• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Can someone explain why Concord is "soulless" while Astro Bot exudes "passion"?

Is the new Astro Bot a bastion of creativity?

• OP is wrong. Concord is soulless and Astro Bot is a breath of fresh air!

• I'm in the middle. I see OP's point to an extent.

• OP is right. Astro Bot was made in a lab by a marketing firm.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Robb

Gold Member
I would be ok with that being a pack in demo or something on a subscription service. But a $70 title like this sounds weird to me.

I would rather have an original world with actual characters and this gameplay.
There’s definitely original worlds etc. I think you can look at it like the Ps5/Controller being more like the Odyssey (ship) in Mario Odyssey or the Mario-themed head planet in Galaxy 2.

King Dazzar

Men_in_Boxes Men_in_Boxes & his GaaS:
Snake Oil Salesman GIF by 60 Second Docs
Vintage Salesman GIF by Challenger

Neff

I mean, we can all pretend to be stupid for kicks, but since you asked-

One is made by a team which is embracing and paying homage to a golden age of single-player 3D platformers, still alive and strong in gamers' hearts, packing it with countless attention-grabbing ideas and concepts.

The other is made by a team which has been told by cynical, out-of-touch, investor-fearing bean counters to replicate an embarrassingly tired-looking, exploitative fad.

cormack12

Gold Member
Concord had three main issues in the showcase:

1. Cringy dialogue with (but technically very good) bloated cinematics with quipping, all too familiar archetypal design ingested with the poor design choices that plague other games like Saints Row. Focusing on the weekly cinematics per character that no one really cares about - it's hard enough getting anyone to care beyond Cayde in Destiny 2.
2. Getting confused with Marvel Rivals and also looking like a lot of games that have come and gone. I think it clearly shows the game lacks identity and is just getting added to the hazy blur of 'options'. It has a real problem in that everyone assumes it is free to play too.
3. Very little actual information on game modes, price range etc. when beta access in June is dependent on a pre-order.

Astro is well over rated but that doesn't mean it's bad. Astro reminds me of a 'Pixar short' character that isn't the main one from the IP. Cutesy and quite generic. But when you compare the actual mechanics of what Playroom was about, the platforming was very basic and had no depth. Games like Crash, LittleBigPlanet, Mario, Psychonauts 2 and even the Lego games have lots of depth to their platforming. Playroom just didn't. It was easy and short and had a bump like Contrast did with the PS4 by virtue of being available at launch, and being a tech demo of the DualSense - which sadly still remains the broadest and best implementation of most of the features. Now from the trailer, it looks like this is the attempt to make it into a fully fledged platformer (a la ripping off the string mechanics from LBP), and some of the bosses look mildly interesting.

It leans heavily on nostalgia and those who have been in the PlayStation ecosystem for years. But let's face it this isn't a game for us on GAF or adults in general. It's meant to appeal to the younger generation and make the purchase palatable because there is stuff in there we recognise. Ultimately the jury is out, but it fills a niche that has a gap, probably didn't cost a lot to make and yeah, kids will probably like it - and it's easy enough for parents to help them when they get stuck.

Kataploom

Gold Member
Well, for starter, Sony is too "get into the bandwagon" kind of publisher, and that game shows... Like it asked an AI to make some "multiplayer game that modern audiences will like" or something like that.

In the other hand, Astro Bot is basically what Sony lost after pursuing the western adult audience non-stop, some kind of variety is always good and Sony lacks that in spades.

Killjoy-NL

I think it's all a matter of perspective.

Couldn't give two shits about Astro Bot (Astro's Playroom was fun as a tech-demo), but it's a quality game and a breath of fresh air on Playstation.

Concord seems like good quality, but the gameplay reveal was Woke af and most people whine about a crowded place for hero shooters, except Playstation only has OW and Paladins.
People seem to forget that last part, but Sony's main focus is Playstation, so other hero shooters like Valorant don't matter that much.

Last edited:

King Dazzar

Astro bot is classic gaming playability. Yes it's a 3d platformed but it is working on sonys gaming nostalgia which is quite an original concept. It looks great FUN.

Concord looks like generic focus grouped shite.
I dont even like platformers, but I'm looking forward to Astro Bot. It just oozes character & charm.

willothedog

I think it's all a matter of perspective.

Couldn't give two shits about Astro Bot (Astro's Playroom was fun as a tech-demo), but it's a quality game and a breath of fresh air on Playstation.

