• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Canadian Gaming Deals and Discussion Thread 5: Much Ado Aboot Shipping

jholmes

did they stop selling plasma tvs? I have a hard finding them anywhere. What a shame, damn shame. I'm looking in the 60" range.

Yeah, plasmas use a lot of power and all the glass up front makes them unwieldy and LED technology just keeps getting cheaper so plasmas are going the way of the dodo, especially in the 60" range I'm sure.

That's too bad because if you don't use them in places with a lot of sunlight they're awesome, I got a 43" Samsung on Boxing Day four years ago and it's an excellent set.

Sometimes I receive games on release day that don't have the usual factory style seal.

I actually got a resealed Infamous 2 before from Superstore.

I don't remember anyone agreeing with me, but I've received several (seemingly) resealed blu rays from them. Boxes are dented too.

This. I've received several resealed blurays from Amazon, and none of them were coming from a third party.

Thanks for the feedback. I received--in direct succession--two emails from Amazon. One letting me know my replacement is to arrive in about a week, and the other screaming that their records indicate I am in possession of my replacement and they don't yet have the original and I'll soon be charged for it.

OK.

I'll take some pics for comparison when the replacement arrives. Bunch it in with about 8 other Wii U sealed games and see if anyone can pic the Amazon offenders out. ;)

Unlimited data with Wind is REALLY useful when the power is out and I have a fully charged laptop to tether

Can't wait to see my data usage tomorrow lol

For games in Canada, some games are re-sealed to insert a French manual on the back.

I don't know about that. Most games in Canada have bilingual covers. I think the only exceptions are the ones that also include Spanish like the UbiSoft ones.

That stuff used to happen in the PS2/PS3 days, when the games came with huge manuals. Quebec had just changed the rules and the publishers took forever to adapt.

I don't know about that. Most games in Canada have bilingual covers. I think the only exceptions are the ones that also include Spanish like the UbiSoft ones.

That stuff used to happen in the PS2/PS3 days, when the games came with huge manuals. Quebec had just changed the rules and the publishers took forever to adapt.

Indeed--I've got a slew of sealed PS2 games where the game itself is factory sealed, and then a bilingual cover was wrapped around the sealed game and a french manual was placed at the back, and then the whole thing was wrapped in plastic again.

No issue with that method...

SickBoy

Canadian Gaming Deals and Discussion Thread 6: Eleven Weeks of Campaigning for the next Thread Title

not serious, lol

Yet surprisingly accurate, because it's felt like that. Next time Firestorm shouldn't drop the writ so early.

I'm joking. It's not Firestorm's fault
or is it?

Ondore

I'm surprised nobody pointed out the Fixed Post Limit Act just leads to an eternally long campaign for thread titles.

ANYway, is $75 the lowest price for a PS(3/4) 1TB drive at this point?

DJ_Lae

Unlimited data with Wind is REALLY useful when the power is out and I have a fully charged laptop to tether

Can't wait to see my data usage tomorrow lol

Do you get decent speeds? I find it really had to get anywhere near the soft cap (5GB?) and I set my phone up for tethering at work while it's plugged in.

I'll also - sort of - forgive them some pretty awful signals underground and in larger buildings due to their frequency band. But I'm cheap, so I haven't switched yet.

Roto13

Do you get decent speeds? I find it really had to get anywhere near the soft cap (5GB?) and I set my phone up for tethering at work while it's plugged in.

I'll also - sort of - forgive them some pretty awful signals underground and in larger buildings due to their frequency band. But I'm cheap, so I haven't switched yet.

Wind works on TTC subways so that's great. :p

I'm on that $40 plan and my data speeds are fine for how I use them. (Basically streaming music.) I've never gotten close to the soft cap. But it didn't work at all when I spent two weeks visiting my family in Newfoundland. I was expecting that when I signed up, though.

Don't take my word for it, but there might be a "testing period" with Wind where you can see if coverage meets your needs? (Like to see if you get signal at home and stuff)

You're allowed to talk for like an hour, total, before being locked into the contract, so you can bring it around and test it out. That's what I did.

Vamphuntr

That's a great price! Strix is a bit big for smaller setups but it's great with heat dissipation and like the other non-reference cards does not even turn on the fan until it hits ~60c!

Just to add to this. I have the card and it's fairly big and sometimes it gets unbalanced and I have to push it back in the slot or get an annoying sound.

Mimosa97

Remember that ominous SCENE survey ?

Well it's official. They've changed their rewards program. You need 1500 pts now for a 3D/Imax ticket and 2k pts for a VIP ticket.

I have 3 months to spend the 5k pts I have left on my Scene card. And then I'm done with watching movies at the theater. That shit is way too expensive.

Well it's official. They've changed their rewards program. You need 1500 pts now for a 3D/Imax ticket and 2k pts for a VIP ticket.

I have 3 months to spend the 5k pts I have left on my Scene card. And then I'm done with watching movies at the theater. That shit is way too expensive.

Was it 1000pts for anything before? The website shows:

- 100pts per general admission (1000pts to redeem)
- 150pts per 3D/IMAX (1500pts to redeem)
- 200pts per VIP (2000pts to redeem)

zroid

Banned

aw fuck

is this already live?

edit: not yet it seems

Will they still have the treats and seats combo at the a theatre?

sikkinixx

Yeah my wife and I are burning through our 7000 points on VIP before it transitions over. $23 a ticket is way too much and after VIP I can't go back to the sardine can theatres. Maybe Imax in the future.

Luigi87

Yeah basically the Scene changes just means everything scales. So if you only say saw 3D/IMAX movies, then it still only requires 10 viewings as per normal to get enough points, however it means you wouldn't be able to see the VIP showings like you used to... alternatively you'd be halfway to seeing another 2D showing for free.

Being said, movie ticket prices are ridiculous.

... of course I've had 1000pts unspent for a few years now <_<

That sucks. That really sucks.

The girlfriend and I would treat ourselves to a VIP movie after I reached 1000pts.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Netflix forever. Fuck $20 movie tickets.

Yeeep. We see a handful of movies per year at most. The price of the ticket, the food, the odds of sitting in front of, or near inconsiderate assholes and / or their kids, makes the entire experience not worth it. When we do end up going, we try to going some place relatively inexpensive like Rainbow Cinemas.

Roto13

Was it 1000pts for anything before? The website shows:

- 100pts per general admission (1000pts to redeem)
- 150pts per 3D/IMAX (1500pts to redeem)
- 200pts per VIP (2000pts to redeem)

It costs more to get more expensive tickets for free but you also get more points for buying more expensive tickets.

Doesn't seem so bad to me.

Dazzler

people texting throughout movies seems to be something that's becoming a big problem lately too

Last few movies I've been at there's been some dick near me with their bright screen on for minutes at a time

vulva

people texting throughout movies seems to be something that's becoming a big problem lately too

Last few movies I've been at there's been some dick near me with their bright screen on for minutes at a time

That happens sometimes too for me. So I ask them to stop, and they do. Problem ends up being a non-issue real quickly

soultron

Banned
Yeeep. We see a handful of movies per year at most. The price of the ticket, the food, the odds of sitting in front of, or near inconsiderate assholes and / or their kids, makes the entire experience not worth it. When we do end up going, we try to going some place relatively inexpensive like Rainbow Cinemas.

My dawgggg. Yeah, we also go there. We live near The Fox Theatre as well, which is nice.

I generally try to only go to theaters now when I feel like watching it on a laptop won't do it justice. I went to see Mad Max twice in 2D, for example.

Scene changes sound fine to me. I'm generally ambivalent or actively try to avoid 3D movies and I don't understand the appeal of VIP theatres (wait, so I can sit in a smaller room with a smaller screen but they'll serve me alcohol? I can do that at home!) so the only way this would really affect me is IMAX and whatever the thing is that lets you pre-book seats, since those tend to be the 3D screenings. I can count on one finger the number of IMAX movies I've seen.

Of course, I still have free movie passes to use up from that killer Cineplex Store Boxing Day deal two years ago (50% off everything plus free Admit One with any $15+ purchase) so I'm in a unique position.

ohlawd

speaking of movies, I finally found those free admission tickets from Cineplex. almost threw them away too. I found them in an envelope while cleaning

they expire Feb something, 2016 but I'm gonna go ahead and use all three this year. I got one reserved for Star Wars, need two more. I might go on Wednesday and use another for Mission Impossible >_>

Top Bottom