• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Chevy Bolt EPA range announced - 238 miles

Status
Not open for further replies.
also whats this things warranty on the battery?

Tesla has a 10 year unlimited mile warranty on all their cars battery and drive shift unit.

pretty much the reason i said F it and got one.

also whats this things warranty on the battery?

Tesla has a 10 year unlimited mile warranty on all their cars battery and drive shift unit.

pretty much the reason i said F it and got one.

The Volt has an 8 year / 100,000 mile warranty on the battery, so not quite as good, but still good. My guess is this will be the same.

They've replaced precisely 0 volt batteries for loss of range so far too.

http://www.insidercarnews.com/chevy-has-replaced-zero-volt-batteries/

Kieli

Pretty good but with oil prices so low its not going to be a good market for it. Personally I'm not buying another vehicle until it is fully automated.

Oil prices, oil changes, maintenance on a gas-powered car, etc... are not cheap.

I'm still waiting until they get to about 400 miles or the battery charging is faster/more available. When I go on weekend trips, I typically put in about 350-400 miles round trip.

Oil prices, oil changes, maintenance on a gas-powered car, etc... are not cheap.
This. A timing belt change cost me almost $700 for my Honda van. And another $600 on engine and transmission mounts. And that's within the last six months.

Edit:
I'm predicting someone to reply saying they can do not of those things themselves for much cheaper. As if the average person is able to do such a thing.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Wait, they have "gas stations" for electric cars? How long do they take to charge? I thought it was at least overnight...

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Quick Charge will do most of the battery in about an hour, I think. Just good enough for you to stretch you legs and get something to eat on a road trip.

9p7xjjR.gif

Oh wow, that's not bad at all.

How much does that cost?

Derwind

I still fail to see why the looks of a car matter. Are people that insecure about what other people think of them and their vehicle?

(I wouldn't buy it because it's a Chevy, personally.)

Ehh... thats line of thinking is interesting...

Do you feel that "function over form" applies to everything? Or is it just solely for cars?

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook

Oil changes and such aren't expensive. It's the other high mileage shit like...

This. A timing belt change cost me almost $700 for my Honda van. And another $600 on engine and transmission mounts. And that's within the last six months.

Edit:
I'm predicting someone to reply saying they can do not of those things themselves for much cheaper. As if the average person is able to do such a thing.

This kind of stuff.

Though it's worth noting timing chains are thing vs belts that break.

PS: I hate this direct comparison though as your comparing a subcompact to a fucking van though.

Kelsdesu

I just want an electric car to get me from point A to point B. I have a fun car that I would like to stop driving, but 30k is a bit much for me at the moment.

Tesla's Supercharger is free I believe on the S and the X.
It'll likely be an optional add on the 3 which is 35K.

As for the Bolt, it depends on the charger, some are free, some are not.

They should let you hop behind the counter inside the diner and work it off, like Pee Wee when he was on his big adventure

Then they come to get you to tell you you worked it off and you're in there like

8-great-scenes-from-pee-wees-big-adventure-4.jpg

Vanillalite

I think my bigger issue is it's getting cheaper, but it's still not cheap for the size and interior of the car.

Your paying low 30s for a subcompact.

Casimir

Unconfirmed Member
9p7xjjR.gif

Oh wow, that's not bad at all.

How much does that cost?

Chevy hasn't announced the final base price, but less than $37,500. Currently there is a
$7,500 Federal tax rebate for EV vehicles that will bring it down around $30,000 which is lower than the average sale price of a gas car at $33,560. For comparison, the Tesla Model 3 will launch at $35,000 (not including any rebates).

I have a 2006 Toyota Corolla with 165,000 miles on it. Going to run it into the ground and then strongly consider my best electric option. One more year until my wife is out of school and these options are affordable.

For longer trips we use our small crossover SUV for camping, snow, dogs, etc. so a basic commuter car would be great.

Vanillalite

Chevy hasn't announced the final base price, but less than $37,500. Currently there is a
$7,500 Federal tax rebate for EV vehicles that will bring it down around $30,000 which is lower than the average sale price of a gas car at $33,560. For comparison, the Tesla Model 3 will launch at $35,000 (not including any rebates).

No offense to you, but I hate this because it just ignores the Apples to Apples comparison and instead it goes for a wel it's a fruit like other fruits.

Sub compacts go for mid teens msrp wise which is what this should be directly compared to.

No offense to you, but I hate this because it just ignores the Apples to Apples comparison and instead it goes for a wel it's a fruit like other fruits.

Sub compacts go for mid teens msrp wise which is what this should be directly compared to.
Apples to apples bought from Whole Foods, then.

While you have a point, despite it being a sub compact chances are most of its buyers won't be buying it because it's a sub compact but rather in spite of it being a sub compact.

People will be looking at this compared to other EVa and high MPG sedans most likely.

Vanillalite

It's designed like a subcompact for a reason because gasp that's what it is. It looks like a Fit or a Yaris cause that's basically what it is. I don't mind the design that much when you confine it to what it is.

Also range is nice, and it's farther than the Model 3. The Model 3 is a compact sedan ie a Corolla or a Civic where as the Bolt is a Yaris or a Fit though. So I wonder how much that chassis difference helps in terms of mileage.

We are getting there, and it's coming sooner rather than later. Despite people thinking EVs are decades out. The 2017 Bolt nor the Model 3 is the holy grail yet though.

i get annoyed by that $7500 tax break being used as some sort of legitimate discount.

That is such a variable depending on how much you owe in taxes...

yes if you make 200k a year you probably owe 7500 in taxes...otherwise its silly when EVs use that as a legitimate discount. That $7500 could easily just be $100 instead.

diablos991

Can’t stump the diablos
Electric cars don't have to look like shit.
Why do these auto makes always try to make the look like the lowest tier economy car?

Casimir

Unconfirmed Member

I posted it because people have a warped perception of what an average car costs. For some reason people believe that a stripper Mitsubishi Mirage for $13,000 is the average car. And, no people do not line up to buy base model cars that have no air conditioning, little to no soundproofing, cheap plastic everything, no touch screen interface, manual gearboxes*, and an under powered engine on all trims. They spend an average of $33,560 to get better cars. The new bolt comes standard with a 10.2 touch screen and a transmission and engine better than some luxury cars. This is excluding the benefit of being a 4 door, 5 seat EV with a range of 200+ miles. So no, the bottom tier subcompact class you are thinking of are not the competition for this vehicle. There is no way to option up a traditional ICE subcompact to get anywhere close to what the Bolt offers. Just because the Bolt exists in the same size class because of it's exterior dimensions does not mean it is competing in the same league.

*Before anyone posts "THIS IS WHAT I AM LOOKING FOR IN A CAR!!!", average people don't care about good manual transmission and engine combinations; these are terrible. Some manual + engine combinations need to be dragged behind a shed and shot.

Coolness

i get annoyed by that $7500 tax break being used as some sort of legitimate discount.

yes if you make 200k a year you probably owe 7500 in taxes...otherwise its silly when EVs use that as a legitimate discount. That $7500 could easily just be $100 instead.

People usually lease these cars. So, the leasing company usually takes the tax and discounts it from the price of the car.

You realize you only need to have an AGI of $47,000 to pay $7,500 in taxes right

As far as I care the only good looking EV is the E-Golf.
volkswagen-e-golf-electric-car-leaked-images_100419598_l.jpg

Frankly I don't get why manufacturers feel the need to make purpose built EV's and hybrids so goddamn ugly. The range figures on the volt are excellent, but I wouldn't be caught dead in a car that looks like a slightly melted Honda Fit.

I legitimately think that most car makers want EV to fail. It means the collapse of the supply chain, and the dealer/service network.

Why would it? Electric cars still need service and fixing. Things other than the engine go wrong with cars all the time.

i bought a used model s for 48k that has the 85kwh battery so around 35k for that thing isnt really special.

Sure because you bought used. A new model s is closer to double what the Bolt will cost new.

As far as I care the only good looking EV is the E-Golf.
volkswagen-e-golf-electric-car-leaked-images_100419598_l.jpg

Frankly I don't get why manufacturers feel the need to make purpose built EV's and hybrids so goddamn ugly. The range figures on the volt are excellent, but I wouldn't be caught dead in a car that looks like a slightly melted Honda Fit.

Thats because they made it look like just a normal car. Though I'd argue that a lot of American cars don't look that great in general, as a lot of them look kinda gaudy.

Coolness

I wonder if other EV manufacturers will discount their cars because of this. The mid tier model of the Kia Soul EV is around 35k for less than half the range. I wouldn't mind picking one up for cheaper.

Vanillalite

I posted it because people have a warped perception of what an average car costs. For some reason people believe that a stripper Mitsubishi Mirage for $13,000 is the average car. And, no people do not line up to buy base model cars that have no air conditioning, little to no soundproofing, cheap plastic everything, no touch screen interface, manual gearboxes*, and an under powered engine on all trims. They spend an average of $33,560 to get better cars. The new bolt comes standard with a 10.2 touch screen and a transmission and engine better than some luxury cars. This is excluding the benefit of being a 4 door, 5 seat EV with a range of 200+ miles. So no, the bottom tier subcompact class you are thinking of are not the competition for this vehicle. There is no way to option up a traditional ICE subcompact to get anywhere close to what the Bolt offers. Just because the Bolt exists in the same size class because of it's exterior dimensions does not mean it is competing in the same league.

*Before anyone posts "THIS IS WHAT I AM LOOKING FOR IN A CAR!!!", average people don't care about good manual transmission and engine combinations; these are terrible. Some manual + engine combinations need to be dragged behind a shed and shot.

People aren't looking for luxury in the subcompact space though.

They want the bolt because of the EV range and as a commuter vehicle.

That being said Car and Driver already test drove the damn thing and said the car stickers for 30k, but the interior is 20k class.

Beyond that fucking everything has tech in it now.

Your paying for the EV engine. Which is definitely gonna out perform a traditional 4 cl in a subcompact. Again for commuters though I'm not sure how much this matters. What matters is that it's an EV vs traditional gas.

Best thing about this is the range should in theory out downward pricing on other EVs that don't have this type of range.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom