• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Canadian PoliGAF - 42nd Parliament: Sunny Ways in Trudeaupia

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr.Mike

http://existentialcomics.com/comic/9

fallacyMan1.jpg

fallacyMan2.jpg

fallacyMan3.jpg

https://yourlogicalfallacyis.com/the-fallacy-fallacy

Man i try and stay away from all this nonsense but

is antifa like a decentralized movement ala BLM/Occupy with local sects etc, centralized, or a catch all term for those who protest these alt right folk

Kinitari

Black Canada Mafia
Man i try and stay away from all this nonsense but

is antifa like a decentralized movement ala BLM/Occupy with local sects etc, centralized, or a catch all term for those who protest these alt right folk

The latter. They don't even need to call themselves antifa, people will call them antifa if they seem particularly rambunctious.

Like.... I get it, I don't like kids who like to knock over mailboxes in the name of Marxism or whomever either, but I think you'd be hard pressed to find anyone who feels like anything more needs to be done than what is already being done. I think people thoroughly condemn them when they do anything violent or stupid, we collectively still want them held accountable to the law, and we deride them when they say things foolish.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
A Washington Post article was posted above about a similar incident in the States...

I know you plagiarize other people's internet posts often enough that you probably forget [ad hominem!!!!!], but there's no need for the passive voice here. It's not that "an article was posted", you posted it. You have the capability of making your own argument, you don't need to spend your time tone policing other people reacting to someone else's choice to use an openly racist, homophobic 4channer's youtube channel as a source.

But he wasnt then and never will have been, so we aren't.

If the Cons try to play this up, and im sure Scheer will beat this drum mercilessly, see if it works. I don't forsee the Cons suddenly picking up that huge NDP and Liberal disenfranchised bigot/islamaphobe voting block

That's been their strategy since the news first came out, and the CBC link about Scheer's tiny bump (*snicker*) should tell you how it worked.

The lesson the Conservatives seem to have drawn from 2015 is "The Liberals won because they had a younger, fresher leader," rather than "The Liberals won because people were sick of hateful, angry, Harper-style Conservatives." Thus, rather than ditching the latter, they just went for a younger, fresher-looking Harper. I think most people are capable of seeing that the CPC hasn't changed in any meaningful way, and the Conservatives' not-so-thinly-veiled pitch to bigots over Khadr just cemented that.

gabbo

That's been their strategy since the news first came out, and the CBC link about Scheer's tiny bump (*snicker*) should tell you how it worked.

The lesson the Conservatives seem to have drawn from 2015 is "The Liberals won because they had a younger, fresher leader," rather than "The Liberals won because people were sick of hateful, angry, Harper-style Conservatives." Thus, rather than ditching the latter, they just went for a younger, fresher-looking Harper. I think most people are capable of seeing that the CPC hasn't changed in any meaningful way, and the Conservatives' not-so-thinly-veiled pitch to bigots over Khadr just cemented that.

He did give Lietch the boot out of [shadow] cabinet, and that pleases me greatly.
I do agree with just about everything else you said though. I don't believe using Khadr as their dogwhistle is going to help do anything but rile up part of their base

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
I know you plagiarize other people's internet posts often enough that you probably forget [ad hominem!!!!!], but there's no need for the passive voice here. It's not that "an article was posted", you posted it. You have the capability of making your own argument, you don't need to spend your time tone policing other people reacting to someone else's choice to use an openly racist, homophobic 4channer's youtube channel as a source.
On mobile but wasn't Expansion Pack the one who posted the video?
Agreed with the overall point though

Mr.Mike

Chinese ship making first voyage through Canada's Northwest Passage

A Chinese research icebreaker is making its first ever voyage through the Northwest Passage in what one expert believes to be a move to lay the foundations for China to sail cargo ships over the top of Canada.

Canada demands foreign vessels ask permission before sailing through the Northwest Passage, an Arctic route the Canadian government considers internal waters. Foreign Affairs Minister Chrystia Freeland's office said Canada granted its approval on the basis that China was conducting scientific research.

"Canada welcomes navigation in its Arctic waters, provided that ships comply with laws of safety, security and the protection of the environment," press secretary Adam Austen said in a statement to The Globe. "In this case, Canada approved an application from the MV Xue Long to conduct Marine Scientific Research – joined by a team of Canadian scientists who are on board to participate in research activities." He added that a Canadian ice navigator is also aboard to help steer the Snow Dragon safely through the Arctic waters.

The Arctic is a potentially lucrative opportunity where warming temperatures are melting new openings for the movement of goods through waters where Canada has few resources to respond to potential disasters, such as oil spills. Experts in maritime safety say there is no emergency infrastructure in Canada, Russia or U.S. Arctic waters to deal with fuel spills or the breaking up of a vessel. The Arctic region also lacks infrastructure to adequately dispose of bilge water, sewage and solid waste.

Chinese state media have called the Northwest Passage a "golden waterway" for future trade; 90 per cent of China's exports are by ship. China has no Arctic territory but has been attempting to play a larger role in the region, and gained observer status at the Arctic Council in 2013.

The advantage of the Arctic passage is a shorter route allowing Chinese cargo ships to provide faster delivery without having to worry about monsoons in the Indian Ocean, armed pirates or paying fees to pass through the Suez or Panama canals. In early July, Chinese President Xi Jinping and Russian Prime Minister Dmitry Medvedev agreed to explore co-operation on the northern sea route to build a "Silk Road on Ice."

Prof. Huebert said the danger of China's keen interest in shipping goods through the Northwest Passage is the erosion of Canadian sovereignty, particularly since the United States disputes Canada's claims. Washington argues the passage is an international strait that should offer rights of transit passage.

Canada has made a strong international case for its claims to sovereignty in the Northwest Passage, Prof. Huebert said, but he stressed it needs to be backed up by new patrol ships that can operate in the icy waters and better surveillance.

China's Arctic plans fit with a broader effort to disrupt long-standing global trading by pressing its economic might into creating new shortcuts. It is, for example, attempting to remake Silk Road-era corridors for the modern age, sending the first container train from eastern China to Iran last year – a land journey 30 days shorter than by water.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I feel like arctic sovereignty has been a thing since I was in high school when climate change was still a "theory" and the fact that we're still unprepared to defend that sovereignty with a naval presence after all that time is somewhat telling.

I guess we're too busy planting the Canadian flag on Hans Island. lol

Mr.Mike

This should probably be linked here.

[G&M]: Canada ran covert program to give asylum to gay Chechnyans

I feel like arctic sovereignty has been a thing since I was in high school when climate change was still a "theory" and the fact that we're still unprepared to defend that sovereignty with a naval presence after all that time is somewhat telling.

I guess we're too busy planting the Canadian flag on Hans Island. lol

There's like, some patrol ships being constructed.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harry_DeWolf-class_offshore_patrol_vessel

Mr.Mike

Ontario's math curriculum is back in the news. And while I strongly feel that math is taught very poorly, pretty much all the proposed solutions I've seen are wanting to push things in completely the wrong direction.

By all means, continue teaching kids why and how three times five equals 15, but make sure they've got it memorized and can also do simple calculations in their heads. Without a firm grasp of the basics, advanced mathematics becomes impossible. And at this rate, schools are creating a generation of kids who struggle with the basics and probably wouldn't attempt the advanced.

Or quite the contrary, we attempt to teach the advanced while the basics are almost entirely absent from the curriculum. Mostly we just hope to torture students into memorizing by rote various theorems that might be useful later.

Eventually some fraction of students who haven't given up might actually make use of what they've learned. Some fraction of that fraction might even go on to actually learn about the process of math and just how big math really is.

Paul Lockhart is definitely a pure, pure mathematician, but he raises some good points in A Mathematician's Lament.

Sadly, our present system of mathematics education is precisely this kind of nightmare. In
fact, if I had to design a mechanism for the express purpose of destroying a child's natural
curiosity and love of pattern-making, I couldn't possibly do as good a job as is currently being
done— I simply wouldn't have the imagination to come up with the kind of senseless, soulcrushing
ideas that constitute contemporary mathematics education.

Everyone knows that something is wrong. The politicians say, ”we need higher standards."
The schools say, ”we need more money and equipment." Educators say one thing, and teachers say another.
They are all wrong. The only people who understand what is going on are the ones
most often blamed and least often heard: the students. They say, ”math class is stupid and
boring," and they are right.

The cultural problem is a self-perpetuating monster: students learn about math from their
teachers, and teachers learn about it from their teachers, so this lack of understanding and
appreciation for mathematics in our culture replicates itself indefinitely. Worse, the perpetuation
of this ”pseudo-mathematics," this emphasis on the accurate yet mindless manipulation of
symbols, creates its own culture and its own set of values. Those who have become adept at it
derive a great deal of self-esteem from their success. The last thing they want to hear is that
math is really about raw creativity and aesthetic sensitivity. Many a graduate student has come
to grief when they discover, after a decade of being told they were ”good at math," that in fact
they have no real mathematical talent and are just very good at following directions. Math is not
about following directions, it's about making new directions.

And I haven't even mentioned the lack of mathematical criticism in school. At no time are
students let in on the secret that mathematics, like any literature, is created by human beings for
their own amusement; that works of mathematics are subject to critical appraisal; that one can
have and develop mathematical taste. A piece of mathematics is like a poem, and we can ask if
it satisfies our aesthetic criteria: Is this argument sound? Does it make sense? Is it simple and
elegant? Does it get me closer to the heart of the matter? Of course there's no criticism going on
in school— there's no art being done to criticize!

Why don't we want our children to learn to do mathematics? Is it that we don't trust them,
that we think it's too hard? We seem to feel that they are capable of making arguments and
coming to their own conclusions about Napoleon, why not about triangles? I think it's simply
that we as a culture don't know what mathematics is. The impression we are given is of
something very cold and highly technical, that no one could possibly understand— a selffulfilling
prophesy if there ever was one

And perhaps it'd be easy to take this all too far in a silly way, and maybe math people aren't actually the best educators. But it really seems like a lot of the essence of math is missing.

More rote memorization would likely improve test scores, but maybe those test scores are a worthless metric anyway.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Math was taught in such an abstraction that I didn't even realize that Calculus and Physics were related until pretty much the end of my high school career. We were literally just taught formulas and methods of solving formulas without and real consideration to why were supposed to learn any of it.

Prax

Make it more about money or system-gaming and maybe kids will pay attention. lol

I mostly learned by rote and did okay (multiplication tables speed olympics! lol), but yeah, visualizing the application of such things would give kids more incentive to even learn.

Tapejara

Yeah, I was never able to grasp advanced math, which led to me neglecting the subject and now I'm pretty bad at it altogether. I never considered that my struggles with math were due to how it was taught and assumed it was just something I wasn't meant to be good at. Which is a shame because when I was younger I had a huge interest in science subjects like chemistry, physics and astronomy, but ultimately I had to drop those courses because I couldn't grasp the math, there was no way to catch up, and my grades would have suffered if I had stuck with it.

Anyhow, some news for Ontario:

Ontario relaxes rules for ODSP, Ontario Works

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/kitch...pports-for-people-with-disabilities-1.4272062

"Singles receiving ODSP will see their asset limits jump from $5,000 to $40,000, while limits for couples will climb from $7,500 to $50,000.

Individuals using Ontario Works will see those limits quadruple from $2,500 to $10,000, while couples' limits triple from $5,000 to $15,000."

With the previous limits, if a social assistance recipient were to receive an inheritance that would put them over those low thresholds, they would have to isolate the money in a registered disability savings plan or other exempt asset in order to keep receiving monthly aid, Malis explained.

Going over the limit, he said, could result in short or long-term suspension of benefits. If people wanted to access some of those funds for reasons not related to their disability, they would then run afoul of another set of rules -- those governing cash gifts and voluntary payments.

Under the old system, both ODSP and OW recipients were barred from receiving any cash gifts greater than $6,000 over a 12-month period.

This is a very good change.

CazTGG

I was lucky enough to have very entertaining teachers when it came to the more advanced mathematics courses that were required in high school and university but I can understand why people struggle with that and other subjects with equally dry material.

Not sure this is the place to post this but the CBC published this godawful article about Harvey and how it could """save""" Trump's presidency despite literally everything he's done thus far to curb the situation in Harvey: http://www.cbc.ca/news/world/housto...-wall-agenda-political-consequences-1.4272705

CazTGG;247718528Not sure this is the place to post this but the CBC published this godawful article about Harvey and how it could """save""" Trump's presidency despite literally everything he's done thus far to curb the situation in Harvey: [url said:
http://www.cbc.ca/news/world/houston-harvey-trump-border-wall-agenda-political-consequences-1.4272705[/url]

Even before reading the article, I would've guessed it was written by Matt Kwong...and sure enough, it was. He's the guy who gave Milo Yano-whatever an incredibly uncritical interview the same day as Milo was banned from Twitter, and somehow didn't even bring the Twitter ban up. There are probably a couple of worse writers at CBC, but he's definitely up there.

Prax

Yeah, I was never able to grasp advanced math, which led to me neglecting the subject and now I'm pretty bad at it altogether. I never considered that my struggles with math were due to how it was taught and assumed it was just something I wasn't meant to be good at. Which is a shame because when I was younger I had a huge interest in science subjects like chemistry, physics and astronomy, but ultimately I had to drop those courses because I couldn't grasp the math, there was no way to catch up, and my grades would have suffered if I had stuck with it.

Anyhow, some news for Ontario:

Ontario relaxes rules for ODSP, Ontario Works

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/kitch...pports-for-people-with-disabilities-1.4272062

This is a very good change.

Yeah it's good, but apparently it's not enough? It does seem like with asset limits like this, people do stay poor or spend every penny on frivolous things instead of saving up (I was talking to a friend about the situation in the States, which I assume is even worse?).

I'm glad it's happening. Along with the minimum wage increase, but I have no idea if the political cost will bring back the PC with a vengeance (which I would regret even if the Wynne wasn't the greatest lol).

Yeah it's good, but apparently it's not enough? It does seem like with asset limits like this, people do stay poor or spend every penny on frivolous things instead of saving up (I was talking to a friend about the situation in the States, which I assume is even worse?).

Welfare is meant for the poor.
I have 2 daughters who don't work and spend every penny on frivolous things.
One just left with her 4 kids. She's having the girls'nails done for school. Uh.
They should be spending on more important things, but I don't see the point of them saving. Why save for the kids education when they're not expected to contribute a penny?
It's the same for retirement.

Tapejara

I'm glad it's happening. Along with the minimum wage increase, but I have no idea if the political cost will bring back the PC with a vengeance (which I would regret even if the Wynne wasn't the greatest lol).

I'm a basic income proponent so I'm always advocating for more to be done, but ultimately this'll give people who are struggling much more wiggle room. Using the inheritance situation pointed out in the article, if someone received an inheritance of more than $5000 their benefits could be severely reduced. This isn't the biggest issue for someone who has a steady stream of income (you don't need to be unable to work to qualify for ODSP), but if you're unable to work then when that inheritance runs out you'd be back to square one. Better to let people save up so they have some money to fall back on, or just to at least use to improve their quality of life.

CazTGG

Anyone who thought the last election had a sickening amount of xenophobia has no idea how bad it's going to be in the next one. I guarantee that you'll be hearing a lot of Shy Tories™ who are "concerned" about the number of refugees crossing over our border with Scheer using the Reform party's "immigration based on economic needs" dog-whistle while the NDP will be hammering the Trudeau government with the (not unfair) criticism that a significant amount of those people who come here are having their refugees claims being rejected being deported in spite of Trudeau's "Welcome to Canada" tweet.

Also, this is anecdotal, but my more conservative family members have complained about how "those immigrants can find jobs but my own children can't seem to get hired" and how their parents came through legally so why can't "these people" as early as 2016. It's going to get ugly.

We don't have the infrastructure to deal with this.

Oooh, expect this excuse to come up too.

SRG01

Anyone who thought the last election had a sickening amount of xenophobia has no idea how bad it's going to be in the next one. I guarantee that you'll be hearing a lot of Shy Tories™ who are "concerned" about the number of refugees crossing over our border with Scheer using the Reform party's "immigration based on economic needs" dog-whistle while the NDP will be hammering the Trudeau government with the (not unfair) criticism that a significant amount of those people who come here are having their refugees claims being rejected being deported in spite of Trudeau's "Welcome to Canada" tweet.

Also, this is anecdotal, but my more conservative family members have complained about how "those immigrants can find jobs but my own children can't seem to get hired" and how their parents came through legally so why can't "these people" as early as 2016. It's going to get ugly.

The only actual piece of criticism that was even remotely legitimate about the loss of jobs was the original TFW program, and the abuse came from the employers and not the actual workers themselves. :/

Mr.Mike

Canada should welcome up to 30,000 DACA young people facing deportation in U.S., senator says

Canada could gain from the Trump administration's decision to end a program that has allowed young, undocumented immigrants to remain in the United States for years, says Ontario Independent Sen. Ratna Omidvar.

In an interview on CBC News Network's Power & Politics, Omidvar said the program's beneficiaries are precisely the kind of immigrants Canada should be pursuing for its economic migrant program.

"These individuals are low-hanging fruit for us," Omidvar told host Rosemary Barton. "They speak fluent English, they've been educated in the U.S., most of them have been to college or university, some of them have work experience. They understand the North American working culture."

"We know that international students have already been identified by our system as priorities for permanent residency," said Omidvar. "And in truth, we have not done so well in turning an aspiration into a reality because most international students still choose to go back.

"So, here are people who could apply for international student programs. Universities and colleges could come up with some special initiative or special outreach — college-to-college, university-to-university — maybe even a special scholarship program. But over time, they would be top of the line for economic integration," Omidvar added.

While Omidvar is sensitive to the fact that Canada is in the midst of complex trade negotiations with both the U.S. and Mexico (the country of origin for many DACA young people) she says if Canada fails to reach out, other countries could reap the benefits:

"Just as this is an opportunity for Canada, it is also an opportunity for other countries — including source countries of origin like Mexico and other Latin American countries.

"These young people have resiliency. They understand how the American system works. They understand American insecurities and securities. And if their personal safety can be guaranteed in source countries, maybe this is the new elite that will participate in nation building in those countries which their parents left, 20-plus years ago."

Larry Smith, the Conservative leader in the Senate, declined to comment.

https://www.thestar.com/news/canada...ticking-points-remain-negotiators-report.html
‘Important progress' at NAFTA talks, ministers say
Canada, the U.S. and Mexico put a positive spin Tuesday on what sources say was a tough five-day round of negotiations to rewrite North American free trade rules.
==
back in Quebec opposition party stupidty: the leader of PQ is afraid of losing the right flank from the CAQ and says that Quebec needs to become independant to be able to control its border from illegals.
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/montr...ereignty-ahead-of-leadership-review-1.4275671
"By being independent, Quebec will have its borders respected," Lisée added. "Asylum seekers will go through the normal border crossings."

Than he goes extend Bill 101 for CEGEPS (junior college), LOL
Lisée said a PQ government would curtail funding for English CEGEPS, ending their "open bar" access to government funds. He also promised that an independent Quebec would impose tougher border controls.

what do you expect from Parizeau's former speech writer. Fuck the PQ

(*PQ polls in 3rd place FYI)

Mr.Mike

Loonie jumps to highest level in 2 years as Bank of Canada raises benchmark interest rate again

The Bank of Canada raised its benchmark interest rate by a quarter of a point to one per cent on Wednesday.
It's the second time this year that the central bank has upped the rate, after hiking it for the first time in seven years in July.
The central bank's rate has an impact on lending rates that consumers and savers get from banks on mortgages, lines of credits, savings accounts and other financial vehicles.
The bank's rate — officially known as the target for the overnight rate — is now back to where it was at the start of 2015, when the central bank started slashing rates to stimulate a Canadian economy that had been waylaid by the oil price crash.
The Canadian dollar gained more than a penny in reaction to the news on Wednesday, and was changing hands at 82 cents US — the loonie's highest level since June 2015.
Economists and currency traders had been expecting the bank to hike its rate at some point this year, but that timeline was moved up in recent weeks after a series of data points showed the Canadian economy was starting to heat up.
Last Thursday, Statistics Canada reported the Canadian economy had its strongest first half to the year since 2002, which the bank alluded to in its statement.
"Recent economic data have been stronger than expected, supporting the bank's view that growth in Canada is becoming more broadly-based and self-sustaining," the bank said.
"The level of GDP is now higher than the bank had expected."
While the bank's statement was careful to manage expectations of more rate hikes to come, stressing that "monetary policy decisions are not predetermined and will be guided by incoming economic data," currency traders weren't taking quite such a cautious tone, and were quickly ramping up their expectations of even more rate hikes to come.
Within minutes of the central bank's decision, currency swap contracts were giving 75 per cent likelihood of another rate hike after the bank meets next month.
"The market isn't really listening to that," Bank of Montreal economist Doug Porter said, referring to the bank's attempts to pour water on expectations of more hikes to come. "Given today's abrupt hike, with no prior communication since the previous meeting, and the bank's seeming care-free stance on the soaring Canadian dollar, we can't rule out anything in coming meetings."
"Markets now expect the Bank of Canada to outpace its southern counterpart in raising rates, tightening policy twice more by the end of next year," said Karl Schamotta, director of global product and market strategy at Cambridge Global Payments.

Mr.Mike

Moroun scores long-awaited Canadian approval to build twin span

The Ambassador Bridge has received federal cabinet approval in Canada to build a new span between Windsor and Detroit, it announced Wednesday.

The approval is the final major hurdle Ambassador Bridge owner Matty Moroun needed to clear to construct a new six-lane span to replace the existing one and compete with a yet-to-be-built publicly owned bridge.

The go-ahead comes with a long list of conditions, which include acquiring certain properties in the area and demolishing the existing bridge within five years of the replacement span opening to traffic.

For years, the Ambassador Bridge has been planning and purchasing property on the city’s west end for a new six-lane Detroit River crossing just metres to the west of the existing 87-year old span.

All major permits for the project were issued in recent years, except for an order-in-council — approval from the federal cabinet.

That permission was granted unceremoniously in Ottawa on Wednesday, according to the bridge company.

The second span is controversial in Windsor because of its proximity to thousands of residents on the city’s west side.

In the 1990s, the bridge company started buying and boarding up homes on nearby residential streets — primarily Indian Road. It now owns more than 120 properties, most of which are dilapidated.

The City of Windsor ordered the Morouns to repair the homes. They have fought the issue all the way to Canada’s Supreme Court.

Mayor Drew Dilkens said he was given a heads-up in recent days by federal Transport Minister Marc Garneau that cabinet would approve construction of a new Ambassador Bridge to replace the existing one.

Bridge watchdog and Sandwich Street bake shop owner Mary Ann Cuderman called the federal government’s approval of the new span “devastating news” for her community, which sits in the shadows of the bridge.

“This is just awful,” she said. “To have this happen to Sandwich is just unconscionable This area has fought for so long. You might as well just cut off this community and let us float down the river to see if we can find a better spot to be.”

Cuderman is worried hazardous goods, banned on the current bridge, will be allowed on the new span.

The Windsor-Essex Regional Chamber of Commerce embraced the announcement, saying it wants as much new infrastructure as possible at the Windsor-Detroit border — North America’s busiest trade crossing.

“From the business community’s perspective it’s welcome news to get certainty on at least one of the two (bridge) projects moving forward,” said Matt Marchand, the chamber’s CEO.

“I am not really surprised. This project has been on the books for a number of years and approval was going to come sooner or later. We not only need both bridges, but the rail tunnel, as well. We need everything updated and completed, so this is a step in the right direction.”

Late last month, the Windsor-Detroit Bridge Authority announced the selection of a contractor to build the new publicly owned crossing — to be called the Gordie Howe International Bridge — has been delayed. It wants to have a contractor picked by late 2018.

Several more months in 2019 will be needed for a fairness monitor to verify the process was carried out properly. Then the bridge authority has to negotiate a final contract with the winning bidder and workers will have to be hired before construction can start.

That pushes the anticipated completion date back to early 2023, as it is estimated construction will take at least 42 months.

Conditions of approval

These are some of the conditions the Ambassador Bridge must meet as part of the approval it received from the Canadian government to build a new span:

— Tear down the current bridge within five years of the replacement span opening to traffic.

— Acquire a stretch of Huron Church Road between College Avenue and Wyandotte Street. A new local road providing the same north-south traffic access must be constructed nearby.

— Build a new new west-end fire hall somewhere in the area bordered by Prince Road, Peter Street, Brock Street and Felix Avenue to replace the one on College Avenue.

— Complete construction of the twin span within five years, plus complete a new Canada Customs facility that meets all security standards before the new span will be allowed to open.

— Demolish all Indian Road and other nearby buildings within the new span’s corridor and maintain as parkland an area between Wyandotte Street and Riverside Drive.

The detailed list of conditions is on Transport Canada’s website.

So votes will be split between Liberal and NDP and Scheer will come sailing in. Where have I heard this story before?

gabbo

It's going to be interesting to see how the ongoing NAFTA negotiations affect the currently strengthening dollar, assuming any agreement(s) are made between Canada, Mexico and the U.S.

Did the dollar tank when the original was being negotiated?

SRG01

I can't believe there's so much bellyaching with the proposed tax changes to self incorporation. So much fear mongering about how it will cripple the health care system (it won't) and how it will hurt small businesses (it won't, either).

Dr.Guru of Peru

played the long game
I can't believe there's so much bellyaching with the proposed tax changes to self incorporation. So much fear mongering about how it will cripple the health care system (it won't) and how it will hurt small businesses (it won't, either).

Care to elaborate?

Oooh, expect this excuse to come up too.

it is already a daily reality on the Provincial scene gearing for 2018's Quebec Election.

I think there is allot of confusion between war refugees and the ones crossing from the US caused by massive "alt-facts".

I have no problem with people debating on separate components based on truth but I do have a major problem with disinformation campaigns, fake news spinning on real facts on the part of the Parti Québecois and the CAQ who are using demagoguery to stir up votes instead of real facts.

SRG01

Care to elaborate?

In short, corporate tax rates are much lower than personal income tax rates. By incorporating yourself while earning higher incomes, a redistribution of the earned income through the corporation is much more tax advantageous than through personal income tax.

The (supposed) problem is that many high-earning professionals such as doctors use these tax structures to get away with a lower tax bill, and that higher taxes will lead to less doctors in the country. The counter-argument is that doctors already have incomes significantly higher than the average Canadian, and that paying lower income taxes than the lower tax brackets is deeply unfair.

Small businesses are similar in that regard.

Dr.Guru of Peru

played the long game
In short, corporate tax rates are much lower than personal income tax rates. By incorporating yourself while earning higher incomes, a redistribution of the earned income through the corporation is much more tax advantageous than through personal income tax.

The (supposed) problem is that many high-earning professionals such as doctors use these tax structures to get away with a lower tax bill, and that higher taxes will lead to less doctors in the country. The counter-argument is that doctors already have incomes significantly higher than the average Canadian, and that paying lower income taxes than the lower tax brackets is deeply unfair.

Small businesses are similar in that regard.

The counter argument to that is MDs are small business operators, and that the ability to incorporate was a negotiated benefit in lieu of increased fees or a doctors pension plan. Any money you take out of the corporation is taxed at the personal income tax rate. Everything else remains within the corporation and can only be used for business related expenses, such as pension plans.

I agree that income splitting needs to be looked at, but removing physician's ability to invest in their retirement is an extremely unfair and short sighted move.

The counter argument to that is doctors officers are small businesses, and that the ability to incorporate was a negotiated benefit in lieu of increased fees or a doctors pension plan. Any money you take out of the corporation is taxed at the personal income tax rate. Everything else remains within the corporation and can only be used for business related expenses, such as pension plans.

I agree that income splitting needs to be looked at, but removing physician's ability to invest in their retirement is an extremely unfair and short sighted move.

There is nothing stopping physicians from investing in their own retirement, just like lawyers or other professionals do. If the College of Doctors wanted to start a group pension plan that's their business, not the states.

Money 'left over' to the corporation can easily be used to supplement personal income, especially if your practice is in your house for example, or to pay for your vehicles, phone bills, etc.

There's nothing wrong with bringing corporate tax laws for small corporations more in line with what small proprietorships deal with.

Dr.Guru of Peru

played the long game
There is nothing stopping physicians from investing in their own retirement, just like lawyers or other professionals do. If the College of Doctors wanted to start a group pension plan that's their business, not the states.

Money 'left over' to the corporation can easily be used to supplement personal income, especially if your practice is in your house for example, or to pay for your vehicles, phone bills, etc.

There's nothing wrong with bringing corporate tax laws for small corporations more in line with what small proprietorships deal with.

It was my understanding that lawyers and other professionals also benefit from deferring income through their corporation.

The College of Physicians is a regulatory body that has no say in physician compensation. You might be referring to various provincial medical associations - as mentioned, the ability to incorporate was a negotiated between medical associations and provinces as a means to avoid a physician fee increases and a pension plan in the 1990s. If this is no longer tenable, this will have to be readdressed in future negotiations. When our fees are set by the government, there is an expectation that the state be involved in matters regarding our remuneration and benefits.

Items like work phones, office space, and company vehicles are generally not considered taxable benefits for employees. Don't see why this should change in medical corporations.

I feel like DREAMers are exactly the kind of people we should be working to attract: young, educated, no criminal records, already integrated into a society that isn't drastically different from ours. Not to suggest we shouldn't take refugees from anywhere else, but outside of a scenario where people from England start fleeing a post-Brexit UK, I can't think of a group of potential refugees who'd fit into Canada more easily.

Seriously. It feels like a lot of whining from a specific group of very rich people who are upset that loopholes like this:

Are suddenly being closed, and that they'll have to pay tax on their income like the rest of us. I don't always agree with Andrew Coyne, but I feel like he encapsulates the issue pretty well here:

among the early propaganda triumphs in the whole controversy is the notion that the measures in question are in fact aimed at these two groups. Vast clouds of steamy rhetoric have been exhaled on impassioned tributes to their value to the economy, the hardships they endure, and so on, followed by righteous fury at the manifest injustice of requiring them to pay the same tax as others earning the same or less income.

But it isn't about them: it's about incorporation. The changes do not target small business, or doctors, as such: only those who turn themselves into corporations. It is only the small business owner or doctor who incorporates who benefits from the special lower tax rate that applies to small businesses, and it is only those small private corporations whose privileged tax status the government proposes to trim, to whatever small extent.
There are lots of good reasons why someone might wish to incorporate. There is no good reason why the tax system should, in effect, pay them to do so.

It was my understanding that lawyers and other professionals also benefit from deferring income through their corporation.

There are lots of benefits from incorporating. A lower tax rate should not be one. (As Andrew Coyne said)

The College of Physicians is a regulatory body that has no say in physician compensation. You might be referring to various provincial medical associations - as mentioned, the ability to incorporate was a negotiated between medical associations and provinces as a means to avoid a physician fee increases and a pension plan in the 1990s. If this is no longer tenable, this will have to be readdressed in future negotiations. When our fees are set by the government, there is an expectation that the state be involved in matters regarding our remuneration and benefits.

I pay my plumber directly. That doesn't mean I need be involved in his benefit package or retirement fund. My wife's clients who pay her aren't involved in our financial planning. Everyone gets money from somewhere and has outside forces determine what their services are worth.

Items like work phones, office space, and company vehicles are generally not considered taxable benefits for employees. Don't see why this should change in medical corporations.

It's not just medical corporations that are getting brought in line, it's any small corporation. This affects me too but just because I benefit from a tax loophole doesn't mean said loophole is a good thing that ought to exist.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom