• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CNN: White house blocking them and other news outlets from attending press briefing!

Status
Not open for further replies.

mackattk

YslMojA.png

https://twitter.com/GlennThrush/status/835211530216046595

That is true.. All those rich mar-a-lago members have direct access to the Trump administration.

What the media needs to do is keep showing what Trump says and go into complete overdrive by attacking him with his own words and the effects of his policies. Never mind some shady stuff the IC found, never mind some leaks here and there, they need to SHOW what Trump says rather than SAY he did this. His supporters will spin it however they like, but just as Trump got his supporters to believe his lies by spamming his bullshit over and over again, maybe outlets like CNN should do the same thing with their "fake news".

But the facts need to be more than people just citing sources and stuff that people said. Seeing is believing. People need to SEE him say horrible things and SEE what the effects of those horrible things are. You can say they already do this, but they need to do MORE of this. I mean, this needs to be on a constant, non-stop basis.

It's easy for someone to call FAKE NEWS at some article with cited sources. It's less easy for people call it when they're actually SEEING that fake news with their own eyes.

Of course, they'll spin it as hard as they can until the cows come home, but that's why the media needs to constantly throw this stuff at people over and over again to exhaust them.

The left are exhausted right now finding so many things to protest against, so let's exhaust them by giving them so many things for them to spin.

they literally show clips of him lying and then show evidence to show he lied. barring going into people's homes and holding their eyes open ala clockwork orange, there's not much else they can do. just get more militant about fact checking and calling a spade a spade i guess. and removing the moron trumpers they give a pedestal too as well

Nerazar

Is the goal of the lying to lie so much that it just becomes part of the routine?

You should read 1984 again or read on the history of the Soviet Union. Or Nazi Germany in that sense. They will lie routinely so that you cannot tell fact from fake anymore. People will also stop caring as long as [insert minority or foreign element] is being repressed and [insert fake news fromt he WH] is being proclaimed as "winning so hard". It's not that Russians are stupid, they know that Putin is a lying scumbag who is stealing tax payer's money - but they also know that asking the wrong questions will get them ... deplaced. They arranged their lives around the corruption and that was the way to survive the SU. That's all they know.

It's about to become the reality in the US as well.

ahoyhoy

Unconfirmed Member
Not exactly, they can terminate press credentials. But if they can't provide sufficient reason, it could be argued that them being denied access is for the purpose of censoring the free press which could be considered a violation of freedom of the press. This would probably have to go the Supreme Court but I could totally see even a conservative court finding in favor of the press.

I'm sure the WH can find some inaccurate stores published by these outlets and use them as sufficient proof to justify withholding their press badges.

And besides that, what would a remedy to this case look like? Who's access to the White house press briefings is protected under the Constitution?

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
About 3 weeks ago, I lost my thread posting privileges because I openly pondered at what point the need for violent revolution became a reality.

I'm still asking myself that question, as Donald Trump continues to erode the very foundational pillars of our society.

But hey, gotta remain civil, right?

Why does the Trump administration always do crazy shit on Friday?

Because they think we will be less likely to react if we are focused on our weekends. This fascist turn is designed to exhaust the population and make us too complacent to fight back. We work hard all week, we don't want to have to go out and protest and call our reps on the weekends.

But we have to, because it's the right thing to do for our country.

Bishman

I'm not sure if you meant this as a rhetorical question, but it's so it gets buried over the weekend and people forget about it by Monday I assume. It would also be harder to quickly react with legal action if they do something awful on a Friday, though people managed to at least get something done with the immigration order.

Classic business tactic. Release bad news on a Friday, hope investors will forget about it by Monday when the markets open. But... it doesn't exactly work when not applied to a publicly-traded company.

Yes it was a rhetorical question. I am noticing a pattern. It is probably Bannon's idea.

RPGCrazied

Damn, you got FN coming to the defense. If you have FN turning you got problems....

Bret BaierVerified account
‏@BretBaier

Bret Baier Retweeted Mediaite
Some at CNN & NYT stood w/FOX News when the Obama admin attacked us & tried 2 exclude us-a WH gaggle should be open to all credentialed orgs

they literally show clips of him lying and then show evidence to show he lied. barring going into people's homes and holding their eyes open ala clockwork orange, there's not much else they can do. just get more militant about fact checking and calling a spade a spade i guess. and removing the moron trumpers they give a pedestal too as well

I never said that they DIDN'T do this, I said that they needed to go nuclear with this, along with calling out every Trump supporter who immediately yells FAKE NEWS on the show.

While I agree, I think the results of the election prove that it was always a horse race.
The results of the early voting in states that allowed it showed a noticeable shift away from Clinton and towards Trump after the Comey letter story started dominating the airwaves. The House Reps duped the press that first Friday by making it seem as if Clinton was getting indicted and press never seemed to backtrack once the story got rolling and of course now we know that was all for nothing. In my opinion they played a huge role is us being where we are today.

ZOONAMI

So, Obama.

They will say that Obama tried to block Fox News from a gaggle, which I guess is true.

He didn't end up going through with it though and this is several organizations, so it's really not the same thing.

Satisfies their crazy base though as soon as Obama, blocked, and Fox News are uttered in the same sentence.

They won't pay attention to the actual sentence or any of the context.

thespot84

About 3 weeks ago, I lost my thread posting privileges because I openly pondered at what point the need for violent revolution became a reality.

I'm still asking myself that question, as Donald Trump continues to erode the very foundational pillars of our society.

Never, peaceful revolution is more productive and effects longer lasting change.

What is going on over there americans

The raw truth? We're slowly, but surely, becoming a fascist state. A lot of us are still fighting against it, but key areas that are needed to truly fight are MIA and toothless.

Yeah, it's time kick this administration out by force now.

Never would happen. The army would step in if people charged the White House, and unfortunately, I don't have the faith in them to chose the right side. It would, quite possibly, end up giving Trump more power in all reality.

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
LOL Lying is really easy for those guys.

That's not a lie. In the era of Trump the mega-rich people are live-tweeting security meetings from the ballroom of his golf resort, normally these things would be done in a back room in Washington. Truly the most accessible president ever!
as long as you give him $200000
!

This isn't illegal so it would be very difficult for me to say this is the tipping point.

Karkador

Banned
Unless the White House is compelled by the First Amendment to provide these briefings - and they aren't - then there's no violation here.

Whether or not they hold the briefings is independent of whether press are allowed in or not.

This is a question of access, which does have some court precedent in favor of.

whytemyke

Honorary Canadian.
It's so stupid.

They're not cutting off their access to the White House. Like the networks/papers are still gonna know everything going on. It's a completely symbolic move that will just galvanize the popularity of everyone kept out who has been critical of the White House.

The response to being called authoritarian isn't to act MORE authoritarian. It's to do stuff that is anti-authoritarian and make your detractors wallow in it while they have to cover it. Obviously Trump is too stupid to understand that concept though. Dude is easily one of the dumbest Presidents in history. Like jaw-droppingly stupid and incompetent.

sangreal

That's from a Supreme Court opinion...

My opinion is that it would be hard to argue but I'd imagine a good lawyer could make a case that would at least get in front of a judge. Trump and the administration has called out news outlets as fake news many times, especially CNN directly. The Press Briefing is access to the white house for the press. I'd like to think you could argue that Trump and the administration is unhappy with CNN's reporting and therefore took action against them by taking away their access to the white house.

Legally I have no idea how well this stands up, but in my non expert opinion that's what you do...

but again, where in that quote does it say anything about access? It's about prohibitions on reporting. Would you call it unconstitutional for a President to only give interviews to favorable outlets? or no interviews? Would it be unconstitutional to exclude Breitbart?

(for the record, I find this move deeply disturbing and I'm not trying to defend it, only the constitutional aspect)

LosDaddie

Banned

And who would this violent revolution be directed towards? Who is leading the charge?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom