• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Chevy Bolt EPA range announced - 238 miles

Status
Not open for further replies.
jgolson_160909_1219_0132.0.0.jpg

jgolson_160909_1219_0035.0.0.jpg
The Verge said:
The upcoming all-electric Chevy Bolt, perhaps the most important car GM has ever released, will sport an electric range of 238 miles according to estimates by the EPA. Chevy had previously said only that the car would have a range in excess of 200 miles.

This will make the car the first truly affordable electric vehicle with a range over 200 miles, a range Chevy believes is essential to widespread adoption of electric vehicles. The company has said the vehicle will have a base price of less than $37,500, meaning the actual price will be less than $30,000 after a US federal tax credit of $7,500 (receiving the full credit requires making enough money to pay $7,500 in tax, however). Several states offer additional tax credits, as well. The actual price of the Bolt will be announced later this fall.

And Tim Stevens from CNET drove it.
Video here.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wQo6-ta889I

I think this is potentially exciting as a competitor to the Model 3. That's an impressive range for a car that's gonna be around $30K.

jchap

Pretty good but with oil prices so low its not going to be a good market for it. Personally I'm not buying another vehicle until it is fully automated.

SDCowboy

I'd rather not be seen in that stupid looking thing.

And 238miles would still do jack squat for me on a roadtrip.

Paging twin turbo!

Edit:
Still not a fan of the design. I swear, everything EV from everyone looks terrible. Only exceptions are Tesla and Chevy Volt.

Is there a rule that says electric cars have to be ugly?

Well I guess the tesla s with the original grille wasn't ugly, it was just boring.

subrock

Impressive range but I just can't get behind Chevy's safety record or the service supported dealer model. I don't mind the looks though actually

Well I guess the tesla s with the original grille wasn't ugly, it was just boring.
I legitimately think that most car makers want EV to fail. It means the collapse of the supply chain, and the dealer/service network.

jb1234

I still fail to see why the looks of a car matter. Are people that insecure about what other people think of them and their vehicle?

(I wouldn't buy it because it's a Chevy, personally.)

I'd rather not be seen in that stupid looking thing.

And 238miles would still do jack squat for me on a roadtrip.
You can recharge it pretty quickly. It supports DCFC if I remember right. There's a pretty good network of those already depending on where you live, and they're continually expanding.

I still fail to see why the looks of a car matter. Are people that insecure about what other people think of them and their vehicle?

You ASSume it's because of other people but it's just an eyesore that I wouldn't want to look at every day.

The Llama

>doesn't see the point in looks
>wouldn't buy it "because it's a Chevy"

wat

Ambient80

I'm not spending $35k+ on a vehicle that looks like hot garbage. I don't care about what other people think of it, I care about what I think of it.

It's not insecurity to want a car that you like to look at. People who like its look or don't care and want an affordable high range EV will buy it. Others won't. Just like it works in every other category of car.

Abounder

Banned
Hopefully it'll be the best selling EV, huge upgrade over what's available until the Model 3 rolls around. But yea US customers want CUVs nowadays anyway, not so much hatches (or just jack it up)

Prius set the benchmark unfortunately

turmoil

Banned
I hope all other automakers are forced to make over 200 and 300 miles affordable cars too.

The designs will improve eventually with the competence.

SDCowboy

Because cars/trucks to many people is more than just a means of transportation.

Impressive range but I just can't get behind Chevy's safety record or the service supported dealer model. I don't mind the looks though actually
The Volt is rock solid in both safety and reliability. We had a terrible 2004 Malibu that was fucking terrible. Chevy have completely turned it around.

And you aren't going to need to get an EV serviced very often at all. Chevy made a car in the Volt that no other plug in hybrid has matched in what 6 years? When we started looking to replace my wife's car we were saying anything but a chevy.

We have zero regrets in not following through with that and buying a volt.

I don't think it's ugly. I've driven and owned cars that look worse than that. And this is 100% EV?

I'm so glad EV is back in a big way. It's cool as shit and is totally the future.

I don't think it's ugly. I've driven and owned cars that look worse than that. And this is 100% EV?

I'm so glad EV is back in a big way. It's cool as shit and is totally the future.
Yeah 100%.

The car is no looker, but it's that shape to maximise cabin space in a small foot print. It's very roomy inside by all accounts. So yeah, if you care about looks, then wait for the model 3. That's an awesome looking car.

If not the bolt looks like a great purchase.

I legitimately think that most car makers want EV to fail. It means the collapse of the supply chain, and the dealer/service network.
I think so, too. Tesla (and BMW, sort of, with its I8) has shown that it's possible to make an EV that doesn't look like shit without sacrificing performance.

I think so, too. Tesla (and BMW, sort of, with its I8) has shown that it's possible to make an EV that doesn't look like shit without sacrificing performance.
I think in many cases early adopters are slightly to blame. They don't want an ev that looks like any other car because they want people to see they have an ev, and there's been this misplaced thought that evs are city cars, when really they work best as commuter vehicles from the suburbs (much easier to charge when you have a driveway or a garage), so theyve tended to be boxy things lacking in aerodynamics, with weird styling to make them stick out.

Fortunately tesla have been helping change that. Chevy too with the gen 2 volt which looks very standard (though pretty nice looking imho).

But what do I know about looks, I drive an electric smart fortwo.

SDCowboy

I'm looking forward to the day when I can get a truck in a electric/gas hybrid. I'm all for electric someday, but it has to come in something I want.

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
Why do non-Tesla electric cars have a mandate to look like shit? Do they actually want to sell these things?

Why care what your clothes and shoes look like? They are just there to cover your skin, right?

I still can't make it from LA to Vegas with this right. That's like 250 miles, unless there's a quick charge station in between.

UrokeJoe

I don't get it? How is this car ugly? I'm pretty sure they are going after a demographic that is not looking at Ferrari.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom