• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Canadian Gaming Deals & Discussion 8: Don't Move Here For The Deals

Status
Not open for further replies.

Seik

Banned
X850D is an IPS so it is an apples and oranges comparison to VA panels. But the x850D is much much better in terms of HDR. It also has a much better upscaler, the X1 4K upscaler. If your goal is lowest input lag for gaming, the Samsung takes the cake, but if your goal is a much better 4K and HDR experience, the X850D is the better choice.

Well, I mostly get you, until that part where you say "better 4K". I understand that the HDR is inferior on the Samsung, but wouldn't native 4K (without HDR) inputs would look the same on both?

Btw, that's my first 4K...I'm upgrading from a 47" LG from 2011.

So this is better on most specs than http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=1TS-000E-051M3&ignorebbr=1 I posted earlier. But only 8 gigs of ram instead 16.. Is 8 enough on those specs? Especially the 4k screen...

RAM shouldn't be hard to upgrade.

http://www.notebookcheck.net/Lenovo-IdeaPad-Y700-15ACZ-Notebook-Review.158768.0.html

Badly designed. Even though it might not be the fault of the processor manufacturer, AMD-based notebooks do not have the best reputation. The reviewed model of the new Lenovo Y700 confirms this statement. The alleged gaming notebook is hardly suitable for gaming, although the performance should be sufficient in theory.

http://www.gaminglaptopsjunky.com/l...fx-8800p-radeon-m385x/#competinggaminglaptops

In the same price range, the usual suspects are the Acer VN7-592G, MSI GE62/PE60, Dell 7559 and XPS 9550, Alienware 15 R2 with GTX 965M (only deals or refurbished) and Clevos’ N150/N155 laptop. In terms of gaming performance, the Lenovo Y700 AMD version can’t match any of them laptops with GTX 960M, but if the price will go low enough (around $650-$700) with some deal, it could be a nice laptop compared even to the faster Dell 7559, mostly because of the speakers, build quality and keyboard.

http://forum.notebookreview.com/threads/ideapad-y700-15acz-review.783192/

Results of the M385X are somewhere between the GTX 950M and GTX 960M, apparently more close to the 950M. With higher clock rates it should be possible to get closer to the level of the 960M.

EDIT: the Intel version of the Y700 reviewed better than the Dell.

http://www.notebookreview.com/feature/lenovo-ideapad-y700-vs-dell-inspiron-15-7559/

Kyolux

Yeah, don't think she'll want to put additional money on it after though.. hmmm..

Just looked at the review. Not the same model. The newegg one has 4 gb vram and 16 gb of ram.

Edit: Anyway, ate dinner. Re-looked at everything and suggested to her to go with the Dell inspiron.

Kyolux

Final Fantasy XV says it's arriving November 29. Hoping I get it on Monday, that would make up for Pokemon Sun arriving late.

I'm receiving two copies (one is for my friend), one from future shop, the other amazon. I'm really hoping one of them shows up on Monday.

Sorry if this has come up I've heard mixed things but with both my Pro and Slim, how can I let my girlfriend play my games on her account? I'm on the Pro and she has Slim.

Also, can it be Tuesday?

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.
35% markup kills these PSN sale prices.

NYR

35% markup kills these PSN sale prices.
Our dollar is worth 1/4 less than a dollar. 25% more would be reasonable so I can't totally fault a 10% swing which is a buck or two when the loonie is only heading down. Sucks, but logical.

Xaero Gravity

NEXT LEVEL lame™
Can you explain to me why hers has to be primary? I'm not understanding it. Wouldn't it mean I'm not authorized to purchase games after?
Purchase games on your account while on her system and the purchases are associated with your account and her system as well, which would allow her to play while you simply log onto your account on your system to play your games.

Bought an MSI 1060 6GB on Newegg.

Might end up building a new computer to put it in but I'll see how it performs in my nearly 6 year old 2500K build first.

r3n4ud

Does the Lego Dimensions starter set ever go on sale? Is Lego Dimensions fun for kids who are in to lego?
Yep and yep. My kids, 6 and 10 love it.

Careful though, once you go down that rabbit hole of collecting, there ain't no coming back.

Edit: if you're looking for a PS4 copy, I've got a starter set for sale. I only bought it for Supergirl.

kevin1025

Banned

Might end up building a new computer to put it in but I'll see how it performs in my nearly 6 year old 2500K build first.

I dropped a Gigabyte 1060 6GB on my 3570k PC and I couldn't be happier with it! Definitely worth testing out.

antibolo

Banned
Our dollar is worth 1/4 less than a dollar. 25% more would be reasonable so I can't totally fault a 10% swing which is a buck or two when the loonie is only heading down. Sucks, but logical.

Logic is overrated. Doesn't make the gouged prices on everything any less shitty.

terrible

Banned

I have a 1060 and a 4.5ghz 2500K and it's fine for the most part. I'm sure you'd gain a few FPS here and there on a lot of games but when you're above 60 FPS maxed out in most games at 1080p it's hard to care.

Yay, one of the colouring books I ordered months ago finally shipped. Better late than never, I guess, though it was released in the US (Amazon.com) on October 5th and I was told I should have it before Halloween. (It's a horror book from a renowned artist and musician, called The Beauty of Horror. Five star reviews litter its Amazon.com page.) I even spoke to the author who couldn't explain the problem and gave an incorrect timeframe. The publisher never responded.

It's only a month late.

This seems to be the first wave of copies Amazon.ca got.

Oh well; I only paid $13. It's going for $20+ now. They used Purolator, too, which is great given the fuckery that Canada Post has been doing by rolling up my books and wedging them into a small mail box unnecessarily, causing damage.

It might be reasonable, but that doesn't change the fact that it firmly moves games out of the impulse buy territory. I won't buy any of the games in this sale because the prices aren't good enough.

Help me out friends

With the flash sale on PSN, Im expecting Titanfall 2 to go for $40 (including the 10% discount promo)

That's 50% off.

....Is that a good deal or can I expect to find this for ~$30 physical? I know Walmart USA had this for that price.

Xaero Gravity

NEXT LEVEL lame™
Help me out friends

With the flash sale on PSN, Im expecting Titanfall 2 to go for $40 (including the 10% discount promo)

That's 50% off.

....Is that a good deal or can I expect to find this for ~$30 physical? I know Walmart USA had this for that price.
It'll probably be $49.99 during the flash sale.

Anyone had experiences with videogamesplus.ca?
Steins;Gate 0 is exclusive to them in Canada, so I ordered the vita ver. from them.
Problem is, their shipping prices are weird, so I took their free shipping option. Anyone know if it will ship before, on, or after the release date for the game?

By the looks of it, the 999/Virtue's Last Reward remasters are also exclusive to them, so I may have to deal with them again in the future.

kevin1025

Banned
Help me out friends

That's 50% off.

It'll probably be $49.99 during the flash sale.

Yeah, for Canada $49.99 is likely the best you're going to find. But honestly, I paid $50 on Origin and couldn't be happier! Hopefully you find the price you like, because it's well worth it :D

Renewed

Anyone had experiences with videogamesplus.ca?
Steins;Gate 0 is exclusive to them in Canada, so I ordered the vita ver. from them.
Problem is, their shipping prices are weird, so I took their free shipping option. Anyone know if it will ship before, on, or after the release date for the game?

By the looks of it, the 999/Virtue's Last Reward remasters are also exclusive to them, so I may have to deal with them again in the future.

2014: Ordered Smash 4 Wii U from them with free shipping and it came in alright.

2015: I ordered MGS Legacy from them about this time a year ago. Free shipping and it took 3+ weeks to arrive (I'm in Toronto). They gave me Infamous Second Son and by the time I got it, I noticed MGS Legacy was OoS so I just kept Infamous.

But cant you use that 10% promo code Sony is giving?

I dont know if I can afford $50 when Im dead set on paying $80 to get The Last Guardian (unless I miraculously get it for cheaper on launch day)

10% off of $49.99 is roughly 44.99. They don't charge tax, so IF (and I mean IF) they do put it up for $49.99 that's the best deal you'll get in Canada.

FYI: that $30 Wal-Mart US deal is roughly $40 Cdn so I wouldn't hold your breath on it dropping to $30 any time soon.

I've been looking at a 1060 as well, is that the best deal going around?

Yeah and the best I've seen it since it's released.

Subtotal: $344.99
Handling: $0.00
Shipping: $11.99
GST/HST: $46.41
PST: $0.00
Total Amount: $403.39

This minus $15 rebate = $388.39

PCPartPicker doesn't have it for whatever reason. NCIX has a pretty close price right now, not factoring shipping.

I think the heatsink/fans on this thing is overkill as it's the same used on the MSI 1080 & 1070 but I'd rather not have to worry about temperatures. Plus overhead for overclocking is nice. And it was only like $30 more than the cheapo Zotac mini one.

I'm curious about doing the exact same thing, 2500k and all, around Boxing Day.

Everything I've read makes it sounds like a 2500K should still be fine, with some overclocking especially so.

I just kinda want to build a new computer because uh it's been almost 6 years how is this thing still holding up. Building a new retro Windows 98 computer earlier in the year helped but still I've been eyeing some console-ish-sized mini-itx PC cases that look hot.

Aske

Do u know what the discount rate usually is for macbook pro and iphone 6s plus?

No idea, sorry. I just got the cryptic email from Apple. Historically the discounts aren't huge; couple of hundred bucks. Nice if there's something you need, but not usually anything mind-blowing.

Hey, remember the $10 PSN credit people were finding in their wallets? Did we ever figure out who was/wasn't getting it? Nothing's popped up on my system yet. Not a huge deal, but it'd be good to know definitively if I'm not on Sony's Nice List for whatever reason.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom