a return .

Whilst i dont care for regular warzone resurgence is definitely my jam. Fast paced, low sbmm, no need to worry about shitty spawns. Quick games, great pacing.

If they keep all 4 maps in rotation that would be insane.

Last edited:
Stuff for the upcoming season, looks like there's going to be a The Boys part 2, together with the rest of the DUNE event.
Also they disabled the Gaia skin until it can be made (even) more visible:

GAMuGPJa8AEOzHQ

twilo99

Lots of changes. I like that matches are going to be much shorter now.. 20 mins is just about right imo

Last edited:

calistan

Gold Member
Thought I'd play a quick match for the first time in a few days, and naturally it needs an update before I can start it...

Check my download queue (Xbox) and it's chugging down 173 GB!!! That's not an update, that's the entire game! They care as much about bandwidth as they do about SSD space.

twilo99

Crazy.. season 1 is kinda of a big update but it was “only” 17gb on PC

It must be redownloading the whole game on Xbox

calistan

Gold Member
Crazy.. season 1 is kinda of a big update but it was “only” 17gb on PC

It must be redownloading the whole game on Xbox
I'd removed a few bits like the campaign and some of MW2 to save space, so I wonder if it's grabbing all those again.

I'd have thought it would be cheaper for them to keep the file size as small as possible, especially if they managed it on PC. Maybe somebody flipped the wrong switch on the Xbox version.

twilo99

This is almost impossible to be honest, it’s always going to be an issues if they have to cater to both sides

I'd removed a few bits like the campaign and some of MW2 to save space, so I wonder if it's grabbing all those again.

I'd have thought it would be cheaper for them to keep the file size as small as possible, especially if they managed it on PC. Maybe somebody
flipped the wrong switch on the Xbox version.

There always seems to be a difference between the different platforms, so maybe different systems have different requirements.. it sucks, that’s a lot of data, and you are right, it would be more efficient to not have to do that from their end.

calistan

Gold Member
Well it downloaded in less than 30 mins but now I've got this. WTF?!?

Too late to sort it out tonight, I'll have to look at it tomorrow. This sounds like I'll be completely reset if I click yes.

RhoMNah.jpg

edit: This is what I get when I back out of that screen:

TZik8zq.jpg

Last edited:

calistan

Gold Member

Too late to sort it out tonight, I'll have to look at it tomorrow. This sounds like I'll be completely reset if I click yes.

RhoMNah.jpg

TZik8zq.jpg
Quit to desktop? It's an Xbox.

yeah my xbox shit the bed and was just stuck on "updating" for a long time, couldn't even launch any other games; then it popped up as a 38gb update, and then it said lol nope how about this 214gb update, which is essentially downloading everything all over again.

Sounds like something in the update can make the xbox stall out (space allocation?), and then it cancels the update, which is the same as uninstalling.

hinch7

RhoMNah.jpg

TZik8zq.jpg
Devs have responded. It doesn't reset your ranks when you reset. It does however reset any loadouts, which is annoying.

havoc00

yeah my xbox shit the bed and was just stuck on "updating" for a long time, couldn't even launch any other games; then it popped up as a 38gb update, and then it said lol nope how about this 214gb update, which is essentially downloading everything all over again.

Sounds like something in the update can make the xbox stall out (space allocation?), and then it cancels the update, which is the same as uninstalling.
Yea towards the end of mw2 life it did the same thing with updates usually power cycling would work its annoying af. Today powercycling didnt work had to uninstall and re install

calistan

Gold Member
Some pretty "good" players out there, highest killstreak of over 2k?

C6nOwr6.jpg

I often wonder why the devs of this and many other games don't just go through the leaderboards and erase/ban the ones that are blatantly cheating. It has been this way ever since we've had online leaderboards, and it's so easy to find.

Even Flight Simulator has leaderboards full of cheats (which it insists on showing you before you can view your own best score).

Grildon Tundy

Gold Member
I often wonder why the devs of this and many other games don't just go through the leaderboards and erase/ban the ones that are blatantly cheating. It has been this way ever since we've had online leaderboards, and it's so easy to find.

Even Flight Simulator has leaderboards full of cheats (which it insists on showing you before you can view your own best score).
Have an intern review a randomly-selected game from one of those cheaters. Should take all of 5 minutes to confirm in the case the devs don't automate the task somehow.

Calverz

Is the ranking system broken or not displaying? Keep getting matched with level 55 ranks? Guessing its just not displaying?

Top Bottom