• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CNN: White house blocking them and other news outlets from attending press briefing!

Status
Not open for further replies.

zethren

Banned
The free press needs to slaughter them in the headlines day in day out. There is no way the WH can beat them in this fight. Their small propaganda "news" and opinion sites can't stand up to the media at large.

Steel

Banned
Umm from 1st amendment entry on wikipedia

The Free Press Clause protects the right of individuals to express themselves through publication and dissemination of information, ideas and opinions without interference, constraint or prosecution by the government.

See Bartnicki v. Vopper, 532 U.S. 514 (2001)

I'm pretty sure news outlets can sue the government and argue this is interference and constraint from the government.

They're not being prevented from reporting on what happens there, they're just being prevented from entry. Again, that's fucked up but not strictly illegal.

Tecnniqe

Banned
ClP774m.jpg

Apzu

Impressive, he's going through the populist's policies list faster than I expected.

If Trump wants to act like a south american dictator, he should learn with us that you should call censorship "democratization of the media" instead of just flat out doing it.
Yep, he's still rough around the edges when it comes to explaining why he does what he does, but it's his first month so he gets a pass.

Freedom of the press clause is to prevent the government from interfering with the distribution of information and opinions. Couldn't this technically be seen as the WH interfering with the distribution of information by blocking traditional reporting outlets?
It's a nice idea, but it doesn't really hold water. By this logic, you'd have to let anyone into a press briefing who calls themselves a journalist, otherwise you're "blocking the press."

This is terrible. The worst part about this is that they likely want these publications to report on this and be outraged by it so that the people that already hate or dislike the media will see them as spoiled brats complaining they can't get access. Media is in a lose-lose situation.

CNN had a hand in normalizing this buffoon. Now they're getting their reward.
Yeah, while I fear for the future of our democracy (and lives in general) I don't feel a bit sorry for the media. They invited this by putting ratings above decency and honesty during the campaign. Next time don't spend the last two weeks of a presidential campaign reporting almost exclusively on right wing propaganda in order to create a fake horse race and drum up viewership.

sflufan

Banned

The Free Press Clause protects the right of individuals to express themselves through publication and dissemination of information, ideas and opinions without interference, constraint or prosecution by the government.

I'm pretty sure news outlets can sue the government and argue this is interference and constraint from the government.

And absolutely nothing that is going on here contradicts that at all.

This is petty, slimy, etc., but in no way is it "unconstitutional".

Got

Banned
This is the time Twitter should step up and block any communications from anyone connected to the Trump regime.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
This is the time Twitter should step up and block any communications from anyone connected to the Trump regime.

Too busy banning people who call nazis out.

Sephzilla

They're not being prevented from reporting on what happens there, they're just being prevented from entry. Again, that's fucked up but not strictly illegal.

This could be interpreted as government interference and constraint, however. I'm not a judge though

Blizzard

Banned
Why does the Trump administration always do crazy shit on Friday?
I'm not sure if you meant this as a rhetorical question, but it's so it gets buried over the weekend and people forget about it by Monday I assume. It would also be harder to quickly react with legal action if they do something awful on a Friday, though people managed to at least get something done with the immigration order.

Why does the Trump administration always do crazy shit on Friday?
Classic business tactic. Release bad news on a Friday, hope investors will forget about it by Monday when the markets open. But... it doesn't exactly work when not applied to a publicly-traded company.

sangreal

they haven't been stopped from doing any of those things (yet)

Nowhere in that quote, which isn't the actual text of the amendment mind you, does it say the press has to be invited to the white house. It says right there that it is about expression and dissemination of information, not collection of it

the tradition only started in the 1900s

Baleoce

This isn't a war on press. This is manufacturing total control on information, and it's fucking disgusting.

The stupid part is that the press briefing provides an opportunity for the White House to get their own narrative out there (and bash the press). Can't do that as easily if nobody is covering you. (No, not everybody reads alt-right sources.)

Basically the Trump administration not thinking things through again. The more they push the press out, the more they will alienate everyone, except the fringe radicals.

adj_noun

The New York Times, the Los Angeles Times, and Politico were also excluded from the meeting, which is known as a gaggle and is less formal than the televised Q-and-A session in the White House briefing room.

The Associated Press and Time magazine boycotted the briefing because of how it was handled. The White House Correspondents Association is protesting.

The conservative media organizations Breitbart News, The Washington Times and One America News Network were allowed in.

Christ.

TS-08

Unless the White House is compelled by the First Amendment to provide these briefings - and they aren't - then there's no violation here.

I am also hoping foreign press like the BBC boycott the White House. In fact I want no Press anywhere to publish ANYTHING from the White House. It won't happen but I can dream.

Nerazar

The stupid part is that the press briefing provides an opportunity for the White House to get their own narrative out there (and bash the press). Can't do that as easily if nobody is covering you. (No, not everybody reads alt-right sources.)

It's more about delegitimizing the press we know and to establish a new reality where there are no facts to report, just blogs and "alternative" "media" outlets and their perspectives which we have to consider the same way as the NYT for example. If Trump continues to attack quality media outlets and to speak in favor of Breitbart and co. his supporters will start to only believe Breitbart and TrumpTV and whatever he tweets.

Give him some time and everybody will read alt-right sources.

ahoyhoy

Unconfirmed Member
This could be interpreted as government interference and constraint, however. I'm not a judge though

Any such ruling would be partisan or overreaching as fuck.

Basically: do all media outlets that request access to the White House deserve it? If Kotaku wants in OK the press briefing, should they be required to be admitted?

I am also hoping foreign press like the BBC boycott the White House. In fact I want no Press anywhere to publish ANYTHING from the White House. It won't happen but I can dream.

well trump already made comments about bbc the day they let him talk by himself. lol. let's see how foreign press have to say about this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom