• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Chevy Bolt EPA range announced - 238 miles

Status
Not open for further replies.
i feel like i remember reading somewhere that all these EVs and Hybrids looked 'ugly' because the people buying them want the silhouettes and looks of the vehicles to stand out

diablos991

Can’t stump the diablos
i feel like i remember reading somewhere that all these EVs and Hybrids looked 'ugly' because the people buying them want the silhouettes and looks of the vehicles to stand out

It doesn't stand out though. It looks like a $13,000 grocery getter I would buy my daughter for her first car.

This does not appeal to people looking to dump $30,000. People wonder why Tesla is successful; they are the only ones making the electric car for theasses that looks appealing.

Bad_Boy

time to take my meds
without that electric engine it looks like a 15k car.

until the price goes down to about 22k... im good.

Casimir

Unconfirmed Member
People aren't looking for luxury in the subcompact space though.

They want the bolt because of the EV range and as a commuter vehicle.

You just undercut your own argument. Secondly, considering that people are dropping $34,000 on an average car, luxury trims, if not brands, are in demand.

That being said Car and Driver already test drove the damn thing and said the car stickers for 30k, but the interior is 20k class.

A $20k interior is superior to the quality of a car interior that stickers for $13,000. Even if you add all the options, the overall interior is still going to be that of a $13,000 car.

Beyond that fucking everything has tech in it now.

One, no your wrong. Try getting navigation in a Sonic. Secondly it's the quality of that tech and it's interface where there is a disparity.

Your paying for the EV engine. Which is definitely gonna out perform a traditional 4 cl in a subcompact. Again for commuters though I'm not sure how much this matters. What matters is that it's an EV vs traditional gas.

Again undercutting your own argument. And yes, it really matters how good the transmission + engine (and NVH) is on a car, especially for someone who commutes everyday.

Best thing about this is the range should in theory out downward pricing on other EVs that don't have this type of range.

I imagine the forthcoming purpose built EV + hybrids, like the Ioniq from Hyundai, will have a bigger effect than the Bolt. It's still much easier to sell the idea of EV when the vehicles come in around ~$27,000 and still has a small ICE motor.

sfedai0

Banned
Damn, this gives hatches a bad image. Really uninspiring on the outside, but for me interiors are a big deal breaker, and American automakers are horrible at interiors. I would feel bad spending 30k plus on this. $20k or below is justifiable for a car that looks like this.

Oil changes and such aren't expensive. It's the other high mileage shit like...

This kind of stuff.

Though it's worth noting timing chains are thing vs belts that break.

PS: I hate this direct comparison though as your comparing a subcompact to a fucking van though.
I'm not trying to compare a subcompact to a van. Many cars, regardless of segment need timing belt changes, motor mount changes, transmission flushes, coolant flushes, power steering flushes, ect. These add a very significant cost to the ownership of the vehicle. And again, this is independent of the vehicle class.

Edit:
How did I forget about smog. My Camry's evap system is failing. That'll be another expensive fix near $1000.

I'm not trying to compare a subcompact to a van. Many cars, regardless of segment need timing belt changes, motor mount changes, transmission flushes, coolant flushes, power steering flushes, ect. These add a very significant cost to the ownership of the vehicle. And again, this is independent of the vehicle class.

Edit:
How did I forget about smog. My Camry's evap system is failing. That'll be another expensive fix near $1000.

It does vary a lot though. For example if a car has a timing chain, those usually last at least 200k miles. Also it seems like a lot of car have electric steering these days instead of hydraulic. But yeah there still is engine and transmission oil changes, and coolant flushes.

Of course electric cars will still require servicing though. I'm sure the electric motors still require mounts to hold them to the car that will wear out. And they still need all the other services like brakes, tires and suspension.

BTW, evap systems are pretty simple, so I doubt it will cost you that much to fix it.

Any pics of the interior?

Is there any reason they can't/haven't tried retro-fitting an existing line of cars? Why not just have it so that you can buy a ICE Accord or an EV Accord?

gatti-man

Would all the big manufacturers stop making electric cars look ridiculous? We want nice looking cars that are electric. Stop with the horrible styling.

East Lake

Is there any reason they can't/haven't tried retro-fitting an existing line of cars? Why not just have it so that you can buy a ICE Accord or an EV Accord?
They'd have to spend 10's of billions of dollars to undermine their current ICE products. There aren't even enough batteries available for GM to actually compete with Tesla.

They (Honda, specifically, actually) tried it with hybrids already. The Civic and Accord hybrids got owned by Prius because they cost more and just looked like regular cars.

The price is pretty high, but I've read about a 7, 500 tax credit you can get towards purchase of this and other electric cars? Anyone know about that?

Hydrargyrus

Seems like we are going to have the Opel Ampera-e version for Europe

opel-ampera-e-700x368.jpg

vktyo4dbyg9w_600.jpg

I think my bigger issue is it's getting cheaper, but it's still not cheap for the size and interior of the car.

Your paying low 30s for a subcompact.

94 square feet of interior space is not the interior space of a sub compact at all. The interior of the car is very roomy for its wheelbase. No, it's still not cheap, but there is plenty of interior space compared to similar sized cars.

Green Car Reports took it for a (240 mile long) drive:

The deceptive thing about the Bolt EV is that it looks considerably smaller than it actually is. Think of it as a tall wagon or (heaven forfend) a small minivan, and you'll get a sense of its interior volume.

In other words, the 2017 Chevrolet Bolt EV delivers more interior volume than you'd expect, superb instrumentation, an electric-range rating beaten only by cars costing twice as much or more, and enjoyable performance.

Would we change anything? Well, it could stand to be just a little sexier to attract some buyers.

Seems pretty positive.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
94 square feet of interior space is not the interior space of a sub compact at all. The interior of the car is very roomy for its wheelbase. No, it's still not cheap, but there is plenty of interior space compared to similar sized cars.

That's actually literally inside the definition of what the EPA defines as a subcompact car.

http://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/info.shtml#sizeclasses

Subcompact 85 to 99

pj

Banned
This does not appeal to people looking to dump $30,000. People wonder why Tesla is successful; they are the only ones making the electric car for theasses that looks appealing.

Yeah, same reason Toyota is the largest car maker on earth. Cool cars that people want to buy.

Get real. In 5 years the majority of EVs sold will look more like a Bolt than a Model 3.

Donos

I still fail to see why the looks of a car matter. Are people that insecure about what other people think of them and their vehicle?

(I wouldn't buy it because it's a Chevy, personally.)

Do you just wear grey, completely functional clothes and shoes? Why not? Everything in your flat/house is just functional? You have Nothing that's also nice to look at for you? I doubt that you can answear with yes to all of that.

RSTEIN

Comics, serious business!
Very tempting. In Canada you get $10k back for the Volt, I wonder if this is even higher. Would love to commute everyday & save $500+ a month on gas.

Yeah, same reason Toyota is the largest car maker on earth. Cool cars that people want to buy.

Get real. In 5 years the majority of EVs sold will look more like a Bolt than a Model 3.

What makes you say that? Because of the distribution and dealer network of Chevy?

I still fail to see why the looks of a car matter. Are people that insecure about what other people think of them and their vehicle?

(I wouldn't buy it because it's a Chevy, personally.)

Yes, I would be very insecure about my financial decisions and my mental acuity if I dropped 30K+ on a fridge with wheels that looks like a turd

That's passenger+cargo. The Bolt has about 17 cu. ft. of cargo space. The Model S also has 94 cu. ft. of passenger volume, but 31 cu. ft. of cargo space (combining the front and the back)
Thank you for chipping in. I know it's surprisinglyour spacious and it's nice to get someone backing me up on that. According to the epa it's a mid size.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom