• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Canadian Gaming Deals & Discussion 8: Don't Move Here For The Deals

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rbk_3

I may go with the Sony XBR55X850D.

It's not a killer BF deal, but hey, it's 100$ less for 1425$...I think this is the one.

And it has all the 4K bells and whistles...what do you guys think of that?

It doesn't have the peak brightness to do proper HDR, has very high inputag in HDR mode and it's an IPS panel so the contrast ratio sucks.

For reference, you're getting so much more TV with the 850 for $375 more

Contrast Ratio
KS8000: 6906 : 1
850: 1248:1

Black Level
KS80000: 0.016 cd/m2
850: 0.084 cd/m2

Peak Brightness
KS8000:1472 cd/m2
850: 422 cd/m2

Input Lag
KS8000
1080p @ 60Hz : 20.9 ms
1080p With Interpolation : 118.9 ms
1080p @ 60Hz Outside Game Mode : 113.5 ms
1080p @ 60Hz @ 4:4:4 : 37.8 ms
4k @ 60Hz: 22.7 ms
4k @ 60Hz @ 4:4:4: 37.4 ms
4k @ 60Hz + HDR : 21.1 ms
4k @ 60Hz @ 4:4:4 + HDR : 37.6 ms

1080p @ 60Hz : 34.6 ms
1080p With Interpolation: 68.7 ms
1080p @ 60Hz Outside Game Mode : 71.2 ms
1080p @ 60Hz @ 4:4:4 : 34.6 ms
4k @ 60Hz : 57.4 ms
4k @ 60Hz @ 4:4:4 : 57.4 ms
4k @ 60Hz + HDR : 57.4 ms
4k @ 60Hz @ 4:4:4 + HDR : 57.4 ms

Wide Color Gamut coverage
KS8000
DCI P3 xy : 91.31 %
DCI P3 uv : 95.87 %

DCI P3 xy: 85.94 %
DCI P3 uv: 93.56 %

Just wanted to thank Stan Marsh for the Watch Dogs 2 Shopper's deal heads up. They didn't have any in stock but Walmart price matched it to $49.88. $55 after tax, which saved me over $30 buying it full retail.

Has anyone seen any good prices on a set of tower speakers? I'd like to spend around $300 on a pair, but could go up to $500 if they are going to be significantly better.

Also looking for the best price out there for an XB1. I hear Shoppers has a good deal on that Gears bundle, but I can't find one anywhere.

If anyone has any advice on either of these things, please let me know.

antibolo

Banned
Input Lag
KS8000
1080p @ 60Hz : 20.9 ms
1080p With Interpolation : 118.9 ms
1080p @ 60Hz Outside Game Mode : 113.5 ms
1080p @ 60Hz @ 4:4:4 : 37.8 ms
4k @ 60Hz: 22.7 ms
4k @ 60Hz @ 4:4:4: 37.4 ms
4k @ 60Hz + HDR : 21.1 ms
4k @ 60Hz @ 4:4:4 + HDR : 37.6 ms

1080p @ 60Hz : 34.6 ms
1080p With Interpolation: 68.7 ms
1080p @ 60Hz Outside Game Mode : 71.2 ms
1080p @ 60Hz @ 4:4:4 : 34.6 ms
4k @ 60Hz : 57.4 ms
4k @ 60Hz @ 4:4:4 : 57.4 ms
4k @ 60Hz + HDR : 57.4 ms
4k @ 60Hz @ 4:4:4 + HDR : 57.4 ms

What does 4:4:4 mean in this context?

That PSN Black Friday deal is pretty bad, not one thing I want to get.

I really hope they do a Flash Sale on Friday with some other stuff. Sucks to see no PSVR games get a discount other than Bound.

I am going to wait until a possible Flash Sale to use that 10% off coupon. If nothing comes of the Flash Sale on Friday I will just use it to buy a new PSVR game.

LordOfChaos

http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=1TS-000E-051M3&ignorebbr=1

Could this be a good laptop for my gf? Anyone know how reliable Lenovo Yoga laptops are?

(Reminder, this was for some light photoshop and video editing stuff (2-3 minutes videos).

She also plays games, but it's not the main requirement as she doesn't have much time to play.

If the 960M one is near the same price, it's decently faster, and the Intel CPU that comes with it is better as well

http://www.notebookcheck.net/Mobile-Graphics-Cards-Benchmark-List.844.0.html

Though if she's mainly editing and doing light stuff that's quite a chunker of a budget gaming laptop for it.

Ryde3

Some games are on sale on PSN (though price doesn't show up as discounted until you add to cart for now)

So far I noticed:

Megaman Legacy Collection: 7.59 (PS+)
Street Fighter V: 22.86 (PS+)
Far Cry Primal: 19.99

Oh shit I think I'm going to bite on SFV, thanks!

Aske

Some games are on sale on PSN (though price doesn't show up as discounted until you add to cart for now)

So far I noticed:

Megaman Legacy Collection: 7.59 (PS+)
Street Fighter V: 22.86 (PS+)
Far Cry Primal: 19.99

Be sure to get the Deluxe version: $32 for the base game and season pass. Season pass itself is also discounted to $17, for those who aready have the base game.

Thanks. What province are you? AB?

Close! Prairies, but further east - MB.

Also looking for the best price out there for an XB1. I hear Shoppers has a good deal on that Gears bundle, but I can't find one anywhere.

Amazon.ca is doing the Xbone S Gears bundle for $379 with COD: IW tossed in. I'm tempted for the media features and because I'd like to play KI and Gears, so I'm also hunting for a good deal. No interest in COD, but I've only seen the standard $379 Gears bundle elsewhere.

Seik

Banned
It doesn't have the peak brightness to do proper HDR, has very high inputag in HDR mode and it's an IPS panel so the contrast ratio sucks.

For reference, you're getting so much more TV with the 850 for $375 more

*stats*

Thanks for the details, but like I said, too pricey. :(

Input lag should not be a problem, I dealt with an LG 47CS570 since 4 years and the input lag is CHAOTIC on this TV...this can only be an upgrade.

Kyolux

If the 960M one is near the same price, it's decently faster, and the Intel CPU that comes with it is better as well

http://www.notebookcheck.net/Mobile-Graphics-Cards-Benchmark-List.844.0.html

Though if she's mainly editing and doing light stuff that's quite a chunker of a budget gaming laptop for it.

Took a look at it.. and yeah, it's a few hundreds more to get to that 960m. Would have been nice, but I don't think it's a requirement for her.

It's already a decent upgrade from her desktop too. (she had 8gb ram, i5 2500, radeon 7850)

Gitaroo

Thanks for the details, but like I said, too pricey. :(

Input lag should not be a problem, I dealt with an LG LG 47CS570 since 4 years and the input lag is CHAOTIC on this TV...this can only be an upgrade.

I would wait for CES 2017 at this point.

Kyolux

Just bought some Crystal Pepsi at the convenience store at work. First I see of it around here. (apparently it was around months ago?)

vulva

My friends' laptops all borked. I don't recommend new Lenovo.

My gf's Lenovo has been going great, just ordered a laptop from them as well. The only suggestion I'd make is to be sure to do a clean OS install once you get it. Otherwise I'm totally happy with them

Kyolux

Anyway you could elaborate? All borked? What model was it?

My gf's Lenovo has been going great, just ordered a laptop from them as well. The only suggestion I'd make is to be sure to do a clean OS install once you get it. Otherwise I'm totally happy with them

Good to hear after Firestorm's warning. I'll make sure to make her a clean install then. I guess they put a ton of crap on it?

LordOfChaos

Eh, anecdote, the problem could always be between the keyboard and chair...

Though the Dell Inspiron 7559 gaming laptop is also similarly specced, priced, and with Dells lower failure rates and better support.

laptop_reliable_most_best_reliability.jpg

Roto13

As long as we're talking about TVs, does anyone have any experience with the LG 50UH5500? Specifically concerning input lag? All Google brings me is arguing about whether it's technically really 4K HDR or not.

I contacted Amazon about not getting 20% off of Pokemon Sun. The rep said she would issue a refund of $8 as an exception. Uhh, okay? Once again, I wasn't able to save the chat transcript, so hopefully my refund actually shows up.

Rbk_3

As long as we're talking about TVs, does anyone have any experience with the LG 50UH5500? Specifically concerning input lag? All Google brings me is arguing about whether it's technically really 4K HDR or not.

God awful, stay away. The Samsung 6270 would be a much better choice.

http://ca.rtings.com/tv/reviews/lg/uh5500

1080p @ 60Hz : 66.0 ms
1080p With Interpolation: 72.0 ms
1080p @ 60Hz Outside Game Mode : 68.8 ms
1080p @ 60Hz @ 4:4:4 : 79.2 ms
4k @ 60Hz : 59.6 ms
4k @ 60Hz @ 4:4:4 : 74.2 ms
4k @ 60Hz + HDR : 56.6 ms
4k @ 60Hz @ 4:4:4 + HDR : 64.2 ms

I would wait for CES 2017 at this point.

Then you're going to be waiting until next fall for prices to drop to where they are today.

vulva

Anyway you could elaborate? All borked? What model was it?

Good to hear after Firestorm's warning. I'll make sure to make her a clean install then. I guess they put a ton of crap on it?

When she got hers (flex 3) it would frequently crash. No issues since the clean install, so our theory is that it was some sort of driver conflict going on. Going in clean seemed to resolve the issues entirely.

Kyolux

When she got hers (flex 3) it would frequently crash. No issues since the clean install, so our theory is that it was some sort of driver conflict going on. Going in clean seemed to resolve the issues entirely.

Thanks. Guess we'll see if it's stable before doing the clean install.

vulva

Thanks. Guess we'll see if it's stable before doing the clean install.

I'd do the clean install regardless. There's not going to be anything pre-loaded on there that you actually need and could avoid issues down the line. Also it removes a bunch of bloat.

Also, unrelated sorta, but I strongly suggest using ninite.com when you set up the laptop with her basic applications. It just saves a lot of time and effort.

Kyolux

I'd do the clean install regardless. There's not going to be anything pre-loaded on there that you actually need and could avoid issues down the line. Also it removes a bunch of bloat.

Well.. she might have almost 2 weeks of use on it by the time I see her depending on when she receives it. (She lives in Montreal, and I'm the Ottawa region) But I guess it shouldn't be too long to make a backup.

Edit.. wow.. ninite is cool. Will make use of it for sure. Might actually use it for myself this week-end. I could use a clean install of win 10.

vulva

Well.. she might have almost 2 weeks of use on it by the time I see her depending on when she receives it. (She lives in Montreal, and I'm the Ottawa region) But I guess it shouldn't be too long to make a backup.

Edit.. wow.. ninite is cool. Will make use of it for sure. Might actually use it for myself this week-end. I could use a clean install of win 10.

Makes sense. Hope it all works out.

Also, ninite is great. First page I visit on a clean install for sure.

Get the Dell. For Lenovo, I'd stick to their Thinkpad line.

This one will be $500. 1080p screen and i5.

https://www.microsoftstore.com/stor...-Signature-Edition-Laptop/productID.333111400

If you want dedicated graphics for gaming/video work, get this one for $1000. 960m, 4K screen. It's $800 in the US.

https://www.microsoftstore.com/stor...-Signature-Edition-Laptop/productID.333361000

EDIT: This one isn't bad either for $670. 13", i5, 1080p screen.

https://www.microsoftstore.com/stor...nature-Edition-2-in-1-PC/productID.5082141700

Seik

Banned
*siiiiigh*

Now I'm looking at my today's favorites, the Samsung KU6300 and the Sony X850D.

http://ca.rtings.com/tv/reviews/sony/x850d
http://ca.rtings.com/tv/reviews/samsung/ku6300

-The X850D seems to have great color range, but black levels are put to shame by Samsung's KU6300 which only does 'fake' HDR. The Black Uniformity comparison makes me want the KU6300... unless it looks less bad on the X850D IRL.

(The grey screen is better on Samsung's TV as well.)

Sony
x850d-uniformity-large.jpg

Samsung
ku6300-uniformity-large.jpg

Now I'm wondering if HDR does a big enough difference for me to go with Sony's IPS panel. There's the fact the Samsung's KU6300 costs a lot less, especially with the BF deal at BB, I'm so torn. Is proper HDR10 worth shelling out 500$ and sacrifice what looks like to be a really better black level?

Madness

*siiiiigh*

Now I'm looking at my today's favorites, the Samsung KU6300 and the Sony X850D.

http://ca.rtings.com/tv/reviews/sony/x850d
http://ca.rtings.com/tv/reviews/samsung/ku6300

-The X850D seems to have great color range, but black levels are put to shame by Samsung's KU6300 which only does 'fake' HDR. The Black Uniformity comparison makes me want the KU6300... unless it looks less bad on the X850D IRL.

(The grey screen is better on Samsung's TV as well.)

Now I'm wondering if HDR does a big enough difference for me to go with Sony's IPS panel. There's the fact the Samsung's KU6300 costs a lot less, especially with the BF deal at BB, I'm so torn.

X850D is an IPS so it is an apples and oranges comparison to VA panels. But the x850D is much much better in terms of HDR. It also has a much better upscaler, the X1 4K upscaler. If your goal is lowest input lag for gaming, the Samsung takes the cake, but if your goal is a much better 4K and HDR experience, the X850D is the better choice.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom