• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Canadian Gaming Deals and Discussion Thread 5: Much Ado Aboot Shipping

Firestorm

The Scene Changes make sense as the old system was a bit ridiculously good for a loyalty system. If you used it right it was like 20% back (10x Scene discounted Tuesday tickets redeemed for an IMAX 3D AVX). They're trying to average it out to a 10% back.

Ryne

Whats VIP viewing? I feel like I'm missing out on something here.

My girlfriend and I go to the theatres 5-6 times a year, and I never knew there was VIP sections or whatever it is.

Entropia

No One Remembers

My girlfriend and I go to the theatres 5-6 times a year, and I never knew there was VIP sections or whatever it is.

Select theaters have a VIP section (the one near me has 3 screens). They're 19+ (i.e. you can purchase and drink alcohol), assigned seats, before the show you actually can order from your seat. It's pretty sweet.

Dazzler

First I've heard of the VIP, how much extra is it?

Assigned seating comes as standard for EVERY movie back home in Ireland, so it was a shocker here when I realised I'd have to line up early for movies to ensure a decent seat here

Then they bring in assigned seating as an extra, smh

Qwyjibo

The only times I've used Scene points is to buy blu-rays at Cineplex Store online. The prices are generally pretty damn high to begin with but every now and then they'll have an amazing sale and you can use the points as a discount on purchases when you get to the checkout.

Any good deals on laptops? I know the back-to-school sales have started, but nothing seems really good right now. I need one for university, but I also want to use it for gaming. Not crazy stuff, just my current steam library (Borderlands The Pre-Sequel might be the most demanding) and future bundle games. Seems like there are a few for ~$500 that have 8 GB of ram and 1 TB of storage.

I hoard Scene points, and worried when I first heard about these changes. However, I don't care all that much about 3D or AUX (or whatever it's called), or VIP.

jholmes

Where's the best place to get the most for selling my Wii U? Ebgames just told me they give $20...

I'll give you $25.

Seriously though try the B/S/T thread or maybe say where you are roughly and someone here might want it. Or maybe don't sell consoles because it's a money-losing proposition? Just my perspective.

Any good deals on laptops? I know the back-to-school sales have started, but nothing seems really good right now. I need one for university, but I also want to use it for gaming. Not crazy stuff, just my current steam library (Borderlands The Pre-Sequel might be the most demanding) and future bundle games. Seems like there are a few for ~$500 that have 8 GB of ram and 1 TB of storage.

This one is pretty good: i5, 8GB, 1TB storage. No full HD screen and integrated graphics, but those are very hard to find at a $500 price point. Integrated graphics are enough for Borderlands.

http://www.microsoftstore.com/store...-Signature-Edition-Laptop/productID.316914200

This one is slower but cheaper: i3, 4GB, $350.

http://www.microsoftstore.com/store...-Signature-Edition-Laptop/productID.316712800

If you want to spend more, for $800 you can get a full HD screen, and i7, and dedicated graphics.

http://www.microsoftstore.com/store...ure-Edition-Gaming-Laptop/productID.312529800

speaking of movies, I finally found those free admission tickets from Cineplex. almost threw them away too. I found them in an envelope while cleaning

they expire Feb something, 2016 but I'm gonna go ahead and use all three this year. I got one reserved for Star Wars, need two more. I might go on Wednesday and use another for Mission Impossible >_>

Mine expire in February too. I'm a bit worried because if I make it to 2016 with passes left over, I kind of assume I'll be pooched because nothing interesting comes out in January or February. And I have FIVE of these suckers to use up.

Posting for final page SEE YOU IN THREAD 4.61

VIP is God damn awesome. The shops at don mills one is so good.

Is it worth it? Maybe for that one good movie.

Kazerei

Banned
Indeed--I've got a slew of sealed PS2 games where the game itself is factory sealed, and then a bilingual cover was wrapped around the sealed game and a french manual was placed at the back, and then the whole thing was wrapped in plastic again.

No issue with that method...

You probably know already, but I thought I'd just I confirm that MH3U shipped with a bilingual cover. I bought the game at launch, and here it is. I'm also 99.99% sure it was factory sealed, because I'd be super pissed if I bought a game at launch and it wasn't sealed.

Sora_N

This one is pretty good: i5, 8GB, 1TB storage. No full HD screen and integrated graphics, but those are very hard to find at a $500 price point. Integrated graphics are enough for Borderlands.

http://www.microsoftstore.com/store...-Signature-Edition-Laptop/productID.316914200

http://www.microsoftstore.com/store...-Signature-Edition-Laptop/productID.316712800

If you want to spend more, for $800 you can get a full HD screen, and i7, and dedicated graphics.

http://www.microsoftstore.com/store...ure-Edition-Gaming-Laptop/productID.312529800

Thanks for those links. I might need a laptop soon lol.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
The one time I went to a VIP theatre they took my order for food, took my money but never got me what I asked for. I reminded them twice as everyone else was getting their orders and the movie was about to start. Yeah, fuck that.

Not worth it in any sense unless you're doing a movie date sort of thing because of the way the seats are set up. Other than that it's a colossal waste of money for the premium anyways.

vulva

my biggest problem is finding movies playing at cineplex theaters that I actually want to see. Most of the things I want to check out are usually at the bell lightbox or rainbow cinemas only

Madness

What area do you live in? The cineplex theatres around me play almost 99% of the movies out at any given time, including Indian and Chinese films etc.

Renewed

How in the world do I contact Best Buy about a Future Shop order that hasn't shipped yet? I need to change my payment information because I know they'll cancel without emailing me like Best Buy did. Seems like I'll have to call? Although the automated message gave no mention of Future Shop so I have to assume I go to "inquire about a Best Buy order?"

negitoro7

I'll give you $25.

Seriously though try the B/S/T thread or maybe say where you are roughly and someone here might want it. Or maybe don't sell consoles because it's a money-losing proposition? Just my perspective.

I'm in Vancouver, BC. Got the console mostly to play with my ex gf, no need for it now. Want to sell and use proceeds towards the Forza 6 Bundle.

Sweet Ivy

Where's the best place to get the most for selling my Wii U? Ebgames just told me they give $20...

Sell it on Kijiji if it's in good condition. I sold mine a couple of months ago (the Super Mario bundle) for 200$, but it was basically as new and hardly used.
Had several requests anyway.

Btw I had called EBGames too and they offered 90$, has it devalued so quickly in a couple of months? (For 90$ I would have rather kept it).

That first one seems pretty good. My current laptop that I am borrowing is an Acer Aspire E1-532-4497. Is the first link a lot better than my current borrowed one? Thanks for your help.

negitoro7

Sell it on Kijiji if it's in good condition. I sold mine a couple of months ago (the Super Mario bundle) for 200$, but it was basically as new and hardly used.
Had several requests anyway.

Btw I had called EBGames too and they offered 90$, has it devalued so quickly in a couple of months? (For 90$ I would have rather kept it).

Yeah I was just there preordering the Forza 6 Bundle and they basically *hint hint nudge nudged* me that I'd be a fool to give it to them for $20. They said the value of the game is good and there's %15 on top of that. Should I sell the console by itself or everything on Kijiji / Craigslist?

On disc, I got Mario Kart, Mario 3D World, and Smash Bros, plus a pro controller.

stolin

Need that new thread smell...

Are-We-There-Yet.jpg

Kiro

This was a great thread. I'm glad I was a part of it. Saved several hundred dollars so far cause of you fine folk.

*something something insert titanic quartet jpg*

firehawk12

Subete no aware
speaking of movies, I finally found those free admission tickets from Cineplex. almost threw them away too. I found them in an envelope while cleaning

they expire Feb something, 2016 but I'm gonna go ahead and use all three this year. I got one reserved for Star Wars, need two more. I might go on Wednesday and use another for Mission Impossible >_>
I still have 6 from buying those movies 2 years ago... and they credited me like 6000 points after being hold for like 3 hours. I still can't use them all because I'm too lazy to go.

The Scene Changes make sense as the old system was a bit ridiculously good for a loyalty system. If you used it right it was like 20% back (10x Scene discounted Tuesday tickets redeemed for an IMAX 3D AVX). They're trying to average it out to a 10% back.
What did they change? The amount of points you earn, or the amount you need to redeem?

I don't think VIP is worth it inasmuch as you are basically watching on a home theater screen. It's fine if you want to drink during the screening, I guess... but at that point, you might as well just wait for the movie to come out and drink your own beer at home. lol

my biggest problem is finding movies playing at cineplex theaters that I actually want to see. Most of the things I want to check out are usually at the bell lightbox or rainbow cinemas only

Never heard of Bell Lightbox. Rainbow Cinemas sounds like a red district establishment targeted at a minority.

Are you trying to say you don't watch Hollywood movies?

jholmes

Never heard of Bell Lightbox. Rainbow Cinemas sounds like a red district establishment targeted at a minority.

Are you trying to say you don't watch Hollywood movies?

Bell Lightbox is in downtown Toronto and they do a lot of festival stuff (TIFF obviously, but they were showing a bunch of Miyazaki films in May if memory serves).

Rainbow Cinemas is a national chain, at least ostensibly, and it's amazing if you want to see movies dirt cheap. It was my jam back in college. If you're near one and looking to kill some time for some pocket change, do it up.

That first one seems pretty good. My current laptop that I am borrowing is an Acer Aspire E1-532-4497. Is the first link a lot better than my current borrowed one? Thanks for your help.

Quick Google search gives me this:

http://www.acer.ca/ac/en/CA/content/model/NX.MFVAA.001

Slightly different numbers but yeah, an i5 blows Celeron out of the water.

However, I believe a new set of processors recently came out (Skylake) which may mean the older (Broadwell) processors will be cleared out. If you're willing to wait the deals may get better.

Iced

However, I believe a new set of processors recently came out (Skylake) which may mean the older (Broadwell) processors will be cleared out. If you're willing to wait the deals may get better.

Hey while you're here: who is the guy in your avatar? I know someone who looks exactly like him and it's always bugged me.

Thanks. I did some searching and I couldn't find a better laptop forb $500 or less. Some were a bit more and worse.

The sale ends today and I will probably get it. Seems to be good enough for what I need it for.

Top Bottom