• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CDPR would love Xbox One+PS4 cross play for Gwent, just waiting on Sony

Kayant

Yeah, I get it, but if they truly weren't just trying to take advantage of a PR win previously when they spoke about it (like MS is doing now - let's face it, that is the only reason any of this is going public now that MS has agreed) it would seem that they should have already had their policies well worked out in the chance that MS would agree once they began goading them publicly.

Just seems weird to not have drawn this stuff up prior to going public if they were serious.
Why would that be the case given MS where still at the time limiting cross play to Win Store games/Xbox and as said by Psyonix

It was only MS/Psyonix that knew about this before it was announced.

brawly

I bought Rocket League on Xbox One a week ago, eventhough I have it on PS4, because Sony is stalling. What's the fucking hold up.

_SAKY_

Does Sony even have a reason to do this? Isn't this like giving up the advantage of a larger userbase in competitive games? They would basically be giving xbox access to a larger playerbase which can be considered a selling point of their own console.

By allowing cross-platform play wouldn't they then ALSO be giving players access to the largest player user base which could be considered a selling point?

SOR5

They called Sony out. Rather crassly to boot.

rrr.gif

DigitalScrap said:
But you're right - PC is filled with cheaters

I must be playing the wrong games.
(Admittedly I don't do AAA shooters)

Yeah, those tend to be the main targets for cheaters, but there is plenty of hacking/cheating done on other game types as well. I've never understood why people do it (seems like it would take the fun out of a competitive game, but that's just me).

It is good to see more companies aggressively coming down on the practice (Blizzard with Overwatch as an example).

They really said anyone else and yes that includes Sony...but Nintendo is also there. It's not like they came out and said "HERE SONY!"...how it was said wasn't anything bad. The people of these message boards made it more than what it was. But that's my opinion.

People seeing their announcement as goading Sony is... odd. (Unless I've missed something that was said.) Shows the state of mind some people have when it comes to this kind of thing between hardware manufacturers.

What is wrong with you people?

We're finally at the time where crossplay between consoles is close to reality, something that will unite tons of gamers to have fun playing with each other, and yet here we are bickering about narratives and who wanted to do this first and blah blah fanboy nonsense.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
All MS have done is say "alright were up for it, send us a message"

Psyonix and CDPR are the ones who have been disclosing the negotiations as they are lol

Hahaha, you make them sound so innocent.

Microsoft saw how long and complex it was to get their policies in the place for this, and came out on stage in front of the internet gamers (the majority paying attention to those PR announcements), and 'called out' Sony, without having the business decency to contact them first saying, 'Hey, this is what we want to do. We want to have cross-play which includes you, so lets get this to work for the gamers.', instead announced they are allowing it on all platforms and consoles, without even telling console platform holders first.

Are MSFT execs in highs school? They can't pick up the phone, you know, for the gamers and do a business handshake like adults and shit?

They knew the PR internet fighting it would cause for however long it takes to draw up policies, be it legal, etc..

People seeing their announcement as goading Sony is... odd. (Unless I've missed something that was said.) Shows the state of mind some people have when it comes to this kind of thing between hardware manufacturers.

You don't announce "we are bringing cross play to all platform and consoles" without at least having the decency to contact said consoles first knowing the policies and procedures that needs to be done.

But hey, it's a PR win, and that is what MSFT has been leading with this gen.

kennyamr

should I repost my other post from that other thread?
And again the next time a new thread like this appears?
hmmm.. I gotta check the rules again.
oh well, here it is again, I guess:

Sony has no reason to do it so I don't see this happening.
I'm not against it, I'm just trying to predict the outcome.
I'll be surprised if Sony gives in and allows it but it could happen anyway.

Sony has the biggest console player base, and they use that to attract most customers towards the PS4. That is one of the current strengths of the PS4.
For example:
If your friend has a PS4, you are more inclined to buy a PS4 to play online with him, if there were no barriers, that upper-hand Sony has would banish and it wouldn't matter if you get an Xbox or PS4.

Of course this would help Microsoft a lot while hurt Sony's sales in some way.
I don't see any benefits that will help Sony in any way so I don't think it will happen.

And if you think it's only 1 game, think twice. This would open the floodgates to many more companies asking for the same treatment, and helped of course by a public campaign led by Microsoft for obvious reasons.

Yeah, I get it, but if they truly weren't just trying to take advantage of a PR win previously when they spoke about it (like MS is doing now - let's face it, that is the only reason any of this is going public now that MS has agreed) it would seem that they should have already had their policies well worked out in the chance that MS would agree once they began goading them publicly.

Just seems weird to not have drawn this stuff up prior to going public if they were serious.

Why on earth would they go through the effort working out these policies well in advance of something that never looked like it would happen until just a few months ago? It'd be a complete waste of time, especially since they'd need to revise them based on what Microsoft's doing anyway.

Suddenly Sony has got many balls in their court I bet.

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE get it up and running for FIFA, Battlefield 1, and Infinite Warfare + Modern Warfare Remastered.

It's not happening for Fifa, BF 1 or COD.

These games have exclusive content for specific formats. FIFA has legends exclusively on Xbox one. So it is a no go for cross platform.

For the whooping 7 or 8 multiplatform games it gets before third parties move on to greener pastures like usual?

I'm sure this will happen eventually, Sony have been doing it for years with PC, they just haven't had the benefit of prepping cross-console support in the background like Microsoft have.

Gotta say, I can't help but roll my eyes at CDPR going public with this though, given Gwent's Xbone timed exclusivity.

What timed exclusivity? The game is launching on all three platforms same day. It's the beta that's coming to PC and Xbox first.

RedAssedApe

Banned
Can you actually party up with and invite cross platform players on Rocket League? While it would be nice to expand the overall player base unless you can do that this feature won't matter much to me. Hopefully that day is coming soon considering how little difference there is between hardware these days.

same here. most of my friends who still play this are on pc but i only game on ps4.

no cross-party platform party support as of yet.

SOR5

Microsoft saw how long and complex it was to get their policies in the place for this, and came out on stage in front of the internet gamers (the majority paying attention to those PR announcements), and 'called out' Sony, without having the business decency to contact them first saying, 'Hey, this is what we want to do. We want to have cross-play which includes you, so lets get this to work for the gamers.', instead announced they are allowing it on all platforms and consoles, without even telling console platform holders first.

Are MSFT execs in highs school? They can't pick up the phone, you know, for the gamers and do a business handshake like adults and shit?

They knew the PR internet fighting it would cause for however long it takes to draw up policies, be it legal, etc..

22137-ballincourt.png

watdaeff4

You don't announce "we are bringing cross play to all platform and consoles" without at least having the decency to contact said consoles first knowing the policies and procedures that needs to be done.

So do you think Sony was always open to it? Didn't they say a long time ago they were? If so, why not have everything in place?

jaypah

They really said anyone else and yes that includes Sony...but Nintendo is also there. It's not like they came out and said "HERE SONY!"...how it was said wasn't anything bad. The people of these message boards made it more than what it was. But that's my opinion.

I was just joking. The whole damn thing is blown out of proportion, from MS calling Sony out to Sony dragging their feet. MS didn't call them out and Sony is a large company so they need time to go through stuff. They already said they were open to the idea so I expect them to do it at some point on their schedule. But this topic allows the Warriors to come out and play so...drama.

Maybe they were worried about leaks? Understandable. But yeah, I am actually a little surprised MS didn't give Sony a heads-up on this. (Maybe they did and didn't hear back?)

People doubting Sony's intentions on this... I dunno. I mean, granted cross-network play between different makes of console would be a new step, but Sony have been open to cross-platform play since 2002. Surely that's enough to prove their intent regarding the feature?

Ketaya

Honestly, Microsoft has put themselves in a comfortable position right now. They publicly only said "We're now allowing cross-play" without any further details. We don't know how much devs are allowed to talk about these details.
Sony now has to answer. If they take to long people will complain that they are holding it back. And if they end up saying no for whatever reason they are the bad guys.

For all we know MS could have some unreasonable requirement that Sony cannot follow, even if they want to allow cross-play. I'm not saying there is, of couse, that would just be some worst case.

Sony will probably allow it, but they will need some time.

So do you think Sony was always open to it? Didn't they say a long time ago they were? If so, why not have everything in place?

Honestly, I wouldn't expect them to have an action plan for a theoretical possibility that, I think we can all agree, had a very small chance of happening. Especially considering the technical details this would entail. I'd give Sony the benefit of the doubt on this one.

That said, it would be nice if they could at least give a statement like "Hey, we're working on it". Maybe they have and I missed it though.

Osukaa

should I repost my other post again from that other thread?
And again the next time a new thread appears?
hmmm.. I gotta check the rules again.
oh well, here it is again, I guess:

Originally Posted by kennyamr

Sony has no reason to do it so I don't see this happening.
I'm not against it, I'm just trying to predict the outcome.
I'll be surprised if Sony gives in and allows it but it could happen anyway.

Sony has the biggest console player base, and they use that to attract most customers towards the PS4. That is one of the current strengths of the PS4.
For example:
If your friend has a PS4, you are more inclined to buy a PS4 to play online with him, if there were no barriers, that upper-hand Sony has would banish and it wouldn't matter if you get an Xbox or PS4.

Of course this would help Microsoft a lot while hurt Sony's sales in some way.
I don't see any benefits that will help Sony in any way so I don't think it will happen.

And if you think it's only 1 game, think twice. This would open the floodgates to many more companies asking for the same treatment, and helped of course by a public campaign led by Microsoft for obvious reasons.

This guy gets it !00% Sony has no need to do this there's no point. They gain nothing from this. This is a can of worms they should and most likely will just ignore. There might be a 1% chance this could happen though.. Had to throw that in so I dont eat crow if it does =P (Detective GAF dont mess around)

I think I quoted you on the previous thread to LOL

Noobcraft

Lol. Do you know something the rest of us don't or are you making up some sort of narrative to make Sony's apparent unwillingness to open up seem ok?

"Business decency, business handshake" lol.

SOR5

Great response.

Looklooklook

Okay, is it PR? Well yeah it is. It is PR, they put it out there like every single big change they make, they publish it on their blog. But the negative tiny, insignificant implications upon Sony are a side-effect. Sony said they were up for it. Sony were quite adamant they were up for it. If you believe it was Microsoft 'calling their bluff' or something, wouldnt that mean Sony hasnt been truthful with being open to XBL? If Sony were being truthful (as I believe they were) wouldnt that just be good for us as consumers?

Or is it okay for Sony to ignore any handshakes in their position just like Microsoft denied any handshakes last gen in their position?

Either way

b6d653e55a2a763cc597c0abb7184e41.jpg

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Of course if MS know Sony won't do it, it's very easy for the to say *they* will, even if they don't really want to

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Maybe they were worried about leaks? Understandable. But yeah, I am actually a little surprised MS didn't give Sony a heads-up on this. (Maybe they did and didn't hear back?)

People doubting Sony's intentions on this... I dunno. I mean, granted cross-network play between different makes of console would be a new step, but Sony have been open to cross-platform play since 2002. Surely that's enough to prove their intent regarding the feature?

That is my takeaway.

These things take time in a more complex world.

Hell, even MSFT's is not perfect with the issues FF14 is STILL facing.

Honestly, Microsoft has put themselves in a comfortable position right now. They publicly only said "We're now allowing cross-play" without any further details. We don't know how much devs are allowed to talk about these details.
Sony now has to answer. If they take to long people will complain that they are holding it back. And if they end up saying no for whatever reason they are the bad guys.

For all we know MS could have some unreasonable requirement that Sony cannot follow, even if they want to allow cross-play. I'm not saying there is, of couse, that would just be some worst case.

Sony will probably allow it, but they will need some time.

What's gonna happen if this occurs? I honestly cannot see it being a huge issue because it never seemed to harm MS, so why would it harm Sony? Because it'll make a sham of their 4ThePlayers slogan?

Kayant

You only need to look at the PS3/PC, PS4/PC cross-play games to know they are "open" to the idea of cross-play.

Console cross-play was not something on the table before it was announced by MS so it doesn't make much sense to have policies in place for something unknown and hadn't been a thing for years!

Well.. the fact Sony hasnt told them or the rocket league people "no" yet is probably a good sign.

Got to wonder what clauses MS has that allow some games to have cross play but not others like MMO's judging comments from the DCUO and FF14 devs.

A true cross platform MMO on consoles would be great because MMOs on console with zero cross play end up ghost towns after 2 months.

So I guess we are just assuming that Sony called MS and did the adult thing before saying that MS wouldn't do it? That only the MS execs are in "high school" and that the Sony execs are at the very least in college, if not adult professionals?

You are saying that you know that Sony, had the business decency to contact them first saying, 'Hey, this is what we want to do. We want to have cross-play which includes you, so lets get this to work 4theplayers.'?

Let's face it, they both were/are using this for PR - it's the way it usually is.

I'm just glad that it is finally coming (even though I play online on both already, it will be great to have more people available at any given time on either platform).

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
So I guess we are just assuming that Sony called MS and did the adult thing before saying that MS wouldn't do it? That only the MS execs are in "high school" and that the Sony execs are at the very least in college, if not adult professionals?

You are saying that you know that Sony, had the business decency to contact them first saying, 'Hey, this is what we want to do. We want to have cross-play which includes you, so lets get this to work 4theplayers.'?

Let's face it, they both were/are using this for PR - it's the way it usually is.

I'm just glad that it is finally coming (even though I play online on both already, it will be great to have more people available at any given time on either platform).

It was not Sony saying MSFT would not do it. It was countless other developers.

The very first thing that popped in my head when MSFT announced they were doing this was, 'great', then when they said 'even across consoles', I said, 'now why would you not contact them first before making those claims'. Then I remembered how they PR.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Has Sony weighed in on this at all since MS had started talking about it?

All we have at this time...

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/sony-responds-to-microsofts-invite-to-connect-xbox/1100-6435688/

"PlayStation has been supporting cross-platform play between PC on several software titles starting with Final Fantasy 11 on PS2 and PC back in 2002,” reads the statement from the corporation.

“We would be happy to have the conversation with any publishers or developers who are interested in cross platform play."

Shuhei Yoshida on cross-platform play

That's an interesting question. In terms of PC/PS4 or PC/PS3 cross-play connectivity, we've been doing this for many years. On PS4 alone, there are five or six games where you can play with PC players and PS4 players. We are doing this. In terms of other consoles, we have to talk with developers and publishers who might suggest that, and discuss the technical aspects, policy aspects, and business aspects. All of these kind of things.

Unless there was something newer.

The Rocket League devs also said they understand Sony has to review policies, and how it effects other games, etc., that it takes time to set up on their end. Again, something MSFT knew. 'Takes time to set up.'

Ketaya

What's gonna happen if this occurs? I honestly cannot see it being a huge issue because it never seemed to harm MS, so why would it harm Sony? Because it'll make a sham of their 4ThePlayers slogan?

I don't think it would harm Sony in any big way, but it's negative press nevertheless.
And cross-play never really was a big topic before, but I feel it has gotten more attention in gaming press and the community since MS announced their plans. Maybe that's just my subjective view though.

Do I see people taking issue with CDPR here? If we're to assume they're telling the truth, and they've never given me a reason to think they wouldn't, then this is a simple, straightforward, transparent response that lays down the facts without editorializing or offering judgment.

This is exactly the kind of honesty I value from certain developers.

I mean, look at this:

Our upcoming Gwent: The Witcher Card Game will launch in closed beta for PC and Xbox One later this year, and Microsoft already confirmed Gwent's cross-play feature not only between Xbox One and PC, but also other consoles if they allow it. We also do have a technical solution in place for PS4 and would love to add Sony’s platform to cross-play at the start of open beta. All we need is a green light from Sony.

What is wrong with this? I saw "crass," somewhere. This is crass?

krang

MS remove a restriction that gamers have been keen to see go for a long time, and yet they're the bad guy for not letting poor Sony know behind closed doors first?

That's quite the spin. MS-tier spin.

Are you also upset they didn't call Google, Apple, Nintendo or anyone else who might have a shared game, no matter how small, first before announcing this ability? Come on.

Warablo

In terms of the hurdles MMO cross play would serve to game devs. Microsoft, I think requires filters in terms of PC/Xb1. So I would assume that would be difficult to work out in a MMO.

If you want to play on someone ele's network, and get this going... I would think the respectable thing to do is ask them. They know this takes time to set up.

But hey, you are right, MSFT does have Tier-spin PR.

Didn't they say at the start of the year or earlier that they are allowing cross-play? I am sure developers gave them notice too.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
MS remove a restriction that gamers have been keen to see go for a long time, and yet they're the bad guy for not letting poor Sony know behind closed doors first?

That's quite the spin. MS-tier spin.

Are you also upset they didn't call Google, Apple, Nintendo or anyone else who might have a shared game, no matter how small, first before announcing this ability? Come on.

If you want to play on someone ele's network, and get this going... I would think the respectable thing to do is ask them. They know this takes time to set up.

etta

my hard graphic balls
I want Sony to say no. CDPR has always been in Microsoft's corner, they don't need special favors.

Haha, oh man. Such interesting take on the matters at hand.

How do you know they didn't ask them?

Talax

By allowing cross-platform play wouldn't they then ALSO be giving players access to the largest player user base which could be considered a selling point?
Yes but they also give that exact same advantage to the other console:
Situation Accept cross play: Both consoles get access to about 60-70 million userbase while Sony loses the advantage of convincing an XB1 player to switch to PS4 due to higher install base leading to larger online population.
Situation Reject cross play: Sony still touts a 45 million install base which results in greater software sales as well as ability to entice the competition's install base to switch, while bearing negative goodwill of not allowing cross play which I believe isn't a big deal for them at this point as this seems like a nonissue for most gamers (imo)

(sales no. Are approximate from what I mostly remember last I checked)

Top Bottom