• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Conor Mcgregor mentions Rocky III "dancing monkeys"; says meant circus-like celeb gym

Mister Wolf

Also if it was a mistake you think he'd have snuffed it out promptly. "No I was thinking of [insert dancing monkey scene movie here]". There's been enough time for a statement.

Why snuff it out when the mainstream media wont demonize him for it anyway. How much coverage did you read or hear about the Jose Aldo comment. A lot of people in here don't even know about it or they do and just don't give a fuck.

Ronin Ray

A professional boxer beating a woman is a worse act then some idiot making racist comments. Let's not get that twisted. On top of that they are both racist to begin with.

So yeah, Mayweather is on another level .

Your hypothetical would make sense of McGregor was going out there physically assaulting people outside the ring .

Once again who fucking cares there two shitty terrible people? Am I suppose to root for one because he is less shitty ? I don't really get your point? Does pointing out one is worse make the other better in any way?

Please?
double-ko.gif

M.J. Doja

Banned
Jesus man... there are people in this thread that are saying "oh well NOW I want to see Mayweather kill McGregor"

That's what this is about . So yes people ARE denying Mayweathers awfulness.

Who the fuck is supporting domestic violence or racist stereotyping against asians?

In the thread where the white dude said something fucked up, instead of acknowledging it, you people try to explain away other peoples feelings and continue in whataboutism.

You get to be idiots or racists, pick one, because the cognitive dissonance on display is too strong.

Nobody once supported the black man's actions. On the contrary, many here seem to support the white man's actions.

If both are bad, why is there an argument?

Because, racism, or stupidity. But since we're on GAF, try to understand your fellow
black, liberal, open-minded
man! It's the only luxury we're afforded in discussions like this, as opposed to other corners of the internet, where people really don't give a shit.

ISOM

Did anyone bring up this quote of Mcgregor's from way back when he was facing Aldo?

“I own Rio de Janeiro,” McGregor declared. “I’m sitting up here with my feet on the desk. What’s anyone up there going to do about it? Not one of yous are going to do anything about it. My name, the McGregor name, my family’s motto … means royal is in my blood. That goes way back. So for [Aldo] to say he is the king and I am the joker, if this was a different time, I would invade his favela on horseback and kill anyone that was not fit to work. But we are in a new time. So I’ll whoop his ass in July."

He seemed to be racist from way back when but for some reason it didn't seem to get any of the attention it deserved.

Are all the people in these big fights reprehensible? I remember Pacquiao made some anti-LGBT statements.

Rousey Sandy Hook Truther. Pacquiao LBGT demonizer. Mayweather domestic abuse. Boxing is dead anyways, there are more boxing movies then actual memorable fights every year now.

Mister Wolf

Did anyone bring up this quote of Mcgregor's from way back when he was facing Aldo?

”I own Rio de Janeiro," McGregor declared. ”I'm sitting up here with my feet on the desk. What's anyone up there going to do about it? Not one of yous are going to do anything about it. My name, the McGregor name, my family's motto ... means royal is in my blood. That goes way back. So for [Aldo] to say he is the king and I am the joker, if this was a different time, I would invade his favela on horseback and kill anyone that was not fit to work. But we are in a new time. So I'll whoop his ass in July."

He seemed to be racist from way back when but for some reason it didn't seem to get any of the attention it deserved.

Notice how the "he didn't know any better he's from Europe" GAF will never comment or reply to people mentioning this quote.

Who the fuck is supporting domestic violence or racist stereotyping against asians?

In the thread where the white dude said something fucked up, instead of acknowledging it, you people try to explain away other peoples feelings and continue in whataboutism.

You get to be idiots or racists, pick one, because the cognitive dissonance on display is too strong.

Nobody once supported the black man's actions. On the contrary, many here seem to support the white man's actions.

If both are bad, why is there an argument?

Excuse me but when people are saying they want to see the white man get beat unconscious now from the black man, that's supporting one over the other and dismissing one persons behavior to throw shade at another .

How is that "covert" though.
Because it's innuendo rather than direct. I'll say its very borderline though at best, and I don't really want to defend that statement as I agree it was racist

Why the fuck would we do that?
Because then you see all that you are looking at is the word "monkey". And the word "monkey" is not inherently racist, it only becomes racist when applied in a racially charged context. I don't think that racial context has been established at all, nothing to suggest he was talking about black people - in fact the context of what he was referring to had no black people in the scene.

Your argument is that he has been racist, so that simply mentioning monkey means he is being racist. That is ridiculous. Language is not so simple, my friend.

angelic

Banned
Notice how the "he didn't know any better he's from Europe" GAF will never comment or reply to people mentioning this quote.

I'll bite. What Conor meant by that is that if he was living in a different time, a less enlightened time, then those acts would be performed. Which is correct. Or put it this way, if any of us were living 500 years ago, we would be raised racist, we would act racist, the world would be racist. We would not know any better. He's not justifying it. It's tasteless, yes.

Thank god we are becoming more educated now, racism is obviously horrific...but the fact is the world used to be backwards, people were less educated, and slavery existed.

Alienous

Ireland is not in the UK.

I never said he wasn't racist, I'm just saying that that one word isn't racist here.

Oh, I thought you said outside of the US there was no racist or bigoted connotation associated with the word boy. The UK being outside of the US.

All I was saying was that outside of the US there is no racist or bigoted connotation associated with the word boy.

I think we're playing a game of pretend to say that Conor McGregor wouldn't understand the racist connotation of calling an adult black male 'boy'. I can believe it being a slip of the tongue, sure, due to Irish parlance, but he wouldn't be ignorant of what it means in that context.

So I'd say he gets one accidental 'boy'. Anything after that I'd chalk up to racism.

I'll bite. What Conor meant by that is that if he was living in a different time, a less enlightened time, then those acts would be performed. Which is correct. Or put it this way, if any of us were living 500 years ago, we would be raised racist, we would act racist, the world would be racist. We would not know any better.

Thank god we are becoming more educated now, racism is obviously horrific...but the fact is the world used to be backwards, people were less educated, and slavery existed.

You my friend, have gone from mental gymnastics to full on contortionism.

Also, I suspect you're trolling

exactly, conors a young guy, living mostly in the US these days, in a sport where the best athletes (DJ, Jones, A Silva, Cormier, Aldo etc etc) tend to be black. I really don't think he's racist. As someone who's followed him for 4+ years, I'm waiting to hear the explanation for this "monkeys" comment before condemning him.

Love of rap music or appreciation of black culture doesn't mean someone can't be racist.

I've met plenty of racist people with "black friends".

Edit:
Oh wait. You're joking aren't you :D

Desmond

Oh, I thought you said outside of the US there was no racist or bigoted connotation associated with the word boy. The UK being outside of the US.

I think we're playing a game of pretend to say that Conor McGregor wouldn't understand the racist connotation of calling an adult black male 'boy'. I can believe it being a slip of the tongue, sure, due to Irish parlance, but he wouldn't be ignorant of what it means in that context.

So I'd say he gets one accidental 'boy'. Anything after that I'd chalk up to racism.
I'm actually ignorant to its connotation in the UK. Is it racist too?

I just put two and two together as I studied race relations in college. All I was saying was that outside of the US there is no racist or bigoted connotation associated with the word boy.

The world is over exposed to American media. He is intelligent enough to know the meaning when talking to an African American as "boy".

And even if he didn't mean it as racist, which I think he did, it doesn't change the fact that it is inherently offensive to Floyd and African Americans regardless of the origin of McGregor.

I'd say the best way to look at it is that the word is to be defined by the offended. It's kind of like your Grandma using the word "negro" and her defence being "it was okay in our time". Well no, language changes over time and the onus is on the person using it to not offend.

angelic

Banned
You my friend, have gone from mental gymnastics to full on contortionism.

Also, I suspect you're trolling

You're entitled to your opinion, but im not waving the pitchforks at him just yet. He fights (and trains) in a black dominated sport, he embraces black culture, he rode a bicycle up the street singing snoop dogg. I really dont think he's a racist.

Oh and he is super business minded, he will respect the absolute hell out of Mayweather Promotions.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fIsTMpnX6a8

Mister Wolf

I'll bite. What Conor meant by that is that if he was living in a different time, a less enlightened time, then those acts would be performed. Which is correct. Or put it this way, if any of us were living 500 years ago, we would be raised racist, we would act racist, the world would be racist. We would not know any better. He's not justifying it. It's tasteless, yes.

The man thought back and reminisced on a time where he would be a slaver raiding a village for slaves and murdering all the people who weren't fit to be labor slaves and you're not offended by that?

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
I thought American cultural expansion meant you guys outside the country got some of our period piece books and movies. To Kill a Mockingbird? Huckleberry Finn?

You're entitled to your opinion, but im not waving the pitchforks at him just yet. He fights in a black dominated sport, he embraces black culture, he rode a bicycle up the street singing snoop dogg. I really dont think he's a racist.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fIsTMpnX6a8

Probably has black friends too.

That's a weak defence

I don't think Conor hates black people, Mexicans, other minorities etc. But he absolutely will use racism to evoke anger in his opponents and he has done it before. At that point there isn't much difference.

M.J. Doja

Banned
Excuse me but when people are saying they want to see the white man get beat unconscious now from the black man, that's supporting one over the other and dismissing one persons behavior to throw shade at another .

Well, they are professional fighters afterall.

AFAIK, most people disliked Mayweather first, now they dislike McGregor for their own reasons. In interest of the topic at hand though, if Mayweather actually whooped on McGregor, instead of the normal style of defending until the decision, it would make a lot of people happy because they actually got to see a decent fight.

Still, nobody supported Mayweather's previous actions, however irrelevant they are to this thread. I can throw shade at both sides and still be aware of the fucked up things they say. I'm half black and half white though, so I inherently have empathy towards "both sides".

TheOGB

Banned
Nothing after the favela invasion shit surprises me, really. But I already knew this would be a match of two colossal assholes punching each other.

Probably has black friends too.

That's a weak defence

I don't think Conor hates black people, Mexicans, other minorities etc. But he absolutely will use racism to evoke anger in his opponents and he has done it before. At that point there isn't much difference.

how the hell can he do racist things and somehow not be racist?

angelic

Banned
The man thought back and reminisced on a time where he would be a slaver raiding a village for slaves and murdering all the people who weren't fit to be labor slaves and you're not offended by that?

"reminisced" is rather hyperbolic, and it was promotional + a tactic to get into Jose Aldo's head. I'm not offended by it, nor the boy thing. They are products of differing cultural sensitivity. The monkeys comment need some explanation, which im sure we'll get tomorrow.

Why isn't the american news picking up this story? it's pretty blatant racism huh?

Sports news is certainly talking about it. Are you trying to downplay it or something because its not on CNN?

And yes, its blatant racism. Although some in this thread sure are making some dumb fucking excuses to say it isnt!

M.J. Doja

Banned
Mr.Shrugglesツ;243385980 said:
There's bigger racists in more important positions at the moment.

Well then thats /thread.

Sadly no, its worth discussing, if not just to hold our celebrities to a higher standard. Just because you're getting paid millions of dollars to rile people up and sell tickets, doesn't give anybody the excuse to be a public fuckstick. That's why apologies exist, anyway.

These days though, you're right. This story only serves to outrage. Since the diet racists don't want to learn a lesson from this, and the real racists are happy that there's a scapegoat.

Also there are plenty who just love to label somebody as a "racist" or "not a racist", like there's no grey area or we're all dense as fuck.

Mister Wolf

"reminisced" is rather hyperbolic, and it was promotional + a tactic to get into Jose Aldo's head. I'm not offended by it, nor the boy thing. They are products of differing cultural sensitivity. The monkeys comment need some explanation, which im sure we'll get tomorrow.

Instead of reminisced I should have said romanticized slavery times.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker

T9dgiDt.gif

Top Bottom