• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Call of Duty: Modern Warfare III | Review Thread

Predict The Final Opencritic/MetaCritic Scores for MWIII

• 30-39%

Votes: 18 8.1%
  • 40-49%

Votes: 14 6.3%
  • 50-59%

Votes: 25 11.3%
  • 60-69%

Votes: 57 25.8%
  • 70-79%

Votes: 67 30.3%
  • 80-89%

Votes: 34 15.4%
  • 90-94%

Votes: 2 0.9%
  • 95-99%

Votes: 4 1.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

NickFire

Just a bit surprising with Spider Man 2 being fresh and MWIII being the worst CoD ever and all
I’ve got no issues with the low reviews. They got greedy as hell and sold this as a stand alone game instead of as an expansion. Standing on its own with crappy single player and no real advancements it deserves the scores it got.

But the success is not a shock either. Not even a little. If you don’t look at this as a stand-alone game it’s a great expansion to one of the best CODs. Just a little pricey.

Mr Moose

Is the ranking system broken or not displaying? Keep getting matched with level 55 ranks? Guessing its just not displaying?
Game is buggy as fuck especially since the update. It showed others as 55 for me, even my friend, who is higher.
Just a bit surprising with Spider Man 2 being fresh and MWIII being the worst CoD ever and all
Even shit ones like Vanguard sell a lot. Spider-Man 2 released in October.

Last edited:
I'm not sure what happened, but I got hit with an update on xbox that completely changed the file management; the individual packs are no longer selectable, it just one giant file now. This means it redownloaded everything, even stuff I had already disabled like the campaigns and cod HQ is now 293GB lol.
I tried uninstalling via manage files in cod hq itself, but it does nothing....wth is going on

Killjoy-NL

Game is buggy as fuck especially since the update. It showed others as 55 for me, even my friend, who is higher.
Isn't your level seperate from skill-level?

To get a higher level, all you need to do is just play a lot..

Sounds similar to COD-players who thought their Prestige-level was somehow indicative of their skills.

Last edited:

splattered

Why are people so against shotguns in this game? I played a bunch of matches yesterday with different loadouts... challenge of the day was both one hit kills and shotguns so i combined challenges and ran shotguns for a while. Absolutely shredded people and it was amazing haha i had people audibly yelling at me and talking trash every time they'd try to slide around a corner and end up with a slug in their face haha I always have fun with shotguns in COD and dont mind when people use em i dunno.

NickFire

Why are people so against shotguns in this game? I played a bunch of matches yesterday with different loadouts... challenge of the day was both one hit kills and shotguns so i combined challenges and ran shotguns for a while. Absolutely shredded people and it was amazing haha i had people audibly yelling at me and talking trash every time they'd try to slide around a corner and end up with a slug in their face haha I always have fun with shotguns in COD and dont mind when people use em i dunno.
The slide everywhere people, and the run around with just a 4 inch knife people have no right to complaint about shotguns. Especially when they'd be first in line to run nothing but shotties if bunny hopping was more effective.

Mr Moose

Isn't your level seperate from skill-level?

To get a higher level, all you need to do is just play a lot..

Sounds similar to COD-players who thought their Prestige-level was somehow indicative of their skills.
My friend is lvl 99, it was showing her and others as 55, its weird, sometimes it shows correctly and other times it just shows 55.
0 kills in War mode, not sure how they haven't fixed that yet :messenger_weary:
After match report/weapon XP screen is broken, it acts as if I skip it all.

Valt7786

They'll be the same people who think "quickscoping" is legit and takes skill, when using a shotgun attains the same result, its mind boggling what the zoomer cod players get mad at.

twilo99

Shotguns are actually the only thing that can compete against aim assist in close range fights because it’s technically “hip” fire no need for ADS and that where m/k might actually have an advantage.. so I love using them, but unfortunately non of them are all that good currently

Last edited:

Calverz

My friend is lvl 99, it was showing her and others as 55, its weird, sometimes it shows correctly and other times it just shows 55.
0 kills in War mode, not sure how they haven't fixed that yet :messenger_weary:
After match report/weapon XP screen is broken, it acts as if I skip it all.
My worry is War mode is going to be abandoned. The gamma is fucked on it. Scoreboard fucked and the level is super easy to glitch out of and reach places you shouldn’t. War mode was legit great in ww2.

I'm not sure what happened, but I got hit with an update on xbox that completely changed the file management; the individual packs are no longer selectable, it just one giant file now. This means it redownloaded everything, even stuff I had already disabled like the campaigns and cod HQ is now 293GB lol.
I tried uninstalling via manage files in cod hq itself, but it does nothing....wth is going on
nobody else on xbox with this?

calistan

Gold Member
nobody else on xbox with this?
I noticed the last update was enormous (170 GB+) and then there was another 4 GB patch the next day.

I can still deselect the individual components via the in-game Manage Files setting though. I currently have just MW3 multiplayer and Warzone 2 installed, and it's 192.8 GB. According to the list of packs, if I added MW3 campaign, all of MW2 plus DMZ, that would be another 112 GB.

In the Xbox file manager, it's slightly different. Still listed separately, CoD base game is 115 GB, MW3 mutiplayer is 19 GB, MW3 Warzone is 9.7 GB. So there's a phantom 50 GB being swallowed up by something. I have texture streaming turned on, but the game menu says that only uses 3 GB.

In the Xbox file manager, it's slightly different. Still listed separately, CoD base game is 115 GB, MW3 mutiplayer is 19 GB, MW3 Warzone is 9.7 GB. So there's a phantom 50 GB being swallowed up by something. I have texture streaming turned on, but the game menu says that only uses 3 GB.
Check the "reserved space" in the game manager under saved data, it should be around 50 gb yeah.
but the fact that you can still select individual components sounds like something is borked with my install or something

Edit:

This is what it looks like for me now:
fX6RmUu.jpg

Last edited:

calistan

Gold Member
Check the "reserved space" in the game manager under saved data, it should be around 50 gb yeah.
but the fact that you can still select individual components sounds like something is borked with my install or something

Edit:

This is what it looks like for me now:
fX6RmUu.jpg
You're right, reserved space accounts for the missing 50 GB.

It's weird that you're getting one giant file like that. Here's what mine looks like, same version. The add-ons list is off the bottom of the screen, after all the main components.

ntzUmyg.jpg

The in-game file manager shows this:

YVS5SVZ.jpg

It's weird that you're getting one giant file like that. Here's what mine looks like, same version. The add-ons list is off the bottom of the screen, after all the main components.
Yeah mine used to be like that, but this recent update redownloaded everything and made it 1 big file, this also make it impossible to delete anything in cod hq...

My worry is War mode is going to be abandoned. The gamma is fucked on it. Scoreboard fucked and the level is super easy to glitch out of and reach places you shouldn’t. War mode was legit great in ww2.
That was one of the reasons I refunded it. Only one map for that mode and whilst they say they are looking at more, I'm not confident it will get the support it deserves.

Calverz

That was one of the reasons I refunded it. Only one map for that mode and whilst they say they are looking at more, I'm not confident it will get the support it deserves.
Yea. It’s not enough for me to refund but I was pretty excited to read they were doing it again after abandoning it for vanguard. I think season 1 reloaded will lay the marker for war mode. If no new map, or fixes, it’s dead Jim. Annoying.

Last edited:

FeastYoEyes

Got this one to play with a friend and I am rather shocked at the drop in quality from 2019 to 2022 to this. Playing on these old maps is neat though.

David B

An Idiot
I bought MW3 on PS5 $20 off. So I paid $80 for the Vault edition. I like the suits you get. The red and black is my favorite suit with the 4 red laser eye parts on it. I would say the game is pretty good, I haven't seen any cheaters really at all. The game is good, but it's pretty much the same as MW2 is the whole feel of the game. I like the new maps as well, even though most of them are just MW2 remake maps. I give the game a 3 out of 5. Why 3 out of 5? The guys gals to buy is pretty good and I like it, the maps are very good that they brought back some favorites, but that's about it, the game play is exactly the same as MW2 was and most of the guns are locked and have to be bought to use which absolutely sucks.

Mephisto40

Just to let people know, some free trial playlists have just gone live on the PlayStation version, do im guessing the multiplayer is free to play this weekend

jorgejjvr

Hey all, I want the aftermarket part for the Rival9. It says I have to do the challenges from week 1? Which/where are those? Can I still go back and complete them to get this?

Thanks

Last edited:

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
Hey all, I want the aftermarket part for the Rival9. It says I have to do the challenges from week 1? Which/where are those? Can I still go back and complete them to get this?

Thanks
I don't know if you can go back to do earlier but if you hit the settings button and on the first tab there are challenges you can look there

RNG

I'm having more fun playing the trial than I did with the beta but this game crashes so much while navigating through the menus.

Calverz

I'm having more fun playing the trial than I did with the beta but this game crashes so much while navigating through the menus.
Are you playing using steam by any chance? It launched fine but since last update I’m getting crashes every play session now. Usually navigating menus when waiting for match.

RNG

Are you playing using steam by any chance? It launched fine but since last update I’m getting crashes every play session now. Usually navigating menus when waiting for match.
Yeah Steam, it usually happens right after a match and I try to navigate through the menus right away. Maybe it's still syncing with the servers that causes it.

Calverz

Yeah Steam, it usually happens right after a match and I try to navigate through the menus right away. Maybe it's still syncing with the servers that causes it.
Ok good to know it’s not just me. MWII was like this not long after launch. I haven’t checked steam discussions but imagine devs are aware. Hopefully it gets fixed soon

Reactions: RNG

calistan

Gold Member
What's with people playing objective modes as if they were team deathmatch? The Christmas modes on Shipment really bring out the stat-padders.

Had a kill confirmed game where the top player on my team got 93 kills and only 5 confirms - needless to say we lost that one pretty comfortably.

There was also a hardcore hardpoint game where somebody got over 140 kills but spent less than 10 seconds in the objective. We won that because I spent about 2 minutes in the objective, but getting killed in that mode is barely a nuisance - you lose about half a second, and the map is so tiny that you often respawn closer to the hardpoint.

The guy in the second match got an absolutely vast score at the end despite not really contributing. Scoring is heavily weighted towards kills, and I think SBMM must be too. My 0.4 K/D in hardpoint gives me a succession of easy wins, whereas the people racking up hundreds of kills are most likely the ones who complain about getting thrown to the sharks next time.

Calverz

Finished the xmas events. After a few hours. I do like the new shipment aesthetic. I assumed they would just throw on the Christmas bells and lights like last year but this one with the ice looks cool. I would have preferred, if they made some slight tweaks to the level geometry but it’s fine. I’m finding the purchasable skins for sledgehammer this year have been a big miss so far. They all just look so stupid. Like the motorbike dude (really?) or the one with the installers face mask and halo ring above the head. Or the woman with like two asterix style wings coming from her helmet. Like wtf is this shit? They need to tone it down slightly. Mw2 had some ridiculous ones too, but the most ridiculous ones didn’t have animated camos on 90% of the body etc.

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
Finished the xmas events. After a few hours. I do like the new shipment aesthetic. I assumed they would just throw on the Christmas bells and lights like last year but this one with the ice looks cool. I would have preferred, if they made some slight tweaks to the level geometry but it’s fine. I’m finding the purchasable skins for sledgehammer this year have been a big miss so far. They all just look so stupid. Like the motorbike dude (really?) or the one with the installers face mask and halo ring above the head. Or the woman with like two asterix style wings coming from her helmet. Like wtf is this shit? They need to tone it down slightly. Mw2 had some ridiculous ones too, but the most ridiculous ones didn’t have animated camos on 90% of the body etc.
They seem to be running out of ideas of what at least I would consider a cool operator skin

Side note Prime Gaming bundle available

Calverz

They seem to be running out of ideas of what at least I would consider a cool operator skin

Side note Prime Gaming bundle available

Yea I agree. I personally would like to see more crossover ip going on. Like why not have the doom slayer, master chief etc. a bit like the way Fortnite does it. Pandora’s box has been full opened now anyway. Nobody seriously thinks cod is a mil sim anymore surely.

Il def need to acquire that bundle then.

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
The Christmas event thing isn't showing for me :messenger_crying:
Thats odd its been on for a couple of days now, only thing worth getting imo is the new execution that only takes 5 crouched kills

Yea I agree. I personally would like to see more crossover ip going on. Like why not have the doom slayer, master chief etc. a bit like the way Fortnite does it. Pandora’s box has been full opened now anyway. Nobody seriously thinks cod is a mil sim anymore surely.

Il def need to acquire that bundle then.
Yeah I grabbed that bundle and actually like that skin

I see people saying that was actually a paid bundle earlier

Calverz

Thats odd its been on for a couple of days now, only thing worth getting imo is the new execution that only takes 5 crouched kills

Yeah I grabbed that bundle and actually like that skin

I see people saying that was actually a paid bundle earlier

Yea it was a while back. I think it was the first of the hip hop themed bundles that would release over the course of mw2. The rabbit ones are quite cool/funny too.

Top Bottom