• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS!!! |OT| July 2017 | Princess, I've Seen the Way You Look At Me.

duckroll

Monstress Vol 2

Pretty good. I like how the trades so far cover entire arcs which makes the story feel complete even as it is ongoing. Too bad it takes like a whole year for each to come out. Are the creators doing other stuff as well which delays their work on this book? I like the way the world is being expanded, and the Pirates of Dark Water vibe I sort of got in the first volume is much stronger here. Fun adventures, weird powers, etc.

Does anyone know why the first volume was significantly longer but priced at 10 bucks while this is shorter and priced at 16? Is the first volume cheaper as a hook for audiences?

Monstress Vol 2

Pretty good. I like how the trades so far cover entire arcs which makes the story feel complete even as it is ongoing. Too bad it takes like a whole year for each to come out. Are the creators doing other stuff as well which delays their work on this book? I like the way the world is being expanded, and the Pirates of Dark Water vibe I sort of got in the first volume is much stronger here. Fun adventures, weird powers, etc.

Does anyone know why the first volume was significantly longer but priced at 10 bucks while this is shorter and priced at 16? Is the first volume cheaper as a hook for audiences?

I think it's just to hook the reader to buy more of the series. They both have the same amount of issues in each volume.

Well done!!!

Give me a call if you or the others want to do a Cosmic Marvel version later before Infinity War. I can cover everything revolving around Mar-Vell, Warlock and Thanos from their creation up to the Starlin OGN's and Ewing's work in Ultimates.
That would be cool, but cosmic marvel isn't really in my wheelhouse but I think that Psy-
I think we'll continuously update the Spidey one for now, but I would be stoked in to helping out with the cosmic side.
Yeah he's got it haha
Sweet banner.
Thank you!
I have to admit that's a dope OT. So what is JC's new username? :3
JC is gone, time to accept that, local lad.
And isn't it fair to say, theres a little bit of JC in all of us as we post?

Messi

Seems Bendis lost a shit load of weight. Good for him.

19932473_1735846009766679_581547002899202048_n.jpg

duckroll

All image vol 1's are priced at $10. Issue 1 of Monstress was like 71 story pages thats why the vol 1 is bigger. That's around 3 issues worth and then you get more issues on top of that.

I thought it was something like that, since Kill or Be Killed was also 10 bucks, but then I looked at my Black Monday Murders and that was 20 bucks? Is Hickman special? :)

Sandfox

I thought it was something like that, since Kill or Be Killed was also 10 bucks, but then I looked at my Black Monday Murders and that was 20 bucks? Is Hickman special? :)

I just checked and it's more expensive to buy the Black Monday Murders trade both physically and digitally than it is to buy the issues individually.

duckroll

Wait, didn't you say that his Avengers run was even better than his FF? Maybe I'm misremembering.

Let's see what's in this one....

"COLLECTING: AVENGERS (2012) 1-23, NEW AVENGERS (2013) 1-12, FREE COMIC BOOK DAY 2013: INFINITY 1, INFINITY 1-6, INFINITY: AGAINST THE TIDE INFINITE COMIC 1-2, ASTONISHING TALES: MOJOWORLD 1-6, MATERIAL FROM SHANG-CHI: MASTER OF KUNG FU (2009) 1"

Lmao, there are 12 great issues of New Avengers in there and a bunch of toilet paper padding inbetween.

VanWinkle

Let's see what's in this one....

"COLLECTING: AVENGERS (2012) 1-23, NEW AVENGERS (2013) 1-12, FREE COMIC BOOK DAY 2013: INFINITY 1, INFINITY 1-6, INFINITY: AGAINST THE TIDE INFINITE COMIC 1-2, ASTONISHING TALES: MOJOWORLD 1-6, MATERIAL FROM SHANG-CHI: MASTER OF KUNG FU (2009) 1"

Lmao, there are 12 great issues of New Avengers in there and a bunch of toilet paper padding inbetween.

Wow that's crazy, I asked this group a little while back if his Avengers run is as good as his FF (a top 5 run for me), and EVERY ONE that answered said it was better. (edit: actually, messi and Psychbat said it was better, and whatsinaname said it was almost as good; my bad)

duckroll

Wow that's crazy, I asked this group a little while back if his Avengers run is as good as his FF (a top 5 run for me), and EVERY ONE that answered said it was better.

Toilet paper is me exaggerating, but I've been in Comics-GAF on and off for years now, and I've never seen anyone actually seriously put up a case for Avengers being better than FF. New Avengers possibly. The overall FF->A/NA->Secret Wars run being excellent? Sure.

His Avengers run in particular isn't bad, it's just not really satisfying. A lot of the stories are episodic, but they feel like they're leading up to something. Except that something never really comes. All the heavy lifting is done in New Avengers, and that's the most important thing going into Secret Wars. Everything in Avengers is just padding and wheel spinning.

Also, not everyone shares my opinion but I think Infinity was one giant poop of an event. Especially by Hickman standards.

VanWinkle

Toilet paper is me exaggerating, but I've been in Comics-GAF on and off for years now, and I've never seen anyone actually seriously put up a case for Avengers being better than FF. New Avengers possibly. The overall FF->A/NA->Secret Wars run being excellent? Sure.

His Avengers run in particular isn't bad, it's just not really satisfying. A lot of the stories are episodic, but they feel like they're leading up to something. Except that something never really comes. All the heavy lifting is done in New Avengers, and that's the most important thing going into Secret Wars. Everything in Avengers is just padding and wheel spinning.

Also, not everyone shares my opinion but I think Infinity was one giant poop of an event. Especially by Hickman standards.

Man, it's a shame to hear that. I hope I will get more enjoyment out of it than you did.

Messi

Every issue is oversized page wise and someone like Hickman can charge more. Worth it though.

Wait, didn't you say that his Avengers run was even better than his FF? Maybe I'm misremembering.

I'm kidding. I loved it enough to rebuy in hardcover.

duckroll

Yes. Also the individual issues of BMM were like 50 pages each.

Yeah but there are 4 issues total. And not every page is actual art because Hickman is being experimental. So basically it's about the size of Monstress Vol1, at twice the price! Hey, I'm not complaining, just saying that the difference can be pretty weird when you actually notice it!

Messi

Yeah but there are 4 issues total. And not every page is actual art because Hickman is being experimental. So basically it's about the size of Monstress Vol1, at twice the price! Hey, I'm not complaining, just saying that the difference can be pretty weird when you actually notice it!

What is art really worth though?

You should buy off Instocktrades if you are in the us.

I hadn't read Hickman's Avengers since they first released so I tried going back and they're kinda tough to get through. I can easily reread Fantastic Four and FF but Avengers is a bit of a drag.

I have really been enjoying BMM, though. It's an interesting mix of economics with those Lovecraftian themes Hickman loves so much (because he gets to draw weird symbols).

That's not to say Monstress isn't a fun book, too. The art in that series is nothing short of breathtaking.

How long does it usually take for IST orders to process?

I've had things ship same day, I've had things sit for a week. Depends if anything you order from them is backordered or not. Most of the time orders ship within a day or three. But you can't beat the prices in most cases, so patience is worth it.

Bane

Over the last couple of days I've been organizing my trades and omnibuses and have been looking to fill some holes. It's a real shame how much some of the oop stuff goes for. How the hell has DC not reprinted the Infinite Crisis omnibus? And I hope Marvel gets to reprinting Hickman's first FF, Brubaker's Cap, Bendis' DD, the first Annihilation, and JMS' Thor in the near-ish future. Anyone who's knowledgeable about such things have any idea if any of these are at all likely?

And am I imagining this or did DC announce new printings of the '06 Blue Beetle series?

I was sad to see Rucka's first Wonder woman run is being released in paperback again. I thought for sure that would end up as an omnibus.

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
Aizo, do you buy your comics in English or Japanese? Saw this video where a lady was in a Japanese comic book store that had comics in English and Japanese, which I thought was a bit odd. You'd never see anything like that over in America.

[edit]

When you buy physical, that is.

That's why when I do mega orders. I break them up in smaller chunks. Keep them over the free shipping line

There is no free shipping to Irishland.

Aizo, do you buy your comics in English or Japanese? Saw this video where a lady was in a Japanese comic book store that had comics in English and Japanese, which I thought was a bit odd. You'd never see anything like that over in America.

[edit]

When you buy physical, that is.

Kinokuniya books carries manga in English and Japanese. I used to have one in the local mall.

Cool, I ordered a bunch of Image volume 1's and Morrison's Doom Patrol book 1. Might cause space problems but I've decided to go exclusively physical trades, digital makes me bit too many books that I never read.

Might pick up the entirety of Morrison's New X-Men and Whedon's Astonishing for the hell of it.

VanWinkle

Over the last couple of days I've been organizing my trades and omnibuses and have been looking to fill some holes. It's a real shame how much some of the oop stuff goes for. How the hell has DC not reprinted the Infinite Crisis omnibus? And I hope Marvel gets to reprinting Hickman's first FF, Brubaker's Cap, Bendis' DD, the first Annihilation, and JMS' Thor in the near-ish future. Anyone who's knowledgeable about such things have any idea if any of these are at all likely?

And am I imagining this or did DC announce new printings of the '06 Blue Beetle series?

I was sad to see Rucka's first Wonder woman run is being released in paperback again. I thought for sure that would end up as an omnibus.

Of those, Id say Bendis DD has the best chance of a reprint, and Hickman's FF Vol. 1 has the least chance. But things come by surprise, so it's hard to tell for sure.

I don't recall seeing any kind of listings for the '06 Blue Beetle series. Would be nice, though.

Yeah, it's kind of sad that Rucka's WW is paperback instead of an omni, but they're nice paperbacks, and I'm just happy to see them get reprinted in a somewhat thick format.

Bane

Of those, Id say Bendis DD has the best chance of a reprint, and Hickman's FF Vol. 1 has the least chance. But things come by surprise, so it's hard to tell for sure.

I don't recall seeing any kind of listings for the '06 Blue Beetle series. Would be nice, though.

Yeah, it's kind of sad that Rucka's WW is paperback instead of an omni, but they're nice paperbacks, and I'm just happy to see them get reprinted in a somewhat thick format.

Yeah, I figure FF is a longshot as it's not been oop that long I believe. I know some DC runs have been getting both omnis and paperbacks so I'm hoping there's a chance for WW but I guess I'll grab the trades for now.

jackdoe

Yeah, I figure FF is a longshot as it's not been oop that long I believe. I know some DC runs have been getting both omnis and paperbacks so I'm hoping there's a chance for WW but I guess I'll grab the trades for now.
That's why I take a buy first attitude with a lot of these omnibus releases. The gaping hole in my Brubaker Captain America omnibus collection will never be filled (I'm only missing the Captain America Lives Omnibus but that retails for bonkers prices) and I try not to let that happen again.

Hey I'm new to DC Rebirth and loving it, but do I understand correctly that King's Batman has had a mixed reception? I'm really surprised by that honestly as I'm through Vol 1 and just starting Vol 2 and I'm waaaaaay into it. Its pretty dark and brooding so I could see how that could turn some people off but I think the writing is really damn good and Gotham and Gotham Girl are really interesting

Top Bottom