• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

College Football 2013 |Week 2| - Directional schools: Pay to play

Status
Not open for further replies.

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member
I'm real interested to see who comes out at QB in garbage time for Tech this weekend against SFA. The options are -

1. Baker Mayfield continues to play the entire game to get more experience.
2. Davis Webb, the true freshman 2nd stringer, comes out to play and burns a redshirt in the process.
3. Clayton Nicholas, redshirt freshman 3rd stringer, comes out to play to preserve Webb's redshirt.

Been some conversation about how whatever happens could be an implication of where the coaching staff thinks Michael Brewer is in his recovery. General rumor is that he'll be back for the Kansas game in 4 weeks (missing SFA, TCU, and Texas State, only one of which we should have any sort of trouble with); if they believe that to be true, Nicholas may get playing time so that Webb doesn't burn his 'shirt. If they think it could be longer than that, Webb comes out to play garbage time as he will be the true #2 option for most of the season and they can't afford for him to not have experience.

Can't wait to see our first neutral site game this weekend!

It'll probably be like the FSU / USF game last year. The game was at USF's "home" stadium of Raymond James Stadium but the stands were at least 50% garnet and gold.

Apparently this UF/UM game is a sellout, which I find hard to believe. But given Miami's abysmal attendance figures, I won't be surprised to see up to 75% of the stands in ProSunSharkLifePlayers Stadium decked out in blue & orange on Saturday.

I started getting calls 2 months after graduation. I get about 10 calls a year from some poor undergrad.

Yep, I get at least one a year. I work for FSU. I just tell them I'll be happy to start donating to my alma mater if/when I stop working there. I already give them 40+ hours a week. I'm not going to turn around and give the money they are paying me back to them.

impirius

Motherfucker, you aren't the stormtroopers.

Sorry, didn't realize that was a UT thing.

pjzvq81n.jpg

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
anyone not surprised that Florida is jumping further in on the "special helmets" craze?

Figured that the 2009 SEC championship game would have gotten it out of their system.

Schmitty

(FRI) Wake Forest @ Boston College by 4
Florida @ Miami by 4
South Florida @ Michigan State by 13
Cincinnati @ Illinois by 13
Oregon @ Virginia by 21
South Carolina @ Georgia by 4
Syracuse @ Northwestern by 8
Navy @ Indiana by 11
How did i pick Indiana!
Texas @ BYU by 10
West Virginia @ Oklahoma by 17
Arkansas State @ Auburn by 11
Notre Dame @ Michigan by 4

mre

Golden Domers are chickenshit!!
Relax, that helmet is just some sick fan's pipe dream; never to see the field.
Our school has fans who poison historic trees and teabags opposing fans, and yet your school still manages to have worse fans than us.

pxleyes

Banned
Our school has fans who poison historic trees and teabags opposing fans, and yet your school still manages to have worse fans than us.

Just like the state, we attract a melting pot of folks. Some are just crazier than most. Odds and all that.

Enfinit

Yep, I get at least one a year. I work for FSU. I just tell them I'll be happy to start donating to my alma mater if/when I stop working there. I already give them 40+ hours a week. I'm not going to turn around and give the money they are paying me back to them.

Where do you work? I'm chilling at WVFS 89.7 now.

Enfinit

Nice! My wife was the PR Director (I helped out) for a few years and DJed. My bro was a DJ back in the day as well.

That's awesome! I've been on the production staff for a while, but I'm just about to pitch a new sports show next week.

EVERYONE BETTER LISTEN TO IT.

No, BYU wins the ones where you don't give them a good chance and then they lose one or two that they should.

I went back to investigate your claim further and found out BYU hasn't beaten a ranked team since 2009. They are 0 for their last 6 tries against a top 25 AP team. So, I don't know what upsets you're referring to, but I don't recall from recent memory BYU being so low that beating another unranked team was celebrated as winning a game they shouldn't have won. Or are you referring to a couple upsets from 2009 or older?( Thanks for upsetting OU that year btw ) In the past 4 years I wouldn't say BYU has won any game that they shouldn't have.

GAF Pick'em Week 2 Games
(all games Saturday unless otherwise marked)

(FRI) Wake Forest @ Boston College by 4
Florida @ Miami by 4
South Florida @ Michigan State by 4
Cincinnati @ Illinois by 4
Oregon @ Virginia by 14
South Carolina @ Georgia by 7
Syracuse @ Northwestern by 21
Navy @ Indiana by 7
Texas @ BYU by 7
West Virginia @ Oklahoma by 14
Arkansas State @ Auburn by 7
Notre Dame @ Michigan by 4