• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| March 2014. Longshot and Domino are hogging all the four-leaf clovers!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh yeah, duh.
Oddly enough Lemire doesn't list her in the line-up in the interview on CBR.

Obviously
Slade
is going to be in it as well.

When Lemire said to me on Twitter that he was writing Slade elsewhere (when asked if DS would be in GA), this is what he meant.

I did read it and I seriously think you are looking at it wrong.

As Normie is coming into the room he is looking for something, Liz notices she has something out that she shouldn't and comments on it. Instead of helping Normie look for what he's lost she ushers him out, hiding a what she forgot to put away. She says she's doing it all for him, then in the last panel it's revealed that she was holding the goblin mask

We know Normie hates spider-man because he thinks he took his father away from him,
he thinks something needs to be done sure but he's in no position to do it. Liz lost her husband and her son's father, she may think that not only Normie, but she may be better off without spider-man around. Basically, she's getting rid of spider-man for him

Liz as the goblin would have the exact same themes you were talking about, while making actual sense. Everything you said could apply to Liz just as much as it could apply to Normie, so why rule out the woman who is in the position to make all of this possible. Especially when she's the one hiding
the goblin mask

She's got motive, means, and opportunity.
Normie
only has motive, how was he supposed to set any of this up? It'd take money, time and the freedom to move around. He's got none of that.

Agree completely.

CorvoSol

Hawkeye is pretty great.

There is a cyclopes ongoing written by greg rucka coming out soon. it stars oringal 5 cyke and his dad going on space adventurers

Superior spider-rman has been a fun ride. Peter comes back next month in amazing.

jason Arron wolverine and the X-men was fantastic.(just skip the AvX issues)
also uncanny x-force if you havent read it yet

For X-Men pick up Joss Whedon's Astonishing X-Men. For Spidey I would recommend picking up Ultimate Spider-man from whenever you left off, otherwise Dan Slott's run starting from Brand New Day onward is pretty solid.

The 616 Spidey and Miles team-up is a book called Spider-Men; it's one storyline (five issues) and it's really good. 616 Peter in the Ultimate universe is great. As for Ultimate Comics Spider-Man itself: it might be different from the mainstream universe but that's part of the charm really. Miles is a great character and the supporting cast is fun too.

And yeah, Astonishing X-Men by Joss Whedon all the way. It's the first four volumes he wrote and it's constantly great.

For spidey, you should check out the gauntlet and grim hunt. Dan slott's run on amazing spider-man is also worth checking out.

Thanks guys, I'll look into it on Comixology and the like to see what kinda deal I can get out of them since I think there is no comic store in town.

Tizoc

I think if I could buy a whole storyline in one purchase that'd be how I'd like it. I mean, like I own the Dark Phoenix Saga, a collection of early Spider-Man stories, the Ultimate Spider-Man storyline where Peter faces Doc Ock and the Thrawn Trilogy and that's it.

I hear Miles is supposed to be a great character, but I'm sort of apprehensive about going back into the Ultimate Universe after so much of it went nuts. I heard there was a team up between 616 Peter and Miles, though? Was that any good?

Actually I've heard that after 616 had a chance to breath after all that OMD/BND stuff Spider-Man was actually fairly good for awhile, so if any of that was good I might be interested.

As to X-Men, much as I've made noise over the whole Cyclops thing in the past, I really wouldn't mind reading a storyline with him, Wolverine and the gang. I'm pretty vanilla in my "favorite Marvel characters" tastes, haha. I think Jean Grey and Hawkeye are probably the only somewhat not generic choices I have for faves. Otherwise Cyke, Wolverine, Spidey and the Human Torch for me.

Also: How did Hawkeye turn out? I bought the first two issues and I really liked the artwork and remember it being a fairly interesting, more down-to-earth in scale Super Hero setting. I wouldn't mind picking that up again, I think.

Spidey and X-men recommendations?
Off the top of my head:
Cyclops Icons
X-Men by Grant Morrison, and Joss Whedon's run
JMS' Spiderman run (stop at the last issue that John Romita Jr. is artist on)
Ultimate Spiderman
Superior Foes of Spiderman

PsychBat!

Banned
Spidey and X-men recommendations?
Off the top of my head:
Cyclops Icons
X-Men by Grant Morrison, and Joss Whedon's run
JMS' Spiderman run (stop at the last issue that John Romita Jr. is artist on)
Ultimate Spiderman
Superior Foes of Spiderman

Dan Slott's run on Amazing Spidey and Superior.

posted without comment

j3SJehEBpc6wf.jpg

Messi

And you still keep buying it. :(

I know... I just...every month if have renewed hope that it might be the month that it clicks. It happened one during Zero Year when Layman wrote Selina but my hopes are fading in Nocenti's grasp. I just hope that with Selina getting a big role in eternal it will force a new writer on the main Catwoman book. Right now Nocenti has Selina nowhere near her role in Eternal and is making no progress towards it.

Help me :(

LTTP I know, but dat Superior Spider-Man. Damn.

I'm gonna miss you, Otto ;_;

Can't believe it ends next issue. I've gotten so much enjoyment out of SSM.

Dan Slott and Ramon Perez have a Spider-Man: Year One kinda story coming soon, it's gonna be like Spider-Man/Human Torch: I'm With Stupid, I believe. There's a brand new bad guy who took inspiration from Spider-Man called Clash, and its supposed to have a simple Spider-Man-influenced design, something Steve Ditko could have reasonably came up with back in the day.

53343cf859ee7.jpg

I say he looks like a cross between Spider-Man, classic Electro(BRING BACK THE DITKO MASK), and Spellbinder from Batman Beyond.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Dan Slott and Ramon Perez have a Spider-Man: Year One kinda story coming soon, it's gonna be like Spider-Man/Human Torch: I'm With Stupid, I believe. There's a brand new bad guy who took inspiration from Spider-Man called Clash, and its supposed to have a simple Spider-Man-influenced design, something Steve Ditko could have reasonably came up with back in the day.

53343cf859ee7.jpg

I say he looks like a cross between Spider-Man, classic Electro(BRING BACK THE DITKO MASK), and Spellbinder from Batman Beyond.

Damn, he looks pretty old school.

Yea, apparently this new mini-series is supposed to bridge the gap from Amazing Fantasy 15 to the original Amazing Spider-Man #1. So basically it's Spidey's Zero Year.

I think Slott's doing it just to get out of having to tie into Original Sin though :lol

Which would exactly be like Snyder getting out of Forever Evil with Zero Year :lol

JEKKI

question about the current Xmen run!!

I read up thru Battle of the Atom, then stopped coz the story was terrible and I was spending too much money lol.

wasnt there a part when
Mystique knocked out or subdued Dazzler and took her place?

like, is that still a thing? I cant remember if any of those characters were in Battle of Atom...

Messi

Damn, he looks pretty old school.

Yea, apparently this new mini-series is supposed to bridge the gap from Amazing Fantasy 15 to the original Amazing Spider-Man #1. So basically it's Spidey's Zero Year.

I think Slott's doing it just to get out of having to tie into Original Sin though :lol

Which would exactly be like Snyder getting out of Forever Evil with Zero Year :lol

Yeah I'm OK with this. Spidey has no secrets.

I read up thru Battle of the Atom, then stopped coz the story was terrible and I was spending too much money lol.

wasnt there a part when

like, is that still a thing? I cant remember if any of those characters were in Battle of Atom...
As of the latest UXM,
yes, Mystique is still taking Dazzler's place.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Clash looks great, I can't wait for the new mini-series to come out.

Which one?

I won't say, maybe in one more day

Undoing that arc would consume whatever any Spidey writers had planned. Whoever eventually undoes it is going to have their whole run be about that, unless they end with it. Then the next guy's run will be all about that.

I always said OMIT was like bringing up a nasty argument you had with your significant other a couple years ago because "I swear I can explain!", and nobody's happy and why the fuck did you even bother. Just keep telling new, good Spider-Man stories, please.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
I always said OMIT was like bringing up a nasty argument you had with your significant other a couple years ago because "I swear I can explain!", and nobody's happy and why the fuck did you even bother. Just keep telling new, good Spider-Man stories, please.

They had to do it eventually, but they should have done it right away and gotten it over with.

OMIT was pretty meta in that it was exactly what you describe both in the story and for all of us.

wasnt there a part when

I think that happened in Uncanny Xmen, but not during the BoTA event.

Yes, its still happening, and a MAJOR plot point at the moment.

Messi

Can we be careful talking about Battle of atom. I'm reading it at the moment and I really don't want more than I've already seen spoiled. Thanks :)

I wonder if Deadpool will be in more current x-men stuff. I like when he is in books with the them.

Speaking of Deadpool. Night of the living Deadpool ended with a whimper. Really disappointed with the ending.

Owzers

You shouldn't post pictures of Bendis comics, people may be having a good day until they see that. I don't even remember that comic....

Bendis get a lot of shit(some deserivingly) but his New Avengers stuff was awesome. They felt like a real famiily and the relationships between characters was really good. They got on each other s neerves but came to save the day . loved that it has c-lsiter like cage and iron fist even doctor strange! plus it had immonen and line yu on art!.

Dark Avengers was pretty rad as well. Good take on Norman

Messi

Bendis get a lot of shit(some deserivingly) but his New Avengers stuff was awesome. They felt like a real famiily and the relationships between characters was really good. They got on each other s neerves but came to save the day . loved that it has c-lsiter like cage and iron fist even doctor strange! plus it had immonen and line yu on art!.

Bendis gave us Miles Morales so he is good in my book. Also I tend to like his stuff...

the chris

Bendis is great at writing street-level heroes(Daredevil and Ultimate Spider-Man), but stumbles horribly when it comes to big events and cosmic level stuff(Age of Ultron and Guardians of the Galaxy.)

Owzers

Bendis books are best read on Marvel Unlimited, that way when nothing happens after 10 issues you don't have to scold yourself for spending $40 on nothing.

I started hating his writing during New Avengers, right around Secret Invasion.

Dark Avengers was pretty much Bendis grasping at the magic Ellis made with his Thunderbolts run. He even got Deodato on it.

I did read it and I seriously think you are looking at it wrong.

As Normie is coming into the room he is looking for something, Liz notices she has something out that she shouldn't and comments on it. Instead of helping Normie look for what he's lost she ushers him out, hiding a what she forgot to put away. She says she's doing it all for him, then in the last panel it's revealed that she was holding the goblin mask

We know Normie hates spider-man because he thinks he took his father away from him,
he thinks something needs to be done sure but he's in no position to do it. Liz lost her husband and her son's father, she may think that not only Normie, but she may be better off without spider-man around. Basically, she's getting rid of spider-man for him

Liz as the goblin would have the exact same themes you were talking about, while making actual sense. Everything you said could apply to Liz just as much as it could apply to Normie, so why rule out the woman who is in the position to make all of this possible. Especially when she's the one hiding
the goblin mask

She's got motive, means, and opportunity.
Normie
only has motive, how was he supposed to set any of this up? It'd take money, time and the freedom to move around. He's got none of that.

I guess it hinges on whether or not
Liz
is a red herring or the reveal. I think regardless the person under the mask is
irrelevant and likely to just be a puppet, such as the body of Norman Osborn
. It also explains how and why the Goblin King was able to
assume control over the Spider Slayers
. I was under the impression though that Dan Slott had said the reveal would not be until the final issue. This is my first time reading Spider-Man though and also my first time reading the work of Dan Slott, so I don't know how much trust to put in his word. Obviously if that's not the case then everything I suggested in support applies to
Liz
. There might be another clue in the newly announced on-going Spider-Man 2099 series, as
Miguel is mentioned as having to deal with both Tiberius Stone and Liz Allen
. The question still remains though, why did
Spider-Man 2099's spider-sense alert him to Normie
?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom