• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Can someone explain why Concord is "soulless" while Astro Bot exudes "passion"?

Is the new Astro Bot a bastion of creativity?

• OP is wrong. Concord is soulless and Astro Bot is a breath of fresh air!

• I'm in the middle. I see OP's point to an extent.

• OP is right. Astro Bot was made in a lab by a marketing firm.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
If they do this for ps+ than they deserve to fail with this game. Holly shit!
They're obviously not going to do this. ManaByte bit off a bit too much to chew here.

Concord will have multiple points of entry when it comes to price. A F2P, hero rotation style entry is basically a certainty.

Last edited:

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
Mods I know he's not broken any rules but can we ban Men_in_Boxes Men_in_Boxes ? Pretty please? There's no way he isn't some psyop from a big company trying to convince us that everything bad in the industry is actually good. This guy isn't a legitimate user who came here to discuss video games there's no way.

ASTRObot looks like a Playstation game and has the identity of one for better or worse

Concord could've launched on PC or Xbox. It has that little of an identity

Last edited:

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
Prove that the PC version is Free 2 Play when the PS5 version goes up for pre-order (as in PAYING FOR THE GAME) on Thursday. The PS5 version also requires PS+, which is not a requirement for Free 2 Play games.

Stop your astroturfing of a Sweet Baby production.

Let's revisit this discussion on June 6th.

People are calling for my head so I must go now.

Rockman33

It is strange that people are acting like astrobot is some amazing IP and this new game looks spectacular.

IMO I think it looks as good as the other 2. Which were pretty solid 7.5/10 games.

My guess is PlayStation loyalists have so few 1st party games to look forward to at this point they are just grasping for single player experiences made by PS.

I love service games. My most played game ever is Dead by Daylight. Last gen I fucking loved Evolve. Played the shit out of Battleborn. Terrible character designs don’t bother me if the gameplay is good. The problem with Concord is the gameplay looks like shit. The gameplay trailer looked to be moving in slow motion with generic special abilities and dialogue that wouldn’t be good enough for a GotG movie. People are down on it because it’s apparent it’s just another soon to be failed GaaS shooter. This won’t take off when the market is already flooded with team shooters.

Astrobot gets a little overrated here but at least there is proven quality there. It’s also a core gaming experience that you can buy and come back to whenever. Good luck coming back to Concord in ten months when the game is dead.

Fabieter

It is strange that people are acting like astrobot is some amazing IP and this new game looks spectacular.

IMO I think it looks as good as the other 2. Which were pretty solid 7.5/10 games.

My guess is PlayStation loyalists have so few 1st party games to look forward to at this point they are just grasping for single player experiences made by PS.

It helped that the rest of the show was really boring with the first 15 min totally worst show opener contender. Maybe they made concord to promote astrobot I don't know.

BossLackey

Gold Member
I think the difference for me is that Concord feels disingenuous in it’s design. It feels like the entire concept down to individual details were brainstormed not by passionate designers but a marketing focused and out of touch committee of bean counters in order to extract the maximum amount of dollars from braindead 15-year-olds using a cocktail of generic, unoriginal, and overused multiplayer tropes.

It’s as if they set out to intentionally make a game that was a generic and evenly distributed blend of the MCU’s painfully overused Whedonisms in every possible situation they can be shoehorned into and every GAAS game of the last 10 years. All lumps and bumps of originality have been shaved off for maximum digestibility rather than risk introducing original mechanics that might impede any momentum in the financial model of Concord.

Astro Bot isn’t going to be revolutionary or even very original, but it does at least appear to be made with genuine passion for simply making a fun videogame.

ManaByte

Rage Bait Youtuber
Astro Bot isn’t going to be revolutionary or even very original, but it does at least appear to be made with genuine passion for simply making a fun videogame.

Astro Bot is the 2024 GOTY. Concord will be forgotten like Destruction All Stars.

Im sure Sony knows the risk of failure is very high, but GAF really underestimates how important they are to Playstation. At their recent business strategy meeting, Sony showed a slide that said 50% of their revenue comes from just 10 live service games, while the other 9k+ games published bring in the other 50%.

With such a massive disparity, Sony could probably be sued by their share holders if they didnt invest in their own GAAS games. So although we love the single player games, there are more people who enjoy the GAAS games.
It’s an issue of knowing your audience, and properly managing expectations. Nintendo’s gotten extremely good at it, particular over the lifespan of the Switch. People tuning into the SoP were not pining to see GaaS announcements. They were eagerly hoping beyond hope for a new LoU, Ghost of Tsushima, resurrected dormant IP, Bloodborne remake, a big new single player IP, etc. It would be like if Nintendo held a big general Nintendo Direct and then spent the entire time talking about Splatoon and Arms, and as a big last surprise, announced a sequel to Wii Music.

What’s happening right now between PS management and the diehard PS fans is very similar to what happened between Nintendo and its diehard fans during the DS/Wii era. They’re not doing a good job of managing expectations with their legion of diehard fans who just want the next big single player PS game.

It reminds me of when Nintendo went too far the other way and burned all their core fans during the early years of the Wii, before they realized their error and eventually course-corrected. But it took years & years to fix.

There’s a big disconnect there. I hope PS management figures out a way to navigate it. And as someone who doesn’t play PS but has always from the sidelines respected the sacredness of their big single player narrative games that make so many people happy, I hope they don’t turn their backs on the people who’ve made them who they are. It’s the basic DNA of PS. And it would be a catastrophic loss in the industry if that ever went away.

Last edited:

Fabieter

Prove that the PC version is Free 2 Play when the PS5 version goes up for pre-order (as in PAYING FOR THE GAME) on Thursday. The PS5 version also requires PS+, which is not a requirement for Free 2 Play games.

Stop your astroturfing of a Sweet Baby production.

I saw an artice where it says to get access to the beta you have to preorder the game.

RoboFu

One of the green rats
Ones an unknown generic and bland looking like a dollar store rip off of other hero shooters.

The other is known fun and super creative game series about a little robot.

This is concord.

B5eVwpYCIAM828S.jpg

Last edited:
Well Sony is mostly only giving GaaS to studios that are new or only make GaaS

They aren’t turning their back at all

And GaaS titles made them who they are also, to a significant degree
GaaS is a relatively new thing to PS, but more than that, it’s mostly a different pool of players vs the people waiting for the next Last of Us or a Bloodborne remake. There looks to be a big disconnect there.

Last edited:
GaaS is a relatively new thing to PS, but more than that, it’s mostly a different pool of players vs the people waiting for the next Last of Us or a Bloodborne remake. There looks to be a big disconnect there.

CoD, Fortnite, Apex, OW aren’t new to PS and yet are over 50% of PlayStations revenue makers.

Sony bought Bungie and Firewalk and Haven as dedicated GaaS studios

Their big SP studios are still making SP games and Sony continues to fund SP 2nd party and xDev games

Fabieter

CoD, Fortnite, Apex, OW aren’t new to PS and yet are over 50% of PlayStations revenue makers.

Sony bought Bungie and Firewalk and Haven as dedicated GaaS studios

Their big SP studios are still making SP games and Sony continues to fund SP 2nd party and xDev games

It was their first show for month and they show it for half of the time. I don't know man seems really disconnected with their community to me.

Reactions: Isa
Astro Bot is a good example of what Playstation has always been about……unique refreshing and fun exclusives. Not tied to a stupid online connection to play. Single player always at the forefront. Creative art direction and gameplay. It is a breath of fresh air indeed and what most Playstation gamers and fans have always loved about their platform of choice.
Concorde on the other hand is everything that a lot of gamers despise nowadays. Online only rubbish that eventually loses support that pushes DEI woke nonsense in their characters (pronouns) etc. Looks generic like many other similair types of games in the genre showing a complete lack of creativity.
Those are the main differences imo.

Simple answer: Genre oversaturation

Longer answer: Concord looks woefully derivative from other GaaS games and it couldn't have been presented in a worse way as reflected by the ratio. Astrobot follows the KISS (Keep It Simple, Stupid) principle, i.e. make the game fun to play.

Generic

All the world over I'm hearing the same thing. Concord is a soulless, market tested, Gaurdians of the Galaxy rip off while Astrobot is a breath of fresh air that exudes creativity and passion.

Um, what?

Astrobot is a market tested, made in a lab mascot used to sell merchandise (PlayStation branded product). "Let's make a cute robot, because kids like cute, and make him do the Minions sounds. Kids will like that!" It's the Cool Spot corpo trash from the mid 90's.... Its gameplay does nothing new, or interesting. It's a near copycat of the Crash Bandicoot formula with some Mario 3D Land influence. Those 3D platformers had dozens of clones released in the late 90s and 00s.

Cool_Spot_Rev_1_1993VirginUS_screenshot.gif

53758812254_e04a25d578_b.jpg

(This is an advertisement)

The new Astrobot looks identical (BUT MORE!) to the previous two games. It's more gimmick platforming using the unique functions of the PS5 controller...blow in the mic everyone!

Concord may deserve much of its criticism but at least it's a new IP that's trying some new things in a space where there's not very many peers. Why is Firewalk soulless and Team Asobi avant guard again? Make it make sense people?!
Yeah, I kinda liked the Astrobot trailer but the game isn't adding anything new to the platforming genre.

Generic

Simple answer: Genre oversaturation

Longer answer: Concord looks woefully derivative from other GaaS games and it couldn't have been presented in a worse way as reflected by the ratio. Astrobot follows the KISS (Keep It Simple, Stupid) principle, i.e. make the game fun to play.
There are more platforming games than hero shooters.

Fabieter

They shouldn’t need a safe space for SP only gamers. This is just sad tbh

Not a safe space they also had specific SOP for sp games. There is nothing to defend here.

giphy.gif

This was me after the state of play. Well it was definitely the last time I don't go to sleep instead.

I think the higher ups thought with the mp game having some kind of story as well that we are happy too. Well seems like they are disconnected to us;).

Last edited:

Fabieter

There are more platforming games than hero shooters.

There are also more jrpgs than hero shooters but a aaa jrpg from sony in 2024 would be insanity and would top anything for me. But it's apples and oranges to compare the ammount of sp games to the ammount of mp games.

Last edited:
Not a safe space they also had specific SOP for sp games. There is nothing to defend here.

giphy.gif

This was me after the state of play. Well it was definitely the last time I don't go to sleep instead.

I think the higher ups thought with the mp game having some kind of story as well that we are happy too. Well seems like they are disconnected to us;).

You expected nothing, got AstroBot, and were let down. ok

Anyone with half a brain new that Sony had Concord and AstroBot on tap for this year and they clearly messaged that it was all we were going to get for this state of play.

Last edited:

lachesis

Sensible, smart Asian female rebel stereotype and dumb green male main dude, and power type dude…. I don’t know. So formulaic and stereotypical in terms of characters. I just didn’t find that interesting- but I guess it’s not really story driven…

Loomy

Thinks Microaggressions are Real
Like the insanely popular Helldivers 2?

Lol. Nobody thinks having a black woman as a playable character is "woke". The pronouns for a video game character are dumb, but that's not the main reason people dislike this game.

That's the main issue. It looks like the same game we've seen a hundred times before. Sony didn't show anything that made this game stand out from a crowded genre. It looked boring, lifeless and uninspired.
The loudest voices on this forum absolutely hate GaaS. Jump into almost any thread.

The game characters are as inoffensive as possible
Character selection is dominated by diverse women, but not actually diverse because they're mostly black.
Pronouns
The few men in the game are retarded
This is in response to someone asking this individual what "woke checklist" Concord checked all the boxes in.

Lol If woke had a mascot this would be it. They ran out of room because they ticked so many boxes
And this is how they described it.

Sorry to tag you a bunch of times Ass of Can Whooping Ass of Can Whooping , but someone needed receipts.

Last edited:

DapperSloth

When I saw Astrobot (and played Astrobots Playroom) I felt joy, happiness and got transported back to that little child I was when I discovered games for the first time with NES and SNES.

With Concord all my happiness was just gone while looking at the gameplay, it was just so dull and I just wanted to get a very long nap. Plus it has forced pronouns shit creeping in like many games today. Why do I need to know the characters fucking genders when selecting a character? You look like a woman you are a she, don't need to be a retard game developer like FireWalk Studios and think your audience is stupid and type it out too in their game, for fucks sake.

But we are free to choose what we like as always, no harm in that :).

Fabieter

You expected nothing, got AstroBot, and were let down. ok

Anyone with half a brain new that Sony had Concord and AstroBot on tap for this year and they clearly messaged that it was all we were going to get for this state of play.

What I didnt expect to have a sop with a pacing this bad and with such a shallow looking opener. Why is it outlandish to ask for dedicated sop if you show one game for half the time.

What I didnt expect to have a sop with a pacing this bad and with such a shallow looking opener. Why is it outlandish to ask for dedicated sop if you show one game for half the time.

Then ignore the game you aren't interested in?

Some people are.

Not every game is going to appeal to everyone

Saber

Gold Member
Wheter you like or not Astrobot, which is perfectly fine btw, if you don't have a problem with this disgusting generic game and their stupid need to use pronoums, then its safe to say its a "you" problem. We are reaching Bleeding Edge levels of yuck here.

Fabieter

Then ignore the game you aren't interested in?

Some people are.

Not every game is going to appeal to everyone

If enough people would critizise current leadership for games like this we might would see a change in direction. The devs don't deserve to be axed when this ultimately flop, the executives do.

If enough people would critizise current leadership for games like this we might would see a change in direction. The devs don't deserve to be axed when this ultimately flop, the executives do.

Why does leadership need to be criticized for offering a more diverse range of software in addition to all the other software they are known for?

This is what is infuriating about all the outrage, the idea that Sony should not cater to over half their userbase that does enjoy Live Service games

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom