• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Coca Cola :ZERO: how healthy is it ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gutek

Diet Soda fucks you up just as bad as regular soda. Either go with sugar soda (a la Pepsi co. throwback brands, Sierra Mist, Jones) or better yet, water.

Of course, everything is healthier than drinking sports drinks sans exercise.

Source?

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
For the same reason quick carbs are justified after a workout: to replenish. The reasons for replenishing are different of course, but after laying dormant for 8 hours, a small kickstart works wonders.

Of course, you need to eat something substantial with it as well. It's not an isolated glass of juice and that's it.

What does "a small glucose kickstart" do other than cause you to crash and become extremely hungry an hour or two later?

Also, what are you replenishing? I guarantee you did not deplete your glycogen stores over the course of a night's sleep. Nor should most people always be looking to keep their glycogen stores topped up, but that's somewhat of a separate topic.

My diabetic granduncle has been drinking diet sodas for ages, and most studies say that they don't raise your blood-sugar levels, so...

Unless there are more studies in general it's best not to take one study in isolation.

There's really no reason to think that it would elevate blood sugar levels. It's not like the liquid can turn into glucose, so at most it would be stimulating your liver to pump stored glucose into the blood, but that's unlikely. I think it's been shown that caffeine can have a small effect on stimulating glucose release, but it's quite small.

Kadin

edit: Kidney Stones come from lack of water. Those who drink tons of soda, don't drink water.
I'm not sure I understand this. A large part of any soda is... water.

Dr. MAUREEN STOREY (Senior Vice President, Science Policy, American Beverage Association): Soda is comprised mostly of water. A full-calorie soft drink has 90 percent water, and a diet soft drink is 99 percent water. Water is the most important nutrient that we have...

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=126511372

Akim

Banned
Diet Soda fucks you up just as bad as regular soda. Either go with sugar soda (a la Pepsi co. throwback brands, Sierra Mist, Jones) or better yet, water.

Of course, everything is healthier than drinking sports drinks sans exercise.

I hear this so much and any time I ask the person to cite their source I never get anything.

"It causes cancer."

"It's just as bad for you as regular soda, just drink that."

nCwsRaL.gif

verbatimo

I haven't drink Zero since 2006. Some substance made me nausea, I think it was the aspartame.

I can drink regular coke just fine.

Gutek

This whole thread is just FUD.

These are your risks, OP.

1. Mice developed cancer in Aspartame tests. Test findings on humans are inconclusive. Aspartame has been approved by the FDA after retesting it on humans. Apparently the mouse findings have been refuted: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=194638679&postcount=124
  2. There has been indications that artificial sweeteners might contribute to type 2 Diabetes. The jury is still out.

As for nutritional value: It's like drinking water. It will only hydrate you.

You should be good if you drink in moderation.

just type in something like is coca cola zero healthy and you will find it is not

soda should be like a every couple weeks type of drink
if you have it everyday you are fucking up imo

First 2 results:
To sum it all up, all of the ingredients in Coke Zero aren’t really bad for us. However I didn’t say they were good for us, but they won’t kill us, or decapitate us, or even put us in cement shoes. It’s all about drinking in moderation. Too much of anything can be bad, especially if that thing is a soda pop. Of course drinking water would be the best option if you want to choose a healthy drink. I would say for a soda pop Coke Zero isn’t that bad. It can be a delicious, pleasant drink that isn’t as harmful to your health as the media makes it out to be. Everyone just needs to remember to make smart choices when choosing how much they consume. Information about every ingredient is on the internet, it’s just taking the time to look it all up and being well educated about what you’re putting into your body.

Drinking Coke Zero in moderation is not likely to pose any potential health risks for healthy adults, but you should still think twice before consuming too much. Opt for healthier beverage options when possible. Milk or juice can provide your body with the nutrients Coke Zero lacks, yet still quench your thirst at the same time. Drinking nutrient-rich beverages such as these may also cause you to feel fuller, which may cause you to consume fewer calories through food or other beverages. Plain or sparkling water is also a good choice.

SURGEdude

It's not that the diet coke makes you gain weight. But it triggers you to still want real sugar.

Most people that drink diet coke are probbaly still eating like total crap.

That may be true for some people, but many of us who drink diet soda don't resort to increasing sugar intake elsewhere.

To answer OPs question diet soda like all soda and carbonated berverages is terrible for your teeth. Using a straw will greatly protect them when you choose to drink.

As for non oral health I think it's largely harmless. I'd even go so far as to say I'd rather somebody be properly hydrated by consuming large amounts of diet soda over someone who tries to stick to water but because of taste isn't drinking enough.

Highwind

I knew a guy that would drink soda every morning back in college. He'd then drink more at lunch. Probably more at dinner to. Very rarely did I ever see the dude drink water.

It blew my fucking mind just how much people drank soda. It was always a treat for me every now and then.

Water is king.

Gutek

That may be true for some people, but many of us who drink diet soda don't resort to increasing sugar intake elsewhere.

To answer OPs question diet soda like all soda and carbonated berverages is terrible for your teeth. Using a straw will greatly protect them when you choose to drink.

As for non oral health I think it's largely harmless. I'd even go so far as to say I'd rather somebody be properly hydrated by consuming large amounts of diet soda over someone who tries to stick to water but because of taste isn't drinking enough.

More FUD

There's a myth that carbonated drinks of any kind can leach calcium from your bones or damage your teeth; however, the claims are unfounded. Only cola drinks have been connected to low bone mineral density, and although carbonated water has slightly more acidity than plain water, it won't significantly damage tooth enamel. A study published in 2001 in the "Journal of Oral Rehabilitation" found that although sparkling mineral water had a slightly more erosive effect on teeth than still water, it was 100 times less than soda.

Note: the "Cola" referred to here is non Diet Coke.

Tesseract

Banned
just stay fit and eat well, then you can have your liquid cake (no synthesise)

smoke weed too, and swim

dank polar bear strokes, ketogeneses fat burning bro

Shpeshal Nick

aka Collingwood
It's actually probably worse for you than real Coke.

Your body knows what to do with sugar. Your body has no fucking idea what to do with the artificial sweeteners.

It took me ages to realise drinking Pepsi Max and Coke Zero was the reason I couldn't lose stubborn kilos. I figured drinking them would be "better" than drinking Coke.

Yeah no. Once I stopped drinking them, I lost 6 kilos in 2 months without even doing exercise. You shouldn't drink soft drink at all, but if it's only going to be once in a while, stick to real Coke.

just to be clear , i am not drinking this stuff like it's water ( although during my school years i came dangerously close to that )

i usually drink water or tea or juice or anything basically but occasionally i crank one of these open ( especially in Summer) it's my guilty pleasure i suppose .

And yeah i should have made the question how much is it less unhealthy ?

A can a day is fine. The biggest concern from diet drinks (soda, tea) is damaging your tooth enamel. Beyond that, it's water with no energy content. Feel no guilt. :)

As for the whole "insulin response from artificial sweeteners" thing, I know it is not the case for myself from insulin testing I did when I started my ketogenic diet.

120v

depends on what you define as "healthy"... you're not getting any sugar or empty calories. if you're watching your waistline it's a no brainer compared to regular sodas, fruit juices, ect

as for what the preservatives, aspartame, ect will do to your body in the long run, that's another story.

Akim

Banned
It's actually probably worse for you than real Coke.

Your body knows what to do with sugar. Your body has no fucking idea what to do with the artificial sweeteners.

It took me ages to realise drinking Pepsi Max and Coke Zero was the reason I couldn't lose stubborn kilos. I figured drinking them would be "better" than drinking Coke.

Yeah no. Once I stopped drinking them, I lost 6 kilos in 2 months without even doing exercise. You shouldn't drink soft drink at all, but if it's only going to be once in a while, stick to real Coke.

nice anecdotal evidence, we're done here folks

no way you could have been eating less calories

Source 1

Source 2

My diabetic granduncle has been drinking diet sodas for ages, and most studies say that they don't raise your blood-sugar levels, so...

Unless there are more studies in general it's best not to take one study in isolation.

1. The studies that show it doesn't elevate blood sugar have shown that if you drink diet soda, and don't eat anything else at the same time, you won't see an IMMEDIATE spike in blood sugar. Even so, the scientific consensus seems to be that if you drink it at least once per day, your fasting blood sugar level will increase eventually (see source 1 above)

2. The scientific consensus seems to be that it's bad for diabetics (again, source 1)

3. Your uncle may have been doing that for years, but it may still have been bad for him

4. One has to keep in mind, when discussing medical research, that everyone is different. Results are usually applicable to the population at large, and should serve as a guideline, but they may not be applicable to every single individual. It is absolutely possible that while artificial sweeteners are bad for most people, your uncle is an exception who can handle it just fine.

Gutek

OP, real talk.

It is significantly less unhealthy than regular coke. Especially because of the 0 sugars and 0 sodium. If you want to get off the sauce, though, try 1 can a day.

Once you feel comfortable with 1 a day, go down to 1 every other day.
Keep it at 1 every other day for the rest of your life and live a happy life.*

*unless new research proves Coke Zero is really bad for you. Then stop immediately.

There's really no reason to think that it would elevate blood sugar levels. It's not like the liquid can turn into glucose, so at most it would be stimulating your liver to pump stored glucose into the blood, but that's unlikely. I think it's been shown that caffeine can have a small effect on stimulating glucose release, but it's quite small.

Um, you're replying to a post which quoted information that indeed does give a reason for thinking that and even provides a mechanism for how it happens.

Ignorance is bliss I guess

Shpeshal Nick

aka Collingwood
nice anecdotal evidence, we're done here folks

no way you could have been eating less calories

That's obviously my experience. I purposely chose to do nothing different except cutting out the diet drinks (I also didn't go back to regular soft drink).

My diet remained the same and I stopped working out to see. I was around 76kg and just could not get down no matter what I tried. I adjusted my diet to eat better, started working out an extra day per week, nothing. No change.

As soon as I cut out the diet soft drink. 6kg just dropped off in 2 months. That's also stopping the gym strangely enough.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Um, you're replying to a post which quoted information that indeed does give a reason for thinking that and even provides a mechanism for how it happens.

Ignorance is bliss I guess

"Information?" It was a theory presented by a single study, which some in here are already claiming has been debunked.

Even if the theory (that artificial sweeteners stimulate specific gut bacteria growth in a way that leads to being able to get higher glucose yields from food) were true, it still would not lead to an expectation of increased blood sugar levels after drinking an artificially sweetened beverage independent of other consumption.

As long as you can't generate glucose from water, then there is no reason to expect you can do so from diet sodas.

"Information?" It was a theory presented by a single study, which some in here are already claiming has been debunked.

Even if the theory (that artificial sweeteners stimulate specific gut bacteria growth in a way that leads to being able to get higher glucose yields from food) were true, it still would not lead to an expectation of increased blood sugar levels after drinking an artificially sweetened beverage independently of other consumption.

As long as you can't generate glucose from water, then there is no reason to expect you can do so from diet sodas.

Right, so diet soda is perfectly healthy as long as you never consume any other food. Marvellous!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom