• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Charlie Hebdo cartoon on Italy earthquake sparks anger

Status
Not open for further replies.

Auto_aim1

MeisaMcCaffrey
Would they draw something like this if their children or family members were victims of an earthquake? That's why it's tasteless and offensive as well. Although, they have every right to draw unfunny shit like this and people have every right to be disgusted at them. All I can do is smh.

UrbanRats

Preach.

Loving the responses in this thread. Can't have it both ways folks, everything's fair game for CH!

What are you loving? People complain every time a thread about one of their jokes gets posted.
Personally i think they should keep doing what they are doing though, i just wish the joke in the OP was more biting, cutting a little deeper.

Frost_Ace

Italian here. It's their right to say anything they want but yeah, this was just not funny to me and I say this as a fan of dark humor.

G.ZZZ

That's not the same thing, being satirical and hateful are two different things...

we know the mafia kept all the money but if they wanted to be satirical about it, they should have drawn a mafia dude with all the money in this pocket or else, they failed to deliver the message here.

It's not about organized crime, it's about normal people who don't care. From local administrators, to public workers, to the very last common citizen that turn an eye when he see working sites going up for years and no one ever working there because "it's how it works in this country". No one give a shit in this country about the good of the whole.

It's related to the fact that many of the buildings that collapsed were certified to be "earthquake proof" with quite expensive restructuring jobs paid from the state. Turned out those were all fake, in classic italian fashion, and were fake jobs just there to steal some money from the state.

Basically, italians are shit and don't care about anything except their own money and will steal at every opportunity , even if this mean to kill hundred of people because their buildings are supposedly "earthquake proof".

In fact. They don't satirize on the victims, but on those who criminally looted and built bad.

G.ZZZ

I'm out of this topic it's so fucking infuriating. Always the same facebook-like posts, no one that ever want to actually look at things and self-criticize. No wonder satire is dead.

KDR_11k

Since we don't have the magazine here, is it basically for edgelords or are there any actual jokes or critique in there? Sounds like we gave them too much credit when we assumed the Mohammed stuff was about protesting the prohibition of images?

It's not about organized crime, it's about normal people who don't care. From local administrators, to public workers, to the very last common citizen that turn an eye when he see working sites going up for years and no one ever working there because "it's how it works in this country". No one give a shit in this country about the good of the whole.

Either way it's not about "lol pancake".

This is like getting mad at ice for being cold. This is their entire MO. Make some edgy try hard thing for controversy.

If you really dislike them, ignoring them is the worst thing you could do to them.

This is like getting mad at ice for being cold. This is their entire MO. Make some edgy try hard thing for controversy.

If you really dislike them, ignoring them is the worst thing you could do to them.

Not really since they never gave a fuck about what people feel or don't about them.

Jebusman

Banned
I'm out of this topic it's so fucking infuriating. Always the same facebook-like posts, no one that ever want to actually look at things and self-criticize. No wonder satire is dead.

Admittedly this has been one of the least clear bits of satire out of Charlie in awhile. Typically their shock humor is a little more on the nose about it, to the point that someone like me (A Canadian) can parse the intent despite not being well versed in the day to day politics of France/Europe as a whole.

This is one of those "the only people who might understand this are Italians, and they're already too riled up to look at anything beyond it's face value", so I can understand why literally everyone else is wondering "What the fuck?"

I don't think CH is going to nail it every time (as people on this forum would gladly tell you every opportunity they get, although they're more of the opinion that CH is successful approximately 0% of the time), and this one just seems like a poor attempt at a subject that no one in their typical target audience would actually understand.

IvanJ

Banned
It is terrible what happened to them last year, nobody deserves tbeir life taken no matter what they say or do.

But that doesn't justify the others being complete assholes, making tasteless and unfunny "jokes". It's a disgusting way to seek attention.

And the world is once again "outraged" for a few hours at a small magazine they quickly see on their Twitter timeline.

Don't buy it. It's not hateful, it's not racist. You just might find it tasteless. And well, all the support for them earlier was about their right to offend people. So don't pick and chose with that.

Of course the people also have a right to say they think it is bad, but I don't really see the point in that also.

Aurongel

ITT: folks who were aware that Charlie Hebdo was kinda always pure schlock.

Offending people and producing really crude and vile satire is what they do. If you find it personally offensive then don't buy it.

HPX

Just horrible, like always with them. Freedom of speech is good but not for shit like this.
You either have free speech or you don't. Which will it be?

I've not read this strip in particular. But if you find it offensive or tasteless. Just look the other way?

Elchele

It's ok if they want to do a satire of this, but the problem is that the cartoon lacks any good content. is just shit.

They came back with plenty of defiant and antagonistic material, but I wasn't aware they satirised their wrecked office.

I don't necessarily recall a cartoon of their office (although it wouldn't surprise me) but they did poke fun at some of the victims like Charb (the EiC). Obviously, it was affectionate but still pretty damn dark.

And to be clear, I think this particular cartoon is really bad and Charlie hasn't been worth reading for a long time, way before they were attacked. But there's also a lot of misinformation about them.

jet1911

si5sxrfm.jpg

They drew Muhammad (which in itself is forbidden in Islam) holding a Je Suis Charlie sign and crying. Title says "All is forgiven".

Never noticed that the hat/head looks like a dick

Angel_DvA

I saw a report on television who spoke about the money from the aid of the state that was supposed to be used on anti-seismic building diverted by the mafia, I'm not saying you're wrong because I don't live in Italia though.

But remember... It's their right to be offensive. I don't remember people being this offended when Islam and Mohammed were being attacked.

Criticising a religion, or being defiant toward a certain part of a religion, is nowhere near the level of literally making fun of people who were just crushed to death by buildings falling on top of them.

Criticising/challenging a religion? Well. That's an opinion. Agree or don't agree. People will debate issues like free speech, religion being criticised in general in modern times etc.

Turning tragic death into satire? What is that? It's not an opinion. It's not a message. It doesn't create any debate about important issues. What is it?

It's not even in the same category.

krang

I don't necessarily recall a cartoon of their office (although it wouldn't surprise me) but they did poke fun at some of the victims like Charb (the EiC). Obviously, it was affectionate but still pretty damn dark.

And to be clear, I think this particular cartoon is really bad and Charlie hasn't been worth reading for a long time, way before they were attacked. But there's also a lot of misinformation about them.

Ok, thanks.

Khaz

It's not the front page. It's a small drawing amongst dozen others in the middle of the journal. It's most likely accompanying a written article about the earthquake.

Is it, in itself, in poor taste? In my opinion it is. Should have they refrained from publishing it? Maybe. Should they be chastised for it, definitely not. Do we need more context? Absolutely.

Sloane

Banned
It's related to the fact that many of the buildings that collapsed were certified to be "earthquake proof" with quite expensive restructuring jobs paid from the state. Turned out those were all fake, in classic italian fashion, and were fake jobs just there to steal some money from the state.

Basically, italians are shit and don't care about anything except their own money and will steal at every opportunity , even if this mean to kill hundred of people because their buildings are supposedly "earthquake proof".

Germany plz buy us already. I hate my fellows countrymen with every fibre of my being.

ITT: people who don't know shit but like to be outraged because reasons. Many of my countrymen are the same. Too sensible when criticized, never willing to actually do something about problems. We deserve nothing.
Thank you.

spekkeh

Banned
Have to say I'm a right bastard so this got a smirk out of me. Don't think it needs or even should be published though.

Germany plz buy us already. I hate my fellows countrymen with every fibre of my being.

ITT: people who don't know shit but like to be outraged because reasons. Many of my countrymen are the same. Too sensible when criticized, never willing to actually do something about problems. We deserve nothing.

Aha.

their first vignette is actually on point

it's the second one that i don't like, not because it's not true but because it looks like an apology

i mean, be coherent

and i'm with G.ZZZ

Javier23

Banned
I'm gonna presume they are very bluntly critizicing the lack of preparation for events like these, something that should absolutely be done. There's also this other vignette where they seem to try and explain themselves:
wNAoCQn.jpg

"Italians, it wasn't Charlie Hebdo that built your houses, it was the mafia!"

Every time these people anger someone it's because people take these at face value believing these people are racist, morbid, heartless assholes who'll make fun of whichever tragedy just took place, but it's usually the case that they are actually attacking either the responsible parties or those that contributed to the root cause. And I feel that's absolutely neccesary whichever way you wanna do it.

The scenario where I'm just wrong and they really are just having fun with those that perished in the earthquake is unfathomable to me, but feel free to correct me.

Moonkid

I can go with G.ZZZ's interpretation, but I think it's still fair to critique the piece for the lack of context it provides.

VAD

They know Death and tragedy themselves enough to not make fun of it without an underlying message. They want to shock you in order to make you think.

I can go with G.ZZZ's interpretation, but I think it's still fair to critique the piece for the lack of context it provides.

That might be because it's a magazine cover without the magazine.. or you know, the context. :l

I've had my ups-and-downs with CH, but they usually are trying to make a decent point. Sometimes they hit, sometimes they miss.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom