• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Concord | State of Play Reveal Trailer

Sonik

I never said reception to HD2 was negative, I said it was hardly there at all and many people claiming it was DOA

It getting 20k likes to some video is irrelevant. It sold 12M

OK let's say that's what you meant, you still do understand the vast difference between a game not being on many people's radars because it was just revealed just a year ago and the marketing was non-existent and a game that is being received extremely negatively by gamers because it looks like generic corporate slop, right?

OK let's say that's what you meant, you still do understand the vast difference between a game not being on many people's radars because it was just revealed just a year ago and the marketing was non-existent and a game that is being received extremely negatively by gamers because it looks like generic corporate slop, right?

The same arguments were made against HD2 on this very board

Last edited:

Sonik

How could the same arguments have been made about Helldivers when it was obvious it was received quite well by the people who checked it out? Where are these threads where everyone was negative towards the game? Link them to me

Not many were interested. Lots thought it was GaaS garbage
I’m looking through the thread of its reveal and it seemed to escape a lot of that criticism at least for the most part, I know Sony itself was catching flack for focusing on GAAS but helldivers seemed to have a wholly different response from the majority from what I’m reading. Then again it’s not a new IP

BbMajor7th

I don't think anyone considered HD2 cynical corporate slop. Folks simply recognized that a mostly unknown IP from a largely unproven developer being sent to fend for itself in the Thunderdome of live service gaming meant the game had near zero chance of success. Most also assumed that the publisher's lack of confidence was probably reflective of the quality of the game (this is normally how it goes). The speculation was reasonable - that the game became an extremely rare viral hit doesn't invalidate what were perfectly sane assumptions prior to release.

Concord looks bland, derivative and cynical and smells far more similar to the reception that SS: KTJL received prior to release.

Last edited:

Fbh

I’m looking through the thread of its reveal and it seemed to escape a lot of that criticism at least for the most part, I know Sony itself was catching flack for focusing on GAAS but helldivers seemed to have a wholly different response from the majority from what I’m reading. Then again it’s not a new IP

Yup.
Some will say "people said the same stuff about Helldivers 2" by cherry picking some specific posts, but overall it's simply not true.
No one predicted HD2 would be this big, but at least the reaction was always more positive due to the more unique and likeable style and the first game which many people loved.

This is different. Not only is there nothing unique about it, but the lame Marvel writing and DEI heavy design is actively off putting

Last edited:

tmlDan

yea, thats because the first game had a cult following who loved it, if it was brand new? people would hate on it just like Concord

gothmog

Gold Member
Watched the whole reveal again. I'm excited to try the beta. The game seems like something I want to play: Overwatch but with Destiny like abilities. Also I like the guardians of the galaxy feel of the universe.

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
yea, thats because the first game had a cult following who loved it, if it was brand new? people would hate on it just like Concord
So people hate Concord because its new?

Yeah Right Judging You GIF

kaizenkko

People trying to defend this game are just nuts. lol

It's not for me, but I can look at Marathon or Helldivers and say: ok, it looks good. But with Concord, for God's sake... It's simply the biggest pile of shit since Fairgame reveal last year.

Last edited:

tmlDan

It's not for me, but I can look at Marathon or Helldivers and say: ok, it looks good. But with Concord, for God's sake... It's simply the biggest pile of shit since Fairgame reveal last year.
you completely lost the argument when you mentioned fairgames. That game had no gameplay, its incomparable.

Last edited:

FoxMcChief

Gold Member

It just screams generic, while trying to entice people with third rate guardians of the galaxy banter and cutscenes.

tmlDan

txDS6zw.jpeg

Indeed it's right up there with Farming Simulator on steam, and that's a pretty big deal, like you said people don't really talk about how massive farming simulator is on NeoGAF either.
are you for real, the games 8 years old. I also play it on battle.net and you aren't sharing numbers across all platforms.

use your brain, mate.

edit: idk if you're being sarcastic or not lol

Last edited:

STARSBarry

Gold Member
are you for real, the games 8 years old. I also play it on battle.net and you aren't sharing numbers across all platforms.

use your brain, mate

No it's not, Overwatch is 8 years old, your not allowed to play that anymore, Overwatch 2 is a brand new free 2 play experience which is so radically different they needed to put 2 in the title and delete the old one.

Also Farming Simulator is available across multiple platforms and launchers and is a paid experience vs free.

In many respects it has a much harder time reaching these numbers on steam, use your brain mate, Farming Simulator is huge.

Last edited:

hinch7

These massive studios and their subsidiaries are in a stranglehold of their own doing by endlessly pandering to a specific demographic and now we're ending up with a washed up hero shooter where the robot is a "he/him" and the goddamn alien is "undecided" about their pronouns.

72lf.gif
That pronouned robot made me chuckle.

Everything for this game looks to be designed with what the demographic thinks they want and not what they want. Including ripping off, GotG and OW. About the DEI stuff, not surprising considering there are ex-Bungie people there including the director for the game. It wouldn't be so bad if they made the characters at least somewhat appealing like Overwatch. But that was at a time where diversity and inclusion virus didn't spread like wildfire in the industry. And now we have bland uggo 1 and 2 who appeals to no one. Sadly its the sword they choose to fall on. And will blame everything and everyone else when it fails.

Last edited:
The pronoun thing is so nuts. "Undecided" lol. We really do share the planet with a bunch of weird cultists now that obsess over this ridiculous shit and it forms part of their whole identity to the point that they inject it into videogames.

Watched the whole reveal again. I'm excited to try the beta. The game seems like something I want to play: Overwatch but with Destiny like abilities. Also I like the guardians of the galaxy feel of the universe.
The problem PlayStation made was not releasing a beta when announcing Concord. Games like Overwatch are generally disliked for the majority of the gaming community that don't play the hero-shooter genre. Concord could be the best Arena shooter ever and I still think it would have gotten slammed no matter what

Look at a game like Marvel Rivals. Just by watching youtube videos, the game doesn't look very good at all. However, Marvel Rivals was smart and announced their game at the same time as a playable Beta. The gaming community as a whole discovered it was a fun game to play. If Marvel Rivals had a similar trailer with no beta like Concord, it would have garnered the same negative press as Concord. But now, it has positive word of mouth because people are actually enjoying the beta. Massive fuckup by Sony to wait for press previews(hopefully next week) and a beta not until late July. Feel bad for the studio if this actually turns out to be decent

Last edited:
Crazy that they are dumping so much money into this (quarter billion?) while simultaneously ignoring arguably the biggest sales demographic (white dudes 18-34). And to top it off, it's going to be 70$ with mtx. These are clown moves.

Also, the amount of money spent to acquire and ramp up this studio. Sheeeesh.

Last edited:
Reactions: GHG

gothmog

Gold Member
The problem PlayStation made was not releasing a beta when announcing Concord. Games like Overwatch are generally disliked for the majority of the gaming community that don't play the hero-shooter genre. Concord could be the best Arena shooter ever and I still think it would have gotten slammed no matter what

Look at a game like Marvel Rivals. Just by watching youtube videos, the game doesn't look very good at all. However, Marvel Rivals was smart and announced their game at the same time as a playable Beta. The gaming community as a whole discovered it was a fun game to play. If Marvel Rivals had a similar trailer with no beta like Concord, it would have garnered the same negative press as Concord. But now, it has positive word of mouth because people are actually enjoying the beta
Totally agree on the beta. These games succeed when they feel good to play, so you have to either make it cheap/free or do betas.

tmlDan

No it's not, Overwatch is 8 years old, your not allowed to play that anymore, Overwatch 2 is a brand new free 2 play experience which is so radically different they needed to put 2 in the title and delete the old one.

Also Farming Simulator is available across multiple platforms and launchers and is a paid experience vs free.

In many respects it has a much harder time reaching these numbers on steam, use your brain mate, Farming Simulator is huge.
We should talk about Farming Sim more, games great lol

Crazy that they are dumping so much money into this (quarter billion?) while simultaneously ignoring arguably the biggest sales demographic (white dudes 18-34). And to top it off, it's going to be 70$ with mtx. These are clown moves.
its not going to be 70$. It is going to be 40$ just like Helldivers 2. Hopefully it is as light on MTX as HD2, but that may be more of a Arrowhead decision

its not going to be 70$. It is going to be 40$ just like Helldivers 2. Hopefully it is as light on MTX as HD2, but that may be more of a Arrowhead decision
But Helldivers 2 is a legit great game. The first one was great too. Arrowhead is imo a well established studio with talent and their games don't miss. There's no parallels between HD2 and Concord other than them both being multiplayer centric games.

But Helldivers 2 is a legit great game. The first one was great too. Arrowhead is imo a well established studio with talent and their games don't miss. There's no parallels between HD2 and Concord other than them both being multiplayer centric games.
What does that have to do with the price point?

And as great as Arrowhead is, PlayStation partnered and funded both HD1 and HD2. They are the reason Arrowhead was able to make the leap from being a AA studio to AAA studio. Playstation has similarly partnered up with Firewalk Studios since 2019. And I don't think Playstation would have acquired them if they didn't highly believe in Concord. And Firewalk has an insane amount of talent as well. The studio is filled with Bungie and Treyarch veterans

ByWatterson

Not playing this unless you can turn pronoun expression off.

My pronouns are "take/guess."

If you can guess right, we should all stop doing this stupid exercise.

Last edited:

cybertailor

Neo Member
what so wierd is that the logo and the music that plays over it, gives a more retro vibe, kind of a bit pulp, slightly reminiscent of Captain Future, but it feels like then some commity just stepped in and was like.. no no no... this needs to be Guardian of the Galaxy meets Overwatch.

really boring design. not interested

Last edited:

Tomi

Noone gonna play this
Too bad Sony is wasting money on garbage like this
Invest in quality sp games, nit this

kaizenkko

The only thing Fairgame has going for it is that Payday 3 massively bombed. There are millions of gamers just waiting for a decent co-op heist shooter. For that reason, it has the potential to be huge
I hope to be wrong, but in the end I think Sony will feel the sweet taste of failure.

Last edited:
I don't think anyone considered HD2 cynical corporate slop. Folks simply recognized that a mostly unknown IP from a largely unproven developer being sent to fend for itself in the Thunderdome of live service gaming meant the game had near zero chance of success. Most also assumed that the publisher's lack of confidence was probably reflective of the quality of the game (this is normally how it goes). The speculation was reasonable - that the game became an extremely rare viral hit doesn't invalidate what were perfectly sane assumptions prior to release.

Concord looks bland, derivative and cynical and smells far more similar to the reception that SS: KTJL received prior to release.

Concord's art definitely looks bland, but the gameplay looks a lot better to me than SS: KTJL ever did.

stickkidsam

Gold Member
This game looks like they copy pasted the map assets from Destiny… and the animations… and the abilities… and a sniper?

I don’t really mind if ya wanna rip off another game so long as you make it kick ass on its own terms. This though? This just leaves a bad taste in my mouth. Partly because the game seems bland (except big robo, love me chonky bots) and partly because Destiny pisses me off lol

And as great as Arrowhead is, PlayStation partnered and funded both HD1 and HD2. They are the reason Arrowhead was able to make the leap from being a AA studio to AAA studio. Playstation has similarly partnered up with Firewalk Studios since 2019. And I don't think Playstation would have acquired them if they didn't highly believe in Concord. And Firewalk has an insane amount of talent as well. The studio is filled with Bungie and Treyarch veterans

Yeah, they've been playtesting Concord for ages now.

If the game didn't have a good amount of fun I can't see why they would have stuck with the project and aquired the studio. Obviously they see something good. Even if Concord doesn't pan out critically, I don't see anything that suggests the gameplay itself is poor. They can always start a new IP or even be a support studio for Bungie.

No way they are getting closed down with that much talent so soon after one potential failure.

Top Bottom