Concord seems like good quality, but the gameplay reveal was Woke af and most people whine about a crowded place for hero shooters, except Playstation only has OW and Paladins.
People seem to forget that last part, but Sony's main focus is Playstation, so other hero shooters like Valorant don't matter that much.
and Apex.

Mowcno

Because Astrobot looks like good old fashioned gaming fun and not something following the latest modern trends and flavour of the week.

We need more variety and "old fashioned" titles from modern Sony.

Just because it has a ton of playstation references doesn't mean it's soulless. It can embrace and celebrate the playstation brand with genuine love and passion.

Astrobot looks like a game that the developers just wanted to make something fun people would enjoy.

Concorde is the type of game where how it's monetized and engagement it's higher on the priority list.

Last edited:

FunkMiller

Gold Member
You have to be kidding, right?

How can you possibly look at the Concord reveal and not see how generic, corporately mandated, dull, uninspired and lethargic the whole thing is?

Then compare to a bright, colourful reveal of a game that revels in the kind of simple, happy gameplay that has been completely missing from the two main consoles for so very long.

Astrobot isn't that big of a deal, but against that trope-ridden, hyperactive Gen Z targeted slop, it's a breath of fresh air.

Last edited:
I played a lot of Astro with my young son during the pandemic.

It was a great tech demo.

I have a hard time seeing it as a standalone game, especially when it already has to rely on Sony "nostalgia."

Not saying it won't be great, but would prefer it lean less on God of War style levels and Playstation-themed collectathons, and more on original ideas and the novel mechanics demonstrated in PlayRoom.

Last edited:

sendit

I also think Astrobot is a generic looking mascot and doesn't have the charm or personality of Nintendo's characters or Rare and Insomniac's old platformers. Concord is also very copy and paste of previous IPs. So yeah, both are lacking originality to me.
I agree with this. Both games look generic.

PaintTinJr

So it really just boils down to "I like therefore I will say nonsense"?

Can't one argue that there have been far more basic 3D platformers over the last 30 years than there have been Overwatch/Valorant style games? Why is the 2,435th platformer fresh and exciting while the 12th hero based shooter is stale?

I'll admit that Astro is polished, but it really does little more than "Jump on the Goombas walking slowly towards you, jump over the flaming rope, wait for the platform to reach you before you jump on". I mean, if that's creativity then the word has lost all meaning.
I think you are missing the point that these are games. Astrobot despite being easily accessible for everyone most of the way through making 70% or whatever of the game for everyone, but actually has a traditional skill based learning curve with the exhilaration to match available in parallel, as demonstrated by the amazing time trial times the community has managed. But the heart of the game is largely provided by its main theme tune and soundtrack, which brilliantly can play to infinity like most Miyamoto Mario/Zelda/etc game's music, a prerequisite of any great game IMO - me and a friend discuss this point at least once per year.

Compare and contrast the amazing Splatoon to Concord, and then compare how Foamstars misses the Splatoon target while being closer to Concord. It is simple things even like FOV and geometry scaling, where you don't want to see a FPS view in a loveable game that looks too widescreen like a PS2 FPS, but a more proportioned curve edged view like Splatoon where the game maps looks like they don't favour horizontal play versus vertical play., but play in all axis. The base loop of gameplay should probably be very distinct and shared by 90% of classes, with the odd standout, and the basic gameplay tweaked subtly per class, just like Splatoon, rather than all be about their distinctive styles and unique heavy attacks IMO.

Zathalus

Astro Bot feels like a creative love letter to PlayStation. Concord feels like a Overwatch ripoff with focus group designed 'modern' characters.

It could be the devs of Concord have been pouring their heart and soul into the game and it may surprise us all, but it's certainly not presenting itself that way.

spons

Gold Member
I'm so fucking glad the general populace is done with this shit, just look at the YouTube trailer comments for Concord.
From the godawful dialogue and quips to the bland visuals, everything about this game just oozes design-by-committee.
Someone called it "Marvel-style writing" and that is exactly it, with each character being a smug asshole uttering galling "jokes".
Astrobot seems focused, fun, visually interesting and something I'd very much like to play instead.

Kenneth Haight

Gold Member
Tell me you never played Astrobot without telling me you never played Astrobot. It’s ok OP I’m sure you will really enjoy Brink 2, Concord.
I remember being so excited for brink way back then. Safe to say I didn’t end up buying it after the early reviews, it looked so cool at the time though. Looks jank AF now 😂

Wildebeest

This is culture at the moment. A not really ironic love affair with openly soulless products and corporations which just give people what they want to consume with no grit. The Barbie movie is seen as the epitome of high art.

Lol of course this is a men in boxes thread. Literally the person with the exact opposite wants in a game to me.

Concord looks shit, end of discussion. It's a game made by a fucking EDI committee, looking to get those sweet likes from communities like Era and anyone that likes by the numbers multiplayer rubbish.

Last edited:

Killjoy-NL

Lol of course this is a men in boxes thread. Literally the person with the exact opposite wants in a game to me.

Concord looks shit, end of discussion. It's a game made by a fucking EDI committee, looking to get those sweet likes from communities like Era and anyone that likes by the numbers multiplayer rubbish.
Comments like this make me realize Gaf isn't any different from the Woke idiots at Era.
Just the other side of the spectrum.

Last edited:

Hudo

Gold Member
Because Concord, at least from what they have shown so far, ticks all the "designed by a committee in California"-checkboxes. From the Marvel-style dialog, to the generic live-service mechanics, down to the direction of the trailer.
Whereas Astro Bot, at least from what they have shown so far, appears to be developed by a team that has fun doing this from time to time, at least. Although I do find the inclusion of the DualSense and the PS5 Console a bit cringe (It's OK for a tech demo but for a real game, I dunno, feels weird.)

Maybe I'm wrong but that are the impressions I got so far. And first impressions aren't usually not that far off unless your marketing is deliberately misleading (like the marketing for Destiny was)

Last edited:

DrFigs

Concord is a multiplayer shooter that is considered woke, politically, astrobot is neither of these things. it's not deeper than that.

squarealex

Concord was a not a Soulless design but more a uninspired / copy-pasta design (for the 4 characters of the CGI), but the rest of cast is cring..

Is very sad because, production value, CGI quality and animation was top notch... So... any other design can be really really cool in fact....but fk Sweet Baby and ESG score, and it's another 5vs5 game (even if the game has a very good gameplay)

AstroBot is indeed souless design. (I don't like the pick many PlayStation IP to "create" thier universe. I mean, just create your own if you want be in the pop-culture)

Last edited:

Angry_Megalodon

Gold Member
I don’t have a habit of playing games that I have zero interest in. My time is better spent on other things. Eg. Playing great games on Switch, SteamDeck, my PC or XBX.

So you have no idea of what you are talking about and LOL out of ignorance.

Just FYG, Astrobot Rescue Mission is better than any platformer since Mario 64, these guys have that kind of genius, Nintendo doesn't own any special magic that makes them the sole creators of good platformers. Media Molecule with Little Big Planet or Tearaway existed before Asobi, but Asobi definitely is on another level.

Don't like either and still don't know why people are so excited about Astrobot.

With Concord it is basically because it looks like another 5-10 hero shooters. Overwatch, upcoming Marvel game, mobile Star Wars game, upcoming Valve's game, Apex etc. In case of Concord it also looks like GoTG wannabe hero shooter.

Last edited:

midnightAI

Astrobot is a market tested, made in a lab mascot used to sell merchandise (PlayStation branded product). "Let's make a cute robot, because kids like cute, and make him do the Minions sounds. Kids will like that!" It's the Cool Spot corpo trash from the mid 90's.... Its gameplay does nothing new, or interesting. It's a near copycat of the Crash Bandicoot formula with some Mario 3D Land influence. Those 3D platformers had dozens of clones released in the late 90s and 00s.
peter dinklage middle finger GIF

FeralEcho

OP when Concord trailer released and no one but him and the devs actually liked that piece of shit and everyone else would rather have a walking commercial platformer because it exhudes more creativity and passion than that gaas garbage ever could:

"I don't understand,this is so perplexing,gaas is the future so how can this be,we must find the reason why such a thing happened, it's a mistery"

Fn5Cm7L.gif

Lunarorbit

Concord looks like an overwatch ripoff. Same art style, same color palette, maps look surprisingly similar, same cheesy character intros.

It's the same energy as foam stars. After hearing about concord for at least 2 years this is what was shown?

Astrobot on the other hand is cute, has good platforming, great level design, interesting visuals, is a love letter to Sony with lots of Easter eggs.

The ps5 version that came with the console was a gift and respected ps fans

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom