• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Call of Duty: Modern Warfare III | Review Thread

Predict The Final Opencritic/MetaCritic Scores for MWIII

• 30-39%

Votes: 18 8.1%
  • 40-49%

Votes: 14 6.3%
  • 50-59%

Votes: 25 11.3%
  • 60-69%

Votes: 57 25.8%
  • 70-79%

Votes: 67 30.3%
  • 80-89%

Votes: 34 15.4%
  • 90-94%

Votes: 2 0.9%
  • 95-99%

Votes: 4 1.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Mr Moose

Thats odd its been on for a couple of days now, only thing worth getting imo is the new execution that only takes 5 crouched kills
:messenger_crying:

Not sure if I can be bothered doing it all anyway, not really a LMG fan.

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member

twilo99

So at 140hrs I think I finally got used to the reticle sway but I still miss headshots that would otherwise hit and it's especially bad during strafing.

Overall, this is a great game, could be better of course, but it can easily keep me entertained for hours.

Yes the LMG isn’t amazing. The camo is boring too tbh lol

This thing works very well in Warzone

Calverz

Gold Member

So at 140hrs I think I finally got used to the reticle sway but I still miss headshots that would otherwise hit and it's especially bad during strafing.

Overall, this is a great game, could be better of course, but it can easily keep me entertained for hours.

Yea that’s the meta in warzone I believe. The lmg as part of the xmas event is the DG-58LSW or whatever it’s called.

Calverz

Gold Member
Oh, right, missed that.

Have LMGs ever been viable in multiplayer? They are just so heavy..
Really depends on the map and playstyle tbh. It’s definitely more suited for a slower and measured paced player imo. There is ways to “speed” them up but then recoil usually goes to pot. In my experience anyway.

twilo99

Really depends on the map and playstyle tbh. It’s definitely more suited for a slower and measured paced player imo. There is ways to “speed” them up but then recoil usually goes to pot. In my experience anyway.

I feel like MWIII plays rather fast tho and most of the maps are just small.. but I haven't really tried one in multiplayer so I'll give it a go tonight

Calverz

Gold Member
I feel like MWIII plays rather fast tho and most of the maps are just small.. but I haven't really tried one in multiplayer so I'll give it a go tonight
Yes that’s true. It is fast with the movement changes from mw2. Ultimately it depends on how good you are as a player. Reaction speed, aiming accuracy and decision making. Some can definitely be made viable. The large ammunition options is good and makes up for the slow reloads.

clarky

Gold Member
You liking Ashika? I see they have them rotating now which is nice
Yeah I prefer Ashika to Vondel tbh. Vondel seems a bit random towards the end of a match due to the tight spaces, Ashika plays abit more like Rebirth island. I like them both though.

twilo99

I'm convinced that there isn't a single dev on that team that actually plays the game on mouse and keyboard.. let me show you why

Most iron sights in this game are basically useless for m/k since you can't see the actually target:

This is aimed at the head with iron sights:

Screenshot-2023-12-21-220036.png

You literary can't see your target, and since there is no aim assist to help..

An optic fixes this, for the most part, it's still in the way, but at least I can see what I am aiming at:

Screenshot-2023-12-21-215947.png

But that means that instead of using tha attachment slot for something else, I always have to reserve it for an optic.

I would pay them money to give me the option to remove the whole gun model from the screen. Just give me a crosshair, I don't need to see the silly gun model, I already know which gun I'm using.

Look how clean Quake looks and there you have the option to carry 8 weapons at the same time not just 2 .. it was never a problem since you can have a seperate bind for each one

shot0003.jpg

Counter Strike is mostly "hip fire" and the gun models are out of the way so it doesn't matter that they are on screen all the time

Last edited:

clarky

Gold Member
I'm convinced that there isn't a single dev on that team that actually plays the game on mouse and keyboard.. let me show you why

Most iron sights in this game are basically useless for m/k since you can't see the actually target:

This is aimed at the head with iron sights:

Screenshot-2023-12-21-220036.png

You literary can't see your target, and since there is no aim assist to help..

An optic fixes this, for the most part, it's still in the way, but at least I can see what I am aiming at:

Screenshot-2023-12-21-215947.png

But that means that instead of using tha attachment slot for something else, I always have to reserve it for an optic.

I would pay them money to give me the option to remove the whole gun model from the screen. Just give me a crosshair, I don't need to see the silly gun model, I already know which gun I'm using.

Look how clean Quake looks and there you have the option to carry 8 weapons at the same time not just 2 .. it was never a problem since you can have a seperate bind for each one

shot0003.jpg

Counter Strike is mostly "hip fire" and the gun models are out of the way so it doesn't matter that they are on screen all the time
Looking at your images there though surely thats the same view for pad players as well?

TBH, I couldn't imagine playing COD on M+K. Thats why crossplay is a god send for me. On PC the game was irrelevant and unplayable until they introduced it. In my experience pad players mostly get match together regardless of platform.

(I can't play M+K for health reasons for FWIW).

Edit just checked, same shit no matter the input method.
HObZ4cO.jpg

Last edited:

twilo99

Looking at your images there though surely thats the same view for pad players as well?

TBH, I couldn't imagine playing COD on M+K. Thats why crossplay is a god send for me. On PC the game was irrelevant and unplayable until they introduced it. In my experience pad players mostly get match together regardless of platform.

(I can't play M+K for health reasons for FWIW).

Edit just checked, same shit no matter the input method.

Yeah it's the same on both inputs, its just that on m/k if you can't see your target you can't really compete. Its sucks for controller too of course, just less so because you can still track..

I'm not sure how the crossplay works, but my lobbies usually look something like this

so its a good mix

Last edited:

calistan

Gold Member
Yeah it's the same on both inputs, its just that on m/k if you can't see your target you can't really compete. Its sucks for controller too of course, just less so because you can still track..
Does changing the field of view help any? Wider camera angle, smaller gun model, maybe.

twilo99

This guy must’ve read my post here lol

He is an absolute monster tho.

Another problem evident in the comments there is that people think that you get to do this just by being on m/k when in reality this requires an enormous amount of skill and practice.. I’d say he is 1% of the the top 1%

Does changing the field of view help any? Wider camera angle, smaller gun model, maybe.

I don’t think it does but I’ll try today to see if it makes a difference. I play at 115 so I don’t really have much room on the upside anyway since they lock it at 120

Was using that exact same loadout in resurgence and was doing okay. Good for taking out multiple guys at a distance but closer encounters I was getting smoked. I switched back to the BAS-B. Thing still slams even after the nerf.

Last edited:
What's with people playing objective modes as if they were team deathmatch? The Christmas modes on Shipment really bring out the stat-padders.

Had a kill confirmed game where the top player on my team got 93 kills and only 5 confirms - needless to say we lost that one pretty comfortably.

There was also a hardcore hardpoint game where somebody got over 140 kills but spent less than 10 seconds in the objective. We won that because I spent about 2 minutes in the objective, but getting killed in that mode is barely a nuisance - you lose about half a second, and the map is so tiny that you often respawn closer to the hardpoint.

The guy in the second match got an absolutely vast score at the end despite not really contributing. Scoring is heavily weighted towards kills, and I think SBMM must be too. My 0.4 K/D in hardpoint gives me a succession of easy wins, whereas the people racking up hundreds of kills are most likely the ones who complain about getting thrown to the sharks next time.
It’s Call of Duty lol

The vast majority of players don’t play the objective unless you go into something like SnD.

Another problem evident in the comments there is that people think that you get to do this just by being on m/k when in reality this requires an enormous amount of skill and practice.. I’d say he is 1% of the the top 1%

I don’t think it does but I’ll try today to see if it makes a difference. I play at 115 so I don’t really have much room on the upside anyway since they lock it at 120

Damn he tracks insanely well on mnk and almost no recoil. I wonder what dpi/in-game sensitivity settings he uses. And what mouse.

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member

His snap locking onto targets are either amazing or questionable like at the 57 second mark he snap locks onto someone behind a crate without being able to see him and no UAV

Mr Moose

@ 25 seconds that looks like an aim bot.

twilo99

I don't think aim bot.. he is actually missing a lot of those initial snaps and then he makes a micro adjustment, akin to Counter Strike actually, and I think he just got lucky on a few there but it looks good. I can do a snap like that every once in a while, but not 2-3 in a row like what he is doing.

Being able to move from one target to the next quickly is probably the biggest advantage you have on m/k , it just requires solid control and precision.

Last edited:

twilo99

Damn he tracks insanely well on mnk and almost no recoil. I wonder what dpi/in-game sensitivity settings he uses. And what mouse.

He is at 46 cm/360

I'd say pretty avarage sens, I was expecting much faster, he must have a big mousepad lol but if he is coming from Counter Strike it makes sense.

I'm at 38cm/360

If you want to learn from someone I would recommend this guy here but unfortunately he only plays Warzone.. the boy is very talented tho

Last edited:
He is at 46 cm/360

I'd say pretty avarage sens, I was expecting much faster, he must have a big mousepad lol but if he is coming from Counter Strike it makes sense.

I'm at 38cm/360

If you want to learn from someone I would recommend this guy here but unfortunately he only plays Warzone.. the boy is very talented tho

Wait what is cm? I use 400 dpi on my mouse and 5.45 in-game sensitivity on Warzone. Not sure what cm means.

Last edited:

twilo99

Wait what is cm? I use 400 dpi on my mouse and 5.45 in-game sensitivity on Warzone. Not sure what cm means.

Its kind of an "old school" way of doing it but it's the best way to transfer sense from one game to another

How do you compare mouse sensitivities between different games?​

To compare mouse sensitivities between games, you need to find your cm/360 value. For that, follow these steps:
  1. Hop into any game you like.
  2. Make your character aim at a point on the screen. This will serve as a visual reference.
  3. Move your mouse without lifting it until you make a 360° turn in-game.
  4. Pick up a ruler and measure the distance traveled by your mouse on your desktop.
  5. This number is your cm/360 value. Repeat for any games, and compare. The cm/360 value is a real-world representation of your mouse sensitivity.

So for that guy it takes him 46 centimeters (you can obviously do it in inches if you want) to complete a full 360 rotation on screen, you can try it yourself and see where you are.

Here is a video,

Last edited:

bajouras

I don’t own the game but I was told by a friend of mine that mw2 weapons were weaker than the new mw3 weapons due to some increase in hp or something. Can anyone confirm this? If so, how many new weapons are there as opposed to mw2 ones?

Mr Moose

I don’t own the game but I was told by a friend of mine that mw2 weapons were weaker than the new mw3 weapons due to some increase in hp or something. Can anyone confirm this? If so, how many new weapons are there as opposed to mw2 ones?
I think MWII has 100HP, with MWIII having 150? Or something like that. Don't trust the firing range dummies in MWIII.

Calverz

Gold Member
Mw3 has 150hp compared to mw2 100hp. Mw2 weapons have been balanced to accommodate this but generally mw3 weapons are better. The reason? Warzone. Activision will do whatever they can to encourage purchase of the latest cod. It has been this way for years.

nemiroff

Gold Member

I don't think there's much difference between the top m/k players and top controller players. Which is why I think these expert players whining about either side of things and pretending it's the same for everyone are utterly pathetic. You won't be op like in that video at either control without the brain for it and or thousands of hours.

I for one as a casual controller player on PC usually end up in the bottom of every majority k/m lobby (I'm on 4 sensitivity and have no chance against the immediate aim and generous space for countering recoil that k/m players have), but on the flip side I'm usually always ending up in the top quarter (or at no 1) in pure controller lobbies (well, in lobbies not ridden with Cronuses that is..).

We're not all living in the same universe here.. This will never be perfectly balanced. Which is why I mostly support the developers when they're catering for the majority of casual "normal" players.

I still don't like the extreme sbmm though. It's fucking sweaty and frustrating, too much of the time. I wish there was at least a little bit of variation. (which reminds me, I recently started playing with a friend that has a slightly lower sbmm level, and by this I ended up in more varied lobbies, and it was genuinely fun, not because I smoked everyone but because the variations in player style and skill made for a more dynamic experience).

Last edited:

twilo99

I don't think there's much difference between the top m/k players and top controller players. Which is why I think these expert players whining about either side of things and pretending it's the same for everyone are utterly pathetic. You won't be op like in that video at either control without the brain for it and or thousands of hours.

I for one as a casual controller player on PC usually end up in the bottom of every majority k/m lobby (I'm on 4 sensitivity and have no chance against the immediate aim and generous space for countering recoil that k/m players have), but on the flip side I'm usually always ending up in the top quarter (or at no 1) in pure controller lobbies (well, in lobbies not ridden with Cronuses that is..).

We're not all living in the same universe here.. This will never be perfectly balanced. Which is why I mostly support the developers when they're catering for the majority of casual "normal" players.

I still don't like the extreme sbmm though. It's fucking sweaty and frustrating, too much of the time. I wish there was at least a little bit of variation. (which reminds me, I recently started playing with a friend that has a slightly lower sbmm level, and by this I ended up in more varied lobbies, and it was genuinely fun, not because I smoked everyone but because the variations in player style and skill made for a more dynamic experience).

I personally don't have anything against aim assist, I think it's necessary so we can all play together, and that outweighs all else, but what I don't like is that the devs are making even harder to play on m/k with some of their design choices, despite which I still enjoy the game, but it can be much better.

Aim assist is essential in "leveling" the playing field since first person shooters are simply not designed to be played with controllers, easily proven by the fact that any FPS game that does not offer aim assist has essentially no controller players.. Counter Strike and Quake are good examples, but you will always find m/k players in any FPS game, at least on a non professional level. For example the last big Halo Infinite tournament I watched there were ZERO m/k teams, its 100% controllers, simply because m/k can not compete with the aim assist at the very top level. CoD is a little better in that regard, but still, out of the top 100 Warzone players there are probably 10 that play on m/k and the rest are all on controller, and the number 1 player will never be on of those 10. So, like you say, it will never be perfectly balanced, but I'll take that over not being able to play the game with all the people out there who enjoy it.

The key difference is being able to be consistent, which is very hard on m/k, especially when fatigue starts to play a role, you are going to miss some essential shots where aim assist might be able to save you.

I think the reason you feel like that in m/k CoD lobbies is that most of them are on the "Sweaty" side since thet input method sort of requires that mindset

Last edited:

twilo99

Yeah I prefer Ashika to Vondel tbh. Vondel seems a bit random towards the end of a match due to the tight spaces, Ashika plays abit more like Rebirth island. I like them both though.

What do you think?

Hopefully Rebirth Island is part of Season 2

Calverz

Gold Member
Anyone else love this game for a few days and then go back to hating it and having zero fun ?
Tbh I really enjoy it but there are times I hate it. I feel the spawns on this shipment are horrendous compared to mw2.

But I’m also playing bg3 on Xbox so that’s taking most of my time. So not playing as much as I should be!

Is multi any good?

How are gunfight maps? I know SP is not good but I've been wondering about multi with my friend.

Since it's a bit on sale if it's any good to grab it or not... It's cheaper than used copies at least in my country.

Still I think it should be a free DLC or at least priced around $40-45 tops.

Been holding out with buying it since it just felt like a cash grab.

I still have quite a bit of fun with MW2 and Warzone so it's not like I have to buy it asap. But I don't think it will drop much more than that.

I just thought I would read and ask around if it's really worth it or not with MW3 being on sale.

We really played the shit out of MW2019 with my friend, especially gunfight modes.

MW2 was such a disappointment.

And as I have mentioned MW3 felt like a cash grab.

So the more info I have about the state of this game multi now, the better. Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
Top Bottom