• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS!!! |OT| July 2017 | Princess, I've Seen the Way You Look At Me.

I'm definitely following RedHeadedOwl.

giphy.gif

arkon

Read through Saga 1-6 and got a hold on vol 7 at the library whenever it comes in. Also read through Preacher 1-2 and just borrowed the last 4 trades today. Gotta say Saga and Preacher both lived up to the hype. I couldn't put either comic down and in particular the pace in Saga is absolutely insane.

Also read Earth One Wonder Woman, Superman American Alien, and Red Son. Never read WW before and I love the change they made with Steve Trevor. That line he had about why he was on Diana's side was amazing. Also I think I've become a legit fan of Supes. And it baffles even more me how DC did him so dirty in the current movies :(.

Edi:Also looking to read Kingdom Come and my local library doesn't have it. So any reason I should get the recent deluxe edition for $22 or should I be ok with the paperback at $8?.

If you just want to read the story you can go for the cheaper option. Paperbacks tend to be the basics with no extras. The deluxe editions are usually hardcover and often have oversized pages plus other extras like interviews, covert art galleries etc.

yeah, it ain't as good overall but there's still a bunch of issues that are all-timers

also if you get through the not-Princess Diana arc that's a bit over half way through the run you should know that's pretty much the worst it ever gets and that it ends very strong

It seems a bit directionless. Just read the Hard Day's Night issue and it was a real disappointment, just going through the motions of a homage. U-Go Girl's diary issue was decent. I'll try to make it past the Princess Diana arc and see where it goes.
The Wolverine and Doop issue I am reading now is a bit of a welcome change.

But it was a pleasant surprise to see Pope and Cooke doing issues in the run!

Nelo Ice

Banned
If you just want to read the story you can go for the cheaper option. Paperbacks tend to be the basics with no extras. The deluxe editions are usually hardcover and often have oversized pages plus other extras like interviews, covert art galleries etc.
Thanks yeah all I care about is reading the story. Then paperback version it is.

Did you read Forever as well?

Edit: Hack/Slash news incoming?

If you like Kang Dynasty, you should try Avengers Forever.

Yup, retcons out the ass. They threw it in the first omnibus because it's kind of hard to place continuity wise when it happens.

Enjoyable story but a bit overwhelming for a noob to Marvel lore. Thankfully I enjoy that kind of stuff.

Has Kang done anything since Kang Dynasty? Curious how that's ever going to be topped.

Yup, retcons out the ass. They threw it in the first omnibus because it's kind of hard to place continuity wise when it happens.

Enjoyable story but a bit overwhelming for a noob to Marvel lore. Thankfully I enjoy that kind of stuff.

Has Kang done anything since Kang Dynasty? Curious how that's ever going to be topped.
Waid did some stories with him in the post-Secret Wars Avengers but nothing amazing. Busiek wrote the story to the new LEGO game where Kang is the main villain.

GAMEPROFF

Banned

He was in Hickmann FF

He's been used but nothing comes even close to being as good as Kant Dynasty

GAMEPROFF

Banned
Curious how they gonna deal with Avengers and if it will be
Avengers
+ New Avengers
+ Secret Avengers
+Every other 51638 Avengers books

It will be the first long running book to break the 1000

Damn, Davis-Hunt is sooo good. I can't think of many better artists currently working. (And I am saying that off only 5 issues). Cover for Wild Storm #7.

Ellis Newsletter said:
Issues 7-12 are going to be a little different, tonally, from the first six. If you liked the first six, you won't hate the next six, but, having laid the groundwork for the book, I can now do larger, weirder set pieces without breaking anything.

Damn, Davis-Hunt is sooo good. I can't think of many better artists currently working. (And I am saying that off only 5 issues). Cover for Wild Storm #7.
I love him talking about the covers:
Hello from out here on the Thames Delta, where I am leaking Jon Davis-Hunt's cover for THE WILD STORM #7 a little early which is bad but look at that damned thing. I love it. I wanted to go a bit sideways on the covers for issues 7-12, and found myself shouting at Jon and Marie about 1970s science fiction paperback covers, and sending stuff by the likes of Peter Elson, Jim Burns and the holy goddamn Angus McKie. (Who was also a rather fine comics-maker.) And I got this back. Perfect.

Yeah I really enjoy his art. Him, Zarcone, and Derington are some of my favorite artists on ongoings right now. They're such great fits for the books they're on.

Messi

Yeah I really enjoy his art. Him, Zarcone, and Derington are some of my favorite artists on ongoings right now. They're such great fits for the books they're on.

His art wasn't great on Clean Room imo. This seems better... The other two are top class. Also started rereading Squirrel Girl and the leap in art Erica Henderson has taken is massive.

His art wasn't great on Clean Room imo. This seems better... The other two are top class. Also started rereading Squirrel Girl and the leap in art Erica Henderson has taken is massive.
I didn't read Clean Room so I can't really speak on it but Davis-Hunt's art in Wild Storm is absolutely fantastic in every way. Not sure if you'd care for the book overall (doesn't seem like it's your thing) but he is putting out some amazing work in it.

Henderson goes without saying too. Her art in Squirrel Girl is always a treat. The fact that she is so consistent is even better too. She's done every issue besides one and an OGN (plus other work) without any delays or anything. Her and North are definitely my favorite creative team overall for Marvel, you can tell they really love working together and it's fun to see.

Lol, just been reading up about the major expansion Warframe is getting (f2p kiiind of destiny-ish thing on pc/console), and came across the news that it's getting a comic mini series from Top Cow/Image in October. I just thought aesthetically that was literally a match made in heaven lol. #1 cover is even a Sejic thing.

Anywya, that might be old news-ish but they put the first issue up for free to read & download as part of their con celebrations, thought some folks might be interested: Clicky

Top Bottom