• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CNN: White house blocking them and other news outlets from attending press briefing!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Toxi

Banned
If they really stopped covering anything about him he would actually be less popular and wouldn't had been as popular before as well. A complete no trump news ban would go a long way but they can't do it. They can't stop themselves. But, it would be fantastic to know he is basically non existent. They can still report on what the administration does and you guys are wrong to believe reporting negativity against him makes things change, just fuels his supporters more.

He would also flip out now m seeing everyone completely not give a shit about him. All his important events going completely unnoticed. Would be amazing

Just imagining him walking out to give a speech to a full media blitz and only seeing empty chairs and some college kid newspapers would just be too funny. If the press goes, they should film each other and give accounts of thier days or something. Make him disappear all the way to 2020.
He's the fucking President of the United States, not an internet troll. You really don't get that, do you?

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
He's the fucking President of the United States, not an internet troll. You really don't get that, do you?

One doesn't preclude the other.

Has anyone noticed this?

6PBjPUB.png

To be fair, after watching regular folk hold Tom Cotton's feet to fire with articulated questions, we'd be better off finding people off the street to replace the White House press corps. How many of these press conferences have we had? Almost one every day? I can only recall a handful of questions, and they largely came from foreign journalists.

Their ban has triggered a more substantial discussion about this administration than any of their questions at these events thus far, ironically.

caliph95

To be fair, after watching regular folk hold Tom Cotton's feet to fire with articulated questions, we'd be better off finding people off the street to replace the White House press corps. How many of these press conferences have we had? Almost one every day? I can only recall a handful of questions, and they largely came from foreign journalists.

Their ban has triggered a more substantial discussion about this administration than any of their questions at these events thus far, ironically.

Because the average person has little reason to try and be "fair" unlike mainstream media for better and worse.

Did either group end up getting any good answers? Being incapable of answering even the softest of criticism is damning its own way as well.

And now news outlets have been sidelined by the WH and GOP Senators are unlikely to do more Town Hall meetings. The problem is Republicans not being able to handle even the lightest criticism, not the people asking the questions.

Joe

Fanatical "conservatives" will betray their own family members over political disagreements - don't think they wouldn't betray their country.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
I often read these Trump threads and am put off by the constant hyperbole and reaction. However, The Atlantic had a really good article about the ideological foundation of Bannon and many of Trump's more prominent advisors and supporters.

https://www.theatlantic.com/politic...nternets-dark-anti-democracy-movement/516243/

It is concerning because these people have the Whitehouse now. It is a self described anti-democracy philosophy that is intent on "blowing the system up". The hatred of the "mainstream media" and the insanity of appointments like Pruitt and DeVos make sense within the context of their goals and beliefs. These people are not Republicans or conservatives in the traditional sense. And some of their beliefs approach overt bigotry and racism, allowing white nationalists to latch on.

But I think the real problem is that they are not wrong about the entrenched corruption and systemic failures of our government. They are not wrong about the divisiveness of identity politics and problems caused by globalization. These issues will continue to galvanize an increasingly large precentage of the population. Democrats, liberals, Republicans, and conservatives need to fight this movement by addressing these issues head on. I think this a major turning point in Western Civilization, for better or worse.

To anyone who is further interested in learning what these people are really about and what they want to achieve, I suggest looking up "neo-reactionary" and the "dark enlightenment". There is a fair amount of ugly in there, but their philosophy is not entirely bankrupt, which is the problem.

I disagree, I think he cares deeply about perception, and not just from an egotistical perspective. We are not his target audience. I recommend reading the Atlantic article I linked.
Real as they are, those monkeys sound like the kind of folks who take Witch House/Vaporwave seriously.

Breads

Banned
I often read these Trump threads and am put off by the constant hyperbole and reaction. However, The Atlantic had a really good article about the ideological foundation of Bannon and many of Trump's more prominent advisors and supporters.

https://www.theatlantic.com/politic...nternets-dark-anti-democracy-movement/516243/

It is concerning because these people have the Whitehouse now. It is a self described anti-democracy philosophy that is intent on "blowing the system up". The hatred of the "mainstream media" and the insanity of appointments like Pruitt and DeVos make sense within the context of their goals and beliefs. These people are not Republicans or conservatives in the traditional sense. And some of their beliefs approach overt bigotry and racism, allowing white nationalists to latch on.

But I think the real problem is that they are not wrong about the entrenched corruption and systemic failures of our government. They are not wrong about the divisiveness of identity politics and problems caused by globalization. These issues will continue to galvanize an increasingly large precentage of the population. Democrats, liberals, Republicans, and conservatives need to fight this movement by addressing these issues head on. I think this a major turning point in Western Civilization, for better or worse.

To anyone who is further interested in learning what these people are really about and what they want to achieve, I suggest looking up "neo-reactionary" and the "dark enlightenment". There is a fair amount of ugly in there, but their philosophy is not entirely bankrupt, which is the problem.

I disagree, I think he cares deeply about perception, and not just from an egotistical perspective. We are not his target audience. I recommend reading the Atlantic article I linked.

Not gonna lie. http://post-anathema.tumblr.com/ is probably my new favorite repost tumblr.

EGM1966

So in around a month we've gone from open press briefings to closed propoganda briefings to those who agree to pass on the governments desired message?

Thisisfine.gif

Chichikov

UN FUCKING CONSTITUTIONAL

think about that Grand Ol Party
Nothing in the constitution says that the white house have to even have press conferences, let alone provide equal access to them.
It's a shit move, it breaks with a long and important tradition, but they can totally do this if they want to.

And I don't mean to be pedantic here, I think arguing about whether or not it's legal is the wrong battle to have, and one that the Trump administration I'm sure will would love to have right now.

They should really drop the ban of press.

If most of the press is being petty and biased or just asking inane questions over and over, you can use that to your advantage and everyone can watch and hear it

Edit: "If" being the keyword there. As in if the White House administration

Nothing in the constitution says that the white house have to even have press conferences, let alone provide equal access to them.
It's a shit move, it breaks with a long and important tradition, but they can totally do this if they want to.

And I don't mean to be pedantic here, I think arguing about whether or not it's legal is the wrong battle to have, and one that the Trump administration I'm sure will would love to have right now.

Fair assessment, this is probably legal. The legal lines aren't drawn but the moral one should seem clear. This isn't supposed to be like not wanting to invite someone you don't like to your party.
lol that's exactly what this is to them

Either way, I hope they can somehow throw a lawsuit at it. This administration needs to be drowning in those.

Woo-Fu

Banned
Seems like a dumb move to me. These news services will get even more attention playing martyrs for democracy than they were already getting. Meanwhile every story they've posted that Trump didn't like has even more credibility. That's what they call a Lose-Lose, Mr. President.

The funny part is that they think official access to informal white house briefings is valuable leverage. The real information comes from outside the WH or from leaks from within. The official line is mostly lies.

I'm sure what will come out of those closed-door meetings is Spicer trying to coach "friendly" media into delivering the official line. Good luck with that, Spicy.

UberTag

Because the average person has little reason to try and be "fair" unlike mainstream media for better and worse.
Trying to be fair sure as hell didn't hamper right-wing media from growing an audience.
Hell, never being fair got a number of Breitbart loyalists cushy White House jobs in positions of influence.

Got

Banned

If most of the press is being petty and biased or just asking inane questions over and over, you can use that to your advantage and everyone can watch and hear it

yeah, but that's not what's happening?

This. There is nothing illegal about this. Fight it on moral ground. Trump has done this his entire life. He doesn't care to hear dissenting opinions and doesn't have a thick enough skin to handle it.

Shig

Strap on your hooker ...

Yeah, Trump's whole schtick, in politics as in business, seems to be exploiting loopholes. There's lots of things that presidents and administrations in the past half-century did or didn't do that seemed like ironclad rules because they were adhered to uniformly. Turns out they were followed not because they were mandated, but because they were just the right, decent things to do.

Presidential decorum being moored so heavily in tradition rather than laws kinda falls apart when the position gets taken by an opportunistic shitheel that defines his actions not by what seems right, but by "What can I get away with?"

I suspect we'll see a strong push for some of these 'unofficial' administrative rules and policies to get turned into official ones if/when Trump goes up in smoke. For better or for worse, this administration is doing a bang-up job of calling attention to the weak spots in our democracy through their shameless exploitation of them.

Ithil

The press ain't the ones being petty or biased.

bigred50

This is essentially the News Media's fault. They let Trump get away with saying and doing insane things throughout the campaign in the interest of rating's, dollars.

Whoopsies! Now they're paying the real price.

Trump Admin got a head start in the war against Media, and the Trump's are now going on a full out de-legitimatizing campaign.

Media is trying to play catch up, but it may be too late.

Who do the American people trust more? The media? Or the government?

It'll be interesting to see who comes out on top!

God bless the USA.

LakeEarth

Fanatical "conservatives" will betray their own family members over political disagreements - don't think they wouldn't betray their country.
Yeah I recently realized that the gun nuts with surplus military equipment in their basement to 'fight government tyranny' are the same people who are welcoming 45's facist actions with open arms.

Trump wants people to know about the national debt. And wonder why no one is covering it.

The media has not reported that the National Debt in my first month went down by $12 billion vs a $200 billion increase in Obama first mo.
Only he would say shit like this. Let's take a moment

jetjevons

Bish loves my games!

You're exactly right. These are assistant level magic tricks. Look at this stupid thing I'm doing over here with press briefings, not the undermining of basic civil rights, the destruction of the EPA, climate change denial, health care abolition, suppression of freedom of speech, etc. etc. etc.

This is essentially the News Media's fault. They let Trump get away with saying and doing insane things throughout the campaign in the interest of rating's, dollars.

Whoopsies! Now they're paying the real price.

Trump Admin got a head start in the war against Media, and the Trump's are now going on a full out de-legitimatizing campaign.

Media is trying to play catch up, but it may be too late.

Who do the American people trust more? The media? Or the government?

It'll be interesting to see who comes out on top!

God bless the USA.
Yep this is a junior post for sure. Point at media, say it's their fault for this and don't offer anything else except "huehue"

You couldn't be more obvious if you ended with MAGA

If they really stopped covering anything about him he would actually be less popular and wouldn't had been as popular before as well. A complete no trump news ban would go a long way but they can't do it. They can't stop themselves. But, it would be fantastic to know he is basically non existent. They can still report on what the administration does and you guys are wrong to believe reporting negativity against him makes things change, just fuels his supporters more.

He would also flip out now m seeing everyone completely not give a shit about him. All his important events going completely unnoticed. Would be amazing

Just imagining him walking out to give a speech to a full media blitz and only seeing empty chairs and some college kid newspapers would just be too funny. If the press goes, they should film each other and give accounts of thier days or something. Make him disappear all the way to 2020.
Yeah it would be so funny to stop reporting on his actions so he gets to do whatever the fuck he wants and no one would know until its too late hehe xddddddddddddddddd

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom