• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Chelsea fans prevent black man boarding Paris metro train

Status
Not open for further replies.
I fucking hate the generalisations that come out when shit like this happens. Yeah, it's appalling but just because a small group of Chelsea fans acts appallingly does that make their whole fanbase scum? No, it doesn't. Are all football fans pieces of shit because of the actions of some ultras? Nope. Guess what, football is a very, very popular sport, and therefore you get a lot of fans from a lot of different social groups and yeah, occasionally you'll get a group of people who have some disgusting views on the world who will also have a passion for a football club, and use their football club as a platform to express their views but they aren't twats because they like football, they're twats because they already were twats before hand.

Whilst this is true there is clearly a significant racism problem in football/soccer today in Europe and it needs to be addressed. It cannot just be a case of, well there's some shitty people in this world.

bjaelke

my dad has a picture of the guy on his wall.

I0000vQtdWxWHOEo.jpg

Frodo

I don't think there can be one when they're chanting about being racist.

If we are patient enough we might see someone trying.

On topic: I don't even know what to say. This is inexcusable and European authorities should reprehend this behaviour, identifying these people and serving them the appropriate punishment according the law. Unacceptable. Not to mention, these people weren't even in Britain.

FootballFan

They should be giving harsh points penalties. 3 point reduction when found guilty.

Can't get 3 point deduction in the champions league knockouts but I get what you mean.

Whilst this is true there is clearly a significant racism problem in football/soccer today in Europe and it needs to be addressed. It cannot just be a case of, well there's some shitty people in this world.

Yep. There are no excuses. "Say no to racism" signs are not enough.

justjohn

Nice to see Liverpool fans acting all high and mighty. This is the same club that had their manager Amd their players wearing a t shirt to support a known racist. Then their fans booed the player that was racially abused for having the nerve to complain. Don't even get me started on the rampant racism that goes on in the rest of european football involving whole stadiums filled with tens of thousands of fans.

But it's ok these tiny idiotic Chelsea fans truly represent the tens of thousands of Chelsea fans that attend the games.

Disgrace to the club, disgrace to the sport, disgrace to the country. The lot of them need a good leathering.

What's the maximum punishment you can get through the courts for verbal racist abuse?

@justjohn, minor point but the t-shirt thing happened before Suarez was found guilty. Not that it wasn't a fucking stupid thing to do regardless.

Whelan

Banned
UEFA have apparently said that because it was away from the football stadium, that they will not be taking any action against Chelsea.

justjohn

Disgrace to the club, disgrace to the sport, disgrace to the country. The lot of them need a good leathering.

What's the maximum punishment you can get through the courts for verbal racist abuse?

@justjohn, minor point but the t-shirt thing happened before Suarez was found guilty. Not that it wasn't a fucking stupid thing to do regardless.
What about the booing of Evra after the guilty verdict had been announced? He's still hated at Anfield even now and his crime was to get himself racially abused by a Liverpool player.
Don't even get me started on Manchester United fans racially abusing ballotelli so much he had to quit Twitter. We can play this game all day fellas.

This after the John Terry incident is just disgusting.

No doubt some elements in the fanbase were emboldened when their captain got off for being a racist cunt.

What about the booing of Evra after the guilty verdict had been announced? He's still hated at Anfield even now and his crime was to get himself racially abused by a Liverpool player.
Don't even get me started on Manchester United fans racially abusing ballotelli so much he had to quit Twitter. We can play this game all day fellas.

Don't spoil the narrative. Only Chelsea's fanbase has a racist element and deserve to be generalised. The rest are doe eyed innocent angels.

King_Moc

Banned
This after the John Terry incident is just disgusting.

No doubt some elements in the fanbase were emboldened when their captain got off for being a racist cunt.

Chelsea fans are more likely to just believe Terry's excuse, than defend racism I'd have thought. Same with Liverpool and Suarez. Even John Barnes defended him.

FootballFan

Nice to see Liverpool fans acting all high and mighty. This is the same club that had their manager Amd their players wearing a t shirt to support a known racist. Then their fans booed the player that was racially abused for having the nerve to complain. Don't even get me started on the rampant racism that goes on in the rest of european football involving whole stadiums filled with tens of thousands of fans.

But it's ok these tiny idiotic Chelsea fans truly represent the tens of thousands of Chelsea fans that attend the games.

You should know. What did your star player get for racial abuse?

Ahh yes. "look they did it too!" argument.

Liverpool fans can also mention:

- Chelsea fans booed Rio Ferdinand for defending his brother against a racist(John Terry - Chelsea captain).
- Chelsea fans sing "You know what you are" to Anton Ferdinand.

But that would be dumb because what is being discussed is these racist Chelsea supporters on the train. You should be focusing more on ridiculing them, and less on talking about Liverpool. I don't even get why you are picking out on Liverpool. What does that even have to do with anything.

I don't see any posts from Liverpool fans saying their club hasn't had its own issues with racism. So I just don't get where you are coming from.

So you're telling me there's no racist American football fans out there? C'mon, man, you seem intelligent. You can't seriously be denying that racism doesn't exist in the NFL fanbase? Or even the NHL? And even the NBA? Racism isn't exclusive to football, just like how it isn't exclusive to one single team. It's a worldwide issue.

Of course there is and I didn't think that was his point. More that teams like lazio don't exist in the nfl.

Ahh yes. "look they did it too!" argument.

Liverpool fans can also mention:

- Chelsea fans booed Rio Ferdinand for defending his brother against a racist(John Terry - Chelsea captain).
- Chelsea fans sing "You know what you are" to Anton Ferdinand.

But that would be dumb because what is being discussed is these racist Chelsea supporters on the train. You should be focusing more on ridiculing them, and less on talking about Liverpool. I don't even get why you are picking out on Liverpool. What does that even have to do with anything.

I don't see any posts from Liverpool fans saying their club hasn't had its own issues with racism. So I just don't get where you are coming from.

He's upset that people are using this incident to take a dig at Chelsea and Chelsea fans in general. Can't say I disagree with him there. People can hate Chelsea all they want for football reasons/Russian billionaire ownership etc., but to link that general Chelsea hate to a story about a racist minority of Chelsea fans is petty.

Alx

If we are patient enough we might see someone trying.

On topic: I don't even know what to say. This is inexcusable and European authorities should reprehend this behaviour, identifying these people and serving them the appropriate punishment according the law. Unacceptable. Not to mention, these people weren't even in Britain.

Unfortunately the law doesn't have harsh punishment for people being assholes in the metro... There's not much that can be done, except looking at those people and despising them.

He's upset that people are using this incident to take a dig at Chelsea and Chelsea fans in general. Can't say I disagree with him there. People can hate Chelsea all they want for football reasons/Russian billionaire ownership etc., but to link that general Chelsea hate to a story about a racist minority of Chelsea fans is petty.

FootballFan is an demented old man. Not worth wasting your time on.

I agree. I've been going to matches, both home and away, even since the late 80's and the only thing I can recall that scans as racism is Arsenal's "dirty fucking yid" chant.

The reason this is shocking is precisely because it doesn't really happen much nowadays. Not in the UK, anyway.

Or you just happened to go to games where it didn't happen. Doesn't mean it wasn't happening elsewhere in the UK.

FootballFan

Fair enough, I just wanted to get a better understanding by what message he was trying to get through.

FootballFan is an demented old man. Not worth wasting your time on.

Yay for personal insults. Nice.

Most Chelsea fans are great on GAF. Most. :p

King_Moc

Banned
Or you just happened to go to games where it didn't happen. Doesn't mean it wasn't happening elsewhere in the UK.

It was pretty obvious that I was being anecdotal, not compiling all reports of racism over the years. The point is it's not happening all the time, but people seem to believe that it's everywhere after incidents like this.

Wilbur

Banned
Harsh of a lot of you to be vilifying all Chelsea fans/British fans/football fans. If you say all Chelsea fans are scum on the basis of the actions of a few who think all black people are scum... please try and understand the contradictions there.

Awful behaviour, nevertheless, and nice to see the club have acted quickly. Not shocked to see no one intervened (considering the threat of physical violence), but surprising there wasn't more of a police presence.

He was hated at Anfield well before the Suarez stuff tbf :p

I agree that its disgraceful to boo him for reporting Suarez, but I don't really see why you're targetting me as though I think Liverpool's fanbase is perfect. Most fanbases have a section of despicable cunts.

Its silly to just point at everyone else though whenever your fellow fans bring shame upon the club. Its silly to paint all fans with the same brush. Chelsea don't want these fans representing them, I don't want our twattish fans representing me.

why is the fucking world being segregated now. It was fine before. Now shit like this happens.

Muslims automatically equals to ISIS.
Blacks automatically equals to robbers/scum.

Can we please not? All of this is stupid.

There is no race, but the HUMAN RACE

Football really does bring out the worst in people.

I don't even know what it means to support a team in england anymore. Modern football team no more represent the area they are based than the local Sainsburys.

As i get older i'm getting less and less interested in football and stories like this just clarify my decision.

I have worked in football stadiums across the country and witnessed racism at every ground.

The worst was at old trafford i was shocked that the people around this guy thought he was a comedian rather than a bigot.

I have seen stewards at anfield tell someone to calm down after he called a player a black bastard.

I love the game of football but everything around it is rotten to its core

What a bunch of pricks, the worst part, there's people on the train who just let that shit happen. I would of pushed those douches out from behind and chanted "No racists, no racists and that's the way we like it."

I don't even know what it means to support a team in england anymore. Modern football team no more represent the area they are based than the local Sainsburys.

As i get older i'm getting less and less interested in football and stories like this just clarify my decision.

I have worked in football stadiums across the country and witnessed racism at every ground.

The worst was at old trafford i was shocked that the people around this guy thought he was a comedian rather than a bigot.

I have seen stewards at anfield tell someone to calm down after he called a player a black bastard.

Football clubs provide a lot to the local communities they represent. As do J Sainsburys PLC

justjohn

He was hated at Anfield well before the Suarez stuff tbf :p

I agree that its disgraceful to boo him for reporting Suarez, but I don't really see why you're targetting me as though I think Liverpool's fanbase is perfect. Most fanbases have a section of despicable cunts.

Its silly to just point at everyone else though whenever your fellow fans bring shame upon the club. Its silly to paint all fans with the same brush. Chelsea don't want these fans representing them, I don't want our twattish fans representing me.
I'm pointing out everyone because some people are using this to bash the whole club and it's fans as if they don't have any skeletons in their closet. To me it shows they don't really care about racism just an opportunity to bash an opposition club. Also I wasn't targeting you; you were just a convinient Liverpool fan around for me to unload on. Sorry about that ;)

I'm glad to see Chelsea have acted swiftly and hopefully those scum will be banned for life from Chelsea.

Kiraly

What a bunch of pricks, the worst part, there's people on the train who just let that shit happen. I would of pushed those douches out from behind and chanted "No racists, no racists and that's the way we like it."

Lol, against men (already the more hardcore subset of Chelsea's fanbase given that they travelled to foreign ground) incited by group psychology and high on alcohol and drugs, sure you would have.

justjohn

Majority of fans are not like this and this incident is not the norm. In fact football actually does more to bring the races together than any other government programmer I can think of.

A very melodramatic, sensationalist and hyperbolic reaction.

It feels like the community aspect has gone.

It people want that, it's still there, the lower leagues and amateur football still exist.

Saying the community aspect is gone is a stretch, I still feel very much connected to my fellow fan, the players and atmosphere when I go to Chelsea games. It's a modern world, it's international, it's digital etc. but there's still a common feeling.

The change in top flight football is just a subset of globalisation at large. Shall we only watch British films, eat British food, buy British products?

Majority of fans are not like this and this incident is not the norm. In fact football actually does more to bring the races together than any other government programmer I can think of.

I worked in football stadiums for 3 years across the north of county i saw it week in week out, it was the norm

A very melodramatic, sensationalist and hyperbolic reaction.

It people want that, it's still there, the lower leagues and amateur football still exist.

Saying the community aspect is gone is a stretch, I still feel very much connected to my fellow fan, the players and atmosphere when I go to Chelsea games. It's a modern world, it's international, it's digital etc. but there's still a common feeling.

The change in top flight football is just a subset of globalisation at large. Shall we only watch British films, eat British food, buy British products?

i stand by my rotten to the core statement just look at the state of fifa

It's like people forgot what the Chelsea fans had a reputation for when Abramovich brought in his money.

Every club in this country has problems with racism, you would have to have your head buried in the sand and never attend a game if you think otherwise.

Even the most progressive clubs will have a small minority of vocal idiots, as soon as a song or chant becomes popular younger impressionable kids join in as well as other idiots.

It's and easy thing to spiral out of control quickly and other fans around these people need to step up and challenge them when they do things like this.

Chichikov

So you're telling me there's no racist American football fans out there? C'mon, man, you seem intelligent. You can't seriously be denying that racism doesn't exist in the NFL fanbase? Or even the NHL? And even the NBA? Racism isn't exclusive to football, just like how it isn't exclusive to one single team. It's a worldwide issue.
No, of course there's racism in America and of course it exists in sports fan.
I'm saying that you don't really have those clubs who has, how shall I say, racist flavor, who tend to attract racists, which does exists in Europe.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom