• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| June 2014. Bringing you great father-son bonding moments since 1940.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kipp

but I am taking tiny steps forward
Speaking of Flash, is the Waid stuff collected in any form? I've actually never read any Flash...
I know the Johns stuff is collected in those three omnibuses, but those are pricey for their page counts and I've read that the binding is awful.

Anyways, just finished Black Glove Deluxe Edition and just about to start re-reading RIP. Such great comics.
Am I the only one who was totally underwhelmed by Tony Daniel's art though? I mean, it was perfectly competent, but for such a great, unique story (referencing the issues between the Black Glove/hero reunion arc and the RIP arc), it was the most generic art ever. It really brought the specialness of it down a notch. Still fantastic comics though.

Green Arrow, Cyclops, Turtles, Loki and Foes. This is bound to be a good week.

DC COMICS
Action Comics #32
Batman Eternal #9
Green Arrow #32
New 52 Futures End #5
Swamp Thing #32

IDW PUBLISHING
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles #34

MARVEL COMICS
Captain America #21
Cyclops #2
Loki Agent Of Asgard #5
Miles Morales The Ultimate Spider-Man #2
Moon Knight #4
Original Sin #3
Superior Foes Of Spider-Man #12

VALIANT ENTERTAINMENT
Quantum And Woody #11

Messi

Marvellous list

Batman Eternal #9
Amazing X-Men #8
Amazing X-Men Annual #1
Black Widow #7
Loki #5
Magneto #5
Ultimate Miles-Man #2
Original Sin #3
Punisher #6

Smallish week.

LIST time

Amazing X-Men #8
Amazing X-Men Annual #1
Cyclops #2
Iron Fist: The Living Weapon #3
Magneto #5
Miles Morales: Ultimate Spider-Man #2

Will give those hacks Kyle & Yost one week to see what trainwreck theyre working towards now. I saw the preview and they turned Storm into some nagging den mother.

ibnZyQzFNQ9BvF.gif
ibnZyQzFNQ9BvF.gif
ibnZyQzFNQ9BvF.gif

I'm finally caught up on my backlog since I don't have to worry about school work anymore. Feels weird finally getting to buy new issues this week for a change.

List:
Amazing X-Men #8
Captain America #21
Iron Man #27
Loki Agent of Asgard #5
New Warriors #5
Original Sin #3
Superior Foes of Spider-Man #12

Kikarian

My list:

Punisher #6
Batman Eternal #9
Amazing X-Men #8
Amazing X-Men Annual #1
Original Sin #3
Ultimate Spider-Man #2
Cyclops #2
Moon Knight #4

In my crusade to lose all my money, I'm planning a really big order of trades. I usually use Amazon, but between shipping and handling it usually ends up costing almost twice the original prize.
Has anyone ordered off IST internationally? Or knows any alternative?
I live in Chile btw.

Zombine

Banned
So how legitimately awesome is Cyclops? I have it in my back log. Pulling all the X-Books is hard work. It takes a lot out of me.

In my crusade to lose all my money, I'm planning a really big order of trades. I usually use Amazon, but between shipping and handling it usually ends up costing almost twice the original prize.
Has anyone ordered off IST internationally? Or knows any alternative?
I live in Chile btw.
In my (euro) experience from a few years back, IST turned out to be pretty expensive shipping wise, though it was super nicely packaged. Alternatives to Amazon I've used in the past and would recommend are Better World Books and the Book Depository, though it might be a euro thing.

TBH, the clutter, weird pricing and unreliable oversized trade releases are what pushed me to move to digital. There are very few books I pick physical versions of nowadays.

So how legitimately awesome is Cyclops? I have it in my back log. Pulling all the X-Books is hard work. It takes a lot out of me.
I really liked the first issue. I don't think it's the best book ever but I felt that, like the trial of a Jean Grey arc, it captured pretty well the essence of these X space adventures I grew up with in the eighties.

fauxtrot

Banned
I did my usual booth gig for a friend's shop (Big Brother Comics) at the local quarterly con here in Sacramento and got to chat with Ramon Villalobos, who just started working for Marvel with What If: Age of Ultron #2 and some upcoming issues if Original Sin. He's a super nice kid and I hope he continues to find success! His art is very Quitely-esque, which isn't my favorite thing in the world, but Ramon can at least draw faces, so he's alright in my book!
;)

Kipp

His art is very Quitely-esque, which isn't my favorite thing in the world, but Ramon can at least decent draw faces, so he's alright in my book!

It's begun...

Everyone, take cover!

Edit: Just checked out Villalobos' art. He's got a pretty good style but there's something about it that doesn't look like it's quite there yet. I did like this quite a bit though:

Kipp

Now to completely ignore the fact that we were talking about Quilety for fear of starting World War 3 unintentionally.

Has anyone here read Miller's Robocop vs. Terminator? I just remembered that it's getting a reprint next month. It's Miller, so I'm super tempted, but I also know nothing about Robocop or Terminator, so I'm not sure if I'll "get" it. I mean, I'll probably buy it either way, but I'd like to hear some opinions on it anyways.

Messi

I read 10 comics today. All of them were bad. Had to clear out the backlog. Damn you Birds of Prey/Moon Knight/Suicide Squad final issues again.

Kipp

I looked up Villalobos, and waaaaaaait he's the guy who did this dope Quitely homage

definitely gonna keep an eye out.

Ooh. I didn't see that one. That's pretty awesome.

It's got that Quitely signature bunched up clothing, but a little more subtle which is kinda nice. Also that hair is very well done, if I do say so myself.

Owzers

I read 10 comics today. All of them were bad. Had to clear out the backlog. Damn you Birds of Prey/Moon Knight/Suicide Squad final issues again.

i dunno if i'd read an eleventh comic anytime soon if i read 10 bad ones....

Kipp

Maybe you ought to read some Life and Times of Martha Washington then to set things right.

You know, you especially would probably like it with the female protagonist and all.

I WILL get someone here to read that book if it's the last thing I do.

Messi

i dunno if i'd read an eleventh comic anytime soon if i read 10 bad ones....

I'm clearing out the last of my backlog tomorrow so it's the last two Batman black and white issues and 4 last issues of Lil Gotham. Should be decent right?

Maybe you ought to read some Life and Times of Martha Washington then to set things right.

You know, you especially would probably like it with the female protagonist and all.

I WILL get someone here to read that book if it's the last thing I do.

What's it about?

Edit : It's 600 pages you nut job lol ain't nobody got time for that.

Dalek

I just read Geoff John's Superman: Secret Origins and I really loved it. I wasn't familar with Gary Frank's artwork but it was perfect for the story. I mean, he drew Clark as Christopher Reeves and captured all those awkward mannerisms.

Edit: I see that Gary Frank did the art for the Shazam backup stories in new 52, so I have seen his work before.

Kipp

What's it about?

It's about this girl who grows up in the ghetto and joins the army and fights space-Nazis and tyrannical robots and all that usual stuff.

And nobody said you had to read all 600 pages in one sitting! I mean, you just read, what, 250 pages of comics today (or are comics 20 pages now?) so 600 pages you could do in just two days if you really wanted to. C'moooooooon.

I'm clearing out the last of my backlog tomorrow so it's the last two Batman black and white issues and 4 last issues of Lil Gotham. Should be decent right?

What's it about?

Lil Gotham is great. That'll help clean the pallet of bad comics. But moon knight is bad now? It seemed to start really strong.

Messi

Lil Gotham is great. That'll help clean the pallet of bad comics. But moon knight is bad now? It seemed to start really strong.

It's really not for me it's almost the polar opposite of things I like. I usually like female protagonists, team books, generally upbeat / fun tone. With art by someone like Amanda Conner or fiona staples. More recently Amy Reeder has lovely art. Most people here would tell you I have pretty bad taste so I would advise trying it for yourself even if I say it's bad.

Also too much white space where art could have been. Was that a printer error or draw your own panel sections?

Also I'm disappointed for just hearing that Charles Soule is leaving Thunderbolts (just read #26 today). I've been enjoying it thus far, and hopefully Ben Acker can do good on the book. He did write the annual, which I thought was pretty good, so I'm keeping my hopes up.

Kipp

I just can't believe so few gaffers even seem to know what it is, makes me feel like an old fart. And it's not even that old!

It seems like nobody really knows what it is. Case in point, I tried to find a seedy digital version of the comic to make my new avatar to show solidarity, and even though Miller is such a big name and you can find every other comic by him easily, it was nearly impossible to find a download of Martha Washington.
It's really shocking to me how completely ignored it is.

And guys, you can buy a used copy for LESS THAN $10 SHIPPED. Come on now. What more could you want.

Edit: And please don't forget about me now that I've changed my avatar, guys. Please.

Oh, and ecoshifting, you seem like a guy who's probably read Robocop vs Terminator. Have you?

Edit: And please don't forget about me now that I've changed my avatar, guys. Please.

You know I won't, nice choice! Yeah it was hard to find much of anything. :( I'm not even sure where you managed to find that one.

Oh, and ecoshifting, you seem like a guy who's probably read Robocop vs Terminator. Have you?

Nope, I haven't. Yet!

fauxtrot

Banned
I got paid 8 trades for working a con for ~8hrs, which I'd honestly do for free. One of which was Batgirl Year One! Super excited to read it when I get home. Maybe I'll post the full list after work tonight.

Kipp

You know I won't, nice choice! Yeah it was hard to find much of anything. :( I'm not even sure where you managed to find that one.

Nope, I haven't. Yet!

Thanks! I'm very pleased with it. Haha
And yeah, the reason I had to search hard for a digital version was because there were only like 5 images of panels from the comic on the whole internet and most of them were super tiny resolution.

Ah, rats. Do you plan to get the hardcover coming out in a month? MSRP is only $24.99, so that'll probably be $12.50 on IST. I'll very likely grab it. Even though I know nothing of Robocop or Terminator, I have faith in Miller to entertain me.

When you guys change avatars you are like new people to me.

I know. I feel the same way. I tend to only recognize people by their avatars (besides the people who post all the time). I also start to think of the people posting as if they were their avatars. I usually forget you're a guy since you always have a Harley avatar.

I got paid 8 trades for working a con for ~8hrs, which I'd honestly do for free. One of which was Batgirl Year One! Super excited to read it when I get home. Maybe I'll post the full list after work tonight.

I wish I got paid in trades...

I can't decide what to read next. My backlog looks like:

Batman Dark Victory
Kingdom Come
Catwoman Brubaker vol 2
Catwoman Brubaker vol 3
Wonder Woman n52 vol 1
Zatanna Shades of the Past
Daredevil Waid deluxe vol 1 1-10
Daredevil Waid deluxe vol 2 11-20
JSA Omnibus

Status