• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cheap Arse Gaffer |Europe| We Need To Go Cheaper

Status
Not open for further replies.
Many thanks for this tv recommendation :). We had a 20 min power cut here t'other day after which my lovely plasma sulked and wouldn't turn on :/. It seems it is a known issue with this particular make and model :mad:. Fortunately however it turned on after 2 days when I gave it one last chance before breaking down and buying a new set . Much relieved, I could resume my MH3U obsession love without straining my eyes and neck by having to use the Wii U controller screen. I therefore had no need to buy another set after all but decided to get this one anyway because the reviews are very good, I just wanted something to connect my Wii U to so the 'lacking' features were no issue for me and if nothing else I would at least have a back-up for my plasma. Oh and it's 1080p whereas my plasma is only HD Ready so yay!

I've just set it up [nice and simple, thanks Samsung] and had a quick blast of 1-1 on SM3DW and I must say that I am very impressed! :D It is much better than any LCD tv I've seen before in the wild but we'll see how I feel after configuring it properly and after extended play. Speaking of which, are there any specific guidelines in respect of configuing an LCD telly that I should be aware of? I'm a complete noob to LCD's as I've always disregarded them after disliking the picture quality I've seen on older LCD's owned by friends and family.

Fairly sure this was me talking about the Samsung UE32H5000

It's not heavy on features (no smart or 3D), but has Freeview HD and a great quality panel for 1080p gaming. 2 HDMI ports, SCART and a component I believe.

0a8YzoK.jpg

£238.00 @ Amazon

£239.00 @ John Lewis with 5 year guarantee

£239.00 @ Richer Sounds with 5 year guarantee

You're maybe thinking of this? The post stuck in my mind because it nearly made me buy one.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=120640276&postcount=18202

Still available at ebuyer for that price.

Edit: ninja'd by the OP, and at a cheaper price no less. I'll get me coat.

Haha, just a note that the H5000 is the 2014 version of the F5000. All 3 of the H5000 links list Freeview HD so I don't know if there's still some weird model number split.

I own the F5000 (with Freeview HD) and it's amazing value for money. It's worth reading the reviews if there's anything specific that you're looking for but in general I'd recommend it above anything in the price range.

Sondar

Apologies for my second question of the day...

Has anyone ever requested Nippon Yasan to get a product that they don't have in stock? Clicking on their links you just provide a photo & description of what you want, but what about price? Do you have to give them a figure? If they get the product in & you're not happy with the price, can you refuse?

Thanks guys. :)

Moozo

Disappointing amount of lower Destiny PS4 prices. Amazon was £40 but back up to 45 and everywhere else seems the same

jimi_dini

Speaking of which, are there any specific guidelines in respect of configuing an LCD telly that I should be aware of? I'm a complete noob to LCD's as I've always disregarded them after disliking the picture quality I've seen on older LCD's owned by friends and family.

You should try to disable all sorts of picture "enhancers", especially for videogames. Those introduce latency and you don't want that, especially for Wii U 60fps goodness.

I also own a Samsung, but a LED.

I have disabled "digital noise filter", "mpeg noise filter" and "motion plus" for PS3+Wii U.

Stubo

We'll see what happens when the other product listings are up on the website - the existing orders may well change.

I'll reserve judgement of their handling of the situation until that plays out.

kubus

I assume the Bayonetta 2 First Print Edition will be identical in France and the Netherlands? I thought this was always the case with Nintendo's Collector's Edition but just wanted to make sure.

I won't take my chances with Game Mania anymore. Just pre-ordered both Hyrule Warriors CE and Bayonetta 2 First Print at amazon france.

You should try to disable all sorts of picture "enhancers", especially for videogames. Those introduce latency and you don't want that, especially for Wii U 60fps goodness.

I have disabled "digital noise filter", "mpeg noise filter" and "motion plus" for PS3+Wii U.

Thanks jimi :). I checked and mine is an LED too :3. I just had a longish session of MH3U and used the tv as it came from Richer Sounds without any changes to the configuration so I may not need to change anything. I will however have a look at it tomorrow in relation to your advice when I'm a bit more compos mentis so thanks.

I noticed in the instruction manual that they warn against image retention/burn in. Is this something that I really need to worry about or are they just covering themselves? Do I need to lower the brightness etc like I did with my plasma for the first 200 hours or should I be okay? I ask because I tend to play for 6+ hours a day at the moment with intermittent comfort breaks, like this one.

MicH

I assume the Bayonetta 2 First Print Edition will be identical in France and the Netherlands? I thought this was always the case with Nintendo's Collector's Edition but just wanted to make sure.

I won't take my chances with Game Mania anymore. Just pre-ordered both Hyrule Warriors CE and Bayonetta 2 First Print at amazon france.
They're using the exact same version/package/everything across all of Europe, so it will be identical to the Dutch version

kubus

They're using the exact same version/package/everything across all of Europe, so it will be identical to the Dutch version
Awesome, thanks for the confirmation.

And thank you based amazon.fr. So glad I'll still be able to get the Hyrule Warriors CE for a normal price.

Cob32

Do GAME uk normally have a tracking number when they dispatch? Had my white ps4 ship before but theres not a tracking number in sight. Unless it hasnt actually left their warehouse and will go on monday.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
and had a quick blast of 1-1 on SM3DW and I must say that I am very impressed! :D It is much better than any LCD tv I've seen before in the wild but we'll see how I feel after configuring it properly and after extended play. Speaking of which, are there any specific guidelines in respect of configuing an LCD telly that I should be aware of? I'm a complete noob to LCD's as I've always disregarded them after disliking the picture quality I've seen on older LCD's owned by friends and family.

As it's related, press source and go to the input you are using then press tool's and relabel it as PC
This remove all enhancements and filter's, try it.
You'll also have two new pre-sets picture options that replace the original 4 or 5 the TV usually offers.

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
Hey ITAGAF, the

PS4+VITA bundle is €499 at Euronics

TGames.it is giving away €20 PSN cards, one for every 4 items (must be ordered all at once of course) you can mix and match everything (3ds games with WiiU plus PS4 and XBone for example) bar sport games like FIFA15 and also no Destiny.

They also still have KZSF + Second Son for €50

Anyone else order Destiny from Tesco Direct?

Just checking my order waiting for a dispatch, and I noticed in delivery details Saturday 13th September.

If that's true I want to cancel.

Zafir

Just checking my order waiting for a dispatch, and I noticed in delivery details Saturday 13th September.

Where does it even say date? There's no dispatch date for me, it just says "Ready to dispatch".

Though I ordered the Limited Edition.

Edit: Found it, mine also says 13th of September. :I

As it's related, press source and go to the input you are using then press tool's and relabel it as PC
This remove all enhancements and filter's, try it.
You'll also have two new pre-sets picture options that replace the original 4 or 5 the TV usually offers.

I'll do that now. Thanks very much :D.

EDIT: done :D. "Entertain: Suitable for watching movies and games" mode GET!

blazeuk

My Destiny order also states the 13th although they never said anywhere it would arrive on release day and the estimated date is just giving the standard delivery time for the method they're using. I'm still hoping they go out early (given it's saying ready to dispatch) and at least arrive on Tuesday, I doubt they'll take until next Saturday to arrive unless the post office is just sitting on them.

jimi_dini

I just had a longish session of MH3U and used the tv as it came from Richer Sounds without any changes to the configuration so I may not need to change anything.

Monster Hunter on Wii U has some insane input lag, so maybe the additional display lag wasn't that problematic. Try Super Mario 3D World or something like that.

I noticed in the instruction manual that they warn against image retention/burn in. Is this something that I really need to worry about or are they just covering themselves?

It's not problematic at all. Wii U has a screensaver, that should be enough. Plasmas are way way more prone to that. I think it's theoretically possible on LED, but you need to try very very hard.

nib95

Banned
any particularly good ps4 deals in the uk at the moment? preferably with destiny or the last of us r. ?

You can get the PS4 Destiny bundle from Asda Direct for £329 using code "CONSOLE". You can also get a further 5% cash back using Quidco.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Game have a 'trade in an iPhone 5S and get the white PS4 Destiny bundle for £99'

They also updated the terms of the Xbox one sunset overdrive white bundle (trade in a console+5 games and get it for £249) to accept 500GB PS3 superslim (previously was only slim)

Monster Hunter on Wii U has some insane input lag, so maybe the additional display lag wasn't that problematic. Try Super Mario 3D World or something like that.

I gave MK8 a quick blast after I changed the HDMI to 'pc' last night and everything was fine so think I'll stick with that configuration unless any issues crop up, although I don't expect any. I had forgotten how lovely MK8 is :). I think I'll refresh my gaming palate with some MK8 and SM3DW in between Mon Hun quests.

It's not problematic at all. Wii U has a screensaver, that should be enough. Plasmas are way way more prone to that. I think it's theoretically possible on LED, but you need to try very very hard.

Sweet! :D I love my plasma but must admit that it's nice not having to worry about this issue.

Timmay

Banned
I bought 200 dollars worth of PSN 20 dollar cards at Target for 175 during their game card promotion, but I don't see an expiration date anywhere. I assume that means there isn't one? If not, I might go back and get 200 dollars more and be set for digital purchases for the next couple of years on PSN.

I got an e-mail 10 hours ago saying it has been dispatched and it will arrive "on or before 08/09/2014".

panda-zebra

I checked in this thread before ordering Destiny from Tesco, was told not to worry about the expected delivery date stated and that orders always arrive on the day or a day early. With it being a Tuesday release, I can't see it being a day early when it's not already on its way, so fully expecting my ps4 £72 Destiny LE ordered during world cup final to arrive in 2 days time.

Just wanted people to know zavvi finally answered my question and cancelled my bayonetta 2 order.

Know to find somewhere I can buy the edition wit 1 & 2.

I preordered on wowhd. 33 euro and they upgraded it to the SE.
Look on Wowhd and saw it for 38 euros, good price but I just don't trust them. I don't even believe it includes them both. I have had bad experience with them in the past and looking them up on google looks like they haven't changed. Thank anyway.

Why is it so hard to find Tales of Xillia for a reasonable price? The game is one year old. Even the second hand copies are expensive, similar to a brand new copy.

Does the Japanese version has English voice or even subtitle?

jimi_dini

Why is it so hard to find Tales of Xillia for a reasonable price? The game is one year old. Even the second hand copies are expensive, similar to a brand new copy.

Japanese version is Japanese only (text + voice).

amazon.fr (3rd party seller) has the European day 1 edition for 32EUR (manual + cover are going to be French, game itself is multi5)
http://www.amazon.fr/dp/B008HECQQM/

btw. $5 for next paypal purchase (expires end of this month)
https://www.paypal-activate.com/clac/eml-na-dt

from this thread: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=890564

Japanese version is Japanese only (text + voice).

amazon.fr (3rd party seller) has the European day 1 edition for 32EUR (manual + cover are going to be French, game itself is multi5)
http://www.amazon.fr/dp/B008HECQQM/

btw. $5 for next paypal purchase (expires end of this month)
https://www.paypal-activate.com/clac/eml-na-dt

from this thread: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=890564

Thanks for the quick reply. What is the Day One Edition? Is it like first print? Do you get something special?

I found this on CeX. What are people experience with CeX? £22 is not too bad.

Or should I consider importing the USA version? I don't think this game has story DLC like Drakengard 3 so I will not have to register a USA PSN account. The French version will be weird as I do not speak it even though the actual game is in English. I like to retain the language consistency.

Or should I wait it out longer and maybe the price will fall or even increase?

Thanks for the PayPal thing. I will look into it.

I'd wait for it to go on sale on the PSN but I also prefer digital copies of my games. If you really want a physical copy then it's probably a good idea to buy it now.

oldmario

it's £21.85 on shoptu but on back order if you don't mind waiting maybe a couple weeks for them to get more stock in and send it out

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